Isaac Hayes did not quit "South Park" - his church quit for him

I think the reaction to this South Park episode would have been a chance for Scientology to really shake that "cult" image by just ignoring it or even laughing at themselves about it. Instead they've solidified this image by having one of their prominent members (probably) being bullied into quitting the show. If people had seen that Scientology doesn't take themselves too seriously to a fault then they might have a slightly higher opinion of it as a whole and the parodies and such would probably taper off. As it is now, they will only get worse.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I think the reaction to this South Park episode would have been a chance for Scientology to really shake that "cult" image by just ignoring it or even laughing at themselves about it. Instead they've solidified this image by having one of their prominent members (probably) being bullied into quitting the show. If people had seen that Scientology doesn't take themselves too seriously to a fault then they might have a slightly higher opinion of it as a whole and the parodies and such would probably taper off. As it is now, they will only get worse.[/QUOTE]

Really, all you have to look to is their poster boy Tom Cruise and his nutso antics. They're amusing yet at the same time quite revealing of this so called "church". If they shut him up a bit (like they should) then perhaps their image would have improved. This just makes everything worse for them.

They were saying on Howard Stern's show today that Tom Cruise has single handedly gotten that scientology episode pulled from Comedy Central's rotation and they're no longer allowed to air it. I'm not sure what the full story is but apparently he wont let Viacom use his image in Mission Impossible 3 unless Comedy Central agreed to pull that episode.

I read a pretty long and compelling article written for Rolling Stone about the religion and was pretty ataken back by the whole thing, interesting enough though is that they are based out of Clearwater Florida, and I was down there for months last year and never saw a one of them, kinda wierd but once I read the indepthness of the group and what they have to do regularly it wierded me out even more.

Very Long but detailed what I didn't know: http://www.rickross.com/reference/scientology/history/history92.html

Once again though I totally believe that Scientology is a cult and do not support it.

I don't belive this article. Trey Parker and Matt Stone both commented on him quitting. I checked his website the last time he updated it was November 1, 2005. It makes no mention of south park at all on his website.

I have a question why do people belive in scientology?
L. Ron Hubbard admitted to making that "religion" only to make money.

I believe in freedom of religion but I don't believe in trying to push it on others. Tom Cruise and other scientologist should just mind their own business. So someone was making fun of you and your religion? Be a man you god damn pussy.

[quote name='javeryh']I believe in freedom of religion but I don't believe in trying to push it on others. Tom Cruise and other scientologist should just mind their own business. So someone was making fun of you and your religion? Be a man you god damn pussy.[/QUOTE]

I agree, if someone makes fun of something you believe in. You have two options;
1. ignore them for they are ignorant, or looking for a fight. but on the otherside of the coin if you can't laugh at yourself. You have problems. The people who think that they are right in everything they do are the most dangerous to us as a people.
2. beat their monkey ass.

I just heard that Tom Cruise successfully pressured Comedy Central into pulling the "Scientology episode" from re-airing. He said he would not do any publicity for Mission Impossible 3 (which is from Paramount, who owns Comedy Central) if his demands weren't met.

is it really a bad thing if tom cruise doesn't do any publicity for his movies?

better yet, is it really a bad thing if tom cruise stops making movies?

i've only seen this guy act in 2 films: born on the 4th of july and magnolia. everything else is crap.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Oh yes, because Fox News is known for it's accuracy.[/QUOTE]

I bet it's true, though, because the episode aired quite a while ago (more than a few months). If Isaac Hayes himself was that pissed about it, he would have quit a while back.

[quote name='gregthomas77']Can you point us to that quote?[/quote]I doubt he could find a reference with any "authenticity". The quote was allegedly from L. Ron Hubbard in an internal memo to high ups within Scientology, and was posted on the net from an Ex-Scientologist.

I find it hella funny that his OWN son essentially disowned his father for taking advantage of people and raping their money out of them.

[quote name='gregthomas77']Can you point us to that quote?[/QUOTE]

Writing a penny a word is ridiculous, if a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion.

(from http://www.sweenytod.com/cos/didhesaythis.html)
This is a very famous quote. I believe that something is only as strong as the foundations on which it is built. The foundations of Scientology are L Ron Hubbard, and this is why I'm including this quote.

A good discussion on this is found here. More information can be found on the Urban Legends web site

The Church's media guide tells reporters that the rumor is confused, and that it was George Orwell who said it. In 1938, Orwell did write "But I have always thought there might be a lot of cash in starting a new religion...". However, Robert Vaughn Young, who was Scientology's spokesman for 20 years, says that Hubbard learned about the Orwell quote from him. Young further states that he met three people who could remember Hubbard saying more-or-less the famous quote. Nor did Hubbard write a rebuttal of the rumor -- Young claims to have ghost-written the rebuttal in the Rocky Mountain News interview.

I found the following in books about Hubbard and Scientology: "Whenever he was talking about being hard up he often used to say that he thought the easiest way to make money would be to start a religion." -- reporter Neison Himmel: quoted in Bare Faced Messiah p.117 from 1986 interview. Himmel shared a room with LRH, briefly, Pasadena, fall 1945.

"I always knew he was exceedingly anxious to hit big money - he used to say he thought the best way to do it would be to start a cult." -- Sam Merwin, then the editor of the Thrilling SF magazines: quoted in Bare Faced Messiah p.133 from 1986 interview. Winter of 1946/47.

"Around this time he was invited to address a science fiction group in Newark hosted by the writer, Sam Moskowitz. `Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous,' he told the meeting. `If a man really wanted to make a million dollars, the best way to do it would be start his own religion.' -- Bare Faced Messiah p.148. Reference given to LA Times, 27 Aug 78. Supposed to have happened in spring 1949.

On the side of the negative, a court document delcares Jay Kay Klien as saying:

On November 7, 1948, I attended a meeting of the Eastern Science Fiction Associaton at Slovak Sokol Hall in Newark, New Jersey.

L. Ron Hubbard was introduced by Sam Moskowitz as a "Renaissance Man", citing his attainments and accomplishments for this designation.

Nowhere in L. Ron Hubbard's lecture that followed do I recall there having been mention of religion as a means of acquiring money, nor do I recall anything of this nature in the following question and answer period.

Indeed, such material would have been out of place in a talk about the future course of events as they would affect human beings on this planet.

[signed Jay Kay Klien]

Scientology's web pages have a statement on this subject, and it can be found here. They say:
This is an unfounded rumor. One individual once claimed L. Ron Hubbard made such a comment during a lecture in 1948. The only two people who could be found who attended that very lecture in 1948 denied that Mr. Hubbard ever made this statement. And Mr. Hubbard himself certainly denied it [See quoted declaration above - BW].

Another famous writer from the same era who did make such a statement was George Orwell, who wrote to a friend in 1938 that "there might be a lot of cash in starting a new religion." His letter was later published as part of a collection of letters which was circulated widely. It seems that Orwell's comment has been misattributed to Mr. Hubbard. This was recognized by courts in Germany who enjoined those who had attributed such a statement to Mr. Hubbard from repeating it.

[quote name='psiufoxx2']I doubt he could find a reference with any "authenticity". The quote was allegedly from L. Ron Hubbard in an internal memo to high ups within Scientology, and was posted on the net from an Ex-Scientologist.

I find it hella funny that his OWN son essentially disowned his father for taking advantage of people and raping their money out of them.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiousity, I did some looking into it a while back. I forget who it was, but L. Ron Hubbard lived with some movie star or director or something for a while. He was quoted as wanting to "come up with [his] own religion, that's where the money is."

Just like Mormonism, Scientology is scrutinized for being a cult. The difference, however, is that the church was founded and quickly began recruiting celebrities for profit and power (whereas Mormonism isolated itself and preached procreation to increase its numbers). That's how they get influence, through leeching off of its members. It's too bad that millions of brainwashed people follow the preachings of a guy who likely mixed acid with his own get rich quick scheme, and somehow succeeded. I sometimes wonder how many people joined the church out of America's favorite past time: idolizing and worship of the celebrity.

I'm just wondering if we should start to fear a religion that manages to gather America's rich, powerful, and "cultural elite" (celebrities) in one group. If Tom Cruise can single handedly manipulate a company as large as Viacom just think what the Church of Scientology as a whole may be able to do. And before you immediately think, "get out the foil hats!" .. think of this: How many politicans/lawmakers could easily be guided by the will of celebrities and their friends?

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Watched it, pretty funny. They certainly got alot of mileage out of one joke. :lol:[/QUOTE]

the closet thing was kinda funny still after the first few. the R.kelly one was just stupid. the vatican episode was so much better. Great message though.

"Scientologists really believe this"

:lol: so much for subtlety

Hope he recovers and hope he returns to the show. The man is great. Plus he doesn't get royalties from his songs anymore. Thats fucked up right there.

I wonder if they're gonna just use old sound clips for him in the season opener, since "he's back"....That'd be hilarious. The original (not influenced by current events) episodes of late have been great.

Gimme more Jimmy I say.

[quote name='Skylander7']Out of curiousity, I did some looking into it a while back. I forget who it was, but L. Ron Hubbard lived with some movie star or director or something for a while. He was quoted as wanting to "come up with [his] own religion, that's where the money is."[/quote]

Hubbard also had some occult experience, dabbling with the OTO and hanging with Jack Parsons (who was a way cool dude) before defrauding them and running away with alot of Parsons' money and his girl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Parsons

All this scientology bull, and Tom's craziness is exactly why I will never watch any of his movies again. War of the Worlds remake sucked and I gaurantee that MI3 will too because Tom Cruise is in it.

i'm calling bs on this whole thing. it's too convenient that the season premier tomorrow is titled "the return of chef." i think matt, trey, and isaac are plotting some huge joke on scientology. look at all the buzz they've already caused. does anyone know for a fact that he's a scientologist?

The software they use to animate can turn over a complete episode in a week once the script is finished so it is entirely possible the premiere will deal with the issue at hand

Here is the teaser for the episode "The citizens of South Park have been a bit down lately, but Chef's sudden return snaps them out of it. While Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman are excited that Chef's returned, something seems different about him. When Chef finds himself in trouble thanks to his new ways, the boys will stop at nothing to save him. "

I would say they are going to do something on the topic.

I just watched the Scientology episode, liked the subtitle of "This is what Scientologists actually believe". Made it that much funnier.

[quote name='guardian_owl']The software they use to animate can turn over a complete episode in a week once the script is finished so it is entirely possible the premiere will deal with the issue at hand

Here is the teaser for the episode "The citizens of South Park have been a bit down lately, but Chef's sudden return snaps them out of it. While Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman are excited that Chef's returned, something seems different about him. When Chef finds himself in trouble thanks to his new ways, the boys will stop at nothing to save him. "

I would say they are going to do something on the topic.[/quote]

Maybe he comes back as a scientologist on the show, and the boys help him denounce it and he officially leaves the church. That would kick so much ass.

First of all, I'm not defending Scientology at all. They can all go to hell as far as I'm concerned. Scientology's actions, while heinous, have nothing on the Catholic Church of the Middle Ages. Last time I checked, no one's been burned at the stake for not being a Scientologist.......yet. All organized religions start out as a cult and then turn into accepted religions as time passes and membership grows. So, this leaves us with two options. We can all accept Scientology as it is and let it grow into a major religion with millions of brainwashed followers or we can try to shut those bastards down. Viva la revolucion. Anyone with me? We gotta find the Mole and he'll help the revolution.

http://www.xenu.net/

Great site on scientology. The scientologists actually sued them and Google to try and get excerpts from their religious texts taken down. A lot of their religious writings are top secret to all but a select few at the top.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Isaac Hayes is on Scientology's website.[/QUOTE]
ok, so i was wrong about that part. i looked him up on wikipedia and he apparently is a scientologist. i'm still saying that some part of this is a p.r. stunt though. look at the timing. look at the hype. it's too convenient. how may people here are planning on watching tomorrow night just to see what happens? all i'm saying is their plan is working, these threads are proof. or i'm reading too much into it and i'm full of shit.

[quote name='darkmere']i'm calling bs on this whole thing. it's too convenient that the season premier tomorrow is titled "the return of chef." i think matt, trey, and isaac are plotting some huge joke on scientology. look at all the buzz they've already caused. does anyone know for a fact that he's a scientologist?[/quote]
well the way south park is made, they can change or edit anything up until the mourning its supposed to air. So they probably have the time to make an episode based on issac quiting if it is about that.

The episode was pretty well done. Amazing how quick they can throw that stuff together. The inside jokes to the scientology ep were well done.

It was sad watching Chef die, and I got choked up during the eulogy. The ending was unexpected.

Reality's Fringe]I don't have cable said:
episode synopsis: (the actual episode will probably be on youtube or google video shortly)
Chef returns, acting strange. He is speaking like someone cut up sound bites of his to make new sentences and this is noticed by the characters. He then starts commenting about how he wants to have sex with all the children in all manner of vulgarity. The boys investigate by going to the Super Adventure Club (where Chef had been the past 3 months) where they find out that the main function of the club is to have sex with young boys from around the world in order to absorb a portion of their life force and become immortal. They had brainwashed chef to believe all this.

The boys snap him out of it momentarilly by taking him to a strip club where a "well endowed" black stripper snapped him out of the trance. But the SAC showed up, drug Chef and took him back away to be re-brainwashed. The boys break him out and are on the verge of escaping when the head of SAC says "do you remember why you came to us in the first place? To escape from your dull life" Chef "turns" and begins to head willingly back to the SAC group when a bolt of lightning knocks him into a ravine where he is impaled on a tree, attacked by a mountain lion, mauled by a grizzly bear, and shot by a member of the SAC group. Chef is dead.

Back at South Park everyone shows up to mourn the loss of Chef and Kyle gives a eulogy to encourage people to remember the Chef they loved, and to hate the members of SAC who twisted him into and "turned" him into a sick pedophile. Cut back to SAC headquarters where the members zap chefs body, miraculouslly they have a pulse. They quickly put an "intensive care suit" on Chef (Darth Vader-esque black suit with Chef head outline, including the cooking hat) and the head of SAC asks him what he wants, and Chef tells him, he wants children to suck on his chocolate balls. Chef has turned to the dark side, *bum bum bum bum buuuuuuuuuum*

[quote name='evilmax17']The episode was pretty well done. Amazing how quick they can throw that stuff together. The inside jokes to the scientology ep were well done.

It was sad watching Chef die, and I got choked up during the eulogy. The ending was unexpected.
[/QUOTE]
They say that when people die they cra--

i really wasnt expecting that episdoe to be what it was, at all haha.

bread's done
Back