Nintendo Nexus - What the hell is this?

Grave_Addiction

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
Is this a fake?

nintendo_nexus_large.jpg

It's good.. but... do we really think they are going to do the following:

A. Make a non-square (unstackable), top-loading console? Possible, but un-likely.

B. Make wireless-only controller ports? Very unlikely

C. Give away a GB port instead of continuing to sell GBA players for $50?

D. Put said port on top of console to make it impossible to use if shelf above unit is close to console?

E. Biggest Problem I see.. it lists under media... Game Boy and Game Boy Advance.. they won't be allowing DS games to work on it?

Nice, but fake.

One reason why I think it's a fake is because there's only a GBA/GB port and no DS. But then again, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they included a DS player with the system.

Nintendo Nexus....
i like the name though.....
damn sexy...

man... i'd pay for a real one.... being only a modified GC... fanmade...
if anyhone decides to make a fake nexus for real...
tell me.
i will pay money for it.

While it is a fake, I think that the next generation of consoles will all be wireless. In fact, wireless controllers are said to be a key feature of the PS3.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']It's good.. but... do we really think they are going to do the following:

A. Make a non-square (unstackable), top-loading console? Possible, but un-likely.

B. Make wireless-only controller ports? Very unlikely

C. Give away a GB port instead of continuing to sell GBA players for $50?

D. Put said port on top of console to make it impossible to use if shelf above unit is close to console?

E. Biggest Problem I see.. it lists under media... Game Boy and Game Boy Advance.. they won't be allowing DS games to work on it?

Nice, but fake.[/quote]

A. I think it would be possible for them to do this. Why would you want a stackable console in the first place?

B. It would drive up the price a bit, but this would also support their claim of revolutionizing the console business.

C. Again, look at B. I think they believe the GBA isn't going to be exactly a huge seller in the next gen. so they may be doing this as an added feature.

D. That's just a small annoyance if one at all. Plus, the Gamecube was the same way.

E. You had a point with C. I think they don't want to give away a DS player, but wouldn't mind to sell a GB/GBA player.

Who the hell has the free time to design that? Plus, it's definitely a fake like others have said, however, I could see them going with an all-wireless system in the future.

If this is a fake, it looks like the used an N64 as a base to begin with. Do you guys see that, too?

It also says it's backwards compatible with the Cube.

It looks nice, but it's easily a fake or concept at best.

I think they'd still have ports for the controllers, wireless or not.

Now that you mention it, it does look like an N64 base.

I can see them packaging wireless controllers and having them be the norm.. but not even offering a wired port.. I just don't think so.

If nothing else, many people don't want to have to keep spare batteries around all the time for their controllers. Not to mention some people can have major inteference problems, and it can be really tough to figure out who's got which controller from time to time.

that close shelf thing, not a point since if your shelf was that tight you couldn't play this anyway since it seems to be toploading as was the GC which sucked a$$!!

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']If this is a fake, it looks like the used an N64 as a base to begin with. Do you guys see that, too?

It also says it's backwards compatible with the Cube.[/quote]

Yeah it looks like it.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']I can see them packaging wireless controllers and having them be the norm.. but not even offering a wired port.. I just don't think so.

If nothing else, many people don't want to have to keep spare batteries around all the time for their controllers. Not to mention some people can have major inteference problems, and it can be really tough to figure out who's got which controller from time to time.[/quote]

Well, it would be nice if they put rechargeable batteries in it and a stand to do so. That would be cool.

Remember that Nintendo has stated that the next gen will not actually replace the GameCube, but exist alongside of it, and that they have patented their version of an eye toy as well.

Based on what they have said, we should see something that "they" think does not look like a console as we traditionally know them, but will be specifically designed for a broader audience, with a larger range of features (think the success of the drumming games in Japan). Let's not even talk about Nintendo's Japan sales. I think the big N is overstating things as far as how revolutionary their next console is, but I also think that they recognize the power of the cell phone, and it feature laden components, and that they may go that route as well... but opinions are like noses...

re: the Gamecube -- I think everyone learned a big lesson with the PS1's lifespan, esp. the parent of the abandoned N64. Last I read, close to half of all PS1 sales happened after its price drop when it became Sony's budget console... that is a huge amount of $$ for such an ancient system (2x CD reader) -- imagine the profit they pulled in on all the old, cheap parts. Remember too that the Cube, when it debuted, was made from off-the-shelf parts, so all money made since launch has been gravy. That is why the big N ain't worried about Mr. Gates -- they can sell half as many Cubes and still make more money on their system than Mr. Gates.

And lets not forget the largest selling gamer device ever, the GameBoy. With the PSP looking to fetch a high price, if Nintendo continues to hang onto the low end market and diversify their offerings to appeal to older age demographics (like what they did with the GBASP), they should easily be able to hold onto their lead.

hell yeah, it's old, a user on the ign boards made that. I can't remember his name, but there used to be a video to demonstrate it. it's still pretty good a year and a half later :) his name was paladin69 if I am not mistaken

I saw tht prototype in EGM about 3 years ago as a possible gamecube design before the GC was out. Nothing but a clever idea.

All I want in the next console is wireless controllers with rechargeable batteries ala the love child of a wavebird and a gba sp. If it had that I would buy it, no questions asked.

[quote name='donssword']Remember that Nintendo has stated that the next gen will not actually replace the GameCube, but exist alongside of it, and that they have patented their version of an eye toy as well.

Based on what they have said, we should see something that "they" think does not look like a console as we traditionally know them, but will be specifically designed for a broader audience, with a larger range of features (think the success of the drumming games in Japan). Let's not even talk about Nintendo's Japan sales. I think the big N is overstating things as far as how revolutionary their next console is, but I also think that they recognize the power of the cell phone, and it feature laden components, and that they may go that route as well... but opinions are like noses...

re: the Gamecube -- I think everyone learned a big lesson with the PS1's lifespan, esp. the parent of the abandoned N64. Last I read, close to half of all PS1 sales happened after its price drop when it became Sony's budget console... that is a huge amount of $$ for such an ancient system (2x CD reader) -- imagine the profit they pulled in on all the old, cheap parts. Remember too that the Cube, when it debuted, was made from off-the-shelf parts, so all money made since launch has been gravy. That is why the big N ain't worried about Mr. Gates -- they can sell half as many Cubes and still make more money on their system than Mr. Gates.

And lets not forget the largest selling gamer device ever, the GameBoy. With the PSP looking to fetch a high price, if Nintendo continues to hang onto the low end market and diversify their offerings to appeal to older age demographics (like what they did with the GBASP), they should easily be able to hold onto their lead.[/quote]

Several things wrong here. The PS1 was hugely successful and dominated all three major markets at its height of popularity. The same cannot be said for the GameCube and thus it is highly unlikely it will continue to be supported a minute longer than necessary, just as the N64 was dropped with little ceremony compared to the effort to sustain the SNES.

The GameCube can hardly be described as made of off the shelf parts. In fact there is hardly a standard item among its primary components. The sound and graphics functionality were produced from scratch by Artx prior to their acquisition by ATI, the CPU was significantly customized by IBM to optimize it for 32-bit gaming demands (64-bit registers altered to hold dual 32-bit values for SIMD operations), the drive is a custom design including proprietary DRM firmware from Matsushita, and the main RAM is a very uncommon specialized product. The product was designed with a low cost in mind but not off the shelf.

What the GC has failed in worst of all is third party publishing revenue. This has been the #1 sourcce of profits in Nintendo's entire video game career. Without those revenues Nintendo has no reason to keep the platform going. The handful of big hits tied to it can very easily be ported to their newer machine or that of another company, just as the N64 Zelda has now transcended its birthplace.

The Xbox comes much closer to meeting this description. A NVIDIA motherboard chipset coupled with a GeForce 4 would provide a very close basis for making an Xbox compatible system and would in fact have much silicon in common with the Xbox. The remaining component can be had at any Fry's: DDR RAM, IDE hard drive, IDE DVD drive, etc.

I would be willing to bet that any patents Nintendo has for an EyeToy sort of accessory are very specific to their implementation just as those for the EyeToy are themselves. Intel was bundling similar software with their webcams seven years ago and several companies had similar products for use with the Amiga computers in the 80's. Once you have a cheap gen-lock system everything else is fairly easy.

As for Ps1 sales, which price drop do you mean? $299? $249? $199? Or dou you mean the introduction of the PSone model? While this unit is profitable at $50 retail don't assume it is a cash cow in of itself. If it were viable to sell it for $30 Sony would. The big money is always in the software. Coming as close as possible to giving away the hardware serves to make the software continue to have a market. As mentioned above, without those third party software revenues it doesn't matter how cheap the hardware can be offered.

Yeah, I saw that in an EGM about a year ago. And for the record, I like top loading consoles more than doors. I didn't know you could scratch a game inside the PS2 that way (well, that was a long time ago, just saying).

I prefer doors because you can place them in a much smaller space. Not worrying about having enough space to open the door really makes placement easier. Besides, the PS2 only scratched discs when it was setup vertically. Ironic isn't it?

[quote name='donssword']While it is a fake, I think that the next generation of consoles will all be wireless. In fact, wireless controllers are said to be a key feature of the PS3.[/quote]

I do not agree with this. I believe wired controllers will continue to be the mainstream next generation. They will say wireless controllers for a premium as usual.

I like my wired controllers they have the rumble feature and no batteries!

That's probably some industrial design major's project. I have to say it's one sexay piece of hardware. That's like almost iMac worthy as far as generational jump in design thinking. Even though it's fake as hell if I were a console maker I would give that guy a f'ing job.

[quote name='epobirs']

Several things wrong here. The PS1 was hugely successful and dominated all three major markets at its height of popularity. The same cannot be said for the GameCube and thus it is highly unlikely it will continue to be supported a minute longer than necessary, just as the N64 was dropped with little ceremony compared to the effort to sustain the SNES.

The GameCube can hardly be described as made of off the shelf parts. In fact there is hardly a standard item among its primary components. The sound and graphics functionality were produced from scratch by Artx prior to their acquisition by ATI, the CPU was significantly customized by IBM to optimize it for 32-bit gaming demands (64-bit registers altered to hold dual 32-bit values for SIMD operations), the drive is a custom design including proprietary DRM firmware from Matsushita, and the main RAM is a very uncommon specialized product. The product was designed with a low cost in mind but not off the shelf.

What the GC has failed in worst of all is third party publishing revenue. This has been the #1 sourcce of profits in Nintendo's entire video game career. Without those revenues Nintendo has no reason to keep the platform going. The handful of big hits tied to it can very easily be ported to their newer machine or that of another company, just as the N64 Zelda has now transcended its birthplace.

The Xbox comes much closer to meeting this description. A NVIDIA motherboard chipset coupled with a GeForce 4 would provide a very close basis for making an Xbox compatible system and would in fact have much silicon in common with the Xbox. The remaining component can be had at any Fry's: DDR RAM, IDE hard drive, IDE DVD drive, etc.

I would be willing to bet that any patents Nintendo has for an EyeToy sort of accessory are very specific to their implementation just as those for the EyeToy are themselves. Intel was bundling similar software with their webcams seven years ago and several companies had similar products for use with the Amiga computers in the 80's. Once you have a cheap gen-lock system everything else is fairly easy.

As for Ps1 sales, which price drop do you mean? $299? $249? $199? Or dou you mean the introduction of the PSone model? While this unit is profitable at $50 retail don't assume it is a cash cow in of itself. If it were viable to sell it for $30 Sony would. The big money is always in the software. Coming as close as possible to giving away the hardware serves to make the software continue to have a market. As mentioned above, without those third party software revenues it doesn't matter how cheap the hardware can be offered.[/quote]

I never claimed that GCN sales were hot, as u seem to try and dispel in your first para. The rest you are correct on -- I was generalizing, and you are being more precise.

I hear what u r saying about software sales being more important that hardware -- we all know console gaming operates on the same marketing principals as the bGillete razor, however, there is no denying that hardware sales have a direct impact on software sales, and when u drop a console's price (in this case, to $50), you are having a tremendous impact on the installed user base numbers, thus increasing the sales of software.

In my face and all that ;-)

100% fake, but it looks awesome. maybe nintendo could get some ideas from this?

i would like to see the gb/gba port included into the system

[quote name='donssword']
I never claimed that GCN sales were hot, as u seem to try and dispel in your first para. The rest you are correct on -- I was generalizing, and you are being more precise.

I hear what u r saying about software sales being more important that hardware -- we all know console gaming operates on the same marketing principals as the bGillete razor, however, there is no denying that hardware sales have a direct impact on software sales, and when u drop a console's price (in this case, to $50), you are having a tremendous impact on the installed user base numbers, thus increasing the sales of software.

In my face and all that ;-)[/quote]

The problem is the dropping hardware prices doesn't help if the hardware wasn't a big success previously. There is no case of a failed or lesser console being turned around by a price cut. You can boost sales for a brief period among those who'd been waiting for just such an event but this doesn't improve the machine's overall market standing.

The $50 PSone was a big success because it was building on an existing big success. If prie cuts could turn around a technically strong but otherwise failed platform we'd still be able to buy the Dreamcast at all major retailers today. It could be offered as a $75 product without taking a loss and would of course blow away the PSone in every regard. (Including running PSone games.) That didn't happen because there was no momentum to sustain the product's survival regardless of its virtues. It might be interesting to see if somebody like Majesco could do something akin to the Genesis 3 but there doesn't appear to be anyone interested who also has the capital.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I think it would be possible for them to do this. Why would you want a stackable console in the first place?[/quote]

It makes life easier, especially for people without much space. While I was in a shoebox of a dorm room, I had to stack my consoles in order to fit them all on my desk, and the slight curvature of the xbox made it an awkard pile.

[quote name='epobirs']The problem is the dropping hardware prices doesn't help if the hardware wasn't a big success previously. There is no case of a failed or lesser console being turned around by a price cut. You can boost sales for a brief period among those who'd been waiting for just such an event but this doesn't improve the machine's overall market standing.

The $50 PSone was a big success because it was building on an existing big success. If prie cuts could turn around a technically strong but otherwise failed platform we'd still be able to buy the Dreamcast at all major retailers today. [/quote]

Yup -- I never said otherwise.

bread's done
Back