- - - - -

MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

#6181 Chase   imo CAGiversary!   7655 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

I had money on Prado against Davis in the first fight and felt real confident in Prado before the eye poke.

Yeah, Jones should truck Sonnen—but Sonnen-Jones is infinitely more interesting and competitive than rematches with Machida or Rua. Sonnen won five of seven rounds from Anderson Silva—who is arguably the best fighter on Earth. I'd like to see Rua retire before his cripples himself, and Machida should be at 185.

Upset of the year, thus far. I love seeing friends succeed. Tyson totally deserves a spot in one of the big three.

P.S. Rumor around town is that Belfort looks huge. Additionally, Belfort is working with the Blackzilians for this fight, with Rashad Evans as his head coach and Alistair Overeem as another coach. If you have extra chalk, I'd drop some on Belfort.

#6182 pitfallharry219  

pitfallharry219

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:43 AM

Ad for Sonnen's pizza place in Oregon:

Posted Image

#6183 shotgunshine   The People's Champ CAGiversary!   977 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

shotgunshine

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

I had money on Prado against Davis in the first fight and felt real confident in Prado before the eye poke.

Yeah, Jones should truck Sonnen—but Sonnen-Jones is infinitely more interesting and competitive than rematches with Machida or Rua. Sonnen won five of seven rounds from Anderson Silva—who is arguably the best fighter on Earth. I'd like to see Rua retire before his cripples himself, and Machida should be at 185.

Upset of the year, thus far. I love seeing friends succeed. Tyson totally deserves a spot in one of the big three.

P.S. Rumor around town is that Belfort looks huge. Additionally, Belfort is working with the Blackzilians for this fight, with Rashad Evans as his head coach and Alistair Overeem as another coach. If you have extra chalk, I'd drop some on Belfort.

Damn at Dantas getting ko'd. They need to bring Nam to Bellator for a rematch.

#6184 bigpimpin24   Killamanjaro! CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

bigpimpin24

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Got dang look how gormandized Belfort appears. He's looking like Reem before he got caught ...

Posted Image

Fuck. Belfort does look huge. Regardless, I don't think he will even touch Jones. As long as Jones doesn't try to do any take downs, he won't get screwed by some bullshit stand ups. I hope Jones takes this fight differently than others and doesn't respect Belfort too much. I would like to see a stoppage within the first 2 minutes to shut everybody up. Chael continues to fish for a title shot in a division he clearly does not deserve one in.

#6185 Maklershed   Feed me a stray cat CAGiversary!   34088 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

<3 FrontRowBrian ...

@FrontRowBrian: Machida has turned down 3 PPV main events in past year plus... 133, 151 and 152.

#6186 Chase   imo CAGiversary!   7655 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:52 AM

I dig the opinions of Bloodstain Lane and FRB. I think FRB made a mention that he is in talks with ESPN. That would be incredible for MMA fans to have a person like FRB promoting MMA in the mainstream.

I just read that there was speculation that—due to injury—Belfort was set to pull out of UFC 152. Could you imagine the additional chaos?

And I did a short, first entry about my first four months in the bet game. (If that sorta thing interests you.) http://chasebyblog.b...alk-part-1.html

#6187 Ced   Monster Hustler CAGiversary!   1244 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

Oh god, Dana's going to hit unprecedented levels of douchebag if Belfort can't go either.

#6188 Magiblaze   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   468 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Magiblaze

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Its a nice blog chase.Although I slightly disagree about wheat bread, or rather whole wheat for the fiber and it can help you feel full for longer and all of the heart benefits and that sort of thing but I suppose with a name like the devastation method you're rather trying to go for quicker times which would make sense.Agree totally on the kettlebells too,feel they're underrated at times when talking about strength all over that people will actually use and can get stuff out of.I'd like to try going vegan like you but just too use to being a meat eater.

For me I'd probably raise it a bit higher with maybe 70% research and 30% luck if I had to guess.

#6189 Thekrakrabbit   Is Making A Comeback! CAGiversary!   4833 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Thekrakrabbit

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

Belfort possibly pulling out would be massive chaos, I would love to see that just to witness Dana's reaction personally.

#6190 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16968 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

Belfort possibly pulling out would be massive chaos, I would love to see that just to witness Dana's reaction personally.

Dana White: "Fuck it! I'm fighting Jon Jones myself!"

#6191 bigpimpin24   Killamanjaro! CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

bigpimpin24

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

Dana White: "Fuck it! I'm fighting Jon Jones myself!"

I wouldn't doubt it. Remember he got all serious about fighting Tito Ortiz? LOL.

#6192 Ced   Monster Hustler CAGiversary!   1244 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

In ring murder vs mafia murder. Are you ready to spend $50 for a live execution?

#6193 icp_00_111   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1060 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

I think the best thing about the cancellation is the one marquee matchup gets to go on the next card, which I thought was thin too but now at least has one more great matchup. I wish the UFC would put on about one-third less ppvs to make the cards less watered down. If they did that there would be less fights but they could do a small FX card every couple of weeks and probably get killer ratings and more star power out of some of the lesser named fighters which would help ppvs.

#6194 Magiblaze   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   468 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Magiblaze

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:39 AM

I wouldn't doubt it. Remember he got all serious about fighting Tito Ortiz? LOL.

Sad part was Tito was the one that actually backed out of it rather then Dana lol.He had sparred with Tito doing boxing before and use to be a boxing instructor/boxing aerobics.Don't know who got the better in their sparring sessions but I tend to think Tito was afraid of looking bad.

I think the best thing about the cancellation is the one marquee matchup gets to go on the next card, which I thought was thin too but now at least has one more great matchup. I wish the UFC would put on about one-third less ppvs to make the cards less watered down. If they did that there would be less fights but they could do a small FX card every couple of weeks and probably get killer ratings and more star power out of some of the lesser named fighters which would help ppvs.

It is one good thing about, more bouts being spread out now thanks to it.I actually like it better when the UFC had their deal with Spike rather then Fox.The days before the fighting robots and annoying superbowl music.With SpikeTV they could just change programing quick and isn't really a problem replacing reruns of 1000 ways to die with a fight night.In the long run the fox deal does seem better though with more chances to create more stars and giving more fighters chances to get in the UFC with needing to provide cards for Fox/FX/Fuel.

#6195 Chase   imo CAGiversary!   7655 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:38 AM

Heads-up: Dana White made an inquiry on the UG asking if anyone had any interest in Brock Lesnar versus Fedor Emelianenko.

Like his moronic attempt to bury Jon Jones, who is the face of today's UFC, I think we all remember Dana White burying Fedor's legacy over the last many years. What a dickhead. The Fertittas obviously keep Dana for a reason. He's their attack dog. He perhaps says things secretly on behalf of the Fertittas and absorbs the heat. They surely don't keep him because he's a people person. Jeffrey Dahmer was more of a people person than Dana White.

#6196 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16968 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:56 AM

Like his moronic attempt to bury Jon Jones, who is the face of today's UFC, I think we all remember Dana White burying Fedor's legacy over the last many years. What a dickhead. The Fertittas obviously keep Dana for a reason. He's their attack dog. He perhaps says things secretly on behalf of the Fertittas and absorbs the heat. They surely don't keep him because he's a people person. Jeffrey Dahmer was more of a people person than Dana White.

Come on. You can't possibly believe that. Dana and the UFC did everything except hand the company over to Fedor's managers. M1 Global was the one burying Fedor. They bled him dry and completely wasted his prime years, when he could have become a household name and a lifelong brand. All they could see was short term. Had Fedor come to the UFC in the early 2000's, he'd have made so much money, be firmly cemented in the Hall of Fame, and be celebrated more than even a guy like Randy Couture. It was a missed opportunity, but Fedor has no one to blame but himself.

#6197 Chase   imo CAGiversary!   7655 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:00 AM

Come on. You can't possibly believe that. Dana and the UFC did everything except hand the company over to Fedor's managers. M1 Global was the one burying Fedor. They bled him dry and completely wasted his prime years, when he could have become a household name and a lifelong brand. All they could see was short term. Had Fedor come to the UFC in the late 90's, he'd have made so much money, be firmly cemented in the Hall of Fame, and be celebrated more than even a guy like Randy Couture. It was a missed opportunity, but Fedor has no one to blame but himself.

M1 definitely deserves blame. Perhaps even Fedor deserves a part of the blame pie for sticking with them. But, Dana should have let it go. Hearing him bury Fedor over the last many years has been disgusting. I'm in the "Yeah, Dana, we go it. We all had at least some desire to see Fedor fight Brock in 2009, but the deal fell through. Oh well. Next." crowd.

#6198 Ced   Monster Hustler CAGiversary!   1244 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

Heads-up: Dana White made an inquiry on the UG asking if anyone had any interest in Brock Lesnar versus Fedor Emelianenko.

Two guys that simply lack the fire they once had. Dana knows the rubes would still shell out the money for it. However, you just know it's going to be less than spectacular once one if them stops giving a Fuck and that might even be before the opening bell.

#6199 Magiblaze   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   468 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Magiblaze

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

Even in 2012 I think Lesnar vs. Fedor could do near 1 million buys.I'd still be interested in it even if you have to know neither guy would be making a comeback to the top.Tim Syliva vs. Arlovski this weekend.I'm going with Tim I think if he shows up at 265.Anyone have any thoughts on the fight regardless how irrelevant these two former champs have become?

#6200 urmomlikesme   Random Fart Noise CAGiversary!   1185 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

urmomlikesme

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:44 AM

Jon "Baby" Jones asks Dana White to stop Chael's shit talking. :rofl:

Wow. What a pussy. And yes I'd say it to his face.

#6201 Chase   imo CAGiversary!   7655 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:33 AM

Two guys that simply lack the fire they once had. Dana knows the rubes would still shell out the money for it. However, you just know it's going to be less than spectacular once one if them stops giving a Fuck and that might even be before the opening bell.

I would have put money on Lesnar before his fight with diverticulitis. Lesnar is a tough dude—and that disease put the boots to his MMA career. Absolutely unfortunate. Imagine if he had time to improve his standing strikes game. He could have been a beast. Today, I still lean towards Lesnar, simply because his wrestling, size, and strength advantage beats Emelianenko's striking and sambo game. However, Fedor is likely to hurt him in three rounds, and definitely hurts him in five. The question is whether Fedor can escape Lesnar's wrestling and evade his power. In that regard, the odds go in Fedor's favor. The fight is a toss-up—but Lesnar stops caring before Fedor.

Even in 2012 I think Lesnar vs. Fedor could do near 1 million buys.I'd still be interested in it even if you have to know neither guy would be making a comeback to the top.Tim Syliva vs. Arlovski this weekend.I'm going with Tim I think if he shows up at 265.Anyone have any thoughts on the fight regardless how irrelevant these two former champs have become?

Sylvia-Arlovski is a freak show fight. For shitty as Sylvia looks, Arlovski's chin is gone. Now, Sylvia's chin is only marginally better, but, at heavyweight, you have to favor the guy with the stronger chin and strength advantage. I agree that everything depends on how Sylvia looks at the weigh-ins.

#6202 Maklershed   Feed me a stray cat CAGiversary!   34088 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:22 AM

Apparently the reason for Torres being cut again is because he made another rape joke tweet.

#6203 Magiblaze   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   468 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Magiblaze

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:52 AM

I don't quite see the whole deal for such a severe punishment for a rape joke although I do get why PR wise although this is the 2nd time for Torres so really makes him look like an idiot when going on twitter and doing it again.

I just wished they had the Torres vs. Faber superfight before he was cut again.I favor Faber all the way in the fight but still it was one of those fights I would've liked to seen before they both retire from having both as champs back in the day in WEC and looking like they'll be at the top for a long time even if it didn't end up as long as everyone thought.

#6204 bigpimpin24   Killamanjaro! CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

bigpimpin24

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

Aldo vs Edgar set to headline UFC 153

Frankie Edgar’s decision to drop to featherweight has not gone unrewarded, as Edgar will get a long-rumored title shot in his first outing at 145 pounds.

That title shot will come sooner than expected, as Edgar is stepping in to face champion Jose Aldo at UFC 153 in October. Aldo was scheduled to meet KO artist Erik Koch, who has been forced to withdraw from the event due to injury.

"I'm pumped," UFC president Dana White told USA Today. "I think that people are going to be very excited for this fight." (Click for full interview)

"This main event is now not only a world title fight but also a super-fight that has long been a dream match for many fans," said White. "Aldo and Edgar are two fantastic fighters who are always a part of the pound-for-pound debate."

http://www.ufc.com/n...ht-card-updates

#6205 Chase   imo CAGiversary!   7655 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

Indeed. I have a big interest in the line for that fight. Sorta thinking another bad decision for Edgar. Depends on where this fight is held. If they set it in Brazil, no freakin' way I'm touching the line (for Edgar) unless I hear things.

ONE FC is beginning as I type this. Starting my vacation a day early. Watching some of the card for reasons.

#6206 technicalstylez   Colors User CAGiversary!   3553 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

technicalstylez

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

ufc 153 is in rio- hsbc arena. sorry frankie.
oh, cote vs sakara got announced, should be fun.

#6207 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16968 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

Ugh...One FC has the dumbest rules I've ever seen. Phil Baroni wins by soccer kicks and Andrei Arlovski gets punished for soccer kicks on the same card... Somebody please tell me when in the hell it is "safe" to kick somebody in the head. How exactly is that determined?

#6208 Magiblaze   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   468 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Magiblaze

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

Its really stupid but apparently its only allowed when the referee says its ok to, so you have to pretty much look at the guy and he'll say yes or no.Was talking about it the other day with someone.Really seems more like a fatality from Mortal Kombat with the referee shouting "Finish him!" .

When it comes to the point where you have to wait for the ref to give the call, almost seems like the fight should already be over in some cases.The one where Huerta got koed was pretty brutal.

#6209 Ced   Monster Hustler CAGiversary!   1244 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

Leaving the legality of something like where and when soccer kicks are legal to a referee's discretion is just asking for trouble.

#6210 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16968 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:35 AM

Its really stupid but apparently its only allowed when the referee says its ok to, so you have to pretty much look at the guy and he'll say yes or no.Was talking about it the other day with someone.Really seems more like a fatality from Mortal Kombat with the referee shouting "Finish him!" .

When it comes to the point where you have to wait for the ref to give the call, almost seems like the fight should already be over in some cases.The one where Huerta got koed was pretty brutal.

Yup, completely agree. My dad and I were joking about it, like "Wait...wait...not yet...OK, OK, NOW!!! KICK HIM IN THE FACE!!!" How anyone could have ever thought that this was a reasonable compromise between just allowing or disallowing soccer kicks, I'll ever know. If this is the solution, just fucking ban soccer kicks and be done with it.

Basically, what I got out of it was Arlovski won the fight...which ironically would even up their series 2-2...thus justifying a 5th meeting anyway, haha. Hard to believe.