free xbhell lighter with donation

it shouldn't be down at all. And it's a site dedicated to xbox and xbox 360 help and news, faqs, guides, codes, and reviews.

it's only 360 stuff right now, but soon the xbox stuff will be up too.

but thanks for the up!

[quote name='yukine']It's not free if you HAVE to donate. ;)[/quote]
Agreed.
Also, the lighters look like they were made from paint ( I mean the words on the lighters). Anyway, free bump for you for trying to get donations for your site.

Not to be a dick, but why would anyone donate to a site that has zero content? You should have taken the money you spent on having those crappy lighters printed and bought a real domain name and some cheap hosting somewhere.

what do you mean no content? it does have content! and the donations are so that i can pay off the site for an entire year! i'm upgrading in 2-3 months so i'll have enough to pay a whole year! and i'm sure it will never be as good as cag, but hopefully somewhere near there!

What I'm saying is try asking for help building your site, it doesn't have to be professional help, then when you have a decent amount of content/looking a little more refined start asking for donations. Currently you have a terrible design, numerous spelling errors, Pepto colored text, etc. There are so many sites for video games on the web that don't ask for donations, you are going to have a hard time convincing people to donte to a site that looks like it was made in 8th grade computer class. (Wait, was it?) If you don't know much about coding/html the pick up a free builder to help you. I suggest you try Arachnophilia http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/index.html It's a pretty good editor for free.

yeah i know! i have templates ready, but i cant upload the good ones until i upgrade from a subdomain to a domain. Thanks for the advice though!

[quote name='puternerd']What I'm saying is try asking for help building your site, it doesn't have to be professional help, then when you have a decent amount of content/looking a little more refined start asking for donations. Currently you have a terrible design, numerous spelling errors, Pepto colored text, etc. There are so many sites for video games on the web that don't ask for donations, you are going to have a hard time convincing people to donte to a site that looks like it was made in 8th grade computer class. (Wait, was it?) If you don't know much about coding/html the pick up a free builder to help you. I suggest you try Arachnophilia http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/index.html It's a pretty good editor for free.[/quote]

[quote name='skull5555']yeah i know! i have templates ready, but i cant upload the good ones until i upgrade from a subdomain to a domain. Thanks for the advice though![/quote]

I think you should go with a different host. I know of a good one if you're interested, it will be a subdomain, but it won't be as long as bravehost.com

[quote name='dmes65']Why not sell some of your games on here to make some money for your site?[/quote]

Good idea. All he would need is $8.95 for a domain, and that's for a full year.

[quote name='skull5555']i can't sell on here because i cant post a thread! you have to be a member for 30 days first![/quote]
Since when? And isn't this a thread?

Also, your site layout and design is really bad. I think people would have more incentive to donate to a site that looks somewhat good. Also people around here do not really like when a person joins the community and just starts asking for things, would you give a stranger something just becuase he wants it?

Lighters? I can get 5 of them for a dollar at a dollar store. Couldn't you have just spent the money for the money you need? Personally I would not get ask for donations, I would either get a job, sell stuff or just borrow some money. For the small sum you need all those options would be faster and easier. And speaking of selling, even if you can't sell here why not trade a game in to EB or GS?

And a tip for your site, why not go witha different color background. It seems like everyone is choosing black. The text color is just strange to look at, stick with white or black. I also suggest you do more then just post links to other sites, it seems like that is all you do. Couldn't the people just go to the site you keep linking to and get everythign there without going through your site?

well i got my other account back, that account was my friends! and yes the layout will be updated shortly!:roll:

"(EC) Sorry, but this service has suffered an unrecoverable error of some sort."

Here's the error I get when trying to access the forums and the photo gallery.

Seriously, you should look at paid hosting and buy a domain before even opening your site. There are some inexpensive alternatives to the free hosting.

I'm not claiming to be a guru or anything, but here's a little advice:

-don't ask for donations until you have something to offer. If your site's a little bigger and has a reader base, people might be more willing to throw you a buck or two to help out. Right now it comes off as a bunch of links to other sites.

-Buy the name, buy some space. Any schmoe can set up a free site overnight and start asking for cash. Invest the $9 in a name, then buy some cheap hosting. We used joeusa.com when we first started out, and it was fine for what we needed. It's like $13 per year.

-Have your site looking like you want it to look before you tell people to check it out. You usually have one chance to get someone's attention. Do you want someone looking for a new xbox site to stumble on yours today and base their opinion on what you have to offer? I was just there 2 minutes ago and already forgot the name. Buy the name (did I mention that already?)

-Join some forums with other gaming webmasters. There are some great communities out there that like to help people out starting their own gaming sites. PM me for a recommendation. Read about the problems they had starting out, and learn how to avoid them. Ask questions, opinions, et cetera.

-CMS, CMS, CMS. The second you get some real hosting, pick a content management system that suits your needs. You'll thank me later. Once you get bigger and start flowing with news/reviews, the HTML isn't going to cut it, and transferring is a bitch. Start from scratch with a CMS.

With about $25 you can be up and running. Hell, give the lighters away to people that join your forums and start posting. You've got to spend money to make money unfortunately.

I just saw this on the bottom of your front page:

-To become a staff member, email [email protected]. You will then be given your own subsite which you are to maintain and keep updated. All you have to do is donate $2.00 and you will be staff.
You will also recieve staff assistance with your site if needed.

Sorry man - you're not going to find a lot of help that way. We freekin' GIVE people games and movies to review, and we still only have a handful of reviewers that contribute on a regular basis.

bread's done
Back