Murder!! at Middle School

Naughty_Insomniac

CAGiversary!
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/7868956.htm

Unbelievable ... and at a "good" school, not some gang-infested school ...

It's a little long so if you don't feel like reading it all, here are some of what I consider the "highlights".

EDIT: Now that I'm done I guess I didn't cut too many things out lol, you may as well read the whole thing. ;)

[quote name='The Miami Herald']A quiet, 14-year-old honors student was killed in a bathroom at his Palmetto Bay middle school Tuesday morning, his throat apparently cut by a classmate in a shocking attack that paralyzed hundreds of families and terrified parents across Miami-Dade County.

Jaime Rodrigo Gough was found bleeding to death in a second-floor restroom at Southwood Middle School around 8:30 a.m. by another student, who saw a pool of blood and a pair of legs sticking out from a stall. He ran to get help, but paramedics were unable to save Jaime.

Within hours, police focused on a fellow eighth-grader, who was identified as 14-year-old Michael Hernandez. He was charged late Tuesday night with first-degree murder. Such a serious charge indicates police believe the killing may have been planned.

After Jaime's body was found, administrators launched a lockdown, confining students to their first-period classrooms for the day while detectives investigated.

The two boys knew each other, Alvarez [Miami-Dade Sheriff] said, but he would not speculate on what prompted the attack. ... A few students said Jaime was sometimes bullied because he was short, bookish and a little chubby.

Friends and neighbors, already stunned by the news of a killing at the nearly crime-free Southwood, were dumbfounded as Jaime's name began to sweep through the community. The words ''quiet'' and ''shy'' were used over and over.

''This never happens here,'' said Maria Ramirez, Jaime's aunt. "It's a good school.'' Indeed, Southwood was the district's first magnet school when it opened in 1976 and is renowned for its programs in dance, music and art.

If there has ever been a homicide in a Miami-Dade public school, even long-time veterans cannot recall it. School Board member Solomon Stinson has worked for the district since 1960 and said he cannot remember a single precedent.

Despite the lockdown, which ended around the normal 3:40 dismissal time, students described a calm -- if uneasy -- day during which they never changed classes but never learned of the killing. ''They told us not to worry, everything's fine,'' said Clarissa Vargas, a sixth-grader. ``There was just rumors going around.''

Some students used cellphones, placing calls that allowed their parents to exhale. But in other classes -- including the science class students said Jamie was supposed to attend -- teachers banned calls. The silence infuriated some parents, many of whom waited outside for hours in the sun.

''If they let it leak there was a murder, these parents are going to go berserk,'' said Douglas Ede, whose 12-year-old son attends Southwood.

Two parents said their children were the ones to discover Jaime's bleeding body and report it to teachers, only to be sent back to their classrooms for the rest of the day.

''We were not even notified,'' said one of those parents, Terry Dunn. ``We found out when I saw my child being interviewed by Channel 7.''

Another parent said her child was in class with Hernandez all morning; her child said the suspect had blood on his clothing.

School officials did not directly respond, but said they would provide counseling for the 28 students in that class. ... ''There's not anyone or any way to pinpoint where or when this might occur,'' Cuccaro [Miami-Dade Schools PD Chief] said. "There was almost no way to prevent this.''[/quote]

What a story... from the unbelievable murder, to the parents' outrage. I'm curious to know why this kid did this, and in the way that he did (at school, during school hours, in the bathroom?) Notice they don't mention anything about the suspect's personality, only the victim. As far as the parents, I can understand why they would be upset ... but at the same time, I understand why the cops handled it the way they did.

Comments?

I don't know all the facts, but if he's found guilty, I say lock him up and throw away the key. I don't care if he's a kid. If you're old enough to cut someone's throat, you're old enough to do the time.

I'm reading this as I sit in my empty in the school where I teach and above all, I'm stunned by how violent and barbarous this seems to be in contrast to past incidents. I too would be interested to learn more about the nature of the student accused of the crime. Did he have a specific beef with this one student? Definately motivation to get to know my kids a little better, even in the sleepy community where I work.

Absolutely horrible...sick little fucks like that just piss me off. I agree that if the kid is found guilty, he should be tried as an adult. When kids commit 'adult' crimes, then they should be treated as one. They steal a candy bar, then just give them a little slap on the wrist. They kill someone by slicing their throat, then they should be put away. This person shouldnt see the outside of a jail cell ever again.

[quote name='CheapyD']That's terrible.

The worst thing that happend at my high school was the Amy Fisher incident.[/quote]

Cheapy's Link said:
She married her longtime boyfriend and father of her son in 2003, whom she met online at match.com

Why do I find that funny? :)

[quote name='TheRaven']Absolutely horrible...sick little fucks like that just piss me off. I agree that if the kid is found guilty, he should be tried as an adult. When kids commit 'adult' crimes, then they should be treated as one. They steal a candy bar, then just give them a little slap on the wrist. They kill someone by slicing their throat, then they should be put away. This person shouldnt see the outside of a jail cell ever again.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

Amy Fisher tried to kill someone as well, but it's amazing how less violent her pulling of a gun's trigger sounds when compared with a younger kid slashing someone's throat with a knife. Both culprits show a youthful ignorance as to the consequences of their actions and a remarkable lack of concern for the lives and safety of others. Still, Amy was ultimately unsuccessful in her attempt at murder, so she now gets to live a "normal" life in freedom after only six years behind bars. I'm not sure if justice was truly served here.

[quote name='SS4Brolly'][quote name='TheRaven']Absolutely horrible...sick little fucks like that just piss me off. I agree that if the kid is found guilty, he should be tried as an adult. When kids commit 'adult' crimes, then they should be treated as one. They steal a candy bar, then just give them a little slap on the wrist. They kill someone by slicing their throat, then they should be put away. This person shouldnt see the outside of a jail cell ever again.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.[/quote]

Then people start feeling sorry for them and the DA lets them renegotiate their sentence to get out while they're still a teenager...ala Lionel Tate.

This is just disgusting. I have a feeling that giving the death penalty to a teenager wouldn't go over too well, but this bastard deserves it.

It's unfortunate, but I have a feeling they'll try to link this to violent video games...most likely GTA.

Yeah, a couple of people at work yesterday were doing exactly that (blaming video games). I tried to explain that 14 year-olds are not supposed to be playing those games... alas, my words fell on deaf ears. :(

Her: My son is always playing those violent games, always shooting at everyone.
Me: ummmm, you're his mother right? If you don't like it, THEN WHY DO YOU LET IT CONTINUE???
Her: I don't ... I take him to his cousin's house, and when I pick him up I find them playing one of those games.
argh...I gave up after it became obvious that she's deaf :evil: :roll: :cry:

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Then people start feeling sorry for them and the DA lets them renegotiate their sentence to get out while they're still a teenager...ala Lionel Tate.[/quote]
The thing is, yeah he murdered that little girl, but it was not premeditated. Yeah it was wrong, but there's a difference. He didn't intend to kill someone. I don't think he should be released to go home and wear an ankle bracelet. (wtf? a murderer roaming free, wearing an ankle bracelet? :!: ) He should definitely serve more time than he has - I mean he WAS sentenced to life without parole, then be released to some kind of institution or something, but certainly not free to go home.

I talked to someone today that works in the Crime Lab ... she saw the actual knife that he used. She said it was horrific. One of those hunting-type knives, with the very sharp point and serrated edge. *ugh* gives me shivers just thinking about it.

I don't understand how he could have stabbed the kid more than once. I mean, any sane person would see how terrible it is and run, not keep stabbing and much less slit his throat. It's said that they were friends even. They were both "nerds", so it doesn't appear to be a case of a bully-gone-too-far. Not only that, but he was wearing gloves when he did it. Obviously premeditated. But still nothing on a motive. It also seems that the suspect is one of those extremely smart kids. I'm wondering if he's so intelligent that he's a little nuts, ala Charlie Manson.

It feels so weird saying "suspect" "victim" and "motive" when you're discussing a 14-year old. :cry:

I agree with you all. This kid needs to go away for a very long time. If he did this now that he's only 14, I hate to imagine what he would do later in life. I can't help but feel for the parents, but this kid is obviously a danger to the world.

*God help South Florida* what's wrong with the kids down here anyway? ;)

God damn. That's absolutely horrible....... I watched the movie Bowling for Columbine and it really made me think. He should definitely be locked up, why the hell would a kid stab his best friend? Revenge I guess... probably over some girl that they both liked or because the kid got a point higher on his math test.. :roll: :cry: that's fucking sick, though.

Two parents said their children were the ones to discover Jaime's bleeding body and report it to teachers, only to be sent back to their classrooms for the rest of the day.
:?:

Now is it me, or is that just fucking wrong. Imagine: "Ms Baker Ms Baker, there's a bleeding body in the boys bathroom!"
"Now now children, nothing to worry about. Go back to class. *Shoves them into class* #-o :| :whistle2:s :whistle2:k ](*,)

Thats absolutely horrible and disgusting, Maybe they didn't want the parents freaking out because there was a murder, but it's not for them to hide brutally. The parents have got a right to know. *God forbid that someone might find out* :roll:

I don't know about you but that one thing just made me sick. How the hell can you focus on a math class when you've just seen a body lying in a pool of blood on the ground, much more if your 12? Hell, I can't even focus in math class as it is... :whistle2:# 8-[

the worst thing that happened at my old high school was 2 bomb threats and a gun threat(i went to Mount Clemens High School so what would you expect lol.)

How the hell can you focus on a math class when you've just seen a body lying in a pool of blood on the ground, much more if your 12? Hell, I can't even focus in math class as it is...

My question is how do you not notice a kid in your class with blood all over his shirt and not ask any questions about it? This kid was sitting in a classroom locked down with a bunch of other kids all day and could have done it again until they finally put 2 and 2 together.

bread's done
Back