- - - - -

Japan Trade-In Food Chain: DS Lite Hot, Xbox 360 Not

#31 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10529 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:22 PM

No big deal. The 360 is doing fine everywhere else. Maybe next time Microsoft should focus on pleasing everyone else instead of the people who couldn't care less because it's BEEG AMEREECAN SEESTEM. Let them have their butt-poking simulators.

If they're too stupid to look past a national bias, their loss. We get everything here and enjoy all of it - even if the most Japanese-centric company's console got its ass handed to it over the last several years, they're still a force and people still enjoy their games.

I'm not losing sleep over it, and neither should anyone else here.

#32 daroga   swimming with nanocarp CAGiversary!   11178 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:17 AM

I don't think the issue here is that Japan hates all things American. There's a lot in the Japanese culture that would testify to just the opposite.

The problem isn't with Japan as much as it is with Microsoft. The biggest problems they faced were:
1) Overcoming the stigma attached to the Xbox name after their first console.
2) Producing software that would appeal to a Japanese audience, not just localizing American games.

#2 would go a long way to overcoming #1, but they just dropped the ball. As has been said, they really should've stalled the 360 launch, focused on their golden North American and European audiences, and launched in Japan when they had some they'd want. Dead or Alive 4 evidently isn't cutting it.

Can we try to avoid blanket-insulting an entire country because their tastes are different than ours? To call the Japanese people stupid because they don't like your favorite game console is one of the most ego- and ethno-centric thing I've ever heard. You just make yourself look like a jerk who has no concept of culture when you say things like that.

#33 HeadRusch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1290 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

HeadRusch

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:26 AM

Yeah I dont think there should be any Japan bashing.....thats just not cool.

I will be curious to see the PS3 launch, if they snap them up the same way they did PS2's.

Now, mind you, half the PS2's sold because they were DVD Players....now its going to be a cheap (realtively) Blu-Ray player...i wonder what Japanese-centric games will release at the same time......

#34 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19941 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:53 AM

Here's what MS to win in Japan.

Walk up to the the square-enix HQ and give them a blank check and tell them to write the biggest number he can think of to make the next Dragron Quest on X360. It is probably more effective than anything they done so far in Japan.

#35 RiCeBo1   NAME PRONOUNCED RICEBOY CAGiversary!   3040 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:56 AM

If only the DS was more popular then the X360's over here, that'd way I'd be able to have one by now...

#36 redline   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1009 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:53 AM

Are you guys collectively so stupid as to blame Microsoft for this failure? Try blaming the Japanese people who have expressed no interest in it.

Well this topic has been beaten to death already... BUT... The first failure (Xbox) was excusable, Microsoft was testing the waters and taking a big risk with a new product in a foreign country that already dominated the market. But yeah, you HAVE to blame Microsoft for this failure (360) as they obviously didn't learn a damn thing and made the EXACT SAME MISTAKE! Get your heads out of your asses Microsoft, Japan doesn't want your consoles. Send them to the people that do.

#37 Graystone   ` CAGiversary!   15662 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:12 PM

Wow how hard is it to find DS games in Japan. When I want to get a game like Tony Hawk or Castlevania, Bomberman for the DS. I have to go to the new EB games they are pretty much the only place around that carries the DS games. Every place I go around me they have only the release games of the DS.

#38 S_gamer   Brotherhood of Steel CAGiversary!   1025 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:12 AM

Are you guys collectively so stupid as to blame Microsoft for this failure? Try blaming the Japanese people who have expressed no interest in it. Guess what, not everything sells everywhere....Laserdiscs never really took off in the United States, Video CD's never even were a blip on our radar......

Is it Feverish Nationalism at work? "We think the 360 is lousy because its not made by Sony", or perhaps is it because there are no games starring Super-Deformed Hot Dogs with cute smiles battling ancient feudal Japanese warriors on the bullet-train??? Could be...

I'm guessing its a little of both. Add to this that online multiplayer gaming is a huge boom in the United States, but really not as big a deal in Japan.

Think about it.....most of us live in the 'burbs...our nation is huge, spread out over a gajilion square miles. Our homes are palatial compared to other countries, 2000-4000 square feet of home living goodness. Alot of us in the states can't even walk to a store in any kind of timely fashion.

Japan's populace is mostly centered in the large super cities....they have small, tiny homes or apartments. When they want to kick back, they want to go OUT.....they live in areas that cater to the fact tha tthey dont want to lounge around the 100 square foot pad when they aren't working. Multiplayer gaming for them means going out to an arcade or internet bar or whatever. The portable systems rule Japan because the Japanese are always on the move.

So LIVE isn't a huge selling point.....not nearly the big deal it is over here....

Either way, Japan was never the primary target for this system..the core launch of games proves this. Microsoft was banking on the Japanese love of tech gadgets to sell systems, but clearly thats not the case.

Anyone who's shitting on the 360 either can't afford to own one, or is suffering from sort of strange PS3/Nintendo bias. The system is quite good, not perfect, not without flaws, but a worthy sucessor to the Xbox. The system isn't a half year old yet and already its got games that are keepers. People who are bashing it are putting up some really lame arguements. The hardware does what its supposed to, HD gaming with pretty graphics. Whats to complain about?

The japanese aren't buying it so it must be crap? Oh brother.....

You know you are probably right, but you know what Microsoft said that they are gonna ruin PS3's launch WTF who are they to ruin anyone, just because it's a american company and it thinks it's strong their wrong. Japan has had systems out for like 30 years now dude are you gonna compare a fucking X-box with nintendo, Nintendo started it all man and guess what it's japanese. Just like you said Japanese people dont like american games cant blame them they barely have anything else then violent games japan has atleast Rpg's/Fighthing and many more.

Nintendo History

(No I am not a Nintendo Fan-Boy I am infact a Sony PlayStation fan-boy and HOPE XBOX DIES FOREVER because Microsoft is fucking greeddddddddddddddddddddddddyyyyyyyyyy and disgusting!!!!!!(go pirated XP)

#39 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   11526 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:32 AM

I still believe It's the games that run the country, not the system.

MS needs big guns. I'm talking Dragon Quest exclusive, Final Fantasy only the 360, Virtua Fighter. It really doesn't matter, just a huge exclusive and some wierd games to boot.

I still find it laughable Namco *expected* 500,000 copies of Ridge Racer sold in Japan for the 360. I doubt they will reach 1/5th of that by the end of this year. Although I have to admit, besides DOA, Ridge Racer had the best chance at selling the system over there at launch.

#40 SpazX   13 Billion Years in the Making CAGiversary!   8346 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:01 AM

What exclusives does the xbox 360 have that the japanese like? (real question, not rhetorical)

And btw, personally when I buy japanese products it's because they're, ya know, good, high quality products, perhaps the japanese do as well?

#41 arcadia   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   49 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:38 AM

HOPE XBOX DIES FOREVER because Microsoft is fucking greeddddddddddddddddddddddddyyyyyyyyyy and disgusting!!!!!!(go pirated XP)

Wouldn't that make you greedy as well since you wouldn't pay for the software but instead pirated it? (I'm only assuming from your post content). I mean for a company so greedy and disgusting why use their software. There are alternatives out there, like MAC, and Linux.

I just find it so funny when people dis microsoft and yet still use their products. Drugs are disgusting *puff* they suck ass *puff* made by greedy assholes *puff*

I'm not a microsoft fan boy but the xbox has some good games. The 360 has some games coming out that make me want to get the console soon.

It does kind of suck though that there's a large supply of 360's in Japan, and almost none here. People here got cheated out of preorders and a possible system of their own is sitting on a shelf rotting away.

#42 S_gamer   Brotherhood of Steel CAGiversary!   1025 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:27 PM

Wouldn't that make you greedy as well since you wouldn't pay for the software but instead pirated it? (I'm only assuming from your post content). I mean for a company so greedy and disgusting why use their software. There are alternatives out there, like MAC, and Linux.

I just find it so funny when people dis microsoft and yet still use their products. Drugs are disgusting *puff* they suck ass *puff* made by greedy assholes *puff*

I'm not a microsoft fan boy but the xbox has some good games. The 360 has some games coming out that make me want to get the console soon.

It does kind of suck though that there's a large supply of 360's in Japan, and almost none here. People here got cheated out of preorders and a possible system of their own is sitting on a shelf rotting away.

Dude are you like dumb or something, I said I think they are greddy and disgusting because they try to either buy out evey copany also shut them down but I love Windows it's a great product just I am not paying for it(well my new pc I bought it and it came with XP but not my other one).

#43 Snake2715   Gotta Have Your Toys... CAGiversary!   8551 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:09 PM

Ok,

So Cheapy if you decide to read this post... Do you run into stores that get NEW stock and then selling them as used to get higher than MSRP?

As is commony done over here with Eb/Gamestop?

#44 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   17716 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:13 PM

Snake, I really couldn't say for sure.
I would guess that any new stock get solds immediately for MSRP, but I really don't know. FWIW, The big chain stores (Yodobashi & Bic Camera) don't even sell used items.

#45 Gameboy415   16-bits of awesome CAGiversary!   3419 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:17 PM

Snake, I really couldn't say for sure.
I would guess that any new stock get solds immediately for MSRP, but I really don't know. FWIW, The big chain stores (Yodobashi & Bic Camera) don't even sell used items.

BUT they do have nice bargain bins! :D

I snagged a copy of "Typing of the Dead: Zombie Panic!" for PS2 WITH a SEGA USB keyboard for like 1200 yen (roughly $10)! Also got Beserk for PS2 for about the same price in a Bargain bin @ Sofmap.

#46 Snake2715   Gotta Have Your Toys... CAGiversary!   8551 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:44 PM

Cool thanks for the answer guys. I figured its possible but didnt know how shady they get over there.

#47 Robobandit   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   553 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

If Microsoft wants to be successful in Japan, they need to take their name off of the device.

Everyone in Japan knows Microsoft from their windows operating system, which has a veritable monopoly on computer systems all over the world. Now, if that company basically owns their computers.. do you think that they want to let them into their living rooms too?

(That is the logic of one of my Japanese friends, and I think she makes a pretty good point). They view video games as being Japanese, originating from Japan and that Japan makes the best video games.

They don't want an American company coming in and dominating what they traditionally consider to be a Japanese business. These observations, coupled with the fact that Microsoft has dropped the ball on software, paired additionally with the name "xbox" are helping the Xbox 360 on its road to failure in Japan.

Obviously Microsoft wanted to win over the Japanese market, but they're doing a miserable job. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon should have been LAUNCH games for the 360, in addition to Dead or Alive 4 and probably even a couple dating sims or music/rhythm games.

That said, some of the Japanese developed 360 titles are the ones I want most.. hopefully they will start to do better when some of those games come out.

#48 thefunmachine   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   34 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

thefunmachine

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:07 PM

Example.

Its 1998. You, <insert name>, enjoys the Dreamcast platform, and its games. I despise EA. However, should I or should I not be concerned if EA decides not to support the platform. Why should I even care if I dont play EA games? But it matters, because other people care.

Considering the Dreamcast didn't come out until 9-9-99, I don't see how anybody enjoyed the Dreamcast platform in 1998.

#49 Dr Mario Kart   SD/2D Defense Force CAGiversary!   10957 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Dr Mario Kart

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:16 PM

bah, details. Thats clearly not the point anyway.

#50 DuckM4n   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   350 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

Ok,

So Cheapy if you decide to read this post... Do you run into stores that get NEW stock and then selling them as used to get higher than MSRP?

As is commony done over here with Eb/Gamestop?

wow, more reasons why i will not be shopping at Gamestop

wow the net gain from tradingin in is amazing,

edit: ohhhhhhhhhhhhh i miss read the post

#51 MadFlava   Sa Da Tay! CAGiversary!   2602 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:56 PM

Wonder how much of the 360's shunning is based on the possibility that the Japanese are upholding the status quo of ignoring foreign consoles.

And how much of the DS Lite's success, insanely high success is based on the flipside of that status quo. The obsession of having the latest greatest piece of electronics - that if you lack, are somehow lesser.

I could be way off, but that's the sort of thing this brings to mind for me. They just seem like a very trendy, chic society when it comes to electronics.

LOL, blame a whole country for 360's failure in Japan. You make it seem like the Japanese don't want to buy the 360 because it's American. Well the iPod was designed in American and it's a huge seller in Japan. In fact, Sony's mp3 Walkman can't even compete with the American Apple iPod. So I rest all the blame solely on MS for rushing this console out to market. Even if they waited another 6 months they could have had a stronger launch line up with more appealing games.

#52 HeadRusch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1290 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

HeadRusch

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:04 PM

No, if I had watned to say that, I would have said "THE JAPANESE ARE ANTI-AMERICAN AND WONT BUY AN AMERICAN CONSOLE".

Which I didn't, because they aren't...just look at their culture, they suck up more American pop culture than Americans do!

The Japanese seem to have no interst in games like PGR3 (and yet they go apeshit over Gran Turismo games), Ghost Recon, or even DOA4. Now why is that?

Since they seem to buy driving and fighting games with great enthusiasm on other systems. I dunno why this is...maybe they are focused lately on other types of games, or maybe the japanese in general really do have a bit of cultural bias when it comes to, at least, Video Games.....and stick by Nintendo and Sony.

Who knows....but I definately dont thik you can just point the finger at microsoft and say "its their fault, they suck, their console sucks, I'm not buying one because the japanese dont like it"....which if you read through some of the posts in this thread seem to be what some peeps are implying.

#53 sqyxzylyx   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   251 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:17 AM

No, if I had watned to say that, I would have said "THE JAPANESE ARE ANTI-AMERICAN AND WONT BUY AN AMERICAN CONSOLE".

Which I didn't, because they aren't...just look at their culture, they suck up more American pop culture than Americans do!

The Japanese seem to have no interst in games like PGR3 (and yet they go apeshit over Gran Turismo games), Ghost Recon, or even DOA4. Now why is that?

Since they seem to buy driving and fighting games with great enthusiasm on other systems. I dunno why this is...maybe they are focused lately on other types of games, or maybe the japanese in general really do have a bit of cultural bias when it comes to, at least, Video Games.....and stick by Nintendo and Sony.

Who knows....but I definately dont thik you can just point the finger at microsoft and say "its their fault, they suck, their console sucks, I'm not buying one because the japanese dont like it"....which if you read through some of the posts in this thread seem to be what some peeps are implying.

The Japanese market is all about product quality. Microsoft is software not hardware, hence they are not known to make quality hardware. It shows in their faulty xbox 360.

#54 evanft   Wombat needs Nutrisystem. CAGiversary!   7006 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:55 PM

You know you are probably right, but you know what Microsoft said that they are gonna ruin PS3's launch WTF who are they to ruin anyone, just because it's a american company and it thinks it's strong their wrong. Japan has had systems out for like 30 years now dude are you gonna compare a fucking X-box with nintendo, Nintendo started it all man and guess what it's japanese. Just like you said Japanese people dont like american games cant blame them they barely have anything else then violent games japan has atleast Rpg's/Fighthing and many more.

Nintendo History

(No I am not a Nintendo Fan-Boy I am infact a Sony PlayStation fan-boy and HOPE XBOX DIES FOREVER because Microsoft is fucking greeddddddddddddddddddddddddyyyyyyyyyy and disgusting!!!!!!(go pirated XP)

Welcome to my ignore list.

#55 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:10 PM

Nintendo History

First off, you're an idiot. Plain and simple. Now on to the meat of the issue.

Famicom came out 23 years ago in japan, not 30, and that was Nintendo's first video game console. On top of that, they were NOT the first, Magnavox was. Magnavox is an American company. After the Magnavox odyssey, along came Atari, another American company, with Pong. So saying that Japan and Nintendo invented video games is an absolutely ridiculous assertion.

As far as the last part of your post, I don't think that needs any kind of retort because it pretty much speaks for itself. :roll:

#56 AlbinoNinja   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2607 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

AlbinoNinja

Posted 28 April 2006 - 01:58 AM

HOPE XBOX DIES FOREVER because Microsoft is ing greeddddddddddddddddddddddddyyyyyyyyyy and disgusting!!!!!!(go pirated XP)

Cheapy, your gonna have to stop posting this stuff, its too much fuel for the trolls.

Japan is a land of more serious gamers, and serious gamers crave a system with series they can depend on. Microsoft has a lot of gutsy publishers on their side who are well-known on the computer, but were barely known for their console games (Bioware and Bethesda are the first two to come to mind)

In America, there are plenty more casual gamers, who will simply window-shop what interests them. But in Japan, I believe theres a law preventing the rental of video games in Japan, which lowers Japanese gamer's ability to try-before-they-buy. We also can't forget how expensive it is to live in a Japanese city, which certainly takes away gaming money. Therefore, gamers take less risks and instead buy the series they know they will enjoy.

In order to survive in Japan, Microsoft doesn't have to change their name. Japan loves American culture and products (iPod, American Movies, etc.). They, however, do not want to spend their money on a system that may not succeed, and it's not their problem if the new system on campus can't survive.

Microsoft is still going to need to gain a lot more street cred before they can takeover Japan, and street cred is not something that the American Titan can buy.

(Hey Sejad, guess what? I don't even own an XBox. All I have is a PS2, and even then I am having second doubts about the PS3. I hate Halo, but I hate ignorant system bashing more, and I am sure most of the rest of CAG will agree with me)

#57 xeverex18   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   498 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:52 AM

the 360 is garbage, and halo is the only game everyone plays. I know Japan has better 1st person shooters over there so 360< ps3.

#58 HeadRusch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1290 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

HeadRusch

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:14 PM

Xverex18 = Tard

Japan has totally better first person shooters, like Demon Tentacle Panty Horseradish, and Equator Machinegun AnimalFarm Zaibatsu.......both of those own GRAW, I tell you what. :P