Staff member
Feedback
5 (100%)
Ribbit King
for GCN and PS2 (GCN reviewed)
1-4 players
Price: $19.99
2 GCN discs

The story of Ribbit King is about a carpenter called Scooter who must win the frolf championship to save his planet from power failure. The game is like golf. You launch a frog into a hole in order to get points and go to the next hole. The more shots you take the less the points. However that is not the only way you get points. Throughout the course are things like trampolines, bubbles, and flies which give you points for using them. The more things you hit that give you points the score multiples by the point value. For example you hit a bubble worth 100 points after hitting 3 other things you get 300 points instead. at the end of 4 courses there is a bonus of 100 or 200 for various things like who's frog swam the most. A lot of times me winning depended on these bonuses. The game only has 20 courses but makes up for it by putting the starting point and hole at different places for each character you take on so they never get boring. The graphics and control are average and there are some glitches like your character standing on air or a frog part going though something but that does not effect game play. the cinema scenes are plenty and funny in this game as well. Some downsides are to see any part of the course it has to be from a sky view and you have to pick English or Spanish every time you turn on the game. Other than that everything was fine.

8.5 out of 10

s23380_gc_7.jpg

Elephants are one of many things you can get points from.

s23380_gc_4.jpg

The only reason I can think of a giant diamond above the holes is so you can spot it better.

s23380_gc_1.jpg

This is what it looks like when setting up your shot.

For more info vist www.ribbitking.com

To purchase Ribbit King click below.

PS2 http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=281018

GCN http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=220436

ive been wanting to pick this up....but i know it'll only go cheaper if anything....so i'll stick to CC for my videogame buying until this 4.99 deal is dead and gone...but this review HAS made me want this game at least a little bit more

[quote name='trustcompany1013']by the way, that poll isnt working[/quote]

I just tried it and it worked for me. I picked great.

[quote name='Acrylic']Was this game made by the same people that made Animal Crossing? Cuz the models look the same.[/quote]

No. Scooter is the only guy who looks AC like. Everybody else looks different. Also it was made by Jamsworks.

If you're looking for Doom 3 or Final Fantasy XII, you're going to be disappointed in Ribbit King. If you're looking for a light, fun and entertaining game, you may very well enjoy Ribbit King.

I don't think that adults are necessarily the target audience. The registration card in the manual specifically tells you to get your parents' permission before writing your name and address. I enjoy it for a little bit now and then but my 5 year old loves it.

A budget game designed for children with obvious visual glitches, a lack of courses and the other problems you stated... I'd find it hard to believe that's an 8.5/10 game.

Nice review. I actually thought about trying this game before your review. It has helped in swaying me the other direction...probably saving me some cash. Thanks!

It's not really a review, it's mostly just a description of the game. Only the last few sentences really critique the game itself:

The graphics and control are average and there are some glitches ..... Other than that everything was fine.

and this doesn't sound like it warrants an 8.5/10. if your review is average, then it's a 7/10 at best. I'm not trying to be an ass but since you're soliciting opinions and this is an open forum I thought I'd give you my 2 cents.

[quote name='bmulligan']It's not really a review, it's mostly just a description of the game. Only the last few sentences really critique the game itself:

The graphics and control are average and there are some glitches ..... Other than that everything was fine.

and this doesn't sound like it warrants an 8.5/10. if your review is average, then it's a 7/10 at best. I'm not trying to be an ass but since you're soliciting opinions and this is an open forum I thought I'd give you my 2 cents.[/quote]

His review may be missing a few things, but it is a review nonetheless. He explains what you do and describes what the game is like, then he evaluates the graphics, controls, and replayability. Other than him not saying how fun the game is and leaving out elaboration here and there, he did a good job. I'm guessing that because he gave the game an 8.5 and not a 7, he must've at least had some fun with it.

Nice review.

A budget game designed for children with obvious visual glitches, a lack of courses and the other problems you stated... I'd find it hard to believe that's an 8.5/10 game.

I own the GC version which is more polished than the PS2 demo (which had a sluggish framerate). Let me tell you there are no lack of courses or collectables in this game. There's even rotatable trophies ala SSBM. It's also one of the few games children and adultls like. Hell, it's one of the few games my girlfriend will play.

I love it for the Japanese cuteness, and funny cinemas. She likes it beacuse you don't have to be game guru to enjoy it.

8.5 in on the mark! Good review BTW.

This is really a great game. Ive been addicted to it for a month already. Really makes me want an Animal Crossing sequel...

bread's done
Back