EB games return policy....there isn't one!

saadman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Alright, I can respect EB Games' return policy of no opened games due to piracy issues. However, how do they explain the fact that they will not accept a return on a gaming controller? Not only was it a gaming controller, but a simple PC gaming controller. I mean it's not like I went and bought a gamecube controller to play multiplayer for one night and bring it back. On top of this, the box wasn't even sealed when I bought it! How does one justify that?

So I go to return it and of course the fat uncomfortable looking man behind the desk refuses to take it. I ask him to justify why he cannot take back a gaming controller. He gives me the same answer, "I can't take it." I then ask about five times for him to justify why not. Of course since his mind is probably so clouded from ego of being the "game god" behind the counter he cannot give me an answer. So I look down, and what do I see, a return policy poster right on the cash. So I read it and what does it say? "All opened video games will not be accepted for return." What it seen below that? "All video game peripherals may or may not be returned based on condition and type of peripheral." So I ask to speak to the manager, which really peeves off the game god behind the counter because he has to get up. I talk to the manager and seeing no way around how this cannot be returned I get my money back.

I am convinced that every store in the world has a return policy....except EB Games.

Thats weird, I know i've returned opened games to eb before. Although... it was pso 1 & 2 for the cube so mabye it wasn't such a smart idea...

Every company has the right to have their own return policy. Their policy on controllers is for a decision on a case by case basis. If they decide it's either not a legitimate return, or not in the proper condition (or you give them an attitude), they can easily decide not to accept the return.

I see nothing wrong with this personally.

edit - And with that I'm an All-star :)

T^hey used to be really nice with returns. Once I returned an opened Mario Party 5 (with receipt) just saying I didnt like it and got a new game. The guy told me thier policy was changing in a few days though and that was nearly 2 years ago. They also took back a controller my girlfreind bought for dreamcast that was just horrible quality (made by innovation). I guess I can see how people would abuse that policy though.

man, those "game gods" really piss me off. I hate this scenario the most.

You go into any random used game store and ask for a game. The person behind the counter checks the same rack that they saw you go through about 5 times, and says, "No, we don't have _____." Wouldn't it help to check the back, check the system, whatever? Oh, and don't even ask them to do that either, because they'll go into EXTREME geek mode and tell you that they know everything in the store and NO NO NO, your game isn't there. Some guy even told me yesterday, as I was looking for Front Mission 3. "No we don't have it. I've never seen it here."

"Can you check the system, check the back?"

"NO, i know we don't have it here. I'm here all the time and i've never seen it."

I then went over there a couple of minutes later, saw the dude, didn't tell him anything, asked some a girl behind the counter for the game, then she went to the back and she made FM3 MAGICALLY appear in her hands. UGH i hate that.

And as far as the stupid return policy thing goes. I got suckered once LONG AGO into buying a "new" game at EB. By "New" I mean it was a new copy that the store clerks had opened to try out. Well, being the stupid newb that i was, I didn't even think to get one of those 14 day seal things. So when I tried to return it later that day (i didn't want it after al) they told me they couldn't refund me for a used game. I said, "this is new!!!" I showed them the receipt, but no, nothing.

I'd have to say about 70% of all game store clerks (maybe even higher), are self indulged idiots! I"m glad you got the best of them on that one with that controller.

[quote name='gizmogc']Why should they returned an open controller? How do you expect them to sell it?[/quote]

The same way they sell the so called "NEW" games re-seal it or say it was a display.

Ok, Ok we get it. You guys like to bitch about EB and Gamestop. Cornfed is right. They have their policy and it is their right and prerogative to have that policy. Sure, its somewhat crappy, but there are a lot bigger concerns in life.

The latest Incident I had was with Deux Ex: IW for Xbox at Gamestop. I bought their "new" copy that of course had no wrapping or security sticker(although it did come with several ugly price stickers that would never be removed) Because its all they had and they had no used ones. I have learned my lesson never to buy the "display"(read: employee use) copy, because that game had about a 75% chance of crashing and going back to the dashboard anytime it accessed the disc.

So I brought it in and in a nice manner explained I didn't want their employee rental copy and to give me a used one.

That copy has not crashed on me once.

Moral of the story: Never buy display copies.

You could see why they would'nt want to return something that was open. At times the stickers that say if removed item can not be returned,i got 3 used gc games,one did'nt have the sticker,the person did'nt make an issue out of it thou. It's the asshole cashier,that see u buy the game the same days,if u would walk in 5min later to exchange the game,he would say o,the sticker is missing from that one can't return it,but he just sold it to u 5min,ago, so he knows u could'nt of opened it,lol.

Just so you know, since you oh-so-wise EB bashers think you have all your facts straight, "trying out games" for employees stopped 2 years ago.. at least it did here. If we DID take them out and test them, we brought them back the next day, unmarked, and didn't sell it as new. Of course, maybe it's just the EB I worked at because it had good management.

^ I work at EB as well and we stop checkout in my district (north florida) about a year and half ago. I love how people bitch about us and lamestop on here. If you don't like our policies and prices, don't shop here. end of story.

). I guess I can see how people would abuse that policy though.

That is why the one time return was stop. Too many people abused it by buying the game and returning it on a giftcard. When you purchased, the next game it didn't ring up as final sale so people got away as using us as a blockbuster. blame your fellow peeps on this.

The same way they sell the so called "NEW" games re-seal it or say it was a display

lamest thing said in the whole post. Lets put a magic sticker on a ripped open controller. I don't even want to rant about the usage factor because of how you guys claim something is used because the case is opened, even if its never been played. (i know you guys will say the same crap you have in other rants so please don't litter this one)

All video game peripherals may or may not be returned based on condition and type of peripheral.

He obviously felt it could not be resold so he denied it. As I have been told by my district, the only way we take back opened accessories is a defective exchange of the same product within 14 days. Upon doing so, we are instructed to open the product up right there in store. If your controller didn't work, get another one and enjoy it. If it did work, you are just trying to screw the system again.

If you think EB and lamestop are the only companies that don't take back opened accessories, think wrong. I been told by a best buy employee (I know him personally) that they have the same policy as us when it comes to opened games and accessories. The only difference is you have 30 days to do it instead of our 14 days.

bread's done
Back