Disgaea: Hour of Darkness $34.99 (Used..EB GAMES)

asianxcore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Sorry if this has been posted.

I think it was a couple weeks ago/month ago I went to EB and the price was still $44.99 for this game used. Went in today and it was $34.99 used. Not too bad of a price for those of you who have an edge card. In the end I got it for around $31.49+ tax

I have to go back to the store tomorrow morning though, since the guy who sold it to me forgot to put in the disc. :)

I bought this at Game Crazy for $17.99 a few weeks ago. I hate it.

But, y'know, if you're into that sort of thing, I highly recommend it.

Torture.

If you're into pure torture.

$63? I'm eBaying it.. the game is stupid overrated. Nothing too different in gameplay compared to other strategy RPG's and the geeky anime humor didn't have any charm on me. It was a fun game, but I only rate it a 3/5.

good luck, i doubt there are many left. perhaps you didn't play too far into it, but it definitely has charm. i enjoyed it a lot, maybe nto as much as FF T or Fire Emblem, but it's up there.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']good luck, i doubt there are many left. perhaps you didn't play too far into it, but it definitely has charm. i enjoyed it a lot, maybe nto as much as FF T or Fire Emblem, but it's up there.[/QUOTE]
Don't assume I didn't play too far into the game when I beat it.

And there are plenty copies left. I always see them at gamestops and ebgames. I'm sure I'll find at least one copy at one many of gamecrazy's I drive past.

[quote name='xrickyb86x']yeah 17.99 used at game crazy. i just ebayed my copy from game crazy for 63 bucks.[/quote]

63 dollars...was it a used or brand new sealed? I have a brand new sealed copy of the game and may put it up on Ebay.

Is it $34.00 at g-stops now? Ill pick it up for that price. $44.00 for an older game at a b&m store is ridiculous. Anyone know about SMTN? Is that still $44.00?

[quote name='schuerm26']Is it $34.00 at g-stops now?[/QUOTE]

Most gamestop and eb share similiar price due to the merge of both companies,both stores adopted gamestop prices.That could be a good thing or bad thing, depending on the game.The Legend of Zelda:Link to the Past used to be $7.99,it's now its $17.99. Legend of Mana used to be $30 at ebgames,it's now it's 17.99 with the gamestop price tag.

[quote name='schuerm26']Is it $34.00 at g-stops now? Ill pick it up for that price. $44.00 for an older game at a b&m store is ridiculous. Anyone know about SMTN? Is that still $44.00?[/quote]

Probably, but again, $17.99 at Game Crazy, although in this case I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you IMMEDIATELY purchase it AT ANY PRICE if you have any appreciation for gaming. Best game ever. Period.

While I enjoyed it, its certainly not for everyone. Its pretty heavy as far as mechanics are concerned. Its also got some quirky anime-ish humor. Neither of these things are for everyone. So I wouldnt recommend it to anyone unless I knew they had an appreciation for such things.

[quote name='schuerm26']Is it $34.00 at g-stops now? Ill pick it up for that price. $44.00 for an older game at a b&m store is ridiculous. Anyone know about SMTN? Is that still $44.00?[/QUOTE]

Nocturne is $14.99 used at Gamecrazy, which is a steal for a great game.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Its pretty heavy as far as mechanics are concerned.[/quote]

I don't want to start an argument or anything, but I'm a fan of the SaGa series and I don't think Disgaea can even match that sort of originality and complexity.

[quote name='anderton']I don't want to start an argument or anything, but I'm a fan of the SaGa series and I don't think Disgaea can even match that sort of originality and complexity.[/quote]

Nor would it want to. The "complexity" you speak of translates to boring gameplay, thick with monotony and over-complication. Maybe that's why there are like 9 used copies of Unlimited Saga at my local EB for $2.99 apiece, while Disgaea is a rare and popular game that goes for upwards of $60.

Or maybe it's just bc Atlus makes ridiculously low amounts of their games, so they all become rare. What the hell do I know?

[quote name='Apossum']Nocturne is $14.99 used at Gamecrazy, which is a steal for a great game.[/QUOTE]
Jesus, Nocturne too? I'm off searching later today..

[quote name='fatbeer']Most gamestop and eb share similiar price due to the merge of both companies,both stores adopted gamestop prices.That could be a good thing or bad thing, depending on the game.The Legend of Zelda:Link to the Past used to be $7.99,it's now its $17.99. Legend of Mana used to be $30 at ebgames,it's now it's 17.99 with the gamestop price tag.[/QUOTE]

ahhhh..
Legend of Mana is showing up as $32.99 for me.
:whistle2:(
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=933985

[quote name='the ender']Nor would it want to. The "complexity" you speak of translates to boring gameplay, thick with monotony and over-complication. Maybe that's why there are like 9 used copies of Unlimited Saga at my local EB for $2.99 apiece, while Disgaea is a rare and popular game that goes for upwards of $60.

Or maybe it's just bc Atlus makes ridiculously low amounts of their games, so they all become rare. What the hell do I know?[/quote]

Unlimited SaGa takes upwards of 100 hours to complete and barely 0.1% of that is used toward learning the basics of the mechanics. From there, anybody with a brain can play the game but continue to discover the intracies of the gameplay. It's not complicated at all. I remember playing it for the first time after all of the crap that got shelled out on it - either I'm a fucking genius or the gaming population doesn't have time for unique titles.

Disgaea is popular because it's just so Japanese and kawaii!!!11!

Is Unlimited Saga like the Saga Frontier games? If so im avoiding it like the plague, though i don't see how you can go wrong for $2.99.

the version SMT: Nocturne being sold at Gamecrazy for $14.99 used is the 1-disc reprint am I correct?

are there still Gamecrazy's that still have Disgaea in stock? the 4 that I hit up frequently haven't had it in the longest time.

[quote name='anderton']either I'm a fucking genius or the gaming population doesn't have time for unique titles.

[/quote]

Well, I doubt you're a genius, although it's possible. And it isn't that the gaming population doesn't have time for "unique" titles, it's that they don't have the patience for boring titles. I know, you thought Unlimited Saga was great, but the majority of the gaming world disagrees with you, based on sales and review scores. To each his own though.

Anyway, I think I want to sell my Disgaea; anyone interested?

[quote name='the ender'] And it isn't that the gaming population doesn't have time for "unique" titles, it's that they don't have the patience for boring titles.[/quote]

That's what gets me - I think Disgaea is boring. I think Suikoden is boring. I don't see how they're not and games that require you to actually play are.

[quote name='PaulDE01']63 dollars...was it a used or brand new sealed? I have a brand new sealed copy of the game and may put it up on Ebay.[/quote]

mine was a used copy. you'll probably easily get around 70 or 80 for a sealed copy.

[quote name='anderton']That's what gets me - I think Disgaea is boring. I think Suikoden is boring. I don't see how they're not and games that require you to actually play are.[/quote]

So you're telling me you don't actually play Suikoden and Disgaea?

No wonder why you think they're boring ;)

[quote name='Rozz']So you're telling me you don't actually play Suikoden and Disgaea?[/quote]

I meant that in the way that the key to strategy in every Suikoden game but III and Tactics is "auto battle", and any and all features in Disgaea are for show more than enhancing the game.

[quote name='anderton']I meant that in the way that the key to strategy in every Suikoden game but III and Tactics is "auto battle", and any and all features in Disgaea are for show more than enhancing the game.[/QUOTE]

Can't disagree with either analysis, but Suikoden is still the shit.

[quote name='wbc1228']ahhhh..
Legend of Mana is showing up as $32.99 for me.
:whistle2:(
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=933985[/QUOTE]

Gamestop should really update their ps1 game prices.They only fix the prices that jump up in so much in value such as Final Fantasy VII for $30.00. Legend of Mana is definatly 17.99.I saw 5 places with a price tag of $17.99.I think Dragon Warrior 7 and Hoshigami is almost the same price tag.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I think Gamestop's problem is that they typically don't update prices unless an item is in stock.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it.Gamestop have both legend of mana in stock for $32.99 and valkyrie profile for $37.99.The instore cost for both game are $17.99 legend of mana and $60 for valkyrie profile.

[quote name='anderton']I meant that in the way that the key to strategy in every Suikoden game but III and Tactics is "auto battle", and any and all features in Disgaea are for show more than enhancing the game.[/quote]

Yes, I know I know. I was joking around. Hence the ;-) in the post.

Does Valkyrie Profile really retail for $60 in store? fuck that.

I've only seen prices instore different than on the site on very rare occasions, and they've always been cheaper rather than gouged.

I couldn't find Disgaea or DDS 1, but I did pick up Ken and Ryu Street Fighter controllers and Gradius V if anybody is interested in it. If not, I'm going to return them.

[quote name='anderton']Does Valkyrie Profile really retail for $60 in store? fuck that.

I've only seen prices instore different than on the site on very rare occasions, and they've always been cheaper rather than gouged.[/QUOTE]
I saw a Valkyrie Profile in my EB like two months ago and it was discs only in a generic case for $60! I said WTF!!! Of course I didnt buy them and the next week they were gone. I guess some people will pay anything even for disc-only games.

[quote name='chaarlieee']Don't assume I didn't play too far into the game when I beat it.

And there are plenty copies left. I always see them at gamestops and ebgames. I'm sure I'll find at least one copy at one many of gamecrazy's I drive past.[/QUOTE]

aww, yes, quite sure...

[quote name='pimp tyranny']aww, yes, quite sure...[/quote] There's this thing that always happens to me. I notice things that are in stock but I don't want them. When I DO want them, they're never there.

And yes, DDS and Disgaea were heavily available. And I'm talking about the past few months.

I only went to two gamecrazy's today.

[quote name='anderton']I meant that in the way that the key to strategy in every Suikoden game but III and Tactics is "auto battle", and any and all features in Disgaea are for show more than enhancing the game.[/quote]

Nah, not necessarily. In each Suikoden title the battle system has its own intricacies where the SPD stat of characters, who you target, and who you're fighting make a world of difference. If you're on the up-and-up with your party's stats and you can think on your feet you can potentially go as long as a good half an hour worth of battles with taking only nominal HP damage and without ever casting a spell. It doesn't mean much but, in Suikoden IV, it becomes highly important when you want to save your spells for unfortunate circumstances...well, that and if you play your cards right in IV you never have to heal your party.

But that's pretty much what you were getting at with Unlimited SaGa. You found a great deal of extra depth and enjoyable factors in the game and you love it. I've done the same with Suikoden myself, and yet we both don't like each other's prefered titles. 'Tis life, 'tis gaming, and you find what works for you and enjoy because, at the end of the day, it's all good!

Well, save for Superman 64.

I went to Atlus directly for my refurnished Disgaea. Used but complete for $40 shipped is better than $35 from EB/GS that might not even come with a manual/case. Now I just have to wait for shipment :)

Btw, I saw a couple of used Suikoden III for $27.99 at Game Crazy, used Persona 2 (PS1) for $29.99.

[quote name='eau']I went to Atlus directly for my refurnished Disgaea. Used but complete for $40 shipped is better than $35 from EB/GS that might not even come with a manual/case. Now I just have to wait for shipment :)

Btw, I saw a couple of used Suikoden III for $27.99 at Game Crazy, used Persona 2 (PS1) for $29.99.[/QUOTE]

Gamecrazy was selling Suikoden III for that much? I bought mine used there a couple weeks ago for only $12.99. Weird.

they haven't changed the price. i'd pick up a copy if i were you, S III is a great title, or if you have it, you can ebay it for $30-$35. nice $20 profit.

[quote name='eau']I went to Atlus directly for my refurnished Disgaea. Used but complete for $40 shipped is better than $35 from EB/GS that might not even come with a manual/case. Now I just have to wait for shipment :)
[/quote]

Indeed. They still have some left as I just sent them payment for one a few minutes ago. No doubt I'll be getting some free soundtracks and a demo disc like I did when I ordered DDS 1 from them. Can't beat that.

[quote name='Mike UFC']Indeed. They still have some left as I just sent them payment for one a few minutes ago. No doubt I'll be getting some free soundtracks and a demo disc like I did when I ordered DDS 1 from them. Can't beat that.[/quote]

I just mine on Saturday.

It comes with a SMT:N soundtrack, an Altier Iris 2 soundtrack, and a Steamboat Chronicles demo.

The disc was in perfect condition as was the case and manual, no gripes here.

[quote name='SpikeSpiegel']I just mine on Saturday.

It comes with a SMT:N soundtrack, an Altier Iris 2 soundtrack, and a Steamboat Chronicles demo.

The disc was in perfect condition as was the case and manual, no gripes here.[/quote]
So, it was practically new, as if it were just opened?

Wow, I can hardly wait for mine to arrive.

[quote name='eau']So, it was practically new, as if it were just opened?

Wow, I can hardly wait for mine to arrive.[/quote]

It was the same when I bought a refurbished DDS 1 from them. The disc was flawless, all the materials were new, and I got it in 2-3 days after sending payment. I was very pleased with my purchase and I can't wait until Disgaea gets here.

[quote name='Roufuss']The game is now $29.99 used at EB / Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

That was fast!Two big price drops in less than a month.

[quote name='nakanenui']Does atlus offer this up multiple times, or is it done for good, now?[/QUOTE]

We'll probably see a reprint when Disgaea 2 comes out (or just before)

bread's done
Back