CAGcast #22: Insert Catch 22 Reference Here

Dad: “You watching smurf?”
Kid: “No, playing smurf”
Dad: “Oh, now it’s a videogame”
Kid: “Blabbermouth catches the smurfette, and it’s a smurf and he’s got a rescuer.
SMURFUNDERUM”
Dad: “Smurfunderum”
Kid: “That’s smurf talk, dad.”
…(I cannot make out the rest)
Dad: “Smurf them all!”
Narrator: “Play smurf on your Colecovision Atari 2600 VCS or Intellivision videogame system”
Kid: “Dad, maybe smurfs are too exciting for you”

C= CheapyD
W= Wombat

C: Welcome everybody to CAGcast number twenty two, the best CAGcast ever.
W: Ever
C: Ever
W: Ever?
C: I’m your host CheapyD and I’ve got Wombat here as well, virtually.
W: Virtually, yes.
C: You’re in my heart.
W: And in my soul.
C: Yes
W: Uh huh.
C: Well of course this is very exciting now that we are well into our twenties in the CAGcast…uh…history.
W: Old enough to drink, not old enough to rent a car.
C: *laughter* That’s true, that’s rue, unless you go to one of those budget car rentalplaces.
W: Or Mexico.
C: *laughter* Mexico, by the way lets go to Mexico.
W: There you go, CAGcast 22, spring break in Mexico.
C: Yea.
W: *giggle*
C: Well we have of course a very exciting show for everybody today, um its VERY exciting, so exciting my
head is going to explode.
W: Awesome, I’ll finish the show myself then.
C: Okay *weird sound*
W: Hey everyone, welcome to Wombat CAGcast number one, I’m your host wombat, and with me always is Wombat. Today were going to talk about stuff that, oh!, you’re here
C: Oh yes, Ive… Ive… A miraculous recovery has taken place, and I’m reeling back into control of the show.
W: Nice, our listeners are very lucky.
C: Well I think that’s enough playful banter for euhh…
W: The month
C: Today, for the month, and I think we should jump right into the new releases because there are many many new releases this week.
W: I know, it’s like December in, uh, March.
C: So its like Christmas in March.
W: Yea, you gonna start?
C: I guess, so, I guess the biggest release this is Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
W: Yes, I’m enjoying this game.
C: This is for the PC and Xbox 360, so you’ve had a chance to play it a little bit?
W: I’ve had it for two whole days.
W: I’ve probably put in a good five hours into the game.
C: Oh really?
W: Yea a good five hours.
C: Oh, so?
W: Three hours yesterday and two hours today.
C: And?
W: Its fun, its fun. It is a lot like the other one, the last one.
C: This is an open…
W: Uh huh
C: ...Open ended first person, third person role playing game?
W: Yes, the action is in real time, you know when you swing your sword…
W: You’re hitting someone, which is kind of cool. Its kind of strange in third person. You know, if… you know…, but the blocking I find to be surprisingly responsive.
C: Ah…so the combat is fun?
W: The combat is fun, the combats fun. I mean I’m a Nordic warrior knight named Wombat.
C: Doesn’t it say that in your high school yearbook?
W: It does say that in your high school year book. And I just got myself like a magic sword, which is actually kinda cool.
C: Okay.
W: Cause I completed my first real quest, not counting the tutorial quest.
W: So I completed my first real quest, which really involved me following a lot of people around.
W: But it looks fantastic, I mean the environments are great, there is some popup, theres the occasional slow down, but for the most part, I mean load times aren’t that annoying.
C: Its next gen then would you say?
W: Its next gen, its next gen except, you know, I would like there to be quicker loading, but that’s just me, I’ll never be happy with any load time. Even twenty seconds is too long. Cause you’re going from like, say you go from a dungeon and then you wanna go to the town and then back to the overworld, and you wanna just use the warp feature.
C: Right.
W: Which goes in handy, because half of the time I have no idea where I am going. Exceeeeeeeept you know you really just wanna go to two places within ten seconds, but it takes like a minute and a half to go two places, cause you gotta go back and forth, and back and forth and…
C: That’s interesting
W: Yea, I mean you know this is the complain I’d have with any game of that type.
C: Right, you’re just a complainer aren’t you?
W: I am a complainer but all in all, I mean it is fun, it’s the kinda game where you just kinda get sucked in.
C: Yea, Im hoping….
W: It has some interesting features to it.
C: Im hoping this will be the first Xbox 360 that Mrs Cheapy will actually have some interest in.
W: Its possible, I mean like with any rpg its sometimes if you’re not playing and I’m sure someone is going to yell at me for this, but rpgs of this type.
W: To watch, someone go from person to person in a village and talk to them for two minutes and the go to the next person and talk to them, can be boring to watch, if you are not the person playing the game.
C: Okay, well lets, I got a few comments from the CAG message board.
W: Uh hrm
C: About Oblivion, so I’m just going to read them off, [Scorch] says “I just can’t stop playing, its so amazing, I was supposed to be at the girlfriends at an hour ago but, OBLIVION, and she said I could bring the 360 and play it there but I don’t wanna move.” So that pretty uh, bold statement.
W: That is a bold statement.
C: Passing up the girlfriend for some Oblivion and [RawisJericho] says “ Got it earlier, played through the tutorial and I’m still sporting an erection, I have to go to work here in a few and it wont go down, what should I do?” Just use the “oh its not an erection it’s just an optical illusion” line, so uh *chuckle* Yea, interesting. You may want to see a doctor about that.
W: *chuckle*
C: Or a psychiatrist.
W: The game is awesome, I mean I’ve already gone through like two little like two little dungeons, not even quest dungeons, just these little, “hey, what’s this door?”
C: Side dungeons.
W: Yea, where does it door go to and it takes you to a dungeon and you get, you know, I got some pretty sweet weapons and things. I’m into blunt objects mostly.
C: Blunts.
W: Blunts, “I like swingin’ blunts” so uhhh yea, I was using a mace a while there, hitting rats with a mace. So.
C: That’s very nice, well lets... uh we got a lot of games to go.
W: Yes so we’ll keep moving, okay what do we got next?
C: Next, uh Blazing Angels: Squadrons of World War II for the Xbox and Xbox 360.
W: I heard a rumor that the demo was out for this.
C: The demo is out on Xbox live market place. I did not get it yet, but I will as soon as were done here.
W: Yea, as will I.
C: It sounds like Crimson Skies, but with a World War II theme.
W: You know what though?
C: Does that sound accurate?
W: Have you ever played Crimson Skies? Yes I’ve played it with you.
W: That game is awesome.
C: Yea
W: So I, a next gen Crimson Skies [Cheapy interrupts with something incomprehendable] is enough to make, is enough to interest me in this game.
C: Right
W: I dunno
C: Okay
W: Hopefully the demo, and go from there
C: Alright then
C: Alright, moving on, The Godfather.
W: *hums godfather theme*
C: Yes I just watched this on tv the other day, no the game, the movie.
W: “IM MOE GREEN”
C: *chuckles* Right. You don’t talk to a man like Moe Green like that.
W: Uh hrm. Never go against the family Fredo.
C: Anyways, this is out for the Xbox, and PS2, and the PC and its coming out for the 360 in July
W: Erm, Yes in July
C: In July, now the reviews have been good, the reviews are already out for this game
W: I’m honestly surprised.
C: And uh it got an eighty four percent on game rankings
W: That’s not bad, that’s not bad for something like this. Well see I mean.
C: It’s a, its Grand Theft Auto with the Godfather license.
W: Its, more importantly, its Electronic Arts first M rated game.
C: Really?
W: You know where I read that too? In Variety of all uh....
C: Oh… look at you.
W: In all places Variety had a big article because you know they spent so much money.
C: Right, just getting the license.
W: They said economically there is no way Electronic Arts can’t take a loss on this game.
C: *chuckle* Right
W: So I mean but, its not necessarily that as much as it could be, maybe Electronic Arts may pull something out of their hat, make something good, and show that a Muture-rated game can be made for the masses so to speak without being overly controversial.
C: Hey I love the godfather so I Yea eventhough I guess ill wait for 360 version
W: Yea me too
C: But, yea it sounds like its got a lot of cool mechanics of the game play, like an intimidation hhh.... stuff going on and taking over businesses and getting your reputation up.
W: They have all that in Elder Scrolls too.
C: Oh, alright…screw the godfather
W: *laughter* I’m a jerk. There are no helmets in the godfather.
C: Right no swords either.
W: I can’t be a Nordic [C: no blunts] knight warrior, yea no… I was going to say no rats, but I’m sure there are rats in the godfather.

to be continued....i need sleep and oblivion time
please pm me any typographical errors, or spelling mistakes

[quote name='DuckM4n']Dad: “You watching smurf?”
Kid: “No, playing smurf”
Dad: “Oh, now it’s a videogame”
Kid: “Blabbermouth catches the smurfette, and it’s a smurf and he’s got a rescuer.
SMURFUNDERUM”
Dad: “Smurfunderum”
Kid: “That’s smurf talk, dad.”
…(I cannot make out the rest)
Dad: “Smurf them all!”
Narrator: “Play smurf on your Colecovision Atari 2600 VCS or Intellivision videogame system”
Kid: “Dad, maybe smurfs are too exciting for you”

C= CheapyD
W= Wombat

C: Welcome everybody to CAGcast number twenty two, the best CAGcast ever.
W: Ever
C: Ever
W: Ever?
C: I’m your host CheapyD and I’ve got Wombat here as well, virtually.
W: Virtually, yes.
C: You’re in my heart.
W: And in my soul.
W: Uh huh.
C: Well of course this is very exciting now that we are well into our twenties in the CAGcast…uh…history.
W: Old enough to drink, not old enough to rent a car.
C: *laughter* That’s true, that’s rue, unless you go to one of those budget car rentalplaces.
W: Or Mexico.
C: *laughter* Mexico, by the way lets go to Mexico.
W: There you go, CAGcast 22, spring break in Mexico.
C: Yea.
W: *giggle*
C: Well we have of course a very exciting show for everybody today, um its VERY exciting, so exciting my
head is going to explode.
W: Awesome, I’ll finish the show myself then.
C: Okay *weird sound*
W: Hey everyone, welcome to Wombat CAGcast number one, I’m your host wombat, and with me always is Wombat. Today were going to talk about stuff that, oh!, you’re here
C: Oh yes, Ive… Ive… A miraculous recovery has taken place, and I’m reeling back into control of the show.
W: Nice, our listeners are very lucky.
C: Well I think that’s enough playful banter for euhh…
W: The month
C: Today, for the month, and I think we should jump right into the new releases because there are many many new releases this week.
W: I know, it’s like December in, uh, March.
C: So its like Christmas in March.
W: Yea, you gonna start?
C: I guess, so, I guess the biggest release this is Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
W: Yes, I’m enjoying this game.
C: This is for the PC and Xbox 360, so you’ve had a chance to play it a little bit?
W: I’ve had it for two whole days.
W: I’ve probably put in a good five hours into the game.
C: Oh really?
W: Yea a good five hours.
C: Oh, so?
W: Three hours yesterday and two hours today.
C: And?
W: Its fun, its fun. It is a lot like the other one, the last one.
C: This is an open…
W: Uh huh
C: ...Open ended first person, third person role playing game?
W: Yes, the action is in real time, you know when you swing your sword…
W: You’re hitting someone, which is kind of cool. Its kind of strange in third person. You know, if… you know…, but the blocking I find to be surprisingly responsive.
C: Ah…so the combat is fun?
W: The combat is fun, the combats fun. I mean I’m a Nordic warrior knight named Wombat.
C: Doesn’t it say that in your high school yearbook?
W: It does say that in your high school year book. And I just got myself like a magic sword, which is actually kinda cool.
C: Okay.
W: Cause I completed my first real quest, not counting the tutorial quest.
W: So I completed my first real quest, which really involved me following a lot of people around.
W: But it looks fantastic, I mean the environments are great, there is some popup, theres the occasional slow down, but for the most part, I mean load times aren’t that annoying.
C: Its next gen then would you say?
W: Its next gen, its next gen except, you know, I would like there to be quicker loading, but that’s just me, I’ll never be happy with any load time. Even twenty seconds is too long. Cause you’re going from like, say you go from a dungeon and then you wanna go to the town and then back to the overworld, and you wanna just use the warp feature.
C: Right.
W: Which goes in handy, because half of the time I have no idea where I am going. Exceeeeeeeept you know you really just wanna go to two places within ten seconds, but it takes like a minute and a half to go two places, cause you gotta go back and forth, and back and forth and…
C: That’s interesting
W: Yea, I mean you know this is the complain I’d have with any game of that type.
C: Right, you’re just a complainer aren’t you?
W: I am a complainer but all in all, I mean it is fun, it’s the kinda game where you just kinda get sucked in.
C: Yea, Im hoping….
W: It has some interesting features to it.
C: Im hoping this will be the first Xbox 360 that Mrs Cheapy will actually have some interest in.
W: Its possible, I mean like with any rpg its sometimes if you’re not playing and I’m sure someone is going to yell at me for this, but rpgs of this type.
W: To watch, someone go from person to person in a village and talk to them for two minutes and the go to the next person and talk to them, can be boring to watch, if you are not the person playing the game.
C: Okay, well lets, I got a few comments from the CAG message board.
C: About Oblivion, so I’m just going to read them off, [Scorch] says “I just can’t stop playing, its so amazing, I was supposed to be at the girlfriends at an hour ago but, OBLIVION, and she said I could bring the 360 and play it there but I don’t wanna move.” So that pretty uh, bold statement.
W: That is a bold statement.
C: Passing up the girlfriend for some Oblivion and [RawisJericho] says “ Got it earlier, played through the tutorial and I’m still sporting an erection, I have to go to work here in a few and it wont go down, what should I do?” Just use the “oh its not an erection it’s just an optical illusion” line, so uh *chuckle* Yea, interesting. You may want to see a doctor about that.
W: *chuckle*
C: Or a psychiatrist.
W: The game is awesome, I mean I’ve already gone through like two little like two little dungeons, not even quest dungeons, just these little, “hey, what’s this door?”
C: Side dungeons.
W: Yea, where does it door go to and it takes you to a dungeon and you get, you know, I got some pretty sweet weapons and things. I’m into blunt objects mostly.
C: Blunts.
W: Blunts, “I like swingin’ blunts”

to be continued....i need lunch
please pm me any typographical errors, or spelling mistakes[/quote]

WTF?

hazah! my question asked, and with a transcript how is anyone going to be able to hear the wonderful sound effects of Wombat and the belching of Cheapy d

yes spliting it up sounds good, i try to add those sound effects, and i know the pain of having 56k especially when it runs at 12.5k because of noise on the line.

Hey guys, just a correction. Godfather is NOT EA's first M rated game.

Def Jam Fight For New York was the first for them.

Wait, I need to go back even farther. Alice and Undying were both M rated games by EA.

Thanks again for the CAGcast.

Great podcast, guys.

It's a shame neither of you seem interested in Metroid Prime: Hunters, because I'd be very interested to hear your impressions if you play it. I think your hands on/pseudo reviews would be a nice regular addition to the show.

Cheapy: Given your selection of the Revolution for the hype wagon and your reasoning (it will let you play old games), what was your reaction to today's announcement that the system will also host classic Sega and Hudson (TurboGrafx) games? I'd also be interested in hearing Wombat's reaction, given his bittersweet recollections of his donated Genesis during this week's show.

I appreciated the analysis of the GDC PS3 news. Can you guys cover the Nintendo news next week?

Great Cagcast. Still not sure why Wombat thinks I'm his enemy. Is it just me or did Wombat sound angry the whole time? They could of been talking about Super Mario Bros. and he would of called it crap. Then CheapyD sort went along with his mood, shit shoes and all. I wonder why Wombat was so upset?

GamerChris: Good call on the "M" rated stuff,I'm glad I said I read it somewhere and that it wasn't a fact because I said so, wasn't Alice EA also, really I should know better.

thorbahn3: I called you my enemy because you have something to say about me, it was a term of endearment, really I'm not even being sarcastic, I like it. I did sound really angry this time though, I had a long day and I guess I took out on all of you, I'm like the drunk dad that CAG community always wanted.

" I could have gone pro but you CAGbrats ruined everything"

[quote name='Wombat']GamerChris: Good call on the "M" rated stuff,I'm glad I said I read it somewhere and that it wasn't a fact because I said so, wasn't Alice EA also, really I should know better.

thorbahn3: I called you my enemy because you have something to say about me, it was a term of endearment, really I'm not even being sarcastic, I like it. I did sound really angry this time though, I had a long day and I guess I took out on all of you, I'm like the drunk dad that CAG community always wanted.

" I could have gone pro but you CAGbrats ruined everything"[/QUOTE]
Wombat smackin' CAGgots up after a hard day in the burrows.

[quote name='Wombat']GamerChris: Good call on the "M" rated stuff,I'm glad I said I read it somewhere and that it wasn't a fact because I said so, wasn't Alice EA also, really I should know better.

" I could have gone pro but you CAGbrats ruined everything"[/QUOTE]

Better us than your wife. Then you would be getting a beating.:D
But yeah your mood certainly made this Cagcast unique. Shit shoes has to be your best work btw.

Nothing about the PS3/PSP conference last week? You guys always seem to ignore the stuff that happens before the day or two before the show.

Otherwise, good show.

Why no outro music or ad from the past this week ?
I love that stuff.
The old Atari Pac Man commercial from awhile back had me cracking up because even as a 8 year old I knew that game was crap.
The Smurfs intro was definitely cool this week.

Sorry...I was in a rush this week, that is why there was no outro.
I had a friend coming in for the weekend and had to pick him up from the airport.

is the pic used for the cagcasts meant to be cheapy and wombat....do they really look like that?

I live in florida and work at disney...i work at disney and wish wombat would have come through, id love to hook any fellow cags up.

peace

kev

[quote name='kevin724']is the pic used for the cagcasts meant to be cheapy and wombat....do they really look like that?

I live in florida and work at disney...i work at disney and wish wombat would have come through, id love to hook any fellow cags up.

peace

kev[/QUOTE]

Yes. Wombat really is a talking wombat. CheapyD however is really a short black man with an afro.

I thought Wombat's comments on Tetris DS were particularly harsh for no apparent reason. Sure Tetris has been around for a LONG time, we all know that, especially since we're from the older school of gamers, but that doesn't negate the fact that it is a great game.

The comparsion to playing GRAW online vs. Tetris DS was apples to oranges, but I would still wager that more copies of Tetris DS will be bought than GRAW, and that more people will play Tetris DS online than GRAW. Remember that WFC had a million users log onto their service is 18 weeks. It took Xbox Live a year to reach that many people.

Sorry for the rant but for some reason you pissed me off with those comments when I was listening this morning. It seemed (sort of) out of character for you.

I trust the opinions of any man who has Chimay Rouge as his avatar.
I'll PM you Wombat's home phone number so you can prank call him at your convenience.

I loved the episode this week and last guys. I list to them during my downtime at work, and I really enjoy the fact they're almost an hour now, but it's a fresh and enjoyable hour, doesn't drag on.

[quote name='lebowsky']I thought Wombat's comments on Tetris DS were particularly harsh for no apparent reason. Sure Tetris has been around for a LONG time, we all know that, especially since we're from the older school of gamers, but that doesn't negate the fact that it is a great game.

The comparsion to playing GRAW online vs. Tetris DS was apples to oranges, but I would still wager that more copies of Tetris DS will be bought than GRAW, and that more people will play Tetris DS online than GRAW. Remember that WFC had a million users log onto their service is 18 weeks. It took Xbox Live a year to reach that many people.

Sorry for the rant but for some reason you pissed me off with those comments when I was listening this morning. It seemed (sort of) out of character for you.[/QUOTE]

I never said Tetris wasn't a great game, but even with online play its not worth 35 bucks, even 20 for me would a stretch, 15 and maybe you would have a deal, a 12 year old that hasnt changed other then the platform you are playing it on is worth 15 bucks for good online play, then again if you have an XBox you can play online for 9 bucks and get a crappy Star Wars game too

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=950372

[quote name='Wombat']I never said Tetris wasn't a great game, but even with online play its not worth 35 bucks, even 20 for me would a stretch, 15 and maybe you would have a deal, a 12 year old that hasnt changed other then the platform you are playing it on is worth 15 bucks for good online play, then again if you have an XBox you can play online for 9 bucks and get a crappy Star Wars game too

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=950372[/QUOTE]
But Tetris Worlds sucks ;)

[quote name='Wombat']I never said Tetris wasn't a great game, but even with online play its not worth 35 bucks, even 20 for me would a stretch, 15 and maybe you would have a deal, a 12 year old that hasnt changed other then the platform you are playing it on is worth 15 bucks for good online play, then again if you have an XBox you can play online for 9 bucks and get a crappy Star Wars game too

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=950372[/QUOTE]

There is something to be said for the "Tetris is Tetris" argument. However, if you actually take a look at latest incarnation -- and I sincerely hope you do, because it really is good stuff -- you'll see that they've added a great many modes that travel far afield from the traditional puzzler we all played into the ground. Push mode and Catch mode (and there are several others beside) in particular really move the genre forward. And the online multiplayer is extremely well implemented.

In general, the Tetris DS package as a whole is, well, worlds beyond Tetris Worlds. To compare the two and to suggest that the only difference between them is the platform on which they're played demonstrates that you haven't given the title a fair shot.

[quote name='Tybee']There is something to be said for the "Tetris is Tetris" argument. However, if you actually take a look at latest incarnation -- and I sincerely hope you do, because it really is good stuff -- you'll see that they've added a great many modes that travel far afield from the traditional puzzler we all played into the ground. Push mode and Catch mode (and there are several others beside) in particular really move the genre forward. And the online multiplayer is extremely well implemented.

In general, the Tetris DS package as a whole is, well, worlds beyond Tetris Worlds. To compare the two and to suggest that the only difference between them is the platform on which they're played demonstrates that you haven't given the title a fair shot.[/QUOTE]

I see your point and don't disagree with you, I just don't see what new modes can justifty Tetris for 35.00+tax.

Yeah instead you can buy a graphically updated version of a 5 yr old game for $60. ;)

Not that I disagree with you on Tetris tho. I want it, but not for $35.

People flame GameSpot's review, but the author made some good points, namely the lack of customization of the new-style rules. You'd think that for an already simple game such as Tetris, customization/disabling of the newer rules that simplify it even further would be quite a high priority on their list.

[quote name='Wombat']I see your point and don't disagree with you, I just don't see what new modes can justifty Tetris for 35.00+tax.[/QUOTE]

Oh, but as King (well, Duke, anyway) of the CAGs, you must realize that it's not really $35. Hell, MSRP is $29.99, which means it's easily had at BB for $24.99 with a GGC. And I think most here who have played the game would agree that that price is justified.

bread's done
Back