Lock Me Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

craven_fiend

CAGiversary!
Feedback
112 (100%)
Alright, so the start of the season is within a week, so its time to close out the chapter of the Hot Stove, and move onto the season itself.

Not quite season related, but whats with MLB 2K6 coming out at the end of April, as opposed to prior to the season?

jhd-mlb-bluejays.jpg

For life.

I have MVP Baseball 2005 for my computer. MVPMods.com released "MVP Baseball '06," which is essentially a culmination of all of the best mods that were made for MVP '05.

Fortunately, the rosters are completely updated (not to mention complete minor leagues with real pictures and everything!).

I can't wait for the season to start.

Between stuartz and tavarez, I would imagine there should be several bench clearing brawls between the yanks and sox.

/\ Are there going to be any suspensions or fines handed out for this incident?
Only a few more days, it baseball is officially back.

Also, if anyone else is interested in joining the 2nd league I started up, pm me and I'll give you the info. If we can get 10 people, then I'll be content. If not, then I'll just crush the league. And for those in it, feel free to invite friends into it.

most likely no suspension, as far as I know, there were no video footage of it. Probably a fine though.

RANDOM NEWS

Infielder Tony Graffanino was claimed off waivers Tuesday by the Kansas City Royals

Marquis Grissom, a non-roster invitee to spring training with the Chicago Cubs, announced his retirement Tuesday after a 17-year major league career.

An insurance claim filed by the Houston Astros to try to recoup $15.6 million of injured first baseman Jeff Bagwell's contract has been denied.

I hope Tavarez gets the shit beat out of him. What a fucking pussy.

If he doesn't get the shit beat out of him I hope he breaks his hand again throwing a tantrum in the dugout

the clevand indians did a contract extension with CF Grady Siezmore. 6 years, valued at approx 23 mill.

The dodgers gave jeff kent an additional year thru 2007, with an option for 2008

News from the Mets: Aaron Heilmann will start the season in the 'pen and Brian Bannister will be the 5th starter. This is because Wagner's middle finger is still bothering him and Julio's still rusty after the WBC.

I'd like to hear Cornfed's opinion on the Sizemore deal. I don't know enough about him to know if that kind of scratch is justified.

I'm still in the air about Kent. He's a great bat but they gotta move him to first. He has the defensive range of a dog tied to a tree.

The Sizemore deal is debatable. Actually, I think it's kind of misleading, because the last year of the contract (which is a team option) is worth like $11.5 million.

Sizemore is a lot like Coco Crsip. Not really an elite hitter, but they can both play center field... so they're a lot more valuable.

Indians basically gave guaranteed money to Sizmore, as opposed to taking him year-to-year in arbitration. They will likely save money doing it that way (in the long run), but also run the risk of having Grady get injured and having guaranteed money.

the avg yearly payout is a tad under 4mill. That is a great deal imo, he is 23 and has 1 full season at the ML level. His stats last year were
AVG .289 | HR 22 | RBI 81 | OBP .348 | SLG .484

, and oh yeah he stole 22 bases. Now take a look at damon, who is 33 with a bum shoulder. AVG .316 | HR 10 | RBI 75 | OBP .366 | SLG .439 . Damon is making what 13mill a season over 4 years.

Yes he could get hurt, but that is how you build contenders. You sign a young kid to a longterm contract. That is what the indians did with there team of the mid to late 90's. Albert belle, carlos bagera, sandy alomar all got signed to long contracts when they were young.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']The Sizemore deal is debatable. Actually, I think it's kind of misleading, because the last year of the contract (which is a team option) is worth like $11.5 million.

Sizemore is a lot like Coco Crsip. Not really an elite hitter, but they can both play center field... so they're a lot more valuable.

Indians basically gave guaranteed money to Sizmore, as opposed to taking him year-to-year in arbitration. They will likely save money doing it that way (in the long run), but also run the risk of having Grady get injured and having guaranteed money.[/QUOTE]

Sizemore will be much better than Crisp in the long run. He's been a top prospect for a few years now and finally got the opporunity last year. He's projected to be an annual 30/30 guy.

At 23 years old, that sounds like a great deal. It sounds like a good business decision to have a young guy start everyday at center for the six years. If he takes off this year or the next, the Indians look like geniuses. Even if he stays at this pace, they look like smart guys. Maybe we'll see another core of young Indians. They've got Victor Martinez, CC Sabathia, Sizemore, Travis Hafner, Andy Marte, and Jhonny Peralta.

[quote name='depascal22']At 23 years old, that sounds like a great deal. It sounds like a good business decision to have a young guy start everyday at center for the six years. If he takes off this year or the next, the Indians look like geniuses. Even if he stays at this pace, they look like smart guys. Maybe we'll see another core of young Indians. They've got Victor Martinez, CC Sabathia, Sizemore, Travis Hafner, Andy Marte, and Jhonny Peralta.[/QUOTE]

Dude you spelled Jhonny wrong.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Would be nice to see another Tribe team on top done so with young talent. Some would say smart teams, like the Braves, use a core of home grown talent to build a solid team. And use free agency to fill in minor gaps. I think the Indians are trying to follow this model. The only thing that can screw it up is if players get greedy and demand more money so then you need to trade them.

well the 90's indians pretty much just let everyone leave. Some were traded, I am pretty sure the colon trade, netted them several players that are on the team now.

I've been watching the Florida Marlins play here and there during Spring Training and from the crazy deals they've made, whether they move or not, if they keep these young kids together for 2-3 years, this is a perennial World Series contender. The outfield of Willingham and Hermida is really talented, along with Miguel Cabrera, this is going to be an interesting year.

It's the new Marlins model. It's a good long term strategy. Instead of overpaying year after year like the Sox and Yanks do, they're reloading every five years. You'll have one or two years of god awful to mediocre play but when it all comes together, they'll just need a good manager to steer the ship. It sucks that Joe Girardi will probably get the axe before this team is good enough to contend again.

So apparantly there will be an investigation into Bonds and other players regarding steroids. It's going to be headed by a congressman. I have a feeling this is going to get really ugly if they do investigate thoroughly.

[quote name='depascal22']Tell his mother that. She put the h in his name.[/QUOTE]

I know was just screwing around.

[quote name='greendj27']So apparantly there will be an investigation into Bonds and other players regarding steroids. It's going to be headed by a congressman. I have a feeling this is going to get really ugly if they do investigate thoroughly.[/QUOTE]

baseball should have shut the fuck up and moved on. This is really going to cause major headaches as they will have to go through the whole history of the game and no matter where they start they are always going to be missing out on people who took steroids.

The NFL has had players admit usage of steroids and has moved on and the same could happen to baseball if they just move on from the issue.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']baseball should have shut the fuck up and moved on. This is really going to cause major headaches as they will have to go through the whole history of the game and no matter where they start they are always going to be missing out on people who took steroids.

The NFL has had players admit usage of steroids and has moved on and the same could happen to baseball if they just move on from the issue.[/quote]

Good point, the only problem I have with this investigation is their only investigating Bonds. You have to investigate everyone, every pitcher who threw the ball to the catcher, to every batter who hit a single. It seems to me to be impossible to find out.

How are they going to prove Bonds did steroids? What about Beltre? The MLB is in a hole and they know it. Major sponsors like Home Depot have pulled out of the Bonds chasing the HR Record..hopefully they do something, but do it the right way.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Good point, the only problem I have with this investigation is their only investigating Bonds. You have to investigate everyone, every pitcher who threw the ball to the catcher, to every batter who hit a single. It seems to me to be impossible to find out.

How are they going to prove Bonds did steroids? What about Beltre? The MLB is in a hole and they know it. Major sponsors like Home Depot have pulled out of the Bonds chasing the HR Record..hopefully they do something, but do it the right way.[/QUOTE]

The article on ESPN.com says that they are NOT only investigating Bonds. That's why I think this whole thing is going to get really ugly.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Good point, the only problem I have with this investigation is their only investigating Bonds. You have to investigate everyone, every pitcher who threw the ball to the catcher, to every batter who hit a single. It seems to me to be impossible to find out.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with that. Not every play is on pace to break the all-time home run record.

Why should they investigate the whole league? It's not "fair" if they target Bonds? Was it fair when he used steroids to cheat?

It's the "bigger fish in the sea" theory. He's going to get the most publicity. It would be like trying to take down someone with a T1 connection who's sharing thousands of files, instead of someone on dial-up who got three songs.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']I don't agree with that. Not every play is on pace to break the all-time home run record.

Why should they investigate the whole league? It's not "fair" if they target Bonds? Was it fair when he used steroids to cheat?

It's the "bigger fish in the sea" theory. He's going to get the most publicity. It would be like trying to take down someone with a T1 connection who's sharing thousands of files, instead of someone on dial-up who got three songs.[/quote]

It's not fair that if Bonds is convicted of steroid use that it is 'fair' but it still remains that when they 'investigate' players, which is basically a cover up just to investigate Bonds, and if he does get convicted they will have to go back to the supposed use from 98'-03'. That means every player who got an RBI from driving in Bonds, every run scored by Barry Bonds, every walk,strike-out, by a pitcher will have to be examined.

[quote name='ph33r m3']It's not fair that if Bonds is convicted of steroid use that it is 'fair' but it still remains that when they 'investigate' players, which is basically a cover up just to investigate Bonds, and if he does get convicted they will have to go back to the supposed use from 98'-03'. That means every player who got an RBI from driving in Bonds, every run scored by Barry Bonds, every walk,strike-out, by a pitcher will have to be examined.[/QUOTE]

No, that's just getting asinine to take it that far.

Why would they have to do that? If -- or should I say, when -- they find out he was using steroids. Some action will be taken. The games will not be altered, just his record will be.

Will it be an asterisk? I think that's too light. Possibly a ban from baseball? Maybe too steep. But they'll figure out something. They have to. It's gotten too out of control, and it's too obvious that Bonds took performance-enhancing drugs.

Just because X% of the league did it too really doesn't matter. It's besides the point. Like I said earlier, that X% of the league isn't on it's way to becoming the all-time home run leader.

I'm going to take what you say with a grain of salt, because I'm assuming that, as a 49ers fan, you're also a Giants fan... and there's probably a tad bit of bias in your argument. (If, say, this were Pujols... I'd be the same way.) Now if you can legitimately tell me you're not being biased (which I believe would be extremely unlikely), then say so... but I'd call you in denial, or, perhaps, naive.

Bonds cheated and will likely suffer the consequences. Unfortunately for him, karma is a bitch. With the good comes the bad. With all of the glory will now come punishment. Is it fair on a league-wide basis? Probably not. But is it fair that he cheated and now will be punished? Yes. Undeniably.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']No, that's just getting asinine to take it that far.

Why would they have to do that? If -- or should I say, when -- they find out he was using steroids. Some action will be taken. The games will not be altered, just his record will be.

Will it be an asterisk? I think that's too light. Possibly a ban from baseball? Maybe too steep. But they'll figure out something. They have to. It's gotten too out of control, and it's too obvious that Bonds took performance-enhancing drugs.

Just because X% of the league did it too really doesn't matter. It's besides the point. Like I said earlier, that X% of the league isn't on it's way to becoming the all-time home run leader.

I'm going to take what you say with a grain of salt, because I'm assuming that, as a 49ers fan, you're also a Giants fan... and there's probably a tad bit of bias in your argument. (If, say, this were Pujols... I'd be the same way.) Now if you can legitimately tell me you're not being biased (which I believe would be extremely unlikely), then say so... but I'd call you in denial, or, perhaps, naive.

Bonds cheated and will likely suffer the consequences. Unfortunately for him, karma is a bitch. With the good comes the bad. With all of the glory will now come punishment. Is it fair on a league-wide basis? Probably not. But is it fair that he cheated and now will be punished? Yes. Undeniably.[/quote]\

I don't agree with your argument at all. Bonds broke mcguires record, and he and sosa broke marris record. Bonds, sosa, and mcguire all have a cloud of suspicion over them. So doing something to bonds, and only bonds isn't fair, thus giving the single season home run record to mcguire. What about palmerio and all his 3k hits. What about the mvp in the late 80's canseco won, mike greenwel has been bitching about it for years, if canseco hadn't cheated, he would have won the mvp. What about the pitchers, clemans is mid 40's and had a extremely low era last year. Since the mid 90's records have been crumbling, only targeting bonds because you feel that the most homers in mlb is the most important record is ignorant and unfair to the other former record holders.

As for the investigation, which is going after the players, I feel MLB is doing this all wrong. It should be a 3 pronged investigation going after the players, the commish office, and the players union. Everyone was involved, regardless if they were actually sticking themselves with needles, or turning the other way.

This whole thing is a mess. Hopefully, it doesn't drive away too many fans. I've liked the new excitement about baseball but then again being in New York you got nothing but rabid baseball fans around here.

I think the Twins could either be really good and win the division, or be a bust. I will probably pick something in between, maybe 2nd in the central and fighting for a wild card. Francisco Liriano and Scott Baker both have really good shots at rookie of the year though.

WHOA, talk about a big suspension for julian tavares..
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060330&content_id=1374711&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

Tavarez suspended for 10 days
Sox righty penalized for altercation with Rays' Gathright

ORT MYERS, Fla. -- Red Sox reliever Julian Tavarez, who hit Devil Rays outfielder Joey Gathright twice in the head on Monday, received his punishment from Major League Baseball on Thursday. The right-hander was handed a 10-day suspension, which is slated to begin on April 3, when the Red Sox open their season on the road against the Rangers.

Tavarez was also fined an undisclosed amount. According to the release issued by Major League Baseball, Tavarez received the discipline for "violent and unsportsmanlike actions."
Because the Red Sox have two off-days in the first week of the season, Tavarez would miss eight games.
However, Tavarez might decide to appeal. When word of the suspension came out, Red Sox manager Terry Francona had yet to speak with Tavarez, who had already left the ballpark.
Francona said he would confer with Tavarez about the matter on Friday. He said he didn't know if Tavarez's decision would affect the composition of the Opening Day roster.
This is the fifth time Tavarez has been suspended by Major League Baseball during his career. Francona wonders if his previous history played a role in the punishment.
"It sure seems like it," Francona said. "That's a pretty stiff penalty."
The incident occurred in the top of the eighth inning of Monday's game. At the end of a rundown play, Tavarez was covering the plate. As Gathright came sliding in, Tavarez tagged him out and inadvertently stepped on the outfielder's right forearm.
The speedy Gathright seemed to have an issue with how aggressively Tavarez was covering the plate with his left leg, and he gave the pitcher a slight nudge as he slid.
Irked by this, Tavarez landed a glancing blow to Gathright's chin area. He followed up with a hit to the top of the forehead.
Devil Rays infielder Greg Norton then piledrived Tavarez to the ground and both benches emptied. At this time, the Devil Rays haven't received any punishment for the incident.
Should the Devil Rays also get some discipline? "I don't know. I really don't know," said Francona. "I don't think it matters what I say. I don't think it has in the past. I don't think it will in the future."

tTlqmWZH.jpg

good. As I said, he is a POS and deserves whatever he gets for acts like this.

also bud selig is an idiot. This steroid investigation is a sham and Buster Olney hit the nail on the head in his commentary

As much as I can't stand Tavarez, the suspension is kind of steep. 5 days max, IMHO. Sure he's a douche, but the 2nd blow was the issue, and shouldn't have cost him 10 days.

But if Norton gets the same type of suspension, or at the very least suspended, then its all water under the bridge.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']good. As I said, he is a POS and deserves whatever he gets for acts like this.

also bud selig is an idiot. This steroid investigation is a sham and Buster Olney hit the nail on the head in his commentary[/quote]

I was hoping for a longer suspension of Tavarez. I was hoping that the punishment would be the Devil Rays guy gets two clean punches in against Tavarez.

See here's where the 'bias' part of me goes away. If Bonds is found guilty, you wipe the records. Yea sure, you can't find out when he started it so some of his HR's may apply. But you must wipe them clean. They should investigate McGwire and Sosa who really started this whole 'chicks dig the long ball' buisness.

10 days, which is equal to 8 games is very steep. Still no word on gatherwrights suspension, or the guy that tackled tavares. If the guy that tackled him gets 10 games, and gathwright is at 5 games, I am ok with it. I personally like the bench clearing brawls in baseball (and hockey). They help create a hatred of the opposing team that creates a lot of tension. The devil rays have historically sucked, but I look forward to the sox playing them, as something usually happens when the sox play them.

This entire generation is suspected of steroid abuse. We saw Brady Anderson hit 50 HR's for chrissakes. The problem is that they can only go after the guys they have proof of abuse. They've got Bonds, Sheffield, and Giambi implicated with Balco, so they'll probably go down. This is no more than a witch hunt and some big profile guys will go down.

[quote name='ryanbph']10 days, which is equal to 8 games is very steep. Still no word on gatherwrights suspension, or the guy that tackled tavares. If the guy that tackled him gets 10 games, and gathwright is at 5 games, I am ok with it. I personally like the bench clearing brawls in baseball (and hockey). They help create a hatred of the opposing team that creates a lot of tension. The devil rays have historically sucked, but I look forward to the sox playing them, as something usually happens when the sox play them.[/QUOTE]

It's not 8 games because pitchers don't pitch in every single game. That's why pitchers usually get longer suspensions. It's really a 3-4 game suspension at best.

[quote name='greendj27']It's not 8 games because pitchers don't pitch in every single game. That's why pitchers usually get longer suspensions. It's really a 3-4 game suspension at best.[/quote]

Tavarez is a reliever, so he pitches near enough every other game.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Tavarez is a reliever, so he pitches near enough every other game.[/QUOTE]

Which makes it about 3-4 games since there are only 8 games in those ten days. ;)

[quote name='greendj27']Which makes it about 3-4 games since there are only 8 games in those ten days. ;)[/quote]

Let's say 10 days, is 6 games, that's 3-4. Not enough, I say you ban him from the league, and let him pitch in those Domican leagues, where if you punch somebody, you'll be killed.

Well like I said, if the guy that piledrived him, (kinda like the 3rd man in a fight penalty in hockey) gets the same amount. Gathwright also started it with the nudge, so he should be penalized as well. If you are going to be tough, it should be across the board.

As for the 3 - 4 game debate, we are talking 8 games. He is most likely our 7th inn pitcher right now,(down the road that will change.) with timlin the 8th and foulke the 9th. Since pitchers take longer to get ready then hitters, most of our starting pitching will probably go 5 - 6 ip on avg. Our bullpen is going to be taxed a lot, and seanez and riske looked like shit all spring.

im thinking/hoping that the brewers will have a surprisingly successful season this year with a bunch of new star athletes.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I was hoping for a longer suspension of Tavarez. I was hoping that the punishment would be the Devil Rays guy gets two clean punches in against Tavarez.

See here's where the 'bias' part of me goes away. If Bonds is found guilty, you wipe the records. Yea sure, you can't find out when he started it so some of his HR's may apply. But you must wipe them clean. They should investigate McGwire and Sosa who really started this whole 'chicks dig the long ball' buisness.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about Greg Maddux in that commercial this morning walking to class for some reason. I think it is because I plan on doing the bonds story for my persuasive speech in public speaking.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2390936

Now I have my chance, Anna and Kris Benson are divorcing.

Now for important topics. The steriod crap is bull shit. Not only do they have to "prove" somone like Bonds did steroids, they have to show that it happened after 2002. Since steroids were not illegal before that. Its not going to prove anything, just use it as a footnote to the history of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back