Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Well, this one has definitely gotten lost in the midst of Metroid Prime Hunters and Tetris release week. I didn't realize it was out (on Wednesday) until io saw it on the preorder list at GR.

Anyway, I finally read the previews on GameRankings that have been around since January, and I have to say, I'm much more excited about this game than I was when the screen shots initially surfaced last year. It sounds like a pretty solid RPG with a fun and functional magic system - not sure how its spell-casting system will differ from Lost Magic at this point, but we can use some solid RPGs on the DS and this looks to be one.

Unfortunately I don't see this popping up on sale anywhere this week, so hopefully GR gets a copy in without preorders!

[quote name='Renegade_Zero']I made this topic like a month ago and no one replied......[/QUOTE]
I figured there probably was one. My excuse is that a month ago I was in my not-excited phase ;)

I noticed this just the other night too, but the preview I'd read painted it as more of an adventury game with some RPGish combat which kind of disinterested me when I have a dozen games to play as is.

It's made by the people who made Azure Dreams and looks to be very similar. This is good news to me, because I loved Azure Dreams. I ordered this game the minute I found out about it.

Speaking of lost in the shuffle, The Tower SP also comes out this week. From what I read it's based off of SimTower, a game made by Yoo Saito. If this game came out on the DS I'd definately pick it up before Tetris or Metroid.

edit: A little off-topic, sorry :oops:

[quote name='amusedtoe']I noticed this just the other night too, but the preview I'd read painted it as more of an adventury game with some RPGish combat which kind of disinterested me when I have a dozen games to play as is.[/QUOTE]
There appears to be some differing opinions on that, but most agree:

GameSpy: RPG
IGN: Adventure game with RPG combat
GameSpot: RPG
Nintendojo: RPG

Based on what's out there, I'm envisioning it similar to Secret of Mana with a general exploration/RPG feel.

I was reminded of this game's release the other night as well. That's exactly what I needed: just one more game competing for my dollar this week!

[quote name='1modernboy']I was reminded of this game's release the other night as well. That's exactly what I needed: just one more game competing for my dollar this week![/QUOTE]
Come on... as long as its possible to turn $30 into $80 at GameRush, there's no need for competition ;)

Well I'll let you guess which preview I read, lol.

Anyway I'd be all about The Tower if it was acctually an updated SimTower and not just a similar idea knock off done on no budget. I've seen far too many of those. Now I hope I'm wrong, though it rarely goes that way when I'm hoping, and it rocks since I have fond memories of SimTower as damnably hard as it was that I could never get past two stars.

Damnation. Stop increasing my number of DS games this week from 2 to 4.

Plus I still have to get Rub Rabbits and Princess Peach! That's 6! :(

:(

My poor wallet.

[quote name='Machine']It's made by the people who made Azure Dreams and looks to be very similar. This is good news to me, because I loved Azure Dreams. I ordered this game the minute I found out about it.[/quote]

Sold! I loved Azure Dreams, that's all I need to know.

I had no idea about this release... I wish that first person RPG that was showcased back when they announced the DS would come out(and be good)..Lightning or whatever it was called.

[quote name='Strell']Damnation. Stop increasing my number of DS games this week from 2 to 4.

Plus I still have to get Rub Rabbits and Princess Peach! That's 6! :(

:(

My poor wallet.[/QUOTE]

You're telling me, I bought a DS Lite lol. Then I bought a bunch of games to go with it, oy. By the by if you're a Gameflyer and haven't used all you're $5 off coupons yet you can get The Rub Rabbits for under $20.

Anyway, went and read the other 3 previews mentioned and they definately piqued my interest more. Still they all really revolved around the touch screen magic system and paint a pretty poor picture of the game as a whole, not that previews are really great at that. Hopefully we'll see some reviews in the next couple of days, though a title like this tends to get pushed a ways back with as many bigger games there are right now. Not that I'll complain if it's a couple weeks before I find out the games great and have to run out and get it. Sure I'll be in the poor house, but as long as they have electricity I'll have a big ole stack of DS games lol.

I was kinda looking forward to this game but after reading the review over at IGN Ive changed my mind. I wonder if the game is as bad as they say it is. Anyone actually picked this up? Id like to know what fellow CAG members thought about it.

Ah darn you beat me to it, I was just about to post it! lol

It's disapointing but I won't complain since it simplifies life by at least $35. I'd be inclined to say that it's probably at least that bad since if anything IGN tends to score too high. Either way though, something gets a 4 and there's not much positive to be had there. Even if they majorly lowballed it and it acctually deserves to be two points higher that's still only a 6 and mediocre at best.

The worst part though is that you jerks had me acctually getting kind of excited about it.

You know what the crazy thing about the DS is? There are games that are simply brilliant and get 8+ scores that justify the system - Phoenix Wright, Meteos, Wario Touched, Animal Crossing, etc - and then there are absolutely abysmal games that get like 4 and below.

I mean, I probably own like 30 games for it, and of those 30, I'd call 12-15 of them must owns, and the rest "definitely play it at some point."

It's just interesting, really. An echelon of games that are amazing, coupled with the Bizarro world.

[quote name='Strell']
It's just interesting, really. An echelon of games that are amazing, coupled with the Bizarro world.[/QUOTE]
We might have to start mapping out the publishers/developers of these games and see if there's any sort of pattern.

In fact, I might do that tonight...

I forgot which, but some site once said "Ubisoft hates the DS" as a joke after the games they brought out.

Did Ubi publish King Kong also? IGN said it was terrible.

They also published Battles of PoP, which I bought (and will probably enjoy since I'm a TBS whore - not the TV station), but got horrible reviews.

Looks like the best game Ubi put out was Bomberman.

GameRankings:
Bomberman: 77
Star Wars Ep III: 72
Battles of PoP: 64
Asphalt: 63
Rayman: 60
Lunar: 59
Chaos Theory: 51
Sprung: 47
King Kong: 32

Average: 58

We have an early front-runner...

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Offhand lets see, Ubisoft published Sprung and Lunar DS as well as This Tao's Adventure. Lets say I'm cautious about their DS offerings.[/QUOTE]

Yea, but aside from PoP what has Ubi published in a while that's been good period? Haven't they been on the verge of bankruptcy/selling out to another company for a while?

Ah well, I'm shifting that stored up excitement to Lost Magic now since it's only a month off. :)

[quote name='amusedtoe']Yea, but aside from PoP what has Ubi published in a while that's been good period? Haven't they been on the verge of bankruptcy/selling out to another company for a while?

Ah well, I'm shifting that stored up excitement to Lost Magic now since it's only a month off. :)[/QUOTE]

It's sad, because there was a time when Ubisoft was putting out some of the prettiest, most polished portable 3rd party games out there. This was several years ago when the GBA was at its peak. I remember covering E3 not too long ago and actually being excited to see their booth.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Yea, but aside from PoP what has Ubi published in a while that's been good period? Haven't they been on the verge of bankruptcy/selling out to another company for a while?
[/QUOTE]

Ubi published GRAW, the Splinter cell games, Lumines, Beyond Good and Evil, Brothers in Arms, the console King Kong game, and will be localizing/publishing Lost Magic.

They still make good games, it's just that they make an equal number of crappy games.

If *only* I had a Gamerush! I hear such great things about that store.

That, and boy do I miss having a Meijer!!!!

[quote name='botticus']Come on... as long as its possible to turn $30 into $80 at GameRush, there's no need for competition ;)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sephitor']Ubi published GRAW, the Splinter cell games, Lumines, Beyond Good and Evil, Brothers in Arms, the console King Kong game, and will be localizing/publishing Lost Magic.

They still make good games, it's just that they make an equal number of crappy games.[/QUOTE]

So in recent terms pretty much GRAW and King Kong.

I picked this game up yesterday and do not listen to ign. The game is amazing and it is you could say the sequel to azure dreams in a different way. THe monster tower is here, monster eggs, the items from azure dreams and everything. I love the game and the controls aren't as bad as they say they are. You can walk with the stylus or with the dpad. Hit y to run which is really simple. Most controls are used with the stylus but the ign review is some total bs. Try it out you will love it if you loved azure dreams. :bouncy:

[quote name='Lorddraco07']I picked this game up yesterday and do not listen to ign. The game is amazing and it is you could say the sequel to azure dreams in a different way. THe monster tower is here, monster eggs, the items from azure dreams and everything. I love the game and the controls aren't as bad as they say they are. You can walk with the stylus or with the dpad. Hit y to run which is really simple. Most controls are used with the stylus but the ign review is some total bs. Try it out you will love it if you loved azure dreams. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Well, after reading the IGN review I was about to cancel my preorder at GR (of course, it still isn't in yet, but neither is Metroid or Tetris). I was all pissed at Nintendo Power for making the game sound good (which is why I put in the preorder in the first place). Now, with your comments, maybe I should get it... Hmmm....

The rest of the reviews aren't so great either, but there's only 3 on metacritic so far:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ds/taosadventurecurseofthedemonseal

Review scores are 60, 55, and 40 (IGN).

if Nintendo Power pans it next month I'll be pretty pissed at them - although I am starting to realize that you must treat "preview" writeups as worth squat. They ALWAYS seem to be enthusiastic about whatever game it is. Yes, I'm fairly new to gaming after not playing since my Colecovision days. I'm sure "previews" have ben like this for a while :D.

[quote name='io']
if Nintendo Power pans it next month I'll be pretty pissed at them - although I am starting to realize that you must treat "preview" writeups as worth squat. They ALWAYS seem to be enthusiastic about whatever game it is. Yes, I'm fairly new to gaming after not playing since my Colecovision days. I'm sure "previews" have ben like this for a while :D.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, just read the IGN preview, and compare it to the review. It's ridiculous.

Nintendo Power: 6.0

Problems: bad inventory system, bad camera (disappear behind walls, can't tell if you're in striking range of an enemy), generally just bad stylus controls. Unfortunately I have a feeling if GR has this, I will still convince myself to get it for $15 in cash.

[quote name='io']if Nintendo Power pans it next month I'll be pretty pissed at them - although I am starting to realize that you must treat "preview" writeups as worth squat. They ALWAYS seem to be enthusiastic about whatever game it is. Yes, I'm fairly new to gaming after not playing since my Colecovision days. I'm sure "previews" have ben like this for a while :D.[/QUOTE]

Read this bit on Kotaku, it will pretty much explain why previews aren't worth a lick. Also keep in mind that NP, like OXM and OPM, is backed by the company whose products they're talking about. Sure there's some good objective stuff in them on occasion, but on the whole should be largely approached as glorified product catalogs. Not bashing any of those mags but at their base level it's all about moving more company inventory and putting the image they want out there.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Read this bit on Kotaku, it will pretty much explain why previews aren't worth a lick. Also keep in mind that NP, like OXM and OPM, is backed by the company whose products they're talking about. Sure there's some good objective stuff in them on occasion, but on the whole should be largely approached as glorified product catalogs. Not bashing any of those mags but at their base level it's all about moving more company inventory and putting the image they want out there.[/QUOTE]

Well, without even reading that bit, I can assume one reason previews are always positive is so that the previewer will keep getting advance copies of games to preview :D. That only makes sense. But there was certainly no forewarning of ANY issues in the NP preview - they raved about the unique use of the stylus, etc, which seems to be in direct opposition to the what the final reviews are saying. Also, I figured since this wasn't a Nintendo published game they wouldn't be QUITE as glowing in the preview. But it makes sense for them to make all DS games look good as it helps sell systems.

Lorddraco07 it's been 2 days now, so how is the game so far? I'm kinda tempted to pick this up but all the reviews scared me off. I'll like to know what a fellow CAG thinks of it. I haven't played Azure Dreams so I don't really have anything to compare it to.

[quote name='iheartmetal']im interested in the game.

famitsu gave it 8, 7, 7, 7[/QUOTE]

That doesn't mean it's good, just that it's very Japanese esq.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']That doesn't mean it's good, just that it's very Japanese esq.[/QUOTE]

Of course, some publications, though it's less prevelent now, score it so that a 7 pretty much equates to average.

[quote name='cletus']Lorddraco07 it's been 2 days now, so how is the game so far? I'm kinda tempted to pick this up but all the reviews scared me off. I'll like to know what a fellow CAG thinks of it. I haven't played Azure Dreams so I don't really have anything to compare it to.[/quote]

It is still going strong. It seems the more I play this game the more I get sucked in. The dungeon gets harder as you go up. In the beginning with the best sword I was one shotting everything but now I have to hit twice or three times which the monsters hit hard also. I am up to the 17th floor so far. There is a boss every 5 floors which have been fun also. I recommend it.

Hmm, not to doubt your enjoyment or word but I wonder if this is the kind of game that's only going to appeal to a handful of people? Glowing praise and mediocre reviews across the board don't reconcile...

I switched my preorder at GR from this to Lost Magic (hope THAT doesn't suck!). GR still hasn't gotten Tao in (and they may never get it) so it was easy to switch. I'll pick it up when it is on clearance later - it might be enjoyable, but I think it is fairly clear from the bulk of the reviews that it isn't a top-notch DS game, and I have so many others I haven't gotten to yet that are top-notch (gee, I'd really like to give Metroid a try - come on GR!). Not to mention my huge backlog of PS2 RPG's. In any cade, on the portable side, I've been putting alot of time into Fire Emblem Sacred Stones. Once I finish that I still have the original Fire Emblem, Riviera, Tales of Phantasia, and a few other GBA RPG's to keep my portable RPGing going... And before I even begin to make a dent in those, Lost Magic and Mage Knight will come out for the DS.

I don't mean to cast doubt on Lorddraco07's comments here, but the overall tone of the reviews is not looking good. This is definitely one I can wait on to get cheap (though this is a good candidate to become rare n' valuable - actually I have yet to see it in any store - Best Buy, CC, Target, let alone Gamerush). Here are the quotes shown in metacritic from the various reviews, with the score (out of 100) on the left:

61 GameSpot
Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal is a simplistic dungeon crawl that is hampered by a plodding pace and frustrating controls.

60 GamePro
If you have played any pre-Super Nintendo RPGs, you've played this game. The characters and enemies are uninspired; the dialogue is a little flat; and the twenty-leveled tower is agonizingly mind-numbing.

60 Nintendo Power
We still have high hopes for RPG's on the DS, but the many obvious flaws of Tao's Adventure left us disappointed. [May 2006, p.91]

55 Play Magazine
Tao's is a decent kids' action/RPG but with so much greatness on DS, even that's a stretch. [Apr 2006, p.72]

40 IGN
The use of DS hardware is boarderline insulting, and the gameplay will turn off most gamers in an instant.

30 Games Radar
It doesn't help that the gameplay and story are unattractive twins, the runoff and trash of better RPGs.

So maybe the IGN review is a bit harsh compared to the rest, but it still looks like one I can pass on for now.

[quote name='Tybee']You know you're in trouble when the editors of Nintendo Power look down their noses at you.[/quote]

QFT. That review alone took this game off my radar. I'm sure some folks really enjoy the title, but I figure if NP snubs it there must be some major flaws.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Offhand lets see, Ubisoft published Sprung and Lunar DS as well as This Tao's Adventure. Lets say I'm cautious about their DS offerings.[/QUOTE]

Unless Ubisoft bought Konami, this is a Konami-published game (see the front cover).

bread's done
Back