Possible GCN Price Drop coming soon? (Super Friends, Unite to confirm!)

UncleBob

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Thanks to wandering over on PlanetGameCube.com for this tipoff.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148626.html

An EB Games employee today told GameSpot that the company had sent out promotional materials that strongly suggest Nintendo is planning a GameCube price drop next month. The materials, which were sent for use in the company's next marketing period (May 3 to May 23), include GameCube posters with GameCube-branded stickers that read "New Low Price," according to the employee. A specific price was not listed for the machine, which currently retails for $99.99 new, but it featured a blank number template which employees could fill in should a drop be announced.

Anyone want to confirm this? How about GameCrazy or other employees - anything at your stores?

If they do drop the price, I can't imagine it would go any lower than $79. Most Gamecube first-party games released in the last year or two, like Fire Emblem and the Mario sports games, still retail for $49 and I doubt the system and games would be priced the same.

If they drop it to say, 79.99, you'd think first party games like Mario Baseball and Fire Emblem would go to about 39.99. But I doubt that would happen.

[quote name='mattcube64']I hope it hits $69.99, but expect $79.99, to match the recent PS2 drop. That means the Xbox will surely follow.[/QUOTE]
But Microsoft doesn't care if people buy the Xbox anymore, they want you to buy the 360. Nintendo and PS2 don't have any other console to push though.

[quote name='Medium_Pimpin']Too little, too late.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Its been $99 for a LONG time. Thats a damn good price for a current Gen system.

[quote name='O.D.D']Come on $50.

That has been my buying point ever since it was released back in 2001.[/quote]

I did get one gamecube for $50 from a Compusa several weeks ago.
Although it's YMMV, you might want to check your local compusa if you need a cheap gamecube.

I just hope they add Mario Tennis to the Player's Choice. Even if its $29.99, I'm there.

And unless the new Zelda comes out when they do the price drop, I doubt it will get anyone's attention.

[quote name='mattcube64']I hope it hits $69.99, but expect $79.99, to match the recent PS2 drop. That means the Xbox will surely follow.[/quote]

I'm fairly certain that Microsoft isn't even manufacturing new X-Box's anymore, so the stores are free to charge whatever they'd like for them.

The GCN is an amazing system. It was worth it at $199, $150 with a free game, $99, and $99 with a free game. If it hits $79 there really is no excuse. It's a great deal IMO.

[quote name='Medium_Pimpin']Too little, too late.[/QUOTE]

For a system that is more powerful than a PS2, close to the power of the original X-Box, and has lots of great games avalible I think $100 is a bargain. Price wasn't the problem of the gamecube. The PS2s DVD support and the fact that it launched first let it win the battle this generation. XBOX and Cube sales weren't too far apart, but I think XBOX live was a big advantage for the box.

expect it to drop to 79.99 It will NOT DROP TO 49.99

sysytems been dropping 2o or 30 bucks every other year for the last what 4-6 years

2006 ps2 129
2004 ps2 149
2002 pss 199

maybt the ps2 did drop 50 bucks not sure.. or was there a price drop in 2003

worker at best buy said expect xbox to be blown out this thansgiving Expect systems @ 50 bucks and games under 20 (many under 10)

called up eb and they said expect it to be told next week Gamecube 79.99

[quote name='wageslave']For a system that is more powerful than a PS2, close to the power of the original X-Box, and has lots of great games avalible I think $100 is a bargain.[/QUOTE]

games on the system determine its value, not the power, the GC just doesn't offer as much unless you mostly like Nintendo games

[quote name='slidecage']expect it to drop to 79.99 It will NOT DROP TO 49.99

sysytems been dropping 2o or 30 bucks every other year for the last what 4-6 years

2006 ps2 129
2004 ps2 149
2002 pss 199

maybt the ps2 did drop 50 bucks not sure.. or was there a price drop in 2003

[/QUOTE]

I believe it went from $199 to $179 in 2003

[quote name='wageslave']The PS2s DVD support and the fact that it launched first let it win the battle this generation.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget 3rd party support. That was the biggest factor.

Why are these price drops worth this much discussion on CAG? Most of us have had numerous opportunities to get deals that match or exceed the value of a $20 price drop.

GameStop traditionally creates their own in-store promotional materials before each E3 IN THE EVENT THAT a pricedrop is announced. This is done for each major console. The price is not filled in on the sign - that part is done by the actual store location itself if the price drop actually does happen. If E3 comes and goes with no price drop announcements, the store manager is ordered to destroy the materials.

[quote name='mattcube64']I hope it hits $69.99, but expect $79.99, to match the recent PS2 drop. That means the Xbox will surely follow.[/quote]

Haha... yeah. Has anyone been foolish enough to buy the Forza Bundle? 149.99 + 19.99 = 179.99?!

Only Microsoft would raise the price of their system.

I think Nintendo should keep the prices where they are right now. Everyone keeps saying drop it to 49.99 and all games to 19.99, this is insane, Nintendo actually makes money of this thing, unlike Xbox, which it still in the red.

I'd guess $80 would be the new price if there is a drop. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

[quote name='NeoStrider']games on the system determine its value, not the power[/QUOTE]

QFT

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']If the price on used systems drops to around $60, I'll absolutely have to pick one up again.[/QUOTE]

They have been $60 at EBgames forever.

[quote name='zewone']$50 is still a little too much for this system.[/quote]

Considering the GameCube is awesome, no.

(You'd really have to be insane to think $50 is too much for the GameCube. Seriously.)

But yeah, we got the price drop sign thingies in at EB, but since the price hasn't been announced yet, we can't put it up/fill in the price.

Probably this Wednesday/Thursday along with the DS Lite release.

[quote name='Zeo']Considering the GameCube is awesome, no.

(You'd really have to be insane to think $50 is too much for the GameCube. Seriously.)

But yeah, we got the price drop sign thingies in at EB, but since the price hasn't been announced yet, we can't put it up/fill in the price.

Probably this Wednesday/Thursday along with the DS Lite release.[/quote]

Woah, woah, woah. DS Lite release?!

[quote name='zewone']$50 is still a little too much for this system.[/QUOTE]

Inclined to agree. Mine has been unplugged for months, and only gets plugged in to try whatever new game (which is few and far between) that I pick up. Probably gonna plug it in to play Chibi Robo, play through that, wait another 2 - 3 months for Odama to get cheap, then I guess just pack the system in for good and wait for the Wii and Twilight Princess. I mean, the first party Nintendo stuff is fun, but alot of it feels like I've just played it before.

Well... somewhere in there I'll grab Harvest Moon: Magical Melody if it gets cheap and give that a spin.

I mean, do I regret my Cube purchase? Not really, I just wish Nintendo didn't give up on it months ago, so I don't really feel much love towards it.

[quote name='Roufuss']Inclined to agree. Mine has been unplugged for months, and only gets plugged in to try whatever new game (which is few and far between) that I pick up. Probably gonna plug it in to play Chibi Robo, play through that, wait another 2 - 3 months for Odama to get cheap, then I guess just pick the system in for good and wait for the Wii and Twilight Princess.

Well... somewhere in there I'll grab Harvest Moon: Magical Melody if it gets cheap and give that a spin.

I mean, do I regret my Cube purchase? Not really, I just wish Nintendo didn't give up on it months ago, so I don't really feel much love towards it.[/QUOTE]

My cube gets turned on about every 6 months to play Mario Party 4 when I have people over and they want to play a party game.

For serious, then?

We play constant rounds of DK 1,2 and 3 'round these parts along with plenty of Strikers and Tennis. It was well worth it at $150 and I'd buy it again at the same price.

I think the Cube's value is proportional to how much you play party games. If you play Strikers, Tennis, Monkey Ball, Mario Party, etc. on a fairly often basis then the system is worth every dime of its launch price. However, if you're the type that rarely plays such games then you won't find as much value in the system. There's still a slew of great single player titles out there, however. Everyone owes it to themselves to play through Resident Evil 4 and Eternal Darkness--two of the best adult games this generation, and both on a "kiddie" console.

Theres probably a ton of good games for the Cube, but only 2 or 3 actually interest me. $79 still is a little high, when all I want to play is Wind Waker and probably Smash Brothers. Other than that, the GC has little to offer IMHO.

I bought one on launch day, and if it weren't for Xbox Live, it would be my favorite console of this last gen.

Zelda WW
Zelda FS
Metroid Prime
Prime 2
Super Smash Bros
Metal Gear Solid TTS
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
Eternal Darkness
Superior RE4
F-Zero GX
Rouge Leader
Paper Mario 2
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos
and so much more!

This is a steal for $99 with Mario Party 7 and 2 controllers. It would be fraud for $79.99 or less.

bread's done
Back