- - - - -

This is getting ridiculous (USPS delivery time) and a postage question

#1 YoshiFan1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9896 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:56 AM

Is anyone else noticing that it is taking the USPS longer than ever to deliver items. I sent out something that was only 1 state away and took 8 days to be delivered (First Class). Another item was sent across the country and was just delivered today when tomorrow, it will be 2 weeks since I mailed the item (again First Class).

I know once in a while they mess up with a delivery (like the time it took 3 weeks for someone to receive an item because they misrouted it) but I can't believe how long it is taking?

Also, today at the Post Office, I saw someone bring in a bunch of pre-paid postage envelopes (from a machine, not printed from online) with yesterday's date on them and the clerk refused to accept them saying they have to have today's date on them. Does online postage like through Paypal have the date printed on it as well? I'm probably going to switch over to online postage this summer and hate the idea of having to print out the postage the day I mail the item if it does print out the date on that as well.

#2 wbc1228   huh?! CAGiversary!   2891 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:06 AM

It is not just you either. I mailed a package 2 weeks ago. It took 9 days after I made shipment before the delivery confirmation became trackable. That was a little scary. I almost thought they lost my package.

The online postage on paypal does have a date on it. Don't know if it is a problem if I mailed it out a day or two later since I usually just drop my stuff off at one of those blue usps box.

#3 wubb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   20114 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:15 AM

Wow that is slow. Last time I mailed stuff was about a month ago and it seemed to be normal delivery times then. (2-3 days for 1st class.)

I can understand them refusing to take a package back dated. Many places use the postage date to determine if it should be eligible for a rebate or any number of other things. Plus it sets the USPS up to look even slower. But I would bet that most clerks would let it slide. I would be really surprised if they'd return to sender over that if you just dropped it in a collection box, but I guess it could happen. I don't know why they don't set those labels up to be good for a week (or whatever) time frame and just postmark them like they do most other pieces of mail, but I guess it's a little more efficient to skip that step.

As wbc said PayPal labels do have a date on it. You can set it to today or today+1, etc.

#4 YoshiFan1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9896 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:22 AM

That's good if you can set it for the next day then since I usually package stuff the night before I go to the Post Office.

I think that was part of the reason the clerk didn't want to accept it (how it makes them look slow). He is strict though (has no tolerance for anyone who doesn't know what they are doing), but I like when he is working because he is very fast (almost twice as fast as other clerks) and doesn't have a problem with me because I have everything all ready to go right when I walk into the post office.

#5 gaelan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3138 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:51 AM

i mailed out a prima guide via media mail usps...took 22 days to arrive. the buyer gave me positive but wasn't happy with the shipping time. he knew upfront about the media mail option but 22 days is pretty damn long.

#6 iazybandit   DCEmu Reviews Webmaster CAGiversary!   1264 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:53 AM

i mailed out a prima guide via media mail usps...took 22 days to arrive. the buyer gave me positive but wasn't happy with the shipping time. he knew upfront about the media mail option but 22 days is pretty damn long.

Media Mail is known to take long. If you go to Half.com, it says that packages sent via Media Mail can take as long as 30 days.

#7 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   3650 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:56 AM

I just sent some guides with media mail and they only took 8 days. So everything is all wacky. I have had priority mail take over 3 weeks one time. These instances are rare but do happen.

#8 m0dem   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   887 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:04 AM

I hate assholes at the post office who think they are tough shit saying that you cant mail that because its 1 day after you paid for it? Who the Fuck cares you still paid for it

#9 puternerd   Sex nuts & retard strong CAGiversary!   491 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:01 AM

A guy I know works for the PO driving the semi between the DC and the airport. He said that when the gas prices jump up they hold the mail back a bit to get a full load on the trucks and planes. Don't know if this is true for sure but seems plausible.

#10 W.arner1281   Pissing off customers CAGiversary!   3053 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

W.arner1281

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:54 AM

About the whole printing the labels the night before thing...

I was doing that and then I got a letter from the district Post Office in our area. Said they noticed I had dropped off a package that had the date of one day prior and since they were nice they would deliver it this time, but if they catch it again, it will be returned to sender. Guess things have to be printed the day of or somehow set to print the next days date (I don't know how to do this on Paypal... anyone care to inform me?)

#11 iazybandit   DCEmu Reviews Webmaster CAGiversary!   1264 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:24 PM

About the whole printing the labels the night before thing...

I was doing that and then I got a letter from the district Post Office in our area. Said they noticed I had dropped off a package that had the date of one day prior and since they were nice they would deliver it this time, but if they catch it again, it will be returned to sender. Guess things have to be printed the day of or somehow set to print the next days date (I don't know how to do this on Paypal... anyone care to inform me?)

Why not just print it out right before you go to the post office? It'll only take a couple minutes. Just package the box and then when its time to go to the PO, just print out the label and slap it on.

#12 GizmoGC   I love Cheese CAGiversary!   12395 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:35 PM

Why not just print it out right before you go to the post office? It'll only take a couple minutes. Just package the box and then when its time to go to the PO, just print out the label and slap it on.

Some people dropoff packages on there lunch breaks (i.e. have jobs). Kinda tough to take up early and type/print out a handful of postage receipts,then stick them on, then get ready for work.

#13 TheBlueWizard   Indeed, O'Neill CAGiversary!   1038 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

TheBlueWizard

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:00 PM

It is not just you either. I mailed a package 2 weeks ago. It took 9 days after I made shipment before the delivery confirmation became trackable. That was a little scary. I almost thought they lost my package.

Delivery confirmation is just that, delivery confirmation. There is no tracking feature that shows where the package is at any point. That's why its called delivery confirmation. If you want tracking, use FedEx or UPS.

TBW

#14 wbc1228   huh?! CAGiversary!   2891 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:04 PM

Delivery confirmation is just that, delivery confirmation. There is no tracking feature that shows where the package is at any point. That's why its called delivery confirmation. If you want tracking, use FedEx or UPS.

TBW

I know but I didn't expect usps first class to take 9 days to go across 2 states.

#15 Kayden   Banned Banned   17673 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:25 PM

I can top this. My wallet was mailed to me using my address off my ID. It got stuck in the mail for THREE WEEKS because they 'couldn't find my address'. The can give me every fucking bill under the sun and half a forest worth of junk mail from credit card companies, but the one fucking thing I actually want and they suddenly forget where I live.

#16 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4399 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, I sent something out on the 4th of this month from NY to CA and it took 15 days to get there! Most of my other stuff is taking about a week. It used to take around 3 days or so but it seems they've gotten a lot slower.

#17 crowbb   Watch out for snakes CAGiversary!   1008 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:54 PM

I am a postal clerk. Most likely it was mail printed from a postal meter. That stuff MUST be mailed on the same day. If not the clerk has every right to not only send it back but make them put new postage on it.

PVI labels (the printed ones you can do yourself or get from a post office) also must be mailed the same day.

This is done for revenue protection otherwise people would just reuse labels. I believe there are other reasons but I forget.

This stuff can sneak through from time to time, but if we catch someone more than once we can take their postal meter away. It IS postal property and bosses tend to be a bit unhappy when some employee gets their postal meter rescinded because they didn't want to take their lazy butt to the post office on the same day.

#18 crowbb   Watch out for snakes CAGiversary!   1008 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:59 PM

As for the slowness I can't really say why that kind of stuff happens most of the time since I work in a regular PO not a distribution center. Once it gets to us it gets delivered the same day. We do get a LOT of stuff sent to the wrong town every day. We just ship it back out and hope it gets there the 2nd time. And if someone is lazy and doesn't cross out the barcodes our machines put on the mail it will keep coming back. Some clerks are very very lazy. There's also customer error sometimes. There is this one guy who is always sending official looking mail to a college in Maine. He puts some kind of barcode on his return address. Apparently this barcode is read by our machines as the town I work in because we keep getting these and they often get delayed for a week or more by continually coming back to us.

#19 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4399 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:43 PM

I am a postal clerk. Most likely it was mail printed from a postal meter. That stuff MUST be mailed on the same day. If not the clerk has every right to not only send it back but make them put new postage on it.

PVI labels (the printed ones you can do yourself or get from a post office) also must be mailed the same day.

Well I printed out the labels from Paypal, so they all had a delivery confirmation number on them. I threw them in a blue bin outside my office the same day.

#20 dastly75   Resident Squirrel CAGiversary!   3561 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

besides the absence of tracking, I loved usps, and now it's slow, damn it all

maybe they're searching and x-raying everything now so that we all aren't participating in "terrorist activity"

#21 YoshiFan1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9896 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:47 AM

I actually had a talk with a different clerk today about this. She asked how me about how I thought things were with the postal service and I told her about the slow delivery times. She said specifically for Florida and California, delivery takes longer to those 2 states (she didn't know why this is). She even told me how something she sent 1st class to Florida took 8 days when it normally should take 2 - 3. Now that she mentioned that, it does seem that the majority of items that take longer to get delivered are going to those 2 states, especially California.

#22 akilshohen   Akilla!!! CAGiversary!   2285 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

akilshohen

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:56 AM

for some reason, some media mail that's going to a town 6 miles away from me is taking too long to go there. My buyer is being impaitent, but he can kick rocks because the USPS and ebay support told me media mail takes longer than usual. Plus we already left each other feedback.

#23 dastly75   Resident Squirrel CAGiversary!   3561 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:05 PM

I actually had a talk with a different clerk today about this. She asked how me about how I thought things were with the postal service and I told her about the slow delivery times. She said specifically for Florida and California, delivery takes longer to those 2 states (she didn't know why this is). She even told me how something she sent 1st class to Florida took 8 days when it normally should take 2 - 3. Now that she mentioned that, it does seem that the majority of items that take longer to get delivered are going to those 2 states, especially California.

this sucks esp. when you're waiting to receive an item from california and you live in FL

#24 bluekeith75   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   246 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

bluekeith75

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:11 PM

The usps is really getting absurd. I live in ohio and had a package delivered first class to california in 2 days and another to illinois take 9. It seems as if ever since they raised the prices the service got worse.

#25 wubb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   20114 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:13 PM

Guess things have to be printed the day of or somehow set to print the next days date (I don't know how to do this on Paypal... anyone care to inform me?)

There is a drop down box for the mail date. It defaults to the current date, but if you drop the box down you can choose between the next 3 or 4 days IIRC.

Here is PayPal's help page on this:

https://www.paypal.c...age=_home&flow=

I tend to be on the anal side with this and will choose Monday's date even if I'm printing the label on a Sunday (for example.) (For some reason PayPal defaults to today's date even if today isn't a mailing day... :roll: )

#26 mtxbass1   This space for rent. CAGiversary!   11092 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:26 PM

Has anyone else wondered why a company like UPS or Fedex hasn't made a bid to take over the USPS?

One thing I've noticed about those companies is this. If you pay for overnight service, it always gets delivered, no matter what, on time. If UPS/Fedex doesn't deliver, then they refund your money. They have some of the most efficient systems around for delivering packages (for the most part).

#27 wbc1228   huh?! CAGiversary!   2891 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:17 PM

Has anyone else wondered why a company like UPS or Fedex hasn't made a bid to take over the USPS?

One thing I've noticed about those companies is this. If you pay for overnight service, it always gets delivered, no matter what, on time. If UPS/Fedex doesn't deliver, then they refund your money. They have some of the most efficient systems around for delivering packages (for the most part).

Take over the government?!?
That would be anarchy!
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

#28 iazybandit   DCEmu Reviews Webmaster CAGiversary!   1264 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:30 PM

USPS is run by the government. FedEx/UPS are independent companies. Thats like saying why dont one of us CAGers take over Microsoft. Its impossible.

#29 mtxbass1   This space for rent. CAGiversary!   11092 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:42 PM

USPS is run by the government. FedEx/UPS are independent companies. Thats like saying why dont one of us CAGers take over Microsoft. Its impossible.

Correct. But why not establish something to make a run at the postal service?

#30 YoshiFan1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9896 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:55 PM

They should, if their rates were more competitive I would switch to UPS or Fed Ex. It's too expensive now for most things especially with that delivery surcharge of around $1.50. It was $8.43 for me to ship a 1/2 pound package (box and Gameboy Game) through UPS when I could have mailed the same game for a little over $3 with insurance and DC 1st class through the Postal Service.