Japan Trade-In Food Chain: DS Lite Hot, Xbox 360 Not

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Given the popularity of the DS Lite in Japan (and it's sold out status), it isn't suprising that Japanese retailers are offering decent trade-in prices for those willing to part with their new-model DS. But, would you believe that the DS Lite's trade-in value has eclipsed its original MSRP and is more valuable than a used Xbox 360?

The Enterking chain of video/game stores is offering 18,000¥ ($153 US) for a used DS Lite, which is about $10 more than it's 16,800¥ MSRP.

Even more interesting is that an Xbox 360 console trade-in will only fetch 15,000¥ ($128), which matches the trade-in worth of a PSP Value Pack and a slim-line Silver PS2. The older model DS are still somewhat difficult to find in Japan and will score you 14,000¥ ($119) at Enterking.

As a person who visits quite a lot of used video game stores in the Tokyo area, I can't say that I am suprised. The Xbox 360 sections are always well stocked with used consoles and games. Even titles like Dead or Alive 4 and Ridge Racer 6, which were supposed to be big hits with Japanese gamers, are in ample supply can be picked up used at a bargain price (under $30, usually).

As much as I'd like to see the Xbox 360 succeed in Japan, I won't shed too many tears, just as long I can continue to score used 360 game deals like King Kong for $17 and Need for Speed for $25. Even the import 360 games aren't holding their value.

dsliteused.jpg
>

Interesting. Do you see any DS systems with American packaging being sold because they are still at a high demand?

Microsoft should fire their Market and public relationship for Japan and rehire employees who are well knowledgable about the culture and society.

So what is the MSRP over there for the xbox 360. I wouldn't mind getting a 360 for $150 though, it's tough enough forkin' out $400 for a premium package over here. Can't pass it up though, gotta play Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. But iff they're only fetching about $150 in tradde-in I'm assuming the MSRP must be around 250-300.

[quote name='fatbeer']Microsoft should fire their Market and public relationship for Japan and rehire employees who are well knowledgable about the culture and society.[/QUOTE]

They "relocated" him. :)

I never really saw the 360 as that good of a system. It seemed more like a 'slim PS2' version of the Xbox. Single player gaming doesn't seem to be it's focus, they want an online/multiplayer community for this thing.

Why does Microsoft even bother selling the 360 in Japan? It hardly seems worth it for them. They should have just focused on North America and Europe and said to hell with Japan, especially after the first Xbox did so poorly there.

[quote name='redline']Why does Microsoft even bother selling the 360 in Japan? It hardly seems worth it for them. They should have just focused on North America and Europe and said to hell with Japan, especially after the first Xbox did so poorly there.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. Or they could have at least made it completely region free so people like me and Cheapy who are in Japan with access to MOUNTAINS of 360's could have made some cash selling 'em on eBay last fall! ;)

[quote name='m_que01']So what is the MSRP over there for the xbox 360.[/quote]about $325 or so.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Seriously. Or they could have at least made it completely region free so people like me and Cheapy who are in Japan with access to MOUNTAINS of 360's could have made some cash selling 'em on eBay last fall! ;)[/quote] Ha... I LOL'd at that one. :bouncy:

They should remove all XBOX 360's from Japan. Next they should create some RPG's and other games that appeal to Japanese gamers. Build up a frenzy when they can't get the console and then re-release the system. Doubt that will happen though.

It doesn't help that most Japanese gamers don't like FPS games which is a big portion of the XBOX 360's lineup. I never owned an XBOX and paying for the online service doesn't really entice me either. I still see the XBOX and the XBOX 360 as ho-hum.

The shipping from Japan to the US would probably kill any chance of me wanting to import a 360...
...I wonder how much it would be. Or maybe I can go to eBay and find out!

Interesting. But I did notice from the pictures that while they are only paying 15,000¥ for the 360, they are charging 32,800¥ - a pretty hefty markup. However, looking at the DS, yeah they are paying 18,000¥ for a used model, they are only making a profit of 1800¥ on it (which is what ~$14?).

All this tells me is that the DS is in such demand, that they are willing to make almost no money on it just to get people into their store. The 360 on the other hand has your standard 100% markup on used goods (it must be Gamestop of Japan :lol:)

I'd love to say that Microsoft is not as ignorant as they seem with the XBOX 360 in Japan but sadly it's true. It might be indeed the worst Idea by Microsoft ever.

Yes EVER, Microsoft knew from the Jump that the xbox 360 would not be a huge success out in Japan...needless to say that I was telling all my friends...people on the way even in the subway out in NYC...that Microsoft needs to focus on where people will actually support the console. What good is a huge market when they will refuse to support your product? I never understood the stubborness...I bet Cheapy D can go to almost any store in Tokyo and he wont have any problem finding a used XBOX (Original X-BOX) no problem...cheap as hell...including a couple of games. It's the dumbest move by a major company I have ever seen...all those manufactured systems are eventually going to waste.

What Microsoft SHOULD have done was release the xbox 360 in extremely limited quantities AFTER HALO 3 and the Sequel to Ninja Gaiden is released. Instead Microsoft was worried about Sony gaining a lead after the PS3 came out...the PS3 will outgain whatever the xbox 360 sold in Japan for 1+ year in about 2 weeks...maybe less. Nintendo will follow suit and crush the XBOX 360 with the revolution not too long after.

Microsoft deserves a big F for this. I almost feel so dissapointed that I should boycott Microsoft and all their actions for shipping consoles out there while people here in the United States were giving $800 hard earned dollars for the console alone or being forced to buy asinine bundles that those fucks at gamestop made everyone get.

[quote name='rebthor']The 360 on the other hand has your standard 100% markup on used goods (it must be Gamestop of Japan :lol:)[/quote]

Did you see all those stickers on the used 360 box? It IS Gamestop of Japan! lol

Are you guys collectively so stupid as to blame Microsoft for this failure? Try blaming the Japanese people who have expressed no interest in it. Guess what, not everything sells everywhere....Laserdiscs never really took off in the United States, Video CD's never even were a blip on our radar......

Is it Feverish Nationalism at work? "We think the 360 is lousy because its not made by Sony", or perhaps is it because there are no games starring Super-Deformed Hot Dogs with cute smiles battling ancient feudal Japanese warriors on the bullet-train??? Could be...

I'm guessing its a little of both. Add to this that online multiplayer gaming is a huge boom in the United States, but really not as big a deal in Japan.

Think about it.....most of us live in the 'burbs...our nation is huge, spread out over a gajilion square miles. Our homes are palatial compared to other countries, 2000-4000 square feet of home living goodness. Alot of us in the states can't even walk to a store in any kind of timely fashion.

Japan's populace is mostly centered in the large super cities....they have small, tiny homes or apartments. When they want to kick back, they want to go OUT.....they live in areas that cater to the fact tha tthey dont want to lounge around the 100 square foot pad when they aren't working. Multiplayer gaming for them means going out to an arcade or internet bar or whatever. The portable systems rule Japan because the Japanese are always on the move.

So LIVE isn't a huge selling point.....not nearly the big deal it is over here....

Either way, Japan was never the primary target for this system..the core launch of games proves this. Microsoft was banking on the Japanese love of tech gadgets to sell systems, but clearly thats not the case.

Anyone who's shitting on the 360 either can't afford to own one, or is suffering from sort of strange PS3/Nintendo bias. The system is quite good, not perfect, not without flaws, but a worthy sucessor to the Xbox. The system isn't a half year old yet and already its got games that are keepers. People who are bashing it are putting up some really lame arguements. The hardware does what its supposed to, HD gaming with pretty graphics. Whats to complain about?

The japanese aren't buying it so it must be crap? Oh brother.....

It is correct that Japan was never the primary target for the system. However, I dont see a problem with blaming Microsoft for choosing to introduce a product where there is no market for its games, when there are starving markets elsewhere.

Putting up lame arguments against bashing the xbox? There is only one legitimate argument/complaint. Games. This of course is an opinion. The Japanese clearly dont like their games. They're not wrong. Americans clearly like the games. They're not wrong. Its an opinion.

The systems clearly have different trends as far as genres. Shitting on the box because of its games is an extremely legitimate reason.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Are you guys collectively so stupid as to blame Microsoft for this failure? Try blaming the Japanese people who have expressed no interest in it. Guess what, not everything sells everywhere....Laserdiscs never really took off in the United States, Video CD's never even were a blip on our radar......

Is it Feverish Nationalism at work? "We think the 360 is lousy because its not made by Sony", or perhaps is it because there are no games starring Super-Deformed Hot Dogs with cute smiles battling ancient feudal Japanese warriors on the bullet-train??? Could be...

I'm guessing its a little of both. Add to this that online multiplayer gaming is a huge boom in the United States, but really not as big a deal in Japan.

Think about it.....most of us live in the 'burbs...our nation is huge, spread out over a gajilion square miles. Our homes are palatial compared to other countries, 2000-4000 square feet of home living goodness. Alot of us in the states can't even walk to a store in any kind of timely fashion.

Japan's populace is mostly centered in the large super cities....they have small, tiny homes or apartments. When they want to kick back, they want to go OUT.....they live in areas that cater to the fact tha tthey dont want to lounge around the 100 square foot pad when they aren't working. Multiplayer gaming for them means going out to an arcade or internet bar or whatever. The portable systems rule Japan because the Japanese are always on the move.

So LIVE isn't a huge selling point.....not nearly the big deal it is over here....

Either way, Japan was never the primary target for this system..the core launch of games proves this. Microsoft was banking on the Japanese love of tech gadgets to sell systems, but clearly thats not the case.

Anyone who's shitting on the 360 either can't afford to own one, or is suffering from sort of strange PS3/Nintendo bias. The system is quite good, not perfect, not without flaws, but a worthy sucessor to the Xbox. The system isn't a half year old yet and already its got games that are keepers. People who are bashing it are putting up some really lame arguements. The hardware does what its supposed to, HD gaming with pretty graphics. Whats to complain about?

The japanese aren't buying it so it must be crap? Oh brother.....[/QUOTE]
Microsoft should have launched the 360 in Japan in December 08 or something...

[quote name='HeadRusch']Anyone who's shitting on the 360 either can't afford to own one, or is suffering from sort of strange PS3/Nintendo bias. The system is quite good, not perfect, not without flaws, but a worthy sucessor to the Xbox. The system isn't a half year old yet and already its got games that are keepers. People who are bashing it are putting up some really lame arguements. The hardware does what its supposed to, HD gaming with pretty graphics. Whats to complain about?
[/QUOTE]

Gawwwwwwwwwwwhd, I KNOW. I mean like, anyone who disagrees is like SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STUPID AND BIASED.

Wonder how much of the 360's shunning is based on the possibility that the Japanese are upholding the status quo of ignoring foreign consoles.

And how much of the DS Lite's success, insanely high success is based on the flipside of that status quo. The obsession of having the latest greatest piece of electronics - that if you lack, are somehow lesser.

I could be way off, but that's the sort of thing this brings to mind for me. They just seem like a very trendy, chic society when it comes to electronics.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Are you guys collectively so stupid as to blame Microsoft for this failure? Try blaming the Japanese people who have expressed no interest in it. Guess what, not everything sells everywhere....Laserdiscs never really took off in the United States, Video CD's never even were a blip on our radar......

The japanese aren't buying it so it must be crap? Oh brother.....[/QUOTE]

It is MS' fault.
They seemed to put a LOT of effort into promoting it, talked a LOT about how they would win over the market, then they fucked up by not having enough games at launch. They should've waited and launched it with a bunch of games that the Japanese would be interested in.

like you said, different places like different products and a company who's trying to break into that territory should make the product on those terms. Microsoft should've known that the Japanese weren't just going to eat up a foreign product by a company that failed before in Japan without decent justification...the 360 hasn't provided any.

You make a good point about the lay of the land and culture there-- you should send that to MS for their next system launch. They'll need to tailor the system with that in mind, if they want to stand a chance.

[quote name='Aleryn']Wonder how much of the 360's shunning is based on the possibility that the Japanese are upholding the status quo of ignoring foreign consoles.

And how much of the DS Lite's success, insanely high success is based on the flipside of that status quo. The obsession of having the latest greatest piece of electronics - that if you lack, are somehow lesser.

I could be way off, but that's the sort of thing this brings to mind for me. They just seem like a very trendy, chic society when it comes to electronics.[/QUOTE]

Like CheapyD says in every other cagcast, the iPod is huge over there (an electronic product from America)

[quote name='thorbahn3']Like CheapyD says in every other cagcast, the iPod is huge over there (an electronic product from America)[/QUOTE]

I love how everyone jumps to that anytime the discussion about Japan shunning America's products. I won't argue that point but it is important to point out that it is the ONLY American product that is wildly popular in Japan.

That and the fact that there is very little in the way of an equivalent competition for the iPod. Sure there are mp3 players but the iPod is really in a category in itself due to the matching of style and performance.

Now look at it from the opposite direction. Japanese products are pretty damn popular in America vs. their domestic competition. Look at TVs, most people trust Japanese makers above American manufacturers. Hell, that stands for most electronics as well. Japanese cars are quickly becoming more popular than American cars. Toyota is now the number 1 car manufacturer in the world.

Just because there is 1 American product that is wildly popular doesn't mean that there isn't a nationalistic bias in their purchasing.

Why are people complaining about nationalistic bias?

What, are you going to bitch the Japanese into submission? I'm afraid I don't even understand why there is a conversation about it to begin with.

I'm sure most countries have a bias against America in some way or another. We are the fattest, loudest, most irresponsible country in the world. We have the most disposable income, use the most resources, and are currently on a warpath with a "YER EITHER WI'DUS OR AGINUS!" attitude.

Hell, I heard the Xbox had enough issues purely based on the size of the machine alone. That's not fanboy bias, that's simple fact. They have tiny apartments, don't want a bigass machine in there. I think the N64 had some similar issues also.

There's a bias, people. And there's really not much you can do about it.

I mean, water is wet. Wtf.

i think its funny that people get all on the defensive about this stuff

"oh its not MS fault, its the japs faults" "ipod is the only american thing they like" etc etc

does it matter? if you enjoy the console here in the states, thats great....like Strell above me said...tough luck...looks like MS looses out of japan yet again due to numerous factors that are well beyond the average messageboard posters control

there's no point in getting defensive and accusing others of dumb stuff like fanboy-ism and whatnot...saying MS is losing out of the Japan console race doesnt take a fanboy, or a genius, to point out

i wish everyone would get over the whole CONSOLLE WARSESS!!!11!! and just play their damn game system

though its somewhat extreme, people should care about the console wars. Why?

Because marketshare sways third parties. How well your company does determines in part, whether or not it gets games at all.

No one wants to see their favorite games, or even worse, their favorite platform, die. And the best way to be the furthest away from death, is to be #1. I dont have any problem with people getting involved in the welfare of a company. Even if sometimes they do it with too much zeal.

Edit: Example.

Its 1998. You, , enjoys the Dreamcast platform, and its games. I despise EA. However, should I or should I not be concerned if EA decides not to support the platform. Why should I even care if I dont play EA games? But it matters, because other people care.

[quote name='Apossum']It is MS' fault.
They seemed to put a LOT of effort into promoting it, talked a LOT about how they would win over the market, then they fucked up by not having enough games at launch. They should've waited and launched it with a bunch of games that the Japanese would be interested in.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not disagreeing...I'm just irritated by people who blame Microsoft and then, like, swear they're going to do some kind of boycott or then say the system is crap. Its like saying "Butter makes me sick, I'm never eating Meat again!".

!??!?!

[/QUOTE]
like you said, different places like different products and a company who's trying to break into that territory should make the product on those terms. Microsoft should've known that the Japanese weren't just going to eat up a foreign product by a company that failed before in Japan without decent justification...the 360 hasn't provided any.
[/QUOTE]

Well I think Microsoft was hoping that a game like PGR3 would sell, i mean, the Japanese love racers..I imagine those that nabbed a 360 probably bought that game to go along with it. COD2? I can see them truly not giving a crap....I mean, WW2 isn't exactly a booming "HEY HEY!" joyfest over there...

At the same time, why develop a game like Super Demon Happy Mushroom Land...SuperDeformed edition...when it wouldn't really sell outside of that one market. And you'd need a dozen of them to make the expensive system viable. Plus, it doesn't play HDDVD or Blu-Ray....so it loses that gadget factor too.

I'm curious, maybe Cheapy could comment: HOws the HDTV penetration over there....?? ARe the japanese stocking their homes with big 50" screens?

ANYHOW I think Microsofts strategy is make games for the lowest common denominator, certainly at launch, that will appeal to themost people. I mean, there are plenty of Japanese who love their FPS's...they just aren't a national phenomina like they are here, I am GUESSING because of my arguement that their society isn't about being cooped up at home playing co-op online, which is traditionally where most FPS's really shine.

You make a good point about the lay of the land and culture there-- you should send that to MS for their next system launch. They'll need to tailor the system with that in mind, if they want to stand a chance.

Again...my gripe isn't that M$ didn't drop the ball on the system, its the people saying "Japan hates it, I hate it"...thats just..frickin absurd.

As for the DS, I think the DS hits on alot of levels. One, its chic. Two, its small and portable...and Japan is a small and portable society. Three, its got loads of Japanese-first games. Plankton....Animal Crossing..all of these games that Japanese people play wirelessly.

Videogames there are almost a social vibe unto themselves...here they're games, but over there it feels more like they're used to "break the ice"...meet other people..etc. Like if you have DS lite you're automatically part of this social club........

[quote name='HeadRusch']Again...my gripe isn't that M$ didn't drop the ball on the system, its the people saying "Japan hates it, I hate it"...thats just..frickin absurd.[/quote]

I dont think too many people are actually saying this though?

However, I dont see it as being unreasonable, in the singular case that YOUR PERSONAL tastes are in line with the Japanese tastes.

No big deal. The 360 is doing fine everywhere else. Maybe next time Microsoft should focus on pleasing everyone else instead of the people who couldn't care less because it's BEEG AMEREECAN SEESTEM. Let them have their butt-poking simulators.

If they're too stupid to look past a national bias, their loss. We get everything here and enjoy all of it - even if the most Japanese-centric company's console got its ass handed to it over the last several years, they're still a force and people still enjoy their games.

I'm not losing sleep over it, and neither should anyone else here.

No big deal. The 360 is doing fine everywhere else. Maybe next time Microsoft should focus on pleasing everyone else instead of the people who couldn't care less because it's BEEG AMEREECAN SEESTEM. Let them have their butt-poking simulators.

If they're too stupid to look past a national bias, their loss. We get everything here and enjoy all of it - even if the most Japanese-centric company's console got its ass handed to it over the last several years, they're still a force and people still enjoy their games.

I'm not losing sleep over it, and neither should anyone else here.

I don't think the issue here is that Japan hates all things American. There's a lot in the Japanese culture that would testify to just the opposite.

The problem isn't with Japan as much as it is with Microsoft. The biggest problems they faced were:
1) Overcoming the stigma attached to the Xbox name after their first console.
2) Producing software that would appeal to a Japanese audience, not just localizing American games.

#2 would go a long way to overcoming #1, but they just dropped the ball. As has been said, they really should've stalled the 360 launch, focused on their golden North American and European audiences, and launched in Japan when they had some they'd want. Dead or Alive 4 evidently isn't cutting it.

Can we try to avoid blanket-insulting an entire country because their tastes are different than ours? To call the Japanese people stupid because they don't like your favorite game console is one of the most ego- and ethno-centric thing I've ever heard. You just make yourself look like a jerk who has no concept of culture when you say things like that.

Yeah I dont think there should be any Japan bashing.....thats just not cool.

I will be curious to see the PS3 launch, if they snap them up the same way they did PS2's.

Now, mind you, half the PS2's sold because they were DVD Players....now its going to be a cheap (realtively) Blu-Ray player...i wonder what Japanese-centric games will release at the same time......

Here's what MS to win in Japan.

Walk up to the the square-enix HQ and give them a blank check and tell them to write the biggest number he can think of to make the next Dragron Quest on X360. It is probably more effective than anything they done so far in Japan.

If only the DS was more popular then the X360's over here, that'd way I'd be able to have one by now...

[quote name='HeadRusch']Are you guys collectively so stupid as to blame Microsoft for this failure? Try blaming the Japanese people who have expressed no interest in it.[/QUOTE]
Well this topic has been beaten to death already... BUT... The first failure (Xbox) was excusable, Microsoft was testing the waters and taking a big risk with a new product in a foreign country that already dominated the market. But yeah, you HAVE to blame Microsoft for this failure (360) as they obviously didn't learn a damn thing and made the EXACT SAME MISTAKE! Get your heads out of your asses Microsoft, Japan doesn't want your consoles. Send them to the people that do.

Wow how hard is it to find DS games in Japan. When I want to get a game like Tony Hawk or Castlevania, Bomberman for the DS. I have to go to the new EB games they are pretty much the only place around that carries the DS games. Every place I go around me they have only the release games of the DS.

The japanese aren't buying it so it must be crap? Oh brother.....[/quote]

You know you are probably right, but you know what Microsoft said that they are gonna ruin PS3's launch WTF who are they to ruin anyone, just because it's a american company and it thinks it's strong their wrong. Japan has had systems out for like 30 years now dude are you gonna compare a fucking X-box with nintendo, Nintendo started it all man and guess what it's japanese. Just like you said Japanese people dont like american games cant blame them they barely have anything else then violent games japan has atleast Rpg's/Fighthing and many more.

Nintendo History

(No I am not a Nintendo Fan-Boy I am infact a Sony PlayStation fan-boy and HOPE XBOX DIES FOREVER because Microsoft is fucking greeddddddddddddddddddddddddyyyyyyyyyy and disgusting!!!!!!(go pirated XP)

I still believe It's the games that run the country, not the system.

MS needs big guns. I'm talking Dragon Quest exclusive, Final Fantasy only the 360, Virtua Fighter. It really doesn't matter, just a huge exclusive and some wierd games to boot.

I still find it laughable Namco *expected* 500,000 copies of Ridge Racer sold in Japan for the 360. I doubt they will reach 1/5th of that by the end of this year. Although I have to admit, besides DOA, Ridge Racer had the best chance at selling the system over there at launch.

What exclusives does the xbox 360 have that the japanese like? (real question, not rhetorical)

And btw, personally when I buy japanese products it's because they're, ya know, good, high quality products, perhaps the japanese do as well?

[quote name='Sejad']HOPE XBOX DIES FOREVER because Microsoft is fucking greeddddddddddddddddddddddddyyyyyyyyyy and disgusting!!!!!!(go pirated XP)[/quote]
Wouldn't that make you greedy as well since you wouldn't pay for the software but instead pirated it? (I'm only assuming from your post content). I mean for a company so greedy and disgusting why use their software. There are alternatives out there, like MAC, and Linux.

I just find it so funny when people dis microsoft and yet still use their products. Drugs are disgusting *puff* they suck ass *puff* made by greedy assholes *puff*

I'm not a microsoft fan boy but the xbox has some good games. The 360 has some games coming out that make me want to get the console soon.

It does kind of suck though that there's a large supply of 360's in Japan, and almost none here. People here got cheated out of preorders and a possible system of their own is sitting on a shelf rotting away.

[quote name='arcadia']Wouldn't that make you greedy as well since you wouldn't pay for the software but instead pirated it? (I'm only assuming from your post content). I mean for a company so greedy and disgusting why use their software. There are alternatives out there, like MAC, and Linux.

I just find it so funny when people dis microsoft and yet still use their products. Drugs are disgusting *puff* they suck ass *puff* made by greedy assholes *puff*

I'm not a microsoft fan boy but the xbox has some good games. The 360 has some games coming out that make me want to get the console soon.

It does kind of suck though that there's a large supply of 360's in Japan, and almost none here. People here got cheated out of preorders and a possible system of their own is sitting on a shelf rotting away.[/quote]

Dude are you like dumb or something, I said I think they are greddy and disgusting because they try to either buy out evey copany also shut them down but I love Windows it's a great product just I am not paying for it(well my new pc I bought it and it came with XP but not my other one).

Ok,

So Cheapy if you decide to read this post... Do you run into stores that get NEW stock and then selling them as used to get higher than MSRP?

As is commony done over here with Eb/Gamestop?

Snake, I really couldn't say for sure.
I would guess that any new stock get solds immediately for MSRP, but I really don't know. FWIW, The big chain stores (Yodobashi & Bic Camera) don't even sell used items.

[quote name='CheapyD']Snake, I really couldn't say for sure.
I would guess that any new stock get solds immediately for MSRP, but I really don't know. FWIW, The big chain stores (Yodobashi & Bic Camera) don't even sell used items.[/QUOTE]

BUT they do have nice bargain bins! :D

I snagged a copy of "Typing of the Dead: Zombie Panic!" for PS2 WITH a SEGA USB keyboard for like 1200 yen (roughly $10)! Also got Beserk for PS2 for about the same price in a Bargain bin @ Sofmap.

If Microsoft wants to be successful in Japan, they need to take their name off of the device.

Everyone in Japan knows Microsoft from their windows operating system, which has a veritable monopoly on computer systems all over the world. Now, if that company basically owns their computers.. do you think that they want to let them into their living rooms too?

(That is the logic of one of my Japanese friends, and I think she makes a pretty good point). They view video games as being Japanese, originating from Japan and that Japan makes the best video games.

They don't want an American company coming in and dominating what they traditionally consider to be a Japanese business. These observations, coupled with the fact that Microsoft has dropped the ball on software, paired additionally with the name "xbox" are helping the Xbox 360 on its road to failure in Japan.

Obviously Microsoft wanted to win over the Japanese market, but they're doing a miserable job. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon should have been LAUNCH games for the 360, in addition to Dead or Alive 4 and probably even a couple dating sims or music/rhythm games.

That said, some of the Japanese developed 360 titles are the ones I want most.. hopefully they will start to do better when some of those games come out.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Example.

Its 1998. You, , enjoys the Dreamcast platform, and its games. I despise EA. However, should I or should I not be concerned if EA decides not to support the platform. Why should I even care if I dont play EA games? But it matters, because other people care.[/quote]

Considering the Dreamcast didn't come out until 9-9-99, I don't see how anybody enjoyed the Dreamcast platform in 1998.

bread's done
Back