- - - - -

What is America's Most Evil Company?

#31 Tromack   Vitriolic since 1997 CAGiversary!   3226 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:26 PM

Making money isn't evil. However, Enron execs saying things like "Granny won't be able to pay? Fuck Granny" is rather evil.

#32 Lootr2Core   Give a hoot don't loot. CAGiversary!   1600 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Lootr2Core

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:29 PM

If you google evil companies the number one site has NESTLE as #1. followed by,
2 Coca-Cola
3 McDonalds
4 Proctor and Gamble
5 Unilever
6 Wal-Mart
7 Glaxo Smithkline
8 Bacardi
9 Shell
10 Balfour Beatty

semi interesting read-- Cornfedwb you'll be happy cause it seems that they are making their 'evil' rankings not based upon making money (although I didn't read them all)

#33 hutno   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2226 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:29 PM

No I just hate the constant barage of trojans and viruses and the need for constant updates just to make sure my computer will still be up and running tomarrow. Windows has so many loop holes in their PC software that hackers can exploit that there is almost a daily need to update virus software.

Yes.
But.
That's like blaming Saturn or Honda for making a car that's popular for owners and car thieves.
"2003's most-stolen automobile was the 1995 Saturn SL...that car was closely followed by the 1998 Acura Integra and the 1994 Saturn SL."

Is Microsoft perfect? By no means.
Is their software perfect? No.
I'm actually surprised it works as well as it does, with so many different versions and user levels. I can create an Excel report, create a presentation about it in Powerpoint, and send it via Outlook to thousands of people who will all see the exact same thing.
Plus....if you get a virus or a trojan, you're doing something wrong. If I leave the keys in my car in a bad part of town, I don't blame BMW when I get back and it's gone.

No, Ithink its more like a company making a car with faulty locks and not telling the customer about it until your car has been stolen

#34 Quackzilla   who am i? CAGiversary!   6050 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Quackzilla

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:30 PM

No I just hate the constant barage of trojans and viruses and the need for constant updates just to make sure my computer will still be up and running tomarrow. Windows has so many loop holes in their PC software that hackers can exploit that there is almost a daily need to update antivirus software.

The people I was complaining about are the same people who write those viruses and worms.

My antivirus subscriprion expired last year and funnily enough my computer runs fine, and nothing so far has penetrated my firewall.

I am runing XP SP1 and Norton antivirus (2001). I have had no need to update either in a long, long time.

I did get one virus, though. But it was an old one so Norton caught it. I was glad I didn't pay for the renewal.

#35 Lootr2Core   Give a hoot don't loot. CAGiversary!   1600 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Lootr2Core

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:32 PM

No I just hate the constant barage of trojans and viruses and the need for constant updates just to make sure my computer will still be up and running tomarrow. Windows has so many loop holes in their PC software that hackers can exploit that there is almost a daily need to update antivirus software.

The people I was complaining about are the same people who write those viruses and worms.

My antivirus subscriprion expired last year and funnily enough my computer runs fine, and nothing so far has penetrated my firewall.

I am runing XP SP1 and Norton antivirus (2001). I have had no need to update either in a long, long time.

I did get one virus, though. But it was an old one so Norton caught it. I was glad I didn't pay for the renewal.

evil note to self... be sure to attack quackzilla's computer... :)

#36 captainfrizo   Member of CAG Before It Was Big CAGiversary!   3414 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

captainfrizo

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:33 PM

After reading Nickel and Dimed I'd say Wal-Mart.

#37 fwacce   011001100111011101100001011000110110001101100101 CAGiversary!   711 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:33 PM

FATWALLET

#38 hutno   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2226 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:34 PM

Honestly guys I don't think microsoft is the worst but I deal with computers daily and there nothing more frustrating then seeing all the loopholes. I couldn't live without my xbox and its deffinitely proff that microsoft can make a high quality product the first time. I can't blame them for wanting more money for new versions of windows, but is it wrong to want a quality product for my PC when i first buy it?

EDIT: changed from stream of thought to english

#39 dtcarson   No cute in-joke here. CAGiversary!   3407 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

dtcarson

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:36 PM

M$
http://www.penny-arc...002-07-22&res=l

Assuming this wasn't sarcastic, did you read Tycho's news update for that strip?

"It's often assumed that you can assume a computing enthusiast hates Microsoft, and I think that's why people pepper mails to us with it - I'd imagine people just automatically think we'd agree with the sentiment. It simply isn't true. We do love virtue and detest bullshit. But I think Microsoft has had - thus far - a Net Positive Effect.

It's rare that you see one of our number - geeks and gamers, all - say anything positive about Microsoft, because MS is the veritable embodiment of The Man. They are like the Avatar of The Man here on Earth. And you can't throw in your lot with him if you want to maintain your underground credentials. Well, if we ever had those, here they go. When I say that I think Microsoft has had a Net Positive Effect, I'm not just trying to flaunt my iconoclasm. My experience with x86 personal computers has gotten more sensible with every Microsoft operating system I've installed. Admittedly, I never installed ME. But I didn't need to. 98 was fine until it was time to graduate to 2k, and despite the computing apocalypse that Windows XP's Product Activation features were supposed to ignite, I've never had the first problem with it, and it's not like I don't upgrade shit. I like using their programs. I like going into a store and having so Goddamn many things available for my operating system that I can't decide and just go home. "

Other than that, SCO GROUP INC does sound pretty bad.
I agree with Cornfedwb. No company is perfect, and many things a company [or a person] does can be interpreted in positive or negative ways, or have some positive and some negative effects, but:
* There's nothing wrong with making money.
* You can make money while still being 'moral/ethical.'
* There's no such thing as a product that's perfect.

I would like to know how many people who think of Microsoft or KFC or whatever as 'evil', would think the same if *you* were that top man. Is it evil, or is it jealousy/envy?

As far as I know, no companies nowadays really rely on slavery, or molest children or run over dogs or defile churches. [The closest I can think of is the companies who used sweatshops and child labor, which is certainly wrong.]

And a company's job is to make money. If it doesn't make money, people lose jobs, stockholders lose investments, usually the CEO bails out with a golden parachute, and isn't *that* more evil than anything mentioned here so far? To make a promise, to fail miserably, then to bail out without making amends.

#40 Storamin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   647 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Storamin

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:38 PM

If I leave the keys in my car in a bad part of town, I don't blame BMW when I get back and it's gone.

BMW's are the best. Microsoft rules, too. Most people are too stupid to understand, unfourtunately.

#41 Squirms   Hold Your Applause CAGiversary!   931 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:38 PM

THe most evil company, no doubt about it- Initech.

#42 eldad9   Join Date: Jun 2002 CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:44 PM

if you get a virus or a trojan, you're doing something wrong. If I leave the keys in my car in a bad part of town, I don't blame BMW when I get back and it's gone.

What a horrible analogy.

A car is a physical object; of course there are ways to defeat any kind of physical security.

Software is a logical entity; if it is flawless, an attacker will never be able to compromise it. Attackers can only hope that there are exploitable flaws in it.

It's terrible (and incidentally, microsoft's fault) that people are so used to computers malfunctioning, they don't even consider the fact they shouldn't be that way.

#43 dtcarson   No cute in-joke here. CAGiversary!   3407 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

dtcarson

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:47 PM

No, Ithink its more like a company making a car with faulty locks and not telling the customer about it until your car has been stolen

Hmm...Perhaps. But this somewhat falls into the 'caveat emptor' realm. Who uses a computer, and *doesn't* know that there are some basic risks/instability to that? And MS does offer those free updates, where they try to counter these attacks.
I took my car into the shop this week to have a taillight bulb replaced. As I was there, they said 'Oh there was a recall on your tailgate, we'll go ahead and do that too.' I had no idea.
So this situation does happen for cars as well.
Regarding your comment "but is it wrong to want a quality product for my PC?"
Not at all. What did you buy? Did you buy a computer with Windows/Microsoft programs? Then the fault is partially yours--if it sells, they'll sell it. You could buy a Mac, you could run Linux or Unix or whatever else there is.
Please don't think I'm attacking you--it's just that you're about the only person who's not just listed a name of an 'evil company' : )

#44 Quackzilla   who am i? CAGiversary!   6050 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Quackzilla

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:50 PM

I find it hilarius how people say Linux/Unix/MacOS are perfect.

It just shows how naive they are.

#45 dtcarson   No cute in-joke here. CAGiversary!   3407 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

dtcarson

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:51 PM

if you get a virus or a trojan, you're doing something wrong. If I leave the keys in my car in a bad part of town, I don't blame BMW when I get back and it's gone.

What a horrible analogy.

A car is a physical object; of course there are ways to defeat any kind of physical security.

Software is a logical entity; if it is flawless, an attacker will never be able to compromise it. Attackers can only hope that there are exploitable flaws in it.

It's terrible (and incidentally, microsoft's fault) that people are so used to computers malfunctioning, they don't even consider the fact they shouldn't be that way.

Nothing is flawless.
It's not microsoft's fault, it's the public's for buying 'malfunctioning' software and computers. If people didn't buy it, or if they *demanded* 'flawless' software, it would happen. And by 'demand' I mean buy alternatives, hit them inthe evil wallet, rather than just whine on the internet and make cutesy M$'s. It's not McDonald's 'fault' people are obese. It is their fault for frying fries in fattening oil. If the consumer demanded otherwise, it would change.

#46 eldad9   Join Date: Jun 2002 CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:52 PM

Well, you couldn't run Unix, because then you'd be doing business with the SCO group (see above). Linux and the various *BSDs are an acceptable alternative though.

#47 dtcarson   No cute in-joke here. CAGiversary!   3407 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

dtcarson

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:54 PM

I find it hilarius how people say Linux/Unix/MacOS are perfect.

It just shows how naive they are.

Assuming that's directed at me--I didn't say they were perfect. As I said above, nothing is flawless. I haven't used a Mac since college.
My point was simply that, if Microsoft is so bad and evil and make such crappy products, buy something else. Why should Microsoft or any company work on improving products, if what they have sells great?

#48 eldad9   Join Date: Jun 2002 CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:56 PM

Nothing's flawless - yet.

Partly because there's no market demand for quality software.

#49 Xevious   Most Damned CAG Evar CAGiversary!   8923 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:05 PM

Someone was asking about KFC. Here two articles about them:

http://www.sfgate.co...1134EDT0117.DTL

Here is another article about KFC promoting themselves as diet food:

KFC claims fried chicken is an Atkins-friendly food

By Maxine Frith, Social Affairs Correspondent

29 October 2003

The fast food giant KFC has become the latest - and most unlikely - company to exploit the huge popularity of the Atkins Diet.

The fried chicken brand launched an advertising campaign to persuade consumers that eating its meals can help them slim. The campaign, airing in the US this week, boasts that KFC's secret recipe for chicken is the perfect low-carbohydrate, high-protein choice for Atkins slimmers. Advertisements feature two men who bump into each other, with one exclaiming: "Man, you look fantastic!" Asked for the secret of his great look, the other reveals: "Eatin' chicken." A voiceover explains: "If you're going low-carb, high-protein, go KFC."

The Atkins Diet, now a global dieting brand, advocates cutting out carbohydrates and eating more protein such as meat in order to slim.

Only the small print of the advertisement admits that fried chicken is "not a low-fat, low-sodium, low-cholesterol food".

The "Atkins effect" has boosted sales of steak, fish and cheese in the UK, while bakers and potato merchants have reported falling profits.

#50 Cornfedwb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3353 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:08 PM

29 October 2003

The fast food giant KFC has become the latest - and most unlikely - company to exploit the huge popularity of the Atkins Diet.

The fried chicken brand launched an advertising campaign to persuade consumers that eating its meals can help them slim. The campaign, airing in the US this week, boasts that KFC's secret recipe for chicken is the perfect low-carbohydrate, high-protein choice for Atkins slimmers. Advertisements feature two men who bump into each other, with one exclaiming: "Man, you look fantastic!" Asked for the secret of his great look, the other reveals: "Eatin' chicken." A voiceover explains: "If you're going low-carb, high-protein, go KFC."

The Atkins Diet, now a global dieting brand, advocates cutting out carbohydrates and eating more protein such as meat in order to slim.

Only the small print of the advertisement admits that fried chicken is "not a low-fat, low-sodium, low-cholesterol food".

The "Atkins effect" has boosted sales of steak, fish and cheese in the UK, while bakers and potato merchants have reported falling profits.

They ARE a atkins-friendly food.. where is the problem and how in the hell does this make KFC evil? They dont' say KFC is healthy and good for all diets.. they say its low-carb, high-protein... which is IS.

Dumbass.

#51 Tromack   Vitriolic since 1997 CAGiversary!   3226 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:11 PM

29 October 2003

So they are evil for not buying food from a company that abused animals? Those heartless bastards.

#52 MrBadExample   Puny humans... CAGiversary!   2698 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

MrBadExample

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:11 PM

If you would have looked at the link before calling someone a dumbass you would have seen that KFC is in hot water now for cruelty to animals.

#53 Lootr2Core   Give a hoot don't loot. CAGiversary!   1600 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Lootr2Core

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:12 PM

29 October 2003

They ARE a atkins-friendly food.. where is the problem and how in the hell does this make KFC evil? They dont' say KFC is healthy and good for all diets.. they say its low-carb, high-protein... which is IS.

Dumbass.

Hey hey hey now.. didn't you just say in another post .."If you can't make a point without using profanity.. buy a 'Word-A-Day' calender and expand your vocabulary." :lol:

#54 Tromack   Vitriolic since 1997 CAGiversary!   3226 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:13 PM

If you would have looked at the link before calling someone a dumbass you would have seen that KFC is in hot water now for cruelty to animals.

If you would have looked at the link you would have seen that it wasn't KFC, and they are no longer buying from that plant.

#55 Cornfedwb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3353 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:13 PM

A. You can't be cruel to animals, they're animals

B. Simply by posting that asinine article about them saying they're atkins friendly as proof of them being evil.. that equates to dumbass.

edit - C. The other article is about certain employees at a supplier of KFC (not KFC) being cruel to animals. So sure, we'll say those few employees at a chicken processing plant that supply KFC are evil.. but someone explain the leap of logic that takes that to mean KFC is evil.

#56 Vampire Hunter D   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   941 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Vampire Hunter D

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:14 PM

Walmart

#57 Cornfedwb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3353 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:17 PM

And dumbass just conveys alot of meaning that other words simply can't. Some people just need branded with the Dumbass label. Like assuming either of those articles made KFC into an evil corporation.

#58 Xevious   Most Damned CAG Evar CAGiversary!   8923 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:34 PM

Dumbass.

Cornfed. Your missing the whole point. It doesn't matter whether KFC is atkins friendly. its the fact that they are advertising themselves as diet food.

If you ask any nutritionist or doctor accross the country if a person should eat KFC to lose weight, the answer will always be NO. Fried Chicken is not what you should eat to lose weight - pure and simple.

Those KFC commercials are nothing more than propaganda. If you buy into that, then you are the dumb-ass and I'd suspect fat-ass too!

#59 shadylane   Believe... CAGiversary!   2596 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:38 PM

7 eleven

#60 Lootr2Core   Give a hoot don't loot. CAGiversary!   1600 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Lootr2Core

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:46 PM

Evil=-Producing or threatening sorrow, distress, injury, or calamity; unpropitious; calamitous; as, evil tidings; evil arrows; evil days.

Having qualities tending to injury and mischief;

Nothing really comes to mind to fit that definition of evil.. Maybe some coal companies back 50+ years ago, (where you had to buy your house, and supplies from the same company..could never get out 'from under' them)

Legion of Doom maybe would be the only company that is threatening injury/sorrow.

A company that takes outdated babyfood and tries to remark the expiration date for a quick buck would be evil (but I don't know of any of those)

Remember those SNL commercials back in the 70's with Dan Ackroyd.. Selling 'kids' toys like BAG o Glass?