Rey Mysterio's wrestling topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say hello to the WWE World Champion

reyworldtitle.jpg

At the diminuitive height of 5'3 Rey Mysterio is one of the last people you would think could make it as a WWE Champion. But, heart, determination, and a vast arsenal of high-flying and unique pin-fall manuevers have launced Rey Mysterio to the top.

He was born Oscar Gutierrez Rubio, on December 12, 1974 in San Diego, California.

Young Oscar was trained by Rey Misterio Sr, and soon took on the name Rey Mysterio Jr. At the age of 14 he made his in-ring debut.

Rey wrestled througout Mexico and Japan during the early 90s. He wrestled under the names Calibri and Super Nino for awhile, before settling back on Rey Mysterio Jr. He found much success winning various lightweight class titles, and tag titles.

Rey was ready for the big time and WCW gave him a contract to be in their very successful cruiserweight division.

Mysterio entered a feud with technical wizard, Dean Malenko upon his arrival in the WCW. Within a month of his debut at Bash at the Beach 96, Mysterio defeated Malenko for the WCW cruiserweight title.

reymysterio20rs.jpg

Rey would successfully defend his title against some of the top cruiserweights in the world, befor edropping the belt back to Dean Malenko at Halloween Havoc.

At Starrcade 96, Mysterio wrestled a classic match with non other than Jushin Thunder Liger.

Between Halloween Havoc 96 and 97, Mysterio wresteld just about every cruiserweight on the WCW roster. Alas, he was unable to win the cruiserweight title back. Then at Halloween Havoc 97 in a mask vs title match, Mysterio defeated Eddie Guerrero in what some regard as the greatest cruiserweight match in WCW history.

Around that time the WCW cruiserweight title picture started going to hell, and Rey would drop the title back to Guerrero in November, only to pick it back up in January, drop it the next week to Chris Jericho due to a leg injury, then upon his return win it back from Jericho at Bash at the Beach, only to drop it Jericho the next night on Nitro. The famous "Ron Mysterio Jr" feud.

February 21, 1999: SuperBrawl, Rey and Konnan were defeated by The Outsiders, as a result, Rey was stripped of his mask.

WCW then decided to start pushing the maskless Mysterio as some sort of "giant killer" having him score pinfalls over Kevin Nash, Scott Norton and The Giant. Then they gave him the cruiserweight title back.

Mysterio got so built up that he was given a title shot against World Champion Ric Flair, but was unsuccessful.

Rey dropped the cruiserweight title shortly after and then won the WCW tag titles with Billy Kidman, by late April Rey won the cruiserweight title back as well.

The rest of Mysterio's time in WCW pretty much repeated this process. There was the Filthy Animals faction with Konnan, Kidman, Juvi, and Disco but the pattern of winning the tag titles, cruiserweight tag titles and cruiserweight titles only to drop them shortly after and then win them again continued. Ultimately Rey Mysterio Jr with Billy Kidman were the last Cruiserweight tag team champions.

WCW was then bought out in 2001, and Rey Mysterio took some time out of the spotlight before appearing in the WWE in July of 2002.

It wouldn't take long for Rey to find success in the WWE, he was paired with Edge and won the tag titles over Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle in November of 2002, but dropped them 10 days later at the Survivor Series to Los Guerreros.

Rey returned to the singles division attempting to win the WWE cruiserweight title. Finally on June 5, 2003, Rey defeated Matt Hardy to claim the belt.

Next Mysterio began a feud with Tajiri. Tajiri took the title from Rey in September, but Mysterio won it back on New Year's day 2004. Rey would drop the belt shortly after to Chavo Guerrero Jr, as the WWE Cruiserweight division title picture began to take on a look very close to the one WCW had in the late 90s.

Rey won the Cruiserweight Title back in June, defeating Chavo's father, Chavo Guerrero Sr. Alas, Rey dropped the belt to Spike Dudley 2 months later, and has never won the belt since!

Rey then began wrestling in a variety of tag teams, all of which found success.

First, Rey paired with Rob Van Dam, the two won the belts from Suzuki and Dupree in December of 2004, but dropped them on January 13, 2005 to the Bashams.

Next, Rey paired with long time off screen friend, on screen rival, Eddie Guerrero. They would defeat The Bashams for the tag titles in February of 2005.

017ot.jpg

Then at Wrestlemania XXI, Rey Mysterio defeated Eddie Guerrero in a match that was in the spirit of competition. The split between the two had begun though. The next month a Eddie and Rey dropped the titles to MNM, launching one of the more sadistic feuds in recent WWE history.

Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero battled each other back and forth for the better part of 2005. They had matches at Judgment Day, The Great American Bash, Summerslam and numerous matches on Smackdown, all of which Rey won. During the feud Rey's real life son Dominick was used as a pawn by Eddie Guerrero to torment Mysterio. Eddie finally beat Rey in a cage match on Smackdown in early September.

Mysterio then battled much of the mid-card Smackdown roster, while Eddie began a program with Batista.

On November 11, 2005, Rey defeated Randy Orton by DQ to qualify for the SD Survivor Series team.

November 13, 2005 - Eddie Guerrero passes away.

An emotional Rey Mysterio wrestled Shawn Michaels later that night as part of the Eddie Guerrero tribute. Rey won in a match of the year candidate.

Rey then began teaming with Batista, and the two won the tag titles from MNM on December 16, 2005, but dropped them back to MNM January 6, 2006 in a cage match, because of Batista's injuries.

Mysterio dedicated the 2006 Royal Rumble to Eddie Guerrero, entering the match as one of the first two participants, and winning the match by eliminated RVD, HHH and Randy Orton at the end.

After that Randy Orton and Mysterio began a tasteless feud that allowed Orton a shot at the title at Wrestlemania.

Wrestlemania XXII: Rey Mysterio vs Randy Orton vs World Heavyweight Champion Kurt Angle. Rey counters an Angle Slam, delivers a 619 to Randy Orton, and scores the pin with a springboard-rana. Rey Mysterio is your new WWE World Champion!

Say hello to a transitional champion!

Either Orton will take it from him, or Batista will when he comes back.

The only reason why I'm not too thrilled about Rey being champion is because Angle lost. I wish Angle would get a long title run.

So how long do you think Rey will hold on to the title?

[quote name='ace25one']I wish Angle would get a long title run. [/QUOTE]

I would quit watching wrestling.

I don't understand why he (Angle) was given the title in the first place. He was a wrestler then GM then back to wrestler. There a lot of other people that deserved that title when Batista had to go. I'm not the happiest with Rey as the champ either but he will drop it within two months IMO.

[quote name='Graystone']I would quit watching wrestling.

I don't understand why he (Angle) was given the title in the first place[/quote]

:shock:

Scorch, Myke, Gen, Guile... Guyver? Any of you want to field this one, I'm at a loss for words.

I'll take this one...HAVE YOU EVER SEEN KURT ANGLE WRESTLE!!! Kurt Angle is quite possibly, no wait...IS the best WRESTLER period in WWE today. I mean he won a gold medal with a broken freaking neck...

And for something controversial, but true: OK, everyone mourns the loss of Eddie Guerrero, but in a way, hasn't the death of Guerrero turned into a blessing CAREER WISE for Rey...I mean I love Rey, have since ECW...but it really seems the only reason he is getting this MONSTER PUSH is because of Eddie's death. But here's what I find interesting, Chris Benoit is just as close to Eddie, yet he loses his title? What gives WWE...what gives?

[quote name='rvdrock']And for something controversial, but true: OK, everyone mourns the loss of Eddie Guerrero, but in a way, hasn't the death of Guerrero turned into a blessing CAREER WISE for Rey...I mean I love Rey, have since ECW...but it really seems the only reason he is getting this MONSTER PUSH is because of Eddie's death. But here's what I find interesting, Chris Benoit is just as close to Eddie, yet he loses his title? What gives WWE...what gives?[/quote]

Rey was already getting a big push since WM 21 as he dominated Eddie in their feud. Although, I really doubt (like most) that he would've won the Rumble, alet alone the title match at WM 22 had it not been for Eddie's passing.

I still don't like the fact that the triple threat match didn't even get 10 fucking minutes, while Trips and Cena got over 22 minutes. Vince needs to clear Cena's semen out of his ears and realize the fans haven't been cheering Cena for a long time, in fact the boos have become almost overwhelming.

I also think that Rey vs Orton vs Angle should have been the main event. Especially with Triple H losing. Why is McMahon so damn obsessed with Cena?

As for Benoit, well we can only hope that "WWE gives" Benoit a push back into the title mix. Benoit vs Rey would be an interesting match. I'm kind of disappointed that the person closest of all to Eddie, Chavo, didn't even have a match at Mania. Why put Finlay in the MITB match instead of Chavo? WWE logic for you.

I'm gonna say this one more time and then i'm going to be done with it, because it's still bugging me.

Rey Jr. deserves a belt, but not the world heavyweight title. Eddie's death pushed him forward. For him to win it when Angle's sacrificing EVERYTHING is just.. ugh. I doubt Rey will hold it past the next PPV, and I hope he loses it to Angle and quickly. Angle's the only one that deserves the world title right now.

And the main thing that's been bugging me.. since when can wrestlers go beyond their weightclass and win another title? I mean, genders, sure (Harvey Whippleman winning the world title and Chyna winning the IC strap comes to mind), but since when can a lightheavyweight come for the world heavyweight? If that's the case, hell, sign up Batista for the light heavyweight title.

Someone explain this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000BH2WF8/ref=dp_olp_2/002-5552068-5580060?%5Fencoding=UTF8

The set isn't available on DDD.com anymore either, but you can still order them in sets of 5. Methinks I should've probably jumped on this back in November. Assuming that you can no longer get the set as a unit.

To those of you who own the full set 1-20, did it come in 4 separate packages or all as one?

Knowing Vince and WWE marketing they'll probably be something nutso in a few years for WM 30, course DVDs themselves could be obsolete by then, let's just cut that line of thinking right now though, shall we?

Triple H and Shawn both doing a DX chop.. interestingly enough, at the press conference, you could see them breaking character - or so we thought - and talking to each other.

That would be awesome if DX came back.

Thanks for that video, Guyver. It was great seeing DiBiase. Rhodes is packing on the pounds..

[quote name='ace25one']The only reason why I'm not too thrilled about Rey being champion is because Angle lost. I wish Angle would get a long title run.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Kurt Angle hasn't had a title run longer than several months at best... sorta like Raven in TNA... what was that run again... three months? Pathetic. Yet both companies know that these two draw so they don't need a title to get over... even if the latter has been in a real shitty Wrestlecrap worthy angle as of lately with Larry Zybisco.

And with the talk of Raven vs Larry hair vs hair at Lockdown.... sorry, that makes me want to YAWN. If it were... say... Raven vs Jeff Jarrett hair vs hair however..... I smell buyrates mmmmmk. Because I'd love to see Jeff Jarrett scalped bald.

[quote name='rvdrock']And for something controversial, but true: OK, everyone mourns the loss of Eddie Guerrero, but in a way, hasn't the death of Guerrero turned into a blessing CAREER WISE for Rey...I mean I love Rey, have since ECW...but it really seems the only reason he is getting this MONSTER PUSH is because of Eddie's death. But here's what I find interesting, Chris Benoit is just as close to Eddie, yet he loses his title? What gives WWE...what gives?[/QUOTE]

It's not a controversial thing to say when you're the twentieth person to say so.

Y'know, it bothers me that this "little guys shouldn't hold the title" stereotype that perpetuates the kinds of dumbass moves the WWE does. They think "oh, fans won't buy this midget as champ! Let's hire Test! And Henry Godwin! We also won't ever show cruiserweights on TV, and when we do, it will be the same goddamn match anyone else could have." This isn't related to what you said as much as what Scorch said he said several times already. I know that you *could* have a world where cruiserweights are prominently featured, but not winning heavyweight title matches. At the same time, saying things like this reinforce the "smart mark" image the WWE has of us as insufferable, unpleasable bitches. We're not happy when cruiserweights get squashed in matches by big guys, and we're not happy when they beat the big guys; so what is it, pray tell, that we actually want?

There is the case to be made that Mysterio isn't even a cruiserweight anymore. When was the last prominent CW match or feud he had?

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Rey was already getting a big push since WM 21 as he dominated Eddie in their feud.[/quote]

That right there is why Rey winning is credible.

All I'll say about Cena being shoved down our throats is that it isn't even close to HHH being force fed to us. So what if he isn't hip-hop in real life? Owen Hart was in the Nation of Domination for crying out loud. :lol: It's a character.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It's a character.[/QUOTE]

And one he doesn't play well. It's not *what* he plays (as I said, he'll play anything they tell him to), but *how* he does it. I don't think he's even moderately convincing.

Was Owen? Probably not, but Owen was a periphery character of the NoD; the focus of that group involved Farooq and The Rock, for the most part.

It's also a bad example because Owen was never shoved down our throats as the champ the way Cena has.

One element that isn't Cena's fault is that the typically stale taste of WWE programming became extremely fresh for three weeks in January, once Edge won the title; the inexplicable reasoning behind getting the belt off of him, and his noninvolvement in the main event, just makes Cena having it even shittier.

How ironic that most people seem to think that Cena got the belt back b/c HHH was going to take the title back at WrestleMania, and a HHH/Edge match would be heel/heel, and thus wouldn't sell. It's ironic because (1) HHH/Cena was damn close to heel/heel, and (2) the fact that we can all agree that the plan up until Saturday was for HHH to get the title back, given the Backlash promo as well as the numerous rumors about match finishes changing at the last minute.

Benoit vs JBL - I hated seeing Beniot droping the title. A decent match but not mania material

Booker T vs Boogeyman - fucking terrible. Boogyman is one of the worst wrestlers i've ever seen. Booker's thing before the match was really funny. I loved seeing Debiase doing the basketball thing.

Kane & Show vs. Carlito & Masters - I would have much rathered see Carlito & Masters win the straps opposed to setting up a fued between the two. Kane and Big Show are an awful tag team.

Trish vs. Mickie James - One of the best matches of the night. Too bad the last 30 seconds got fubared. Loved seeing Mickie get the strap though.

Undertaker vs. Mark Henry - Another terrible match. I think i fell asleep during the match.

Edge vs. Mick Foley - I think this match needed to be longer but i guess thats due to maybe Foley cant go as long as he used to. A very good match though but wtf was with edge? He looked like he suffered 3 strokes towards the end of the match. I couldnt help but laugh.

HBK vs. Vince - AMAZING! I was marking out to HBK hard. Plus i like seeing Vinny Mac getting owned. I hope Michaels turns heel.

Money in the Bank - Flair took some excellent high spot bumps which was surprising. I still cant figure out why Finley was in the match, the guy had zero offense. I would have liked to see more high spots though and it seemed like everyones timing was off during the match. Too many times someone was standing towards the top of the ladder half assing trying to get the brief case while waiting for someone to move in for a spot.

HHH vs. Cena - I didnt get the costumes for the entrances. i did like the introductions once they were in the ring though. For once i was actually cheering for HHH. Once again i marked out to the crotch chops.

Angle vs. Orton vs. Mysterio - I think Mysterio is incredibily talented but i ahve a hard time swallowing him being in the same realm as Angle. Angle should have kept the strap because hes one of the few good things in wrestling right now. It was a good match though. me and my friends had a bet on how many finishers would be nailed in the match... i think it was 13.

RVD winning the MITB match makes me very, very, very happy. Most. Deserving. Wrestler. EVER. God, I REALLY hope they pull their head out of their ass and let RVD have a long title-run sometime soon.

I'll start off with this: Rey is more deserving of the title than pretty much anybody else on the SD roster. With that out of the way; the thing about Rey winning the title is that it's either going to be an amazing run, or a shitty, forgettable one. Rey is one of few bright spots in a crappy roster, but unfortunately he's somewhat held back by management (they don't like high-flying risk-takers, remember?) and the people he wrestles (basically, anyone who isn't as talented as someone like Angle). If they let him do what he does best, and they give him a nice, LONG feud with Angle and/or some other talented guys, we could get some amazing matches.

So, in summary; if RVD and Rey get long titles runs over the next year or so, and they get to do what everyone knows they can do, we could be looking at a couple of the best runs in recent WWE history. Shit, imagine if they decide to make a unified title belt, and RVD and Rey have a ladder match for it.

Kane and Big Show need to be feuding over the title. HHH is played out, Edge needs an image overhaul, and Cena needs to be retooled.

[quote name='evanft']I'll start off with this: Rey is more deserving of the title than pretty much anybody else on the SD roster. With that out of the way; the thing about Rey winning the title is that it's either going to be an amazing run, or a shitty, forgettable one. Rey is one of few bright spots in a crappy roster, but unfortunately he's somewhat held back by management (they don't like high-flying risk-takers, remember?) and the people he wrestles (basically, anyone who isn't as talented as someone like Angle). If they let him do what he does best, and they give him a nice, LONG feud with Angle and/or some other talented guys, we could get some amazing matches.

So, in summary; if RVD and Rey get long titles runs over the next year or so, and they get to do what everyone knows they can do, we could be looking at a couple of the best runs in recent WWE history. Shit, imagine if they decide to make a unified title belt, and RVD and Rey have a ladder match for it.[/quote]

I like all of that. Rey winning is getting people interested in what is going to happen whether they agree with him having the title or not. I predict a Rey/Batista feud down the road with one of them going heel as it would fit with where the story left off when Batista got hurt.

[quote name='Graystone']I would quit watching wrestling.

I don't understand why he (Angle) was given the title in the first place. He was a wrestler then GM then back to wrestler. There a lot of other people that deserved that title when Batista had to go. I'm not the happiest with Rey as the champ either but he will drop it within two months IMO.[/QUOTE]

How could you say that? Let me break it down.

In a pure wrestling sense, angle is amazing. Have you honestly watched one of his matches? He can wrestle circles around anyone in the WWE. Angle is one of the guys who can make a crappy wrestler look great.

Mic skills. Again, angle is great at it. He is one of the few wrestlers who can make someone hate him and love him in a matter of seconds.

Angle can also play a good heel role, and a good face role. This is hugely benifitial to the company. They can stick him in any story line being the hero or the villian. I prefer him as a heel, but thats me.

Simply put, angle draws crowds. People respect him for his pure wrestling ability. In the end, it all comes down to money, and Angle is a huge draw for the company. I don't see how anyone could question his creditability as champion.

Who was the last person to win the world title without ever winning the US or IC title? Taker? No one else really comes to mind, Rey kind of leap frogged that.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Who was the last person to win the world title without ever winning the US or IC title? Taker? No one else really comes to mind, Rey kind of leap frogged that.[/quote]

The Big Show?

Even though he won the U.S. title afterwards.

[quote name='Superstar']How could you say that? Let me break it down.
In a pure wrestling sense, angle is amazing. Have you honestly watched one of his matches? He can wrestle circles around anyone in the WWE. Angle is one of the guys who can make a crappy wrestler look great.
Mic skills. Again, angle is great at it. He is one of the few wrestlers who can make someone hate him and love him in a matter of seconds.
Angle can also play a good heel role, and a good face role. This is hugely benifitial to the company. They can stick him in any story line being the hero or the villian. I prefer him as a heel, but thats me.
Simply put, angle draws crowds. People respect him for his pure wrestling ability. In the end, it all comes down to money, and Angle is a huge draw for the company. I don't see how anyone could question his creditability as champion.[/QUOTE]

I did like angle at one point but once he turned to a GM I stopped liking him. Maybe my hatred for his character is keeping me from seeing the truth. I think Benoit is the best wrestler the WWE has IMO.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Someone explain this:
The set isn't available on DDD.com anymore either, but you can still order them in sets of 5. Methinks I should've probably jumped on this back in November. Assuming that you can no longer get the set as a unit.
To those of you who own the full set 1-20, did it come in 4 separate packages or all as one? [/QUOTE]

According to a few people on DVDtalk.com the set has gone OOP.

Beniot is an excellent wrestler, defiently one of the best in the business but Beniot really lack charisma. I know wrestling ability and charisma seem like they dont go hand in hand but i think they do.

[quote name='onetrackmind']Beniot is an excellent wrestler, defiently one of the best in the business but Beniot really lack charisma. I know wrestling ability and charisma seem like they dont go hand in hand but i think they do.[/quote]

I kinda disagree. He's got enough charisma. He's not too flashy but its enough

[quote name='Scorch']And the main thing that's been bugging me.. since when can wrestlers go beyond their weightclass and win another title? I mean, genders, sure (Harvey Whippleman winning the world title and Chyna winning the IC strap comes to mind), but since when can a lightheavyweight come for the world heavyweight? If that's the case, hell, sign up Batista for the light heavyweight title.[/QUOTE]Well despite what the name implies, the World Heavyweight Championship doesn't have any weight conditions attached to it. The only belt that actually has a weight restriction is the cruiserweight. The Women's and Cruiserweight titles are the only "conditional" championships; anything else can be won by anybody.

Basically it's just called the "Heavyweight" Championship because there is no MAXIMUM weight.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Who was the last person to win the world title without ever winning the US or IC title? Taker? No one else really comes to mind, Rey kind of leap frogged that.[/quote]

Brock Lesnar
Batista
JBL (until recently)

And the heavyweight issue is moot. They have had cruiserweights in the Royal Rumble for years and the winner always gets a heavweight title shot. If they couldn't theoretically have a shot at the title then they wouldn't be allowed in the Rumble in the first place. It's just that this is the first time that a true cruiserweight has won it.

There seems to be a strong anti-Cena movement going on. I still like the guy but I admit, he reminds me a little too much of Vanilla Ice. I think he needs to change his direction. He definately needs to drop that 'street talk'.

Congrats to Pass the Shuga for winning this season's CAG fantasy league. Again the Horse finishes in 3rd, couple of bad weeks in there really sunk me, but as it turns out I could've potentially still won had I picked a near perfect team (top score this week was over 500).

Apparently it's Orton vs Mysterio for the title on SD this week... this could be really bad...

hmm.. Raw should be good tonight.

Kane and Bigshow are defending their titles against the spirt squad. I really hope the spirit squad doesn't somehow win. It would make the match at wrestlemania seem pointless.

From an entertainment value standpoint, Wrestlemania was a lot better than I expected it to be. I personally don't agree with a few of the match endings, including the SD main event (which, imo, was awful considering what could have been) but I'm willing to give WWE a chance to work with it. Just keep me entertained and I won't bitch.

[quote name='Genocidal']From an entertainment value standpoint, Wrestlemania was a lot better than I expected it to be. I personally don't agree with a few of the match endings, including the SD main event (which, imo, was awful considering what could have been) but I'm willing to give WWE a chance to work with it. Just keep me entertained and I won't bitch.[/quote]

My main gripe remains giving the match less than 10 minutes, while giving Cena and HHH more than double that. It's just not right.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']My main gripe remains giving the match less than 10 minutes, while giving Cena and HHH more than double that. It's just not right.[/quote]

That's HHH for you.

I might tune in to RAW just to see the fallout from Wrestlemania.

now that was a good move!! awesome

these kids have a tremendous future...

i 4 one am happy to see the show and kane tag team era come to an end! i hope they dont give them a rematch or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back