The Official PC Topic for TES IV: Oblivion

Roufuss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
102 (100%)
Here it is, the official PC Topic, to not only talk about the game, but upcoming mods as well, using the TES Construction set. Since the 360 dosen't have the Construction Set, and as such our experience with the game will be drastically different from them in due time, I figure an official PC thread is in order.

So... I am pumped. I'm also pumped that the LE for the PC is only $60 (even though I'll find a way to get it cheaper!!).

Modders turned Morrowind from a great game into an amazing one, I cannot wait to see what they will do to Oblivion.

[quote name='Roufuss']Here it is, the official PC Topic, to not only talk about the game, but upcoming mods as well, using the TES Construction set. Since the 360 dosen't have the Construction Set, and as such our experience with the game will be drastically different from them in due time, I figure an official PC thread is in order.

So... I am pumped. I'm also pumped that the LE for the PC is only $60 (even though I'll find a way to get it cheaper!!).

Modders turned Morrowind from a great game into an amazing one, I cannot wait to see what they will do to Oblivion.[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiousity, what kind of mods were made for Morrowind?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Just out of curiousity, what kind of mods were made for Morrowind?[/quote]
Morrowind had all kinds of mods.. some added more extensive crafting to the game, others added random npc generation(and traveling npcs) to make the world seem less static.

Still other mods allowed for fillable bottles and containers, some gave the npcs daily schedules (something that they lacked originally.. they just kinda milled around regardless of the time of day), one mod called "better bodies" replaced the character models in the game with better looking ones, and several people made better bodies compatible clothing mods.

Still other mods re-textured the entire game with higher resolution textures and a whole bunch of other tweaks and improvements. Some mods even fixed spelling errors and typos left in conversation dialogues and in some of the world's books.

Here's a list of just some of the mods made for Morrowind..

http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm

[quote name='Robobandit']Morrowind had all kinds of mods.. some added more extensive crafting to the game, others added random npc generation(and traveling npcs) to make the world seem less static.

Still other mods allowed for fillable bottles and containers, some gave the npcs daily schedules (something that they lacked originally.. they just kinda milled around regardless of the time of day), one mod called "better bodies" replaced the character models in the game with better looking ones, and several people made better bodies compatible clothing mods.

Still other mods re-textured the entire game with higher resolution textures and a whole bunch of other tweaks and improvements. Some mods even fixed spelling errors and typos left in conversation dialogues and in some of the world's books.

Here's a list of just some of the mods made for Morrowind..

http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the mod that added about 100 new monsters into the game, either.

So basically the mods are more just tweaks rather than total conversions? I dunno, I think I'd rather stick with the 360 version cause I know that will run well but I don't know how it will run on my PC.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']So basically the mods are more just tweaks rather than total conversions? I dunno, I think I'd rather stick with the 360 version cause I know that will run well but I don't know how it will run on my PC.[/QUOTE]

The mods were tweaks, yes, but huge tweaks that drastically impacted how the game looked and played. Some of them may as well have been total conversions... one mod that I mentioned added 100 new monsters to the game, which pretty much changed the entire game.

I don't think anyone did a total conversion for Morrowind... nobody really needed to.

I went from the PC version, to playiing it on Xbox, and it felt so...limiting. I sold the Xbox copy the next day.

Wow I never did beat Morrowind. I just lost interest after a while. How were the two expansion packs? Any good?

I did however Beat Arena (back when it was new) without cheating and some of those damn riddles were hard. I also layed the crap out of Daggerfall but I made it to the end and then there was some glitch that stopped me from opening the casket? I vagualey remember this as it was a few years and many games ago.

Everyone forgot to mention that there are going to be official mods for Oblivion that you can buy. Since they're being made by the company, I'd assume they could be major in what they add to the game, especially since they expect us to shell out money for them.

Hopefully one of the mods will be to make it so you can fight while on a horse. Although they'll have to do something to make it so it's not super easy using that strategy. More "pikemenish" warriors/creatures?

[quote name='Swingman']Everyone forgot to mention that there are going to be official mods for Oblivion that you can buy. Since they're being made by the company, I'd assume they could be major in what they add to the game, especially since they expect us to shell out money for them.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know about that... that is pretty awesome.

Damn, I cannot wait for this game.

Here's a part of an interview - http://www.waiting4oblivion.com/fan_interview3.html

The announcement of the availability of regularly produced downloadable available content which will be charged for generated much controversy. Can you describe the overall strategy / philosophy behind the new approach? Is it purely a lucrative endeavor?

We are taking a different approach than we did with Morrowind. We want to be able to have content on a more regular basis and be able to dedicate the necessary resources to doing them at a certain level. Charging a small amount for this extra content allowed us to do this. Doing them for free this time around wasn't really something we contemplated. We didn't like the way it worked before and wanted to change it and do it better. Much like the game, if people think a plugin is worth it, they'll get it. If not, they won't.

I had such a blast creating my own house with the construction kit for Morrowind... I finished the Fighters Guild and Blades in the main game and was close to finishing Bloodmoon but lost my save game. I want to get back into it but Tribunal and Bloodmoon require high level characters and that would be a long, long time before I could get into it again.

Ah well, Oblivion ho! I can't wait for tomorrow!

I'm "obtaining" it right now (I have no idea how it'll run on my comp, so I don't want to risk $60 and have it not work). Can't wait to try it out :D

So's anybody heard anything about how well this game is running on comps? I really hope I can run this on high with my 7800gtx and 2gb of RAM, but ya never know.

[quote name='Chacrana']So's anybody heard anything about how well this game is running on comps? I really hope I can run this on high with my 7800gtx and 2gb of RAM, but ya never know.[/QUOTE]

I will let you know as soon as my damn Best Buy gets it in stock. The 5 other stores in my district have it, but not mine.

[quote name='Chacrana']So's anybody heard anything about how well this game is running on comps? I really hope I can run this on high with my 7800gtx and 2gb of RAM, but ya never know.[/quote]

The game will auto detect a 7800 GTX at "ultra high" settings..

I should be getting it within a couple of hours.. I'll post screenshots and impressions when I do.

for fun, I'll also try it with dual core enabled/disabled to measure the performance difference.

Eh, well I'm picking it up in a few hours anyway... I've got 2 BB's and 2 CC's to check... does Wal Mart price match? I'd expect the most clueless employees there and I'd do that as a last resort even though going to Wal Mart makes me feel like a lower human being.

[quote name='Robobandit']The game will auto detect a 7800 GTX at "ultra high" settings..

I should be getting it within a couple of hours.. I'll post screenshots and impressions when I do.

for fun, I'll also try it with dual core enabled/disabled to measure the performance difference.[/QUOTE]

Really? That's pretty awesome then... if 7800GTX's automatically fall under ultra high (most games recognize it as high rather than ultra), then I'd assume that Oblivion's well optimized... which is important.

ITS OUT, i have 1 in my hands but i am in school so theres no chance of playing it until i get out which is 8 pm tonight :( have fun everyone!

Just got one at Best Buy... they PM'ed the collector's edition no problem.

Add a $10 reward zone certificate on top of it, and I walked out with the Collector's Edition for $32.09 after tax.

Good to hear it worked for ya. I'm trying that in about 10 minutes with the Fry's ad where it's $37.99... the ad's a bit blurry due to some printing issue, but that only makes it easier to run it by. Wish me luck.

If any plays Oblivion on a computer with 512 MB ram, then please let me know how well it runs. Hearing how great it runs on 2 GB ram doesn't do me any good lol.

Fom Gamespy,

"Into Oblivion: What we have to go through to play this game! We didn't get the Xbox 360 version because they had the wrong address and our boxed PC copy came factory sealed ... but empty! However, we did get the strategy guides in fine shape. Maybe we will review those."

i have a athlon 64 3200 with 1 gig dual channel corsair xms memory and a bfg 6800gs agp. if anyone has a comparable system would you please tell me how it runs. thanks.

[quote name='jughead']i have a athlon 64 3200 with 1 gig dual channel corsair xms memory and a bfg 6800gs agp. if anyone has a comparable system would you please tell me how it runs. thanks.[/QUOTE]

That's about equal to my system except I only have a eVGA 6800 and 512 MB memory. I'm hoping someone can let me know how well it would run on my system.

You might want to check out the forums on Gamespot. They have a thread with people posting how it is running on their systems. Looks like there's one close to yours and they're running it fine.

Picked it up this morning (10:00 am) at CompUSA in Tustin, CA.
Wasn't on the shelves so I got a representative to search it on the computer for me, he said it wasn't there. So I start to walk out the door when the manager comes up and asks what game I was looking for, I tell him and these two workers at the cash register tell him that they have it. Stoked.

I'm running it with Max. settings with HDR - enabled.
Runs well on:
3.4 Ghz
3 Gb Ram
Geforce 4 7600 GT

I am running it fine on an Athlon 3200, 1 GB of Ram, and a ATI x800.

Runs fine on High, with the draw distance set to Max on everything.

I'm running it on:
Athlon 1600+ (which is actually below minimum system requirements)
GeForce 6800
1G RAM

and it runs very well at 1024x768 with the graphics options set on the autodetect level of 'High'. The only performance problems I've seen so far is that it takes a while to open up my inventory/map/status windows. This is definitely a well-optimized game.

The only real problem I have with it, and its a minor nitpick, is that it feels more like a console game this go around then a PC game.

I'd disagree: so far, to me, it feels far less 'consolish' (if that's a word) than Morrowind. The controls are still extremely simplified, but the scope of the game is clearly far more ambitious, much closer to the level of Daggerfall.

Its still far too early to tell if the game will stand up as well to extended playing as Morrowind did, but so far, its looking pretty good.

[quote name='Roufuss']Just got one at Best Buy... they PM'ed the collector's edition no problem.

Add a $10 reward zone certificate on top of it, and I walked out with the Collector's Edition for $32.09 after tax.[/quote]

What did use use for the PM? I would love to get the collectors edition for under $50!

If anyone is running on anything comparable to a P4 2.8 Ghz with 1 gig RAM and a 6600GT please post how well it does--I'm debating getting this...thanks!..

[quote name='Swingman']I wish someone had the guts to try it with 512 mb Ram lol so I could know if it works[/quote]

just upgraded that before i got oblivion, I can tell you it still chops up a bit on my system which is

amd 3800+ dual core
pny 6800gs
1024 mbs kingston 3200 value ram

I'd say 15-30 outdoors avg, 30+ indoors almost at all times, my system takes a hit thats for sure, mostly lagging around loading areas and popup is also pretty prevelant.

HDR on feels like my mouse is covered in molasses. Having it notched down to bloom, feels much better. Framerate is great indoors, outdoors can be a little sluggish in areas.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
GeForce 6800 GT 256MB AGP 8x
1GB PC3200 (DDR400) Dual Channel

I just purchased another 512 MB so my system should be...

Athlon 3200+
1 GB Memory
Geforce 6800

I'm thinking that should be doable at least on medium to low settings.

[quote name='Swingman']I just purchased another 512 MB so my system should be...

Athlon 3200+
1 GB Memory
Geforce 6800

I'm thinking that should be doable at least on medium to low settings.[/QUOTE]

Wow relly thats what I am running....
ATI 9800 PRO
1 gig Dual Channel 400 Kenningston PC 4000
amd 2500 OC'd to 3200

Maybe I can play this..

Well, my specs are:

Athlon XP 2200+
Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB
1 Gig DDR ram.

And I can run it on medium, and I noticed no slowdown last night.

It would be close. I think that meets min. requirements but anything under recommended requirements gets some lag apparently.

[quote name='Drocket']I'd disagree: so far, to me, it feels far less 'consolish' (if that's a word) than Morrowind. The controls are still extremely simplified, but the scope of the game is clearly far more ambitious, much closer to the level of Daggerfall.
[/QUOTE]

The inventory system is horrible... I can't hit I just to get to my character inventory, or J for my journal, I have to hit Tab and go through a convoulted menu system just to get what I need.

Morrowind really took advantage of the fact I have a keyboard, Oblivion does not, using barely half the keyboard, maybe 10 keys top.

This is probably my only main fault, is that the inventory system sucks.

Surely the game is flexible enough to let you bind a key for inventory. Morrowind was known for letting you alter the game any way you want, after all.

bread's done
Back