Ethernet Cables?

I think the cable is fine....the one with the 360 is not that long I believe....

I bought 100' one on EBAY pretty cheap and it still works great.

[quote name='mobster011']Cat5e is the type that the 360 uses?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's at least cat5e if not cat6.

Here's a little explanation of the differences:

Category 5 cable

Category 5 (CAT5) cable is a multi-pair (usually 4 pair) high performance cable that consists of twisted pair conductors, used mainly for data transmission. Basic CAT5 cable was designed for characteristics of up to 100 MHz. CAT5 cable is typically used for Ethernet networks running at 10 or 100 Mbps.

Category 5e cable

Category 5e (CAT5e) cable, also known as Enhanced Category 5, is designed to support full-duplex Fast Ethernet operation and Gigabit Ethernet. The main differences between CAT5 and CAT5e can be found in the specifications. The performance requirements have been raised slightly in the new standard (see comparison chart below).

CAT5e has stricter specifications for Power Sum Equal-Level Far-End Crosstalk (PS-ELFEXT), Near-End Crosstalk (NEXT), Attenuation, and Return Loss (RL) than those for CAT5. Like CAT5, CAT5e is a 100-MHz standard, but it has the capacity to handle bandwidth superior to that of CAT5. CAT5 cable is typically used for Ethernet networks running at 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps.

Category 6 cable

Category 6 (CAT6) cable provides higher performance than CAT5e and features more stringent specifications for crosstalk and system noise.

The quality of the data transmission depends upon the performance of the components of the channel. To transmit according to CAT6 specifications, jacks, patch cables, patch panels, cross-connects, and cabling must all meet CAT6 standards. The CAT6 components are tested individually, and they are also tested together for performance. In addition, the standard calls for generic system performance so that CAT6 components from any vendor can be used in the channel.

All CAT6 components must be backward compatible with CAT5e, CAT5, and CAT3. If different category components are used with CAT6 components, then the channel will achieve the transmission performance of the lower category. For instance, if CAT6 cable is used with CAT5e jacks, the channel will perform at a CAT5e level.

I appreciate the run down of all the types. It was very helpful.

But can anyone verify that the 360 does in fact use Cat5e or maybe even cat6?

Monoprice kicks ass they ship everything the same day usually since i'm on the east coast so their 3pm cutoff is 6 pm for me. Just got my most recent order of audio splitters etc in the mail today ordered tuesday morning.

The 360 uses Cat5e as far as I know. If you want to spend the $1 more on monoprice go for the Cat6 if you want.

yea I forgot to add that, it all should work fine the 6 is just capable of moving things along a lil faster although you probably cant tell the difference.

[quote name='$hady']Monoprice kicks ass they ship everything the same day usually since i'm on the east coast so their 3pm cutoff is 6 pm for me. Just got my most recent order of audio splitters etc in the mail today ordered tuesday morning.[/QUOTE]
I have said this before on many forums; I have never had a better online shopping experience time after time as I have with monoprice.com. They have shipped same day for me every time and also only charge only actual shipping price and they use priority mail. Also they have rather high quality products that is comparable to the top named brand cables @ a fraction of the cost. Just check out the monoprice.com HDMI cable prices compared to Best Buy ;)

monoprice.com should pay me for all the advertisements I have given them for free.

There is almost no difference between cat5e and cat6. Anything more than cat5 will not help you unless you're using Gigabit ethernet, which 360 doesn't support, as if you had a 1000mbps internet connection anyway. Just buy the cheapest one, it makes zero difference. Not a slight difference, not just a little, but none, zero, nada. Don't pay more thinking that you'll get better performance, you won't.

Monoprice is excellent, by the way. I use it for all my cable needs. Except when Compgeeks has a 1000 foot roll of ethernet cable, thats an unbeatable deal.

[quote name='mobster011']I just want to make sure of this before I go ahead and order. This ethernet cable will make a perfect substitute for the cable that came with the 360 right?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1020801&p_id=2159&seq=1&format=2&style=

I was about to order and then noticed it said 350MHZ UTP and then it says RJ45. Does any of that matter? I didn't know if there are other types or if this is the only kind. Thanks![/QUOTE]
None of that matters, as long as its an RJ45/ethernet cable.

bread's done
Back