Help. Getting broadband.

videogamejunkie

CAGiversary!
1. Should I get DSL or Cable?

2. How can I have multiple computer/ps2/xbox all hooked up without running miles of cable through my house?

thanks

DSL isn't even an option unless they build a station in your back yard.

If you have a lot of money laying around you can set up a wireless network which wouldn't have miles of cable, i know xbox has a wireless kit but i don't think ps2 does so you'll have to at least have wires for the ps2. Prepare to spend quite a bit though, routers cards and such will be like 300ish more if you have more computers.

you can always get a cheap wired router and one long cable. you can just run it down the hall when you want to play (or drill a hole in the wall/floor), and just connect it to whichever system you want to use right then.

I did that before i went wireless, and it worked fine for the price!!

I saw something on techtv were the guy plug something into an electric oultet and that somehow allowed the connection to move around the house!?

yeah I remember hearing about that network through your exsisting electrical wiring, but never heard how it worked..... I never quite understood how it would since usually networking cables and electrical wiring don't get along so well

[quote name='extzed']yeah I remember hearing about that network through your exsisting electrical wiring, but never heard how it worked..... I never quite understood how it would since usually networking cables and electrical wiring don't get along so well[/quote]

from what i hear, it's really slow compared to the other ways.... not really suitable for online gaming...

Linksys makes an device that works with PS2 or XBOX. I've used it for both and it works great.

You could buy a wireless router (about 70), connect your computer to it directly with ethernet cable, then buy the wireless adapter for your game system (another 70).

So-you are looking at $140 or so to do a basic setup.

Of course, you could wire up everything for a lot cheaper. You just need a wired router ($30) and a lot of cable. But wireless is much nicer.

get dsl. its the best way to go for the price.. i get a 3mbps connection for 55 a month.. i bought a $20 microsoft reuter at best buy, and a 20 100 foot cord to run it onto my other computers...

The answer is highly dependent on where you live and what is offered in that locale.

As for alternatives to stringing CAT5 cable throughout your house there are three choices.

First is using the household phones lines. I used this for several years and it works fine if your home's wiring is done correctly so that it cleanly coexists with voice and DSL functions. The offical term for this is HPNA (Home Phoneline Networking Association) The latest generation 3.0 is slated to offer speeds over 100 megabits per second. Read more at http://www.homepna.org/

You can also use your electrical lines. This is more popular in older homes that may lack phone jacks in almost every room as is common today. The current speed for HomePlug is 14 megabits per second. This is substantially better than any broadband service you'll receive any time soon and adequate for computer to computer operations, too. Go to http://www.homeplug.org/ for full details.

The last option but increasingly the most popular is some form of 802.11 wireless. If all of your games systems that need broadband access are in the same room you can easily get them all connected with a wireless bridge and a hub or switch to share the bridge. Many wireless routers have at least four switch ports built-in and support a bridge mode. In some cases these are less expensive than a dedicated bridge and more versatile since it can be pressed into service as a router if your main unit dies.

[quote name='organicow'][quote name='extzed']yeah I remember hearing about that network through your exsisting electrical wiring, but never heard how it worked..... I never quite understood how it would since usually networking cables and electrical wiring don't get along so well[/quote]

from what i hear, it's really slow compared to the other ways.... not really suitable for online gaming...[/quote]

Actually, speed is not an issue for online gaming. A 128K ISDN line will do the job just fine so long as the pricing isn't a problem. It's latency that creates problems. This is why satellite connections are inherently handicapped for online gaming. The trip to LEO and back creates an unavoidable delay with ping times always well into the three digits.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='organicow'][quote name='extzed']yeah I remember hearing about that network through your exsisting electrical wiring, but never heard how it worked..... I never quite understood how it would since usually networking cables and electrical wiring don't get along so well[/quote]

from what i hear, it's really slow compared to the other ways.... not really suitable for online gaming...[/quote]

Actually, speed is not an issue for online gaming. A 128K ISDN line will do the job just fine so long as the pricing isn't a problem. It's latency that creates problems. This is why satellite connections are inherently handicapped for online gaming. The trip to LEO and back creates an unavoidable delay with ping times always well into the three digits.[/quote]

I stand humbly corrected. :lol:

I have 3mbs DSL and online gaming is perfect...I get no lag...unless its a server problem...I can run 14-16 on a RS3 server with no lag...Keep in mind the access point on your xbox ethernet is has only enough bandwith for 3mbs per second...so it doesnt matter if you have a connection with more...it will still be the same...and keep in my DSL never boggs down...unlike cable

get dsl. the speed is guaranteed (cable isnt, because cable's speed is very dependant on how many people in your area are using it) and dsl also seems to work better (i know from personal experience) with wired/wireless networks than cable when the connection is being used on more than one computer.

heres how to use your console in a wireless broadband network:

1.) get a 802.11g (or b) wireless router
2.) get an ethernet bridge (thats compatible with 802.11b)
3.) get a network adapter for the ps2
4.) plug your wireless router into a your dsl or cable modem and into the ethernet port of your computer
5.) take a short (6ft or even shorter should be fine) ethernet cord and plug one end into the ethernet port of the ethernet bridge and the other end into the console
6.) run any software thats needed on the computer (included with the router and sometimes the ethernet bridge).

[quote name='Explosion']get dsl. the speed is guaranteed (cable isnt, because cable's speed is very dependant on how many people in your area are using it)[/quote]

Wrong, what do you think happens to DSL when everyone meets up at the ISP????

If you have a choice, i'd go with cable. You may be unlucky though and have a crappy cable co in your area though, your best bet is to check www.broadbandreports.com and see what others have to say in your area about the dsl and cable companies.

Here's an example of my area: (which cable blows dsl away)

384kbps DL/384kbps UL SDSL: $90/month

3000kbps DL/128kbps UP regular cable: $50/month

In my area cable is the choice hands down (plus its more relaible), but some people have better DSL in their area.. check broadbandreports.com first.

[quote name='xzafixz']DSL isn't even an option unless they build a station in your back yard.

If you have a lot of money laying around you can set up a wireless network which wouldn't have miles of cable, i know xbox has a wireless kit but i don't think ps2 does so you'll have to at least have wires for the ps2. Prepare to spend quite a bit though, routers cards and such will be like 300ish more if you have more computers.[/quote]

I have cable and it works great. Don't really know where u got that 300 from. I have a dlink 624 108 mbps xtreme G router ($50 after MIR @ amazon), a microsoft xbox adapter ($60 after MIR at Amazon), and a microsoft usb adapter ($40 at BB). That is $140 for 2 computers and a game system with a great router that probably won't be completly out of dat in a few years.

[quote name='Explosion']get dsl. the speed is guaranteed (cable isnt, because cable's speed is very dependant on how many people in your area are using it) [/quote]

This isn't really an issue unless your cable company doesn't maintain their system plant. They can compensate for this unless they are just too lazy.

and dsl also seems to work better (i know from personal experience) with wired/wireless networks than cable when the connection is being used on more than one computer.

This is wrong too, setting up your home network really has little to do with whether you're using DSL or cable.

I'm really surprised powerline networking isn't bigger than it is. When I first heard about it, I thought that was the coolest newnetworking thing, and much more secure than a wireless network. But everyone's pimping the wireless.
The 'shared' aspect of cable, I think, is overrated. The only time I notice anything is Friday afternoon from about 1700-1830 or 1900, I guess everyone gets home and downloads, um, stuff, for the weekend. But I generally have a pretty good, pretty consistent connection. And I'm too far away to get a DSL line, and the DSL line is more expensive. I also have 2, sometimes 3 computers always on the net at the same time.

well i guess it depends on where you live

when i first got cable it was $50 a month and i noticed slow downs many times at peak hours. my pings which would be in the 40s, would jump to around 300

i had cable for a few months before i got rid of it and got dsl. i've had it for like 3 years and pay $30 for it and i never had a problem with speed.

[quote name='dtcarson']I'm really surprised powerline networking isn't bigger than it is. When I first heard about it, I thought that was the coolest newnetworking thing, and much more secure than a wireless network. But everyone's pimping the wireless.
The 'shared' aspect of cable, I think, is overrated. The only time I notice anything is Friday afternoon from about 1700-1830 or 1900, I guess everyone gets home and downloads, um, stuff, for the weekend. But I generally have a pretty good, pretty consistent connection. And I'm too far away to get a DSL line, and the DSL line is more expensive. I also have 2, sometimes 3 computers always on the net at the same time.[/quote]

The problem with powerline getting established is that the first generation products were both slow and very late to market. The second generation (14 Mb) version was also delayed well over a year from when the first product was supposed to ship. The chance to establish the idea in the marketplace awas largely lost once WiFi exploded. Especially since laptops have been the fastest growing segment of the PC market in recent years and thus makes the freedom of movement offered by wireless pretty much a requirement.

Last I read about DSL, and this was maybe a couple of months ago, 3mb was not going to be available for a WHILE.

Also, with a lot of you, I have NO IDEA where you're coming up with your numbers.

I have Verizon DSL in Philadelphia, PA. It costs about $30 a month and it has bandwidth with 1.5mb on the downstread and 128k on the up. (Basically, I ususally get about 120k downloads, and I have a capped upload of about 22k.)

WHere are you guys from that it offers you 3mb?? And how the heck do I sign up? Also, is it still running through your phone line?

As for your router troubles, $300 is WAY too much to spend.

I have a Wireless-B Linksys BEFW11S4 (version 4) router and it works beautifully. I paid about $100 for it a while ago but I've seen it at Best Buy for $40 after $20 mail-in rebate. Check out http://www.newegg.com and see what the best prices are.

After that, just get ethernet cables. If you have any mom and pop computer shops around you, you can get some steals on Cat5 cable. The EB's here even sell it... for CHEAP. If you go to Best Buy or any other store like it, you may end up paying a dollar a foot. At EB and mom and pop shops, $10 for 100 feet. I don't know about you, but i'd rather go with that than 50 dollars for a wireless card that may or may not work with your game system. Besides that, you don't have to worry about insufficient signal strength with cables.

Also, the 11S4 work bith both XBOX AND PS2, officially. PS2 has trouble with some D-Links, as well as the M$ one.

[quote name='ratedpeej']Last I read about DSL, and this was maybe a couple of months ago, 3mb was not going to be available for a WHILE.

Also, with a lot of you, I have NO IDEA where you're coming up with your numbers.

I have Verizon DSL in Philadelphia, PA. It costs about $30 a month and it has bandwidth with 1.5mb on the downstread and 128k on the up. (Basically, I ususally get about 120k downloads, and I have a capped upload of about 22k.)

WHere are you guys from that it offers you 3mb?? And how the heck do I sign up? Also, is it still running through your phone line?
[/quote]

Be assured, there is nothing at all unusual about 3 Mb DSL rates. The typical CPE (client premises equipment) unit can handle up to 8 Mb downstream rates. This is dependent on proximity to the CO, equipment that exist in between to maintain signal quality, and the willingness of your provider to market suh rates to consumers and small businesses. Yes, this comes through the same phone lines as slower DSL services. Under very limited distances the throughput on a plain copper pair can go well past 50 Mb.

Note this page for the primary DSL porvider in my region and note the readily available 3 Mb service plans. I recently had to choose between keeping my $50 a month price and getting speed upgrade or staying with the same rate at a 45% lower monthly cost. I chose to save the money in anticipation of major changes ahead.
http://www02.sbc.com/DSL_new/content_new/1,,18,00.html?pl_code=MSBC245C8952P192180B0S0

Both Verizon and SBC are going forth with plans to roll out optical fiber much more widely to provide service levels that will make the diffierence between 1.5 megabit and 3.0 megabit seem trivial. In newly constructed housing tracts the fiber is being brought directly into the homes. THe cost of doing this has dropped to the point where it no longer makes sense to deploy new copper. This will allow incredible bandwidth to enable new types of on-demand services that the providers are hoping will shape up into serious cash cows. Those of us in existing homes won't be left out either.

Although it would be prohibitively expensive to bring fiber directly to existing homes it isn't necessary to get most of the benefits. Bringing fiber to the node (one node typically serves about 500 homes) greatly reduces the distance signals must travel over copper and thanks to drastically reduced cost for the hardware to drive very high speeds over copper this will allow servie offerings in the 15 to 25 megabit range. Naturally, this means many types of high volume services such as video on demand delivery beome practical for DSL providers to compete with cable offerings.

The dot.bomb era may have slowed things down for a while but when it comes to broadband you ain't seen nothin' yet.

[quote name='Explosion']get dsl. the speed is guaranteed (cable isnt, because cable's speed is very dependant on how many people in your area are using it) and dsl also seems to work better (i know from personal experience) with wired/wireless networks than cable when the connection is being used on more than one computer.[/quote]

This is a mistaken belief based on obsolete conditions.

The early cable modem deployment testbeds focused on performance and were rather primitive in some ways. The basic hardware, predating DOCSIS, allowed for up to 40 Mb down and 10 Mb upstream speeds. For a user to actually see those kinds of speed required both a substantial effort to get a monster load of packets headed their way and for everyone else in the neighborhood to be asleep. Naturallly, it didn't take long for other heavy users to be constantly competing to grab bandwidth when no one else was active.

This problem became obvious before the major commercial deployments got very far and it was a minor issue to set up bandwidth throttling so that no one use user could suck up so much bandwidth that other users received less than their contracted service level. This is a simple set of functions on modern networking systems. We ( locationconnect.com ) use the same techniques on the LAN scale to insure everybody is kept happy. During periods of low usage an individual user might experience speed much higher than the provider is obligated to give but only so long as no other user on the node isn't lacking for required bandwidth.

Here is a nifty development that will reach a lot of CAGs within the the next few years:
http://news.com.com/Verizon's+fiber+race+is+on/2100-1034_3-5275171.html

15 megabit broadband for under $50 a month. Some things just keep getting better.

bread's done
Back