What do you think is the best 2-D game ever?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
As much as I love Viewtiful Joe, Tetris, and Ms. Pac Man, I think Yoshi's Island is the best 2-d game ever. What do you think?

Hmm...Yoshi's is damn fine. If I'm allowed to cheat I would say Super Mario All-Stars. Otherwise, Castlevania:SOTN is definitely up there. So is Legend of Zelda:A Link to the Past. I'd probably say Link to the Past.

I'd go with Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages.. but it's hard to ignore Link to the Past, Castlevania, SMB3, Mega Man 2, hell, even the early Final Fantasies I guess count as 2D.

[quote name='legion_stxds']SMB3, Legend of Zeld: Link to the past, or blaster master.[/quote]

I recently got Blaster Master out and started playing it again. I had forgotten how sweet that game is.

2-D is too generic. That's like saying name the best 3-D game ever. Every game used to be 2-D like 98% of all games now are 3-D.

- Platformer: Yoshi's Island
- RPG: Final Fantasy II (US FF II)
- Action game: Castlevania, the original one.
- Shooter: Xevious
- Puzzler: Tetris
- Sports: EA NHL series, the 16 bit NHL's were better hockey games than the Maddens were football games.
- Racing: Outrun
- Maze chase: Ms. Pac Man

If you're going to take one game out of the thousands of 2-D games ever made the answer is simple.

Tetris, no other game is as widely accepted, sold, played, recognized etc. than Tetris. It is what every "major" game with high production values, budgets, marketing and the like will never be... an icon playable by any age, race or culture. You can give Tetris to any person on Earth and they "get" it the second it's picked up. When Satoru Iwata talks about simplicity in game play? When he wants more games to be enjoyed by people? He wants the next Tetris.

Unfortunately the marketplace now has probably shot down the "next" Tetris as a design document. I don't think any publisher on Earth will come close to such an iconic game in the next decade.

[quote name='greatwhitedope']flashback or space quest[/quote]

Good lord.. space quest brings back memories. I miss the old Sierra games, King's Quest, Space Quest and Quest for Glory were amazing series.

On a related note though (for anyone who misses them or wants to try them out):

http://www.agdinteractive.com/

They're recreating the old Sierra games with updated sound and graphics.. right now King's Quest I & II are available as freeware.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='greatwhitedope']flashback or space quest[/quote]

Good lord.. space quest brings back memories. I miss the old Sierra games, King's Quest, Space Quest and Quest for Glory were amazing series.

They're recreating the old Sierra games with updated sound and graphics.. right now King's Quest I & II are available as freeware.[/quote]

That's kickass. I hope they do Space Quest next, I loved that series. King's Quest was good, but for me it was all about the Space Quest. Then Sierra had to turn their back on their origins. I was also a huge fan of the LucasArts adventure games. The Monkey Islands were great, and Sam and Max is still one of the best games ever.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='greatwhitedope']flashback or space quest[/quote]

They're recreating the old Sierra games with updated sound and graphics.. right now King's Quest I & II are available as freeware.[/quote]

Thanks for the info......all the old Sierra games were my favorites.....wow, I had almost forgotten how much I loved them! Especially Quest for Glory.

I also really liked Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max and the Indiana Jones comp. games. Those were the days....

whoa, thats awesome. i never really did get into kings quest at all, but i think youve just given me a reason to.

yea sq1, 2, and 3 were magnificent, as were the early police quests, but after that i think sierra got too involved and jacked it all up. IMO anyway.

Micheal Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City

Just fookin' w/ ya :whistle2:D Seriously, I'd have to say either Super Mario World/Yoshi's Island/SMB 3 or Sonic 2. That defined my childhood right there.

Dammit. Why do developers think that people don't want point and click adventure games? I know it won't sell as much as GTA3 but I believe they can still sell.

Bionic Commando was a blast!

Does anyone rememebr near the end of the game, when the guy who looked like Hitler's head exploded? (Communication was shown with talking heads in the game, like Metal Gear)

I thought it was the most amazing thing thing at the time.

[quote name='defender']awesome...I am the winner since no one else has mentioned what is easily the best 2d game!

Super Metroid[/quote]

Yeah, I thought about Super Metroid, but I thought that Castelvania:SOTN took Super Metroid and improved on it in pretty much every way.

I love Castlevania: SotN but my all time favorite 2D game is Super Mario Brothers 3. I put tons of hours into that game when I was younger.

[quote name='defender']awesome...I am the winner since no one else has mentioned what is easily the best 2d game!

Super Metroid[/quote]

I scrolled through and was wondering if anyone was going to mention that. It is def. the best 2D game

impossible question...so many good games...i could prob. narrow it down to may favorite 10 games then i would feel i was short changing some

yoshi's island, super metroid, and zelda:lttp

viewtiful joe isnt really 2D. its a side-scrolling cel-shaded 3D game

:applause: Well done with the remake of King's Quest. I really hope they do the police quest games. They were very ahead of their time. (in my opinion)

My vote for best 2-D game has to be Mega Man 2.

[quote name='Explosion']yoshi's island, super metroid, and zelda:lttp

viewtiful joe isnt really 2D. its a side-scrolling cel-shaded 3D game[/quote]

I disagree. While the graphics might be 3d, the gameplay is definitely only played in 2 dimensions.

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='Explosion']yoshi's island, super metroid, and zelda:lttp

viewtiful joe isnt really 2D. its a side-scrolling cel-shaded 3D game[/quote]

I disagree. While the graphics might be 3d, the gameplay is definitely only played in 2 dimensions.[/quote]

That's called 3D on rails which is not the same as 2D.

[quote name='KingDox']Bangi-o for the DC. Is the best 2-d game.[/quote]

Thats a shooter, right? Its one of the few games for DC i havent played...

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='KingDox']Bangi-o for the DC. Is the best 2-d game.[/quote]

Thats a shooter, right? Its one of the few games for DC i havent played...[/quote]

Fun game, I own it as well. Nothing quite like being an 1/8 of an inch from death and then responding back with a barrage of 400 homing missles :twisted:

[quote name='Tromack']Dammit. Why do developers think that people don't want point and click adventure games? I know it won't sell as much as GTA3 but I believe they can still sell.[/quote]

I suppose part of the problem is, there not usually overly long. That's one of the main reasons Ico didn't sell well right?, it was a big rental.

[quote name='friedram']X-Men Vs. Street Fighter - Sega Saturn (4 M Cart)
Marvel Vs. Street Fighter - Sega Saturn (4 M Cart)[/quote]

X-Men Vs. Street Fighter rules. No load times, killer graphics, and a quick pace make it one of my favorites.

castlevania(nes) tho there are some great 2b shooters as well.

I also love the Ys games, (and curious to see how Ys vi ark of napishtim looks in 3d)

bread's done
Back