- - - - -

Rogue Galaxy confimred for US release with improvements

#31 keithp   Older than you CAGiversary!   5600 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:42 PM

Put this on my radar for a price drop.

Along with Okami and Bully.

#32 Starky27   RPG Hoarder CAGiversary!   900 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:23 AM

Picked it up at Best Buy today with the $10 off GamePro coupon. Can't wait to dive into this...

#33 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   39856 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:59 AM

For those that have played it: Is it better than Dark Cloud 2? Does it have dungeons the way Dark Cloud 2 did? Because those were annoying.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community.  

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

It's because of pillars like you, I remain in this community.  Thank you!

Spoken like a true pillar. The community sends its many thanks.

How dare you speak to the pillar of our community that way. If he says you're a closet vita fan he knows what he's talking about.

#34 rodeojones903   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6366 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

rodeojones903

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:02 AM

For those that have played it: Is it better than Dark Cloud 2? Does it have dungeons the way Dark Cloud 2 did? Because those were annoying.

So far no, but Im only two hours in.

#35 KwanzaaTimmy   Dead Spiddace!! CAGiversary!   807 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

KwanzaaTimmy

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:39 AM

I'm a little further than 3 hours in myself, and I think the story itself thus far is a bit better than DC2. The gameplay/combat mechanics are great though, and are keeping me interested.

I'd recommend the guide too, at 384 pages of double-jump goodness, it covers basically everything that you can do with all the creation systems in the game. I'm about ready to dive back in.

Certainly worth my 40 dollar credit. The game is beautiful, although the lack of widescreen is rough --it still looks excellent, even though I'm loosing screen real estate.

Posted Image

NOW: :360: COD 4, Mass Effect
On Deck: Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, SMG

#36 Roufuss   is now a coupon CAGiversary!   21591 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:33 AM

I'd recommend the guide too, at 384 pages of double-jump goodness, it covers basically everything that you can do with all the creation systems in the game.

Thanks for reminding me who made this guide - I might get the guide ASAP while I wait on a price drop on the game.

I called my lady friend last night and said my buddy had to beat off on my chest, she is kinda pissed at me, but it was the best idea I had all night, and I stand by it.

Posted Image

#37 io   ... Super Moderators   24573 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:46 AM

Dammit - I have this preordered at 2 places (EB and GR) and totally forgot it came out this week. Of course, neither place has bothered to call me about it :bomb:. Well, hopefully GR will get it and I can save my more valuable EB credit for something else. I might have to wait till Friday for GR. I think I'll move this to the top of my backlog though - I'm tired of getting games upon release and not playing them until they are on clearance for $10 :rofl:.

#38 Rei no Otaku   Rei's love CAGiversary!   10309 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Rei no Otaku

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:40 PM

Anyone bump into a mimic yet? That thing killed me in like 3-5 hits! Be careful when you open chests...

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#39 KwanzaaTimmy   Dead Spiddace!! CAGiversary!   807 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

KwanzaaTimmy

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:36 PM

Anyone bump into a mimic yet? That thing killed me in like 3-5 hits! Be careful when you open chests...

Haha, Yeah quite a few on the jungle planet. I got wiped out in like 3 seconds from one, and then again figuring I didn't plan out how to attack. I actually did manage to kill it though after grabbing the fire gun for Jaster, just get my guys on "Go All Out", and had Jaster blast from range.

You get Hunter's Marks for each one you kill-- I don't know what they do as of yet, but they're probably worth it for sweet loots.

I love this game, every character plays differently. Thus far Zegram and Kisala are my two favorites.

Posted Image

#40 nakedsushi   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   173 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

nakedsushi

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:43 AM

Mimics get pretty easy once you get a
Spoiler
. You can just blast them once with that, attack like crazy for a while, then run away to charge up the shot, and repeat till they're dead.

#41 VanillaGorilla   Shark Barber CAGiversary!   5519 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

VanillaGorilla

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:26 PM

Well, I haven't purchased a game since October, but it looks like that's gonna change tonight. Gameznflix has this game as "High Demand", meaning it could take a couple weeks for me to get a copy (how do they decide which customers get the first batch of copies?), so I'm just gonna go over to EB and trade in a couple low value games, and use my card in conjunction with that 10% coupon from the new GI. I figure I'll only have to pay $20 total.
Posted Image

#42 Moxio   Supervillain CAGiversary!   35394 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:15 AM

I tried the demo and I really think I want this game.

#43 Blitz   Nasty Bastard CAGiversary!   379 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:21 AM

Can anyone tell me how the fighting is? I am really hoping it's not like FFXII or Star Ocean.

#44 Virtua   only 5 can ladder CAGiversary!   12598 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:26 AM

I really don't want to buy another game to add to the backlog right now, but with comparisons to Secret of Mana, Kingdom Hearts, and Chrono Trigger being thrown around, and the $10 BB coupon, I might get this.

TRASH PANIC iLdJv6N.png TRASH PANIC

#45 argyle   Mr. Lucky CAGiversary!   6362 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:34 AM

Can anyone tell me how the fighting is? I am really hoping it's not like FFXII or Star Ocean.

It's not like either of those. It's fast-paced, but does everything right not to make it too chaotic to follow: your companions "suggest" things they can do such as use healing items & special moves, which you can accept by tapping r1/l1. You can pause the action at any time by pressing triangle, and use special moves/items/etc from the menu. Healing items kick in immediately. If the character you're controlling happens to die, it automatically pauses to let you res him or switch to someone else.

I've heard some comparisons to KH2, but that does the game no justice at all imo. It's SOOO much better than that. There are random battles, but with no load times and no seperate battle screens, they are a joy and not a chore. I find myself wandering around trying to get into fights because they're so much fun.

The basic formula for RG is Dark Cloud 2 combined with a more traditional Japanese RPG - but like any Level-5 game, it's far more than the sum of its parts. Is it too early to call GOTY? ;)
Posted Image

#46 Roufuss   is now a coupon CAGiversary!   21591 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:40 AM

I really don't want to buy another game to add to the backlog right now, but with comparisons to Secret of Mana, Kingdom Hearts, and Chrono Trigger being thrown around, and the $10 BB coupon, I might get this.

I thought the $10 off BB coupon was dead?

I called my lady friend last night and said my buddy had to beat off on my chest, she is kinda pissed at me, but it was the best idea I had all night, and I stand by it.

Posted Image

#47 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19755 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:57 AM

new $10 of $39.99

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#48 Blitz   Nasty Bastard CAGiversary!   379 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:04 AM

It's not like either of those. It's fast-paced, but does everything right not to make it too chaotic to follow: your companions "suggest" things they can do such as use healing items & special moves, which you can accept by tapping r1/l1. You can pause the action at any time by pressing triangle, and use special moves/items/etc from the menu. Healing items kick in immediately. If the character you're controlling happens to die, it automatically pauses to let you res him or switch to someone else.

I've heard some comparisons to KH2, but that does the game no justice at all imo. It's SOOO much better than that. There are random battles, but with no load times and no seperate battle screens, they are a joy and not a chore. I find myself wandering around trying to get into fights because they're so much fun.

The basic formula for RG is Dark Cloud 2 combined with a more traditional Japanese RPG - but like any Level-5 game, it's far more than the sum of its parts. Is it too early to call GOTY? ;)

Damn that sounds kick ass! Thanks much.

Looks like I will be picking this one up.

#49 io   ... Super Moderators   24573 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:30 AM

Well, GR finally came through for me (for once) and I now have this game from my preorder there (funny, EB never called me - oh well, I'll get that $5 back soon).

I'm pushing this to the top of the backlog and playing it as soon as I finish Magical Starsign on the DS. Though the fact that VanillaGorilla is making it his first game purchase since October is disturbing ;). That ol' DQ VIII hater!

#50 swetooth9   Go Heels! CAGiversary!   7144 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:24 PM

same..i dont see this game dropping 10 bucks before the coupon expires...at most it will drop 5 bucks, making the game ineligible for the 10 off 39.99 coupon

it expires the 28 of Feb IIRC

also, let me state this...i dont really like RPG's but i loved Dark Cloud 2 i thought it was a fun game and the customization was a blast...this game is made by level 5, the same people, and it plays similarly from the Demo...probably gonna snag this today

gamertag: a crispy donut

currently playing:

• XB360: Black Ops 2, GTA5
  • XB1: Halo 5, Madden 16, NBA 2k16, Gears

#51 Moxio   Supervillain CAGiversary!   35394 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:23 PM

Any link for this $10 coupon?

#52 Starky27   RPG Hoarder CAGiversary!   900 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=122144

#53 Moxio   Supervillain CAGiversary!   35394 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:36 PM

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=122144

Thank you so much.

#54 swetooth9   Go Heels! CAGiversary!   7144 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:40 PM

bought RG today...always happy to support level 5

gamertag: a crispy donut

currently playing:

• XB360: Black Ops 2, GTA5
  • XB1: Halo 5, Madden 16, NBA 2k16, Gears

#55 Virtua   only 5 can ladder CAGiversary!   12598 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:04 PM

Rented it today.. it kicks SOO much ass. I really don't need another AAA game to play right now, but I'll be picking it up when I have to return the rental copy..

TRASH PANIC iLdJv6N.png TRASH PANIC

#56 KwanzaaTimmy   Dead Spiddace!! CAGiversary!   807 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

KwanzaaTimmy

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:39 AM

Sitting at about 12 hours and change. I've got to say that I'm still really enjoying this game. The way that they present each new sidequest-able device is pretty cool (and sometimes quirky). Weapon Customization, Pokemon style competitions, and a whole damn factory at my disposal, its all very well put together.

I basically got to a point in the story where things become much more open ended, and I could easily see myself loosing quite a bit of time to the multitude of things in the game. However, much like the poster above me, I'd have to say that the combat is what really makes this game stand out in my opinion.

Its the perfect balance of hack and slash and traditional RPG elements. Once you unlock a good set of abilities, team suggestions are usually pretty good about healing and dishin' out the pain. I like that I can still be an asset even if my action meter runs out, and just keeping enemies locked in hitstun with my gun adds a lot to the combat dynamic than just running up and busting things.

I'm glad some more CAGs are going to pick this up, deal or no-deal, because I'm afraid it probably will not sell as well as it should. After trudging through Virtual Basic meets Final Fantasy, Rogue Galaxy is like a breath of fresh air.

Posted Image

#57 CounterSeal   Seize the day. CAGiversary!   307 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

CounterSeal

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

The only reason I have yet to pick up Rogue Galaxy is because I still need to finish FFXII. Rest assured, once FFXII is done, I will check this out.
"Roses are red, Violets are blue. All my base, are belong to you."
http://counterseal.deviantart.com
Posted Image
Posted Image

#58 Zing   Witty Remark Here CAGiversary!   1779 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

Adding this to my "buy when it hits sub-$20 and add it to the 40-game-long backlog" list.

#59 Moxio   Supervillain CAGiversary!   35394 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:11 PM

I bought it and I'm loving it so far! :)

#60 Rei no Otaku   Rei's love CAGiversary!   10309 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Rei no Otaku

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:50 PM

I finally caught enough insectors to enter the Insectron tournament. Hopefully that'll be fun.

Rei_no_Otaku.png