Suikoden V thread - Post your impressions, reviews and etc here!

Kain Vincent

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Welcome CAGs and fellow Suikoden fans! :D

This week brings us the next title in the interesting Suikoden series. I can't wait to get my hands on this installment of the series, since it looks to be the one to restore faith to the Suikoden name.

Regarding Spoilers: Please mark spoilers as spoilers, so that no one gets events ruined for them. This includes not only Suikoden V, but for any character/events from other Suikoden titles that appear in Suikoden V. Thanks.

Reviews:

1UP (8.0/10) - http://1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3148892&did=1
IGN (8.2/10) - http://ps2.ign.com/articles/697/697234p1.html [Link provided by Roufuss]
Gamespot (8.1/10) - http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/suikoden5/review.html [Link provided by A7las]
Gamespy (4.5 stars out of 5) - http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/genso-suikoden-v/697227p1.html

After the last two installments, this game was completely off my radar...but apparantly a lot of people think it's restored the quality of the first two games. 1up.com reviewed it today and gave it an 8.0, which is nice...and they seemed to think the game was just as good as the first two. I might have to pick this up.

By the way (WITHOUT giving away any potential spoilers!), any idea where in the timeline this game takes place?

[quote name='Blind the Thief']After the last two installments, this game was completely off my radar...but apparantly a lot of people think it's restored the quality of the first two games. 1up.com reviewed it today and gave it an 8.0, which is nice...and they seemed to think the game was just as good as the first two. I might have to pick this up.

By the way (WITHOUT giving away any potential spoilers!), any idea where in the timeline this game takes place?[/quote]

IIRC, it takes place before Suikoden I.

[quote name='Kain Vincent']IIRC, it takes place before Suikoden I.[/quote]

The only thing that throws me off that is that from what I can see, Georg only has one eye in V where he had both in II. However, we know that he was kicked out of Faleena for killing the queen, so him being in Faleena in V would make it make sense for it to be before II. Maybe he's just faking having one eye.

[quote name='karsh']The only thing that throws me off that is that from what I can see, Georg only has one eye in V where he had both in II. However, we know that he was kicked out of Faleena for killing the queen, so him being in Faleena in V would make it make sense for it to be before II. Maybe he's just faking having one eye.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know Georg did that...just thought he was a weird guy.

Ah, well.

Again, WITHOUT SPOILERS, anyone know any other recurring characters?

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Didn't know Georg did that...just thought he was a weird guy.

Ah, well.

Again, WITHOUT SPOILERS, anyone know any other recurring characters?[/quote]

I'm fairly sure they mention that about Georg back in II. As for returning characters, I know that Jeane and Viki are obviously back, cause they just apparently live forever. In addition, I know my all-time favorite character who needed exploration will be returning in V in Killey. This also makes sense since Faleena has a larger Sindar Ruin on it, which was what Killey was after the whole time. Finally I think Lorelai shows up again. I really can't wait to play V.

[quote name='karsh']I'm fairly sure they mention that about Georg back in II. As for returning characters, I know that Jeane and Viki are obviously back, cause they just apparently live forever. In addition, I know my all-time favorite character who needed exploration will be returning in V in Killey. This also makes sense since Faleena has a larger Sindar Ruin on it, which was what Killey was after the whole time. Finally I think Lorelai shows up again. I really can't wait to play V.[/QUOTE]

Can someone give me a quick rundown of the plots for the first three. I have never played the first two and don't remember much of the story from 3. I am planning on getting this and wanted to know more about the history.

Please mark it as a spoiler in case other people don't wish to know.

In more good news, IGN gave this an 8.2.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/697/697234p1.html

Their complaints are things that won't bother me at all. This is the thing I like the most:

Lasting Appeal

Fortress building, the search for 108 hirable characters, fun little mini-games, a "New Game Plus" feature, and 11 different endings should bring you back more than once.

Besides numerous comments that the game is on par with Suikoden 2... it's real good to see the series back on track.

Just picked up my copy for Suikoden V from GS (came with the artbook/CD as well). I'll post impressions within the next day or so.

OP updated with IGN's review. Thanks Roufuss!

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

I was looking through Gamefaqs (IK, IK) and other places and people are saying that this game is back to It's roots, and some are even comparing it to Suikoden II? I hope more reviews pop in. I just bought this game/pre-ordered it through Gamestop and I'm getting Oblivion tomorrow, so I won't touch it right away, but Suikoden II? Suikoden II is by far my favorite RPG of all time.

I pre-ordered this game because I was giving Konami another chance with this series and found Suikoden IV to be the weakest link (followed by the lackluster Suikoden Tactics) so I didn't have high hopes for this game. I'm just a huge fan of the Suikoden games in general and It's the only RPG series I buy on release every time they put out a new Suikoden. Which I use to do the same for Square with Final Fantasy, but that was years ago.

Guess I'll have to pop it in later.

[quote name='Kain Vincent']Just picked up my copy for Suikoden V from GS (came with the artbook/CD as well). I'll post impressions within the next day or so.

OP updated with IGN's review. Thanks Roufuss![/quote]

You're lucky. Mine came without the Artbook and Soundtrack...another call to GS and I got some BS on how they didn't have any in stock and they would send it in the next day or so. We'll see. If I don't get it in the next 10 days I will be returning it. The exact damn thing happened to me regarding SMT: DDS2 soundtrack...thanks to Roufuss, he told me to contact Atlus to get a replacement, which I did. I swore that day never to buy anything from them again...and I havent until I saw the Suikoden V pre-sale...Fool me twice, Shame on me!

I'm thrilled this game is getting decent reviews. The two PSone versions were some of my favorites, III was so so, IV.... ugh, IV.

I need to get this and Suikoden Tactics just so I have the complete set. I'd like to think I'll play this but I have the feeling it's going to sit on a shelf forever just so I can tell myself I have all the Suikoden games.

First Impressions:

Wow, Suikoden V rocks. The combat is fun, reminding me of parts I and II. Six members parties plus the formation system (which allows for various benefits in combat) adds new depth to the combat system. I'm happy to report that the fighting is back to the speed of the first two titles.

Now, onto the bad points:

> Loading times. This games loads a lot. Within the first ten minutes, I encounted around six to seven load screens. Thankfully, they are rather brief. Take note that the game does load after the end of every battle.

I'll update more when I get further in.

I've been playing this. The game rocks. I'm so glad Suikoden has gone back to its roots, and given us this apology for the awful AWFUL Suikoden 4. The characters are great, the storyline is very interesting, and Lucretia is the coolest strategist since Shu.
Can someone give me a quick rundown of the plots for the first three. I have never played the first two and don't remember much of the story from 3. I am planning on getting this and wanted to know more about the history.
That's a fairly large request. I'd advise heading over to www.suikox.com or www.suikosource.com for that info. If you really want me to I can give some summaries of the previous games. But you might as well go there where it's laid out all nice with timelines and character bios.
The only thing that throws me off that is that from what I can see, Georg only has one eye in V where he had both in II. However, we know that he was kicked out of Faleena for killing the queen, so him being in Faleena in V would make it make sense for it to be before II. Maybe he's just faking having one eye.
Apparently this is explained at the end of V. Someone mentioned it, and a person who had played the Japanese version said it's explained.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I've been playing this. The game rocks. I'm so glad Suikoden has gone back to its roots, and given us this apology for the awful AWFUL Suikoden 4. The characters are great, the storyline is very interesting, and Lucretia is the coolest strategist since Shu.

That's a fairly large request. I'd advise heading over to www.suikox.com or www.suikosource.com for that info. If you really want me to I can give some summaries of the previous games. But you might as well go there where it's laid out all nice with timelines and character bios.

Apparently this is explained at the end of V. Someone mentioned it, and a person who had played the Japanese version said it's explained.[/quote]

Awesome. Can't wait to get it this weekend. Georg was always one of my favorite characters in II, right alongside Killey, so I look forward to seeing them again.

This game rocks. My only complaints after about 20 hours is the minor load times and then menu interface is about the worst ever in the series. Its like they coded this shit in 5 minutes.

I honestly don't find the load times that bad. It's nowhere near Magna Carta in that area, and you'll get so into the game you won't even notice them after awhile.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I honestly don't find the load times that bad. It's nowhere near Magna Carta in that area, and you'll get so into the game you won't even notice them after awhile.[/quote]

The load times aren't bad, it just loads quite a bit. If it was near Magna Carta levels of loading, I probably would have given it a less favorable opinion. Yet, it's cool. :applause:

The interface is poorly laid out and the load times are a pain in the butt. Worse the first couple hours consist soley of pointless cut-scenes and a dull plot.

[quote name='zionoverfire']The interface is poorly laid out and the load times are a pain in the butt. Worse the first couple hours consist soley of pointless cut-scenes and a dull plot.[/QUOTE]
Pointless cutscenes? I don't think so. They effectively set up the entire plot. Hardly pointless. Not to mention they give much needed background and personality info on the various characters. That way when everything does kick into full gear it's that much more powerful.

[quote name='zionoverfire']The interface is poorly laid out and the load times are a pain in the butt. Worse the first couple hours consist soley of pointless cut-scenes and a dull plot.[/QUOTE]

Okay Mr. Negative lets not dwell on all the bad stuff too much. But the first 10 hours is kinda boring. But trust me, after that when you start recuiting and building up you HQ, it's great!

Story and characters and both high points. Even the main character being "silent" is done well. Even though he's silent he has more personality than the Hero of IV.

8.1 From Gamespot.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/suikoden5/review.html

I preordered mine from Gamestop.com and didn't recieve the bonus stuff even though my packing slip said that I should. I e-mailed them to see why, and they said I should be recieving the artbook and CD in the next few days.
I haven't started playing it yet though because all of my gaming time (and social, school, girlfriend, etc. time) has been consumed by Oblivion. I'm really happy that the reviews have been good, makes me glad that I didn't wait to pick it up for 12 dollars like I did with Suikoden IV.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Now the real question is: think I can find it anywhere for cheap? :)[/QUOTE]

Do a search, I think i remember seeing something about it for $29.99. It retails brand new for $39.99, so it's not too bad.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Pointless cutscenes? I don't think so. They effectively set up the entire plot. Hardly pointless. Not to mention they give much needed background and personality info on the various characters. That way when everything does kick into full gear it's that much more powerful.[/quote]

The sheer number of cutscenes is pointless, especially when you factor in their short length and ridiculous load times. Maybe if the game "kicked" into gear about 4 hours early I'd be okay with it.

As it stands I currently rank this as the worst Suikoden, including tactics.

[quote name='zionoverfire']The sheer number of cutscenes is pointless, especially when you factor in their short length and ridiculous load times. Maybe if the game "kicked" into gear about 4 hours early I'd be okay with it.

As it stands I currently rank this as the worst Suikoden, including tactics.[/quote]

I respect your opinion and all, but I have a question:

How can you rank this as the worst Suikoden, if part four doesn't even feel like a Suikoden title?

Load times are NOT as bad as some are making them out to be!

Only about 3 hours in, so far I really like the characters but "talking to all the characters/exploring all rooms" before being able to accomplish a task is getting to me ;)

[quote name='Kain Vincent']I respect your opinion and all, but I have a question:

How can you rank this as the worst Suikoden, if part four doesn't even feel like a Suikoden title?[/QUOTE]
The fact that he ranks it worse than 4 and Tactics shows about how much he knows. The game could have one cutscene, and then load for 40 minutes and still be better than both those games.

I think most people consider this far from the worst, infact it might be the best. I wonder how much he played before coming to that conclusion. The game does have a slow start, even slower than most RPGs. I was frustrated with all the talk and no action at first too. But now I'm loving it. I'm even enjoying it more than Dragon Quest VIII.

It's slowly becoming my favorite Suikoden, which is a bold statment from a diehard Suikoden fan.

How are you guys doing on recruiting? I had some trouble with Oboro but now I know how to get him.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I think most people consider this far from the worst, infact it might be the best. I wonder how much he played before coming to that conclusion. The game does have a slow start, even slower than most RPGs. I was frustrated with all the talk and no action at first too. But now I'm loving it. I'm even enjoying it more than Dragon Quest VIII.

It's slowly becoming my favorite Suikoden, which is a bold statment from a diehard Suikoden fan.

How are you guys doing on recruiting? I had some trouble with Oboro but now I know how to get him.[/QUOTE]

I've been having trouble with him too actually.

[quote name='greendj27']I've been having trouble with him too actually.[/QUOTE]

It seems like most people are, I'm still not 100% sure on his recuitment method, but here's what I know:

Their is an event in Rainwall while he's working for you that you have to trigger. If you miss this event (and it seems like you did with most people) you still have chance to get him after some major events.

Sooner or later his boat will be parked at Raftfleet which is where people are having trouble recuiting him. All I know is that you have to ask him 5 times to join, sooner or later he's suposed to. You ask him after every major event, (example: winning wars and stuff)

I'm doing pretty good on the recruiting. Got Oboro about an hour ago infact. Which reminds me, where's the tablet where I can see which SoDs I have? Is there one?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'm doing pretty good on the recruiting. Got Oboro about an hour ago infact. Which reminds me, where's the tablet where I can see which SoDs I have? Is there one?[/QUOTE]

Don't know about the tablet, but how did you recruit Oboro, just curious?

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Don't know about the tablet, but how did you recruit Oboro, just curious?[/QUOTE]

I've just saved Lordlake, so can I even get him still now?

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Don't know about the tablet, but how did you recruit Oboro, just curious?[/QUOTE]
I just talked to him after every event. He joined the 4th time I asked him. You can start asking him anytime after you get your castle, but don't wait too long or you'll run out of events. Also one of his assistants doesn't join with him. To get her you have to do a seperate thing with a Armes soldier in Sable.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I just talked to him after every event. He joined the 4th time I asked him. You can start asking him anytime after you get your castle, but don't wait too long or you'll run out of events. Also one of his assistants doesn't join with him. To get her you have to do a seperate thing with a Armes soldier in Sable.[/QUOTE]

That's what I tought. But I heard there is a luck factor in having him join. I talked to people who said they got him after asking him only twice. Maybe I'll save before the next time I ask and if he's say "no" I'll reset and try again.

You'll get the Stars of Destiny tablet later on from you know who. Its part of the story you wont miss it.

Edit: Lets try and use spoilers tags with names, places etc. for those of you know so far ahead in the game. Also might want to add spoilers to the topic.

[quote name='Msia']You'll get the Stars of Destiny tablet later on from you know who. Its part of the story you wont miss it.

Edit: Lets try and use spoilers tags with names, places etc. for those of you know so far ahead in the game. Also might want to add spoilers to the topic.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I already had a couple things spoiled for me by the good people over on gamefaqs. Trying to avoid gamefaqs like the plauge now.

OK, I picked this game up at GR as a preorder and have never played ANY Suikoden games before. I have IV (cheapo from TRU) and a used copy of III I got from GR a while back. I'm looking forward to I/II on the PSP if that ever comes to the US. To those of you who have played them all, would it make sense to jump right in with V, and then go back to the others (eventually)? I just fear that if I feel the need to start with III (or even I and II) I may never play ANY of them.

V takes place 6 years before I, so you could start with that one if you wanted to. I'd advise starting with III though. Mostly because V is so much better that it'll be harder to go back to III. Not to say III isn't good, because it definitely is. As for IV, well the less said about that one the better... I'll just say make sure to play it last or you'll never want to play another game in the series again.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']. As for IV, well the less said about that one the better... I'll just say make sure to play it last or you'll never want to play another game in the series again.[/QUOTE]

Its funny, III did that for me.

The characters I cared nothing about (those stupid ducks.. I hated Hugo as well), that horrible horrible battle system, the stupid idea of replaying the first few hours of the game through 3 different people's groups (how boring was that).

If it wasn't for the story picking up by Chapter 4, I would have quit. I would advise playing Suikoden 3 after 1 and 2, if only for the story to have a greater impact, because the story is the only real reason to play.

I remember that I tried to get through the initial scenarios of Suikoden III and failed... I tried Jubei's... which sucked. Hugo's was worse and that bitch's scenario was also bad. Everything about the game was awful in those inital stages and considering that it takes hours to get past that part, I figured that even if the second part of the game was great, I'd never want to play through it again based on those initial hours.

Suikoden 3's story was pretty good, and I happened to like alot of the characters, ( Edge, Geddoe, and Ace to name a few.) The battle system didn't seem very polished though, and the lack of a "real" world map were minuses. But I did love how at the end it let you play through as the villians. Using Yuber was awsome.

But if you want to skip over Suikoden 3 you can always pick up the manga to get the general story.

And I agree that you can pretty much skip over IV, since it take place hundreds of years before Suikoden 1 and the characters are boring and the main character is the worst, emotionless and stiff.

bread's done
Back