Differences in used and new prices?

Tromack

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
So with this PoP price drop, I thought, "Hey, if it is 20 new, then it is probably at least 17 used, and with an extra 25% off, that'd be awesome." So I went to Ebgames and lo and behold it is about 25-30 used. I have noticed this on numerous games there, too. Why do they have used games selling for more than new games?

I don't know if this has been addressed somewhere else? If it has then direct me there and kill this.

Few reasons...

A. When its a sale, they don't change the used price to reflect the sale price on the new product.

B. They may just have not gotten the used product updated.

C. They paid (in credit or cash) X amount of dollars for the used game they have in stock. They may want to leave it at a normal markup for a while to try and obtain a profit on the game.

[quote name='Tromack']I understand the first two, but C makes no sense.[/quote]

Okaaay.... lets try business 101. The company spent X amount of money on purchasing a used game from a retail consumer. Let's say EB bought PoP for $20 credit off of Joe Schmoe. Now they wanted to sell that game to Bob Smith for $45.. thereby making $25 gross profit. (gross being straight profit not including any overhead costs, etc)

Now the new game goes to $20, EB should sell that game to Bob Smith for $15-$17.. thereby losing $3 on the deal. They may decide its better to leave the price on said product at its higher price level ($35 or whatever it was) it an attempt to sell the game at a profit.

Now if I didn't explain it, let me know exactly what part of that you didn't understand. :)

edit - I added a smiley face so it doesn't hurt someone feelings.

I had almost the same post as above, but was too slow on the draw.

Mine was a little less harsh, to boot.

Ok, Mr. Jackass. I understand that they want to make as much money as possible. Had you actually taken an intro accounting class, you would know that a business has to value inventory at the lesser of cost or market. So even if they had bought the used game from Joe for 25, it would no longer be valued at 25 in their inventory if the game could be bought at market price of 20.

Of course, they will only be able to sell the used game at the higher price if either

a) the person buying the game is not aware of the lower price for the new game, or

b) the new game becomes unavailable, leaving the used one as the only option for obtaining said game.

Both a and b happen on a more regular basis than one might think.

there's normally a short time buffer between reg. price drop and the used price drop. even on consoles. also, if the store had no new copies, n one would more the wiser, and they might still but that $35 used copy.

[quote name='Tromack']Ok, Mr. Jackass. I understand that they want to make as much money as possible. Had you actually taken an intro accounting class, you would know that a business has to value inventory at the lesser of cost or market. So even if they had bought the used game from Joe for 25, it would no longer be valued at 25 in their inventory if the game could be bought at market price of 20.[/quote]
Yes, Jackass, but EB want to still make money. Maybe someone who only buys used games to... save money... goes and sees POP for $25, he thinks it is a decent price so he could buy it never knowing the retail and just assuming it costs more new.

[quote name='Tromack']Ok, Mr. Jackass. I understand that they want to make as much money as possible. Had you actually taken an intro accounting class, you would know that a business has to value inventory at the lesser of cost or market. So even if they had bought the used game from Joe for 25, it would no longer be valued at 25 in their inventory if the game could be bought at market price of 20.[/quote]

$20 is not the market price though, at least as I understand it. It's just the sale price EB has on it. You might see it go in and out of stock a lot, a la Counterstrike and Wario World.

If they paid $20 or thereabouts for used copies I don't think it's unreasonable for them to charge $25 for said copies, unless they get into a BB/CC mood and throw them to the wolves.

[quote name='PsyClerk'][quote name='Tromack']Ok, Mr. Jackass. I understand that they want to make as much money as possible. Had you actually taken an intro accounting class, you would know that a business has to value inventory at the lesser of cost or market. So even if they had bought the used game from Joe for 25, it would no longer be valued at 25 in their inventory if the game could be bought at market price of 20.[/quote]

$20 is not the market price though, at least as I understand it. It's just the sale price EB has on it. You might see it go in and out of stock a lot, a la Counterstrike and Wario World.

If they paid $20 or thereabouts for used copies I don't think it's unreasonable for them to charge $25 for said copies, unless they get into a BB/CC mood and throw them to the wolves.[/quote]

Actually it is the market price, unless all stores are now colluding on their sales. Given that BB, CC, TRU all have it at this price too.

Unless there's a universal price drop on PoP I missed, I'd say $40-$50 is the market price for a new copy.

edit: whaddya know, there was a price drop.

Because EB is trying to screw unsuspecting customers. There's no ulterior motive; no need to debate economical reasoning. If some douchewill pay that much more for the Used copy, then they'll keep it like that. Same with Gamestop and any other lameass game retailer. If everyone was wise, they'd just go to Target :(

[quote name='Tom'][quote name='Tromack']Ok, Mr. Jackass. I understand that they want to make as much money as possible. Had you actually taken an intro accounting class, you would know that a business has to value inventory at the lesser of cost or market. So even if they had bought the used game from Joe for 25, it would no longer be valued at 25 in their inventory if the game could be bought at market price of 20.[/quote]
Yes, Jackass, but EB want to still make money. Maybe someone who only buys used games to... save money... goes and sees POP for $25, he thinks it is a decent price so he could buy it never knowing the retail and just assuming it costs more new.[/quote]

That works for an instore case only though. Why on their website would anyone choose a used game that costs 10 more than the new?

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='Tom'][quote name='Tromack']Ok, Mr. Jackass. I understand that they want to make as much money as possible. Had you actually taken an intro accounting class, you would know that a business has to value inventory at the lesser of cost or market. So even if they had bought the used game from Joe for 25, it would no longer be valued at 25 in their inventory if the game could be bought at market price of 20.[/quote]
Yes, Jackass, but EB want to still make money. Maybe someone who only buys used games to... save money... goes and sees POP for $25, he thinks it is a decent price so he could buy it never knowing the retail and just assuming it costs more new.[/quote]

That works for an instore case only though. Why on their website would anyone choose a used game that costs 10 more than the new?[/quote]

They have a central pricing system now, if they want to sell it for $25 in store, then they'll be selling it for $25 online also.

[quote name='guessed']Of course, they will only be able to sell the used game at the higher price if either

a) the person buying the game is not aware of the lower price for the new game, or

b) the new game becomes unavailable, leaving the used one as the only option for obtaining said game.

Both a and b happen on a more regular basis than one might think.[/quote]

You are the only person to make unanimously good points. I agree that these are probably the only reasons. That and the delay between the two changing, but I have seen this numerous times. I doubt that on every game I have seen it happen to has just had the price dropped though.

I was at my local EB and saw Castlevania Chronicles for $35 used. That sucks, I really want the game but I'm not gonna spend $35 for a used one.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Cornfed is so "to the point" he comes off as an asshole....I shaq-fuing love it.

PS: Thats a compliment, cornfed.[/quote]

No, he's an asshole because he's condescending and assumes that I don't have a basic knowledge of things. I'd say something about how I'm smarter than him and how I have the grades, SAT's, AP scores, IQ score, and higher education to back it up, but then I would seem like some stupid 15 year old even though it would all be true.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='Tromack'][quote name='Tom'][quote name='Tromack']Ok, Mr. Jackass. I understand that they want to make as much money as possible. Had you actually taken an intro accounting class, you would know that a business has to value inventory at the lesser of cost or market. So even if they had bought the used game from Joe for 25, it would no longer be valued at 25 in their inventory if the game could be bought at market price of 20.[/quote]

That works for an instore case only though. Why on their website would anyone choose a used game that costs 10 more than the new?[/quote]

They have a central pricing system now, if they want to sell it for $25 in store, then they'll be selling it for $25 online also.[/quote]

Ok, that makes sense.

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='Mookyjooky']Cornfed is so "to the point" he comes off as an asshole....I shaq-fuing love it.

PS: Thats a compliment, cornfed.[/quote]

No, he's an asshole because he's condescending and assumes that I don't have a basic knowledge of things. I'd say something about how I'm smarter than him and how I have the grades, SAT's, AP scores, IQ score, and higher education to back it up, but then I would seem like some stupid 15 year old even though it would all be true.[/quote]

Listen kid.. you have no idea what my grades, SAT, AP or IQ score is.. so how in god's name are you going to declare your's to be higher? Grow up, I explained something to you, say thank you and walk away.

Ok, so I might not be smarter than you. But that doesn't need that you need to assume you are smarter than me and talk down to me. And given that your first explanation made very little sense and was very assholeish, there will be no thanks given.

[quote name='Tromack']
No, he's an asshole because he's condescending and assumes that I don't have a basic knowledge of things. [/quote]

when you start out by telling someone that one of their points isn't making sense, you're not likely to get a cheery response(especially when it does make sense). also, your statement does show a lack of basic knowledge. And we can refer to business 101 or whatever, it comes down to basic human nature. I heard that some Kmarts have nintendo 64 games for full price, TRU still has SW:clone wars for $49.99 and so on and so on

Option C may exist, but its somehwat far-fetched and if that's the techniques they teach in Business 101 I don't want to be going to that business school. They won't sell many used games for $5-10 more than the new copies. Also, this isn't a sale it's a universal price drop that has started at multiple retailers so the point of a it being an EB sale is useless.

I have to be honest. I never buy used. It seems that EbGames and Gamespot (generally) have their used games discounted by 2 bucks.

Thats not compelling enough for me to buy a used copy.

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='Tromack'][quote name='Tom'][quote name='Tromack']Ok, Mr. Jackass. I understand that they want to make as much money as possible. Had you actually taken an intro accounting class, you would know that a business has to value inventory at the lesser of cost or market. So even if they had bought the used game from Joe for 25, it would no longer be valued at 25 in their inventory if the game could be bought at market price of 20.[/quote]

They have a central pricing system now, if they want to sell it for $25 in store, then they'll be selling it for $25 online also.[/quote]

Ok, that makes sense.[/quote]
Yes
PS Forgot to put that calling you a jackass was just a joke :oops: . Just so you know, and knowing's half the battle.

bread's done
Back