Thrill Kill for PS1 - Anyone played it?

Arakias

CAGiversary!
Feedback
116 (100%)
I have an incomplete edition where theres no music or cutscenes and some other glitches, but I heard a near-complete version was "released" on the internet.

Has anyone seen this floating around as a file, or even know if it exists? (Assuming you know what it is).

Share your opinions if you have!

I have it. I didnt like it much tho. It was kindof like soul calibur where you have million possible combos you can do and the combinations seem endless, but the characters were just funny and i couldnt take the game seriously. Its got all kinds of warnings when you load the game and you have to press key combinations to get into the game that i guess are intended to keep little kids from trying to play.

Overall I didnt like it but then Im not a huge fan of fighting games anyway.

I have it, at first I was real excited to play it since I figured if EA wouldn't release it, then it must be really violent. I played it 2 or 3 times and I haven't played it since. Had I gotten a chance to play it when it was supposed to come out, maybe I would have liked it more but the graphics weren't that great and the gameplay wasn't that good either IMO. I think the game would have sold well just because of all the attention it got. People still talk about the game, in PSM a few months ago, I think someone asked if it would ever be released. It's cool to have played it just to say you have played it but otherwise it's just another game to me.

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL']Anyone willing to trade/sell there copy to me?[/quote]
I might be able to work something. What's your IM tag? lets talk...

Yeah I played it too, a friend once brought it over and its like a game full of Voldo's that get really pissed of at the end of each match and then litterally rips the head of the first person touched. From wha I understand that Wu-Tang Clan fighting game that came out a year later was built on the same engine and does pretty much the same thing without those freaky Silent Hill/Twisted Metal type characters.

This game never came out, so those that have it, have burned copies and you likely need a modified Playstation system to play it. Dont pay any super high prices when its not a real disc, and it may not run (if not modified). Also its possible to download it from the internet but probably very hard to find.

The Wu Tang clan game is the exact same game, sans all the wierd bloddiness, and plus the Wu Tang Clan

I have the earlier version without cut scenes or endings. Regardless of that, the game is still pretty lame. Okay, yeah its funny to see a guy use his own arm as a weapon to beat people with but after playing once I have not playted since. I still have it b/c its a cool piece of gaming history, but its not something that I would have ever payed any more for. If that was the case I wouldhave bought wu-tang, and I didnt.

Seriously, don't waste too much time trying to get a copy of this, unless it's effortless, it's simply not worth the time.

There are plenty of copies of the final version around, ripped from the Gold Master.

It was secretly "made available" by Paradox after Virgin axed the title (not that Paradox will admit)-- the original soundtrack was not included for licensing reasons. If u wish to sample some of the original music, the link is:
http://www.pcbproductions.com/contagion/HTMLfiles/interactive/thrill_kill.html

Most copies play best with chips, as opposed to plug mods on the old PSX and PS1s, and it plays great with Bleem (PC) and CVGS (Mac). Any soundtracks you may find attached to your game are there because someone added the MP3 or WAV files during the authoring process when they re-wrote the disc image.

Thrill Kill is a fun game, and was quite good at the time it filtered out to the public. It is by no means deep or very sophisitcated, but gameplay is fast, furious, and funny. It is not very fancy compared to today's offerings, but still plays a pretty good game -- if not just for the absurdity of it all. An extra costume for each character can be unlocked by completing the training modes. The "professional" reviews that panned the bootleg were full-of-you-know-what, towing the "company line" by encouraging people not to bootleg it.

The game doesn't have cut scenes because it was never designed with cut scenes. However, there are ending movies for each character after the final boss battle. Some PAL BETAs were bootlegged and converted to NTSC, and are known to be missing the final FMVs. So just try and find one that claims to have the final FMVs and you will know that you have the complete game (minus the original soundtrack-which u could probably add yourself). Do not pay a premium for this game as it is very common.

The same engine was used by Paradox for a number of games on the PS1 including:

- WuTang Shaolin Style - which most closely matches Thrill Kill's gameplay, and is plenty bloody itself. With its Soul Blade like story mode, it is well worth your purchase, to show you what the next evolutionary step in the Thrill Kill engine was. Tons of unique characters, unlockables, and extremely difficult boss battles round out the package.

- X-men Mutant Academy 1 & 2 - moving away from the full 3-D movement of Wu Tang, Paradox was able to show how versitle its little "TK engine that could" was. Full of unlockable items, these games do a good job of showcasing the TK engine and all that it could do.

- Rock'em Sock'em Robots - perhaps the least exciting of the lot, and the last use of the TK engine, with a very limited range of attacks and combos. RSR offered the ability to customize your robots with the dismembered body parts of your enemies. It is a competant "kids" game, which may appeal to some, but which I found a little dull. Still, it looks and sounds good, and is just the ticket for an evening of fighting with younger gamers.

[quote name='Arakias']I have an incomplete edition where theres no music or cutscenes and some other glitches, but I heard a near-complete version was "released" on the internet.

Has anyone seen this floating around as a file, or even know if it exists? (Assuming you know what it is).

Share your opinions if you have![/quote]

That's the version I have as well. As the person above states, a near-final code version was released (we have the beta, essentially a tester's copy).

The game was going to be released by virgin interactive but EA bought virgin and canned the game because (supposedly) of the increasingly vocal whining about the violent content.

The beta stops at or before the boss and does not include all the moves, nor the music. The final code (to my knowledge) includes everything but still has some glitches and may have been a rush job on some things (missing moves?), anyway the best place to find a "gold" final version of thrill kill is to find a solid backup games dealer (often those that have Dreamcast backups should have thrill kill somewhere), check the yahoo auctions for anyone offering something like a pro action replay for psx or a dreamcast utopia disk (they will point you in the right direction).

Technically since the game was never released there is no legal reprecussions from buying a copy of the final code. The owners (EA) have no interest in even a budget release of Thrill Kill for the psx.

[quote name='"dragonfireflys"'][quote name='Arakias']The final code (to my knowledge) includes everything but still has some glitches and may have been a rush job on some things (missing moves?)[/quote]

Everything is there but the soundtrack -- all moves are there, and available for practice in the training mode and use in the fighting modes. Anything you hear to the contrary is just rumor. If it has the end game FMVs for each character, it is the final release version from the Gold Master.

It is a little buggy. Was it a rush job? I personally don't think so, given the long development cycle Paradox spent on the game, the fact that all the FMVs are rendered, and even the bonus costumes are implemented.

The only glitches that exist are based on the fact that it is a bootleg, so there are some loading issues relative to some mod chips, and definitely with plug mods--common to some bootlegs. It will usually freeze in two spots: 1) when loading a level--u should hear a deep chime halfway thru the load which lets u know the level is loading--no chime means that the load froze, and it is most common when loading the first level; 2) it often pauses or freezes during the last power-up, which can be really frustrating, because then u cannot execute the ending "thrill kills" that are only available on the last enemy.

If u can go the emulation route with Bleem or CVGS, that is really the best way to go as it will bypass the loading and freezing issues. U miss out on force feedback, but that is the price you must pay to play.

The soundtrack was not included because Paradox did not want to shaft Contagion over the intellectual property rights of the music--they did the honorable thing--a hint of the music is included in the opening FMV or on Contagion's site, whose link I supplied yesterday.

The final code release that is out there is literally from the Gold Master, so it is a complete game--the only other version floating around is Beta in both PAL and NTSC.

When TK surfaced, I bought 8 different versions, all from different "reputable bootleggers" (?) and all had the complete version, some had soundtracks of music attached (Thrill Kill Cult was a popular addition), and all had various loading issues on my plug-modded PSX (old gray model). They all played beautifully in emulation though.

You can use the Internet Way Back machine to view most of the last "Official Unofficial" site for TK here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20011205193147/http://www.gaminginsider.com/tk/website/
The site has been gone a couple of years now. U can also find lots of "homemade" and official case labels and disc labels still floating around.

I remember testing this game at Sony back in the day. Most of us were shocked that such a game would be released. It certainly would have raised the bar on violent games. I doubt the media would have made such a big deal about GTA3's violence had Thrill Kill released to the public when it was supposed to.

I played it at the time, I would have bought it as I was looking forward to it, but it wasn't anything special, was more the novelty of playing an unreleased game. It was cancelled very late in the cycle, the mags had all been hyping it up for quite awhile.

[quote name='erniecars']I have it. I didnt like it much tho. It was kindof like soul calibur where you have million possible combos you can do and the combinations seem endless, but the characters were just funny and i couldnt take the game seriously. Its got all kinds of warnings when you load the game and you have to press key combinations to get into the game that i guess are intended to keep little kids from trying to play.

Overall I didnt like it but then Im not a huge fan of fighting games anyway.[/quote] So here's the deal...I have the ePSXe emulator and a full version copy of Thrill Kill. It works fine...runs great...thats fine...the matter that I am dealing with is the screen size....it is a small box in the top left hand corner of my screen and I cant seem to make it any bigger...any suggestions???

It was actually quite a fun 4-player fighting game. We had a good time with it in college and it was essentially complete, no missing music or anything like that. I still have it actually.

[quote name='allyourblood']wow. this game is only available in bootleg/pirate/downloadable form. i'm surprised we're chit-chatting about trading/selling it.... ????[/quote]

You didn't look at the date of those posts, did you? ;)

I not only played it, I game tested it. Pretty wild game for its time. It will require a mod'ed pS1, or a Production (blue) PS1 (Not many of these around) I am willing to trade off a copy. Pretty violent and gory for a game originally scheduled for release in '98. It was cancelled a week before release when Virgin was purchased by EA, and EA was against publishing a game with a M rating at that time.

I will trade a copy. I think mine has cut scenes and music.

I'm still looking for a copy of the uncensored 'complete' version of this game. I still HAVE the Tips & Tricks mag from 1998 with the complete moves lists/combos laying around here SOMEPLACE.

It would be good to actually have a copy of the game to try out. I have a Pro Action Replay for the PS1 and a buttload of cheap PS1 consoles I bought from a small indy shop here for $1 each. So, if I had to do the 'disc swap' trick to get it to boot, I wouldn't care if I f'd up the system.

I just wish EA had let this game actually RELEASE, as this was the last game(up til the disappointment that was State Of Emergency) that I was buying into the hype for and really amped about buying ON release date.

THIS GAMES CANCELLATION is what has made me a fervent hater of EA and all the company gobbling nonsense they stand for. This coming from a one time fan of their Strike series on the Genesis and PS1.

Anyone with a full version of this game, PM me and let's try and make a deal for it. THANKS!!!

[quote name='Sinistar']Just curious if anyone has trided this with the PSX emulator for PSp, and if so how does it play?[/QUOTE]
I think it works without any problems that didn't already exist

bread's done
Back