CAGcast #30: E3 2006 Wrap Up Show

Agreed with most of the "winners." I have the same concerns about these early Revolution games.

Where's that Slate article you mentioned? The link just goes back to this thread, like a never-ending time paradox with no escape.

Also something to add to Wombat's theory about how name could affect the next-gen movie disc war. Not only will the name HD-DVD appeal more to those who know nothing about the difference in the formats (they know High Definition and DVD, but HD-DVDs will most likely be cheaper since they can be produced on existing DVD manufacturing equipment with a few modifications (if I am remembering correctly) whereas Blu-ray discs require new equipment.

Those Famitsu polls should be taken lightly due to that only gamers reply to them I think. You wouldn't consider some poll on CAG to represent all of America for example. Who knows though I could be wrong.

:Flies back from Wikipedia:

[quote name='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVDs']By the spring of 1999 the price of a DVD player had dropped below $300 US. At that point Wal-Mart began to offer DVD players for sale, but DVDs represented only a small part of their video inventory; VHS tapes of films made up the remainder. Wal-Mart's competitors followed suit, and DVDs began to increase in popularity with American consumers.

DVD rentals first topped those of VHS during the week of June 15, 2003 (27.7 M rentals DVD vs. 27.3 M rentals VHS). Major U.S. retailers Circuit City and Best Buy stopped selling VHS tapes in 2002 and 2003, respectively.[/quote]

The way I see it, there were three major factors in the success of DVDs:
1. The Wal-Mart Effect: Described above; Wal-Mart started to sell DVDs, competitors followed suit; consumers took notice.

2. TV on DVD: Seriously, putting entire seasons of TV shows on DVDs was one of the best things to happen to the format, since people with VHS were stuck with shelves of videos that contained 2 or 3 episodes each. This established a major advantage of DVDs. Heck, I have a strong feeling that a good chunk of people who bought The Simpsons Season 1 box set bought their first DVD player with it.

3. Bonus Features: C'mon, you'd be lying if you didn't think it was neat to browse through the menu and look through the special features that were in your first DVD, your friend's/family member's DVDs, or the DVDs on display at your local store. It was something that was impossible to do on VHS, and the features made the DVD version of movies seem like a better value.

In short, DVDs gave consumers some pretty convincing reasons to switch from VHS, and Wal-Mart helped introduce these reasons into the mainstream. If either HD DVD or Blu-Ray wants to even start the war, then they need to give reasons to switch from DVDs. Unfortunately, it will be tough to make the major improvements that are comparable to the advantages that DVDs had over VHS. I mean, you have 15-23.3GB of space, so what are ya' gonna do with it, Movie Companies?

As for who would win the HD DVD/Blu-Ray, I agree with Wombat that the mainstream buyer will go for HD DVD because of the name (And possibly the lower price; $499

Hmm... I think you guys might have stumbled across something you should do every week at the very end of the CAGcast. The mentioning of all the deals that help out the site by using the CAG links almost seemed like the sponsors that many other casts have at the end of their shows. Seems like it would be a good idea to keep something like that in the format to point out the sales going on and remind people to use the CAG links. Nothing too over the top, but something short like you guys did in this episode.

[quote name='Cao Cao']:Flies back from Wikipedia:

The way I see it, there were three major factors in the success of DVDs:
1. The Wal-Mart Effect: Described above; Wal-Mart started to sell DVDs, competitors followed suit; consumers took notice.

2. TV on DVD: Seriously, putting entire seasons of TV shows on DVDs was one of the best things to happen to the format, since people with VHS were stuck with shelves of videos that contained 2 or 3 episodes each. This established a major advantage of DVDs. Heck, I have a strong feeling that a good chunk of people who bought The Simpsons Season 1 box set bought their first DVD player with it.

3. Bonus Features: C'mon, you'd be lying if you didn't think it was neat to browse through the menu and look through the special features that were in your first DVD, your friend's/family member's DVDs, or the DVDs on display at your local store. It was something that was impossible to do on VHS, and the features made the DVD version of movies seem like a better value.

In short, DVDs gave consumers some pretty convincing reasons to switch from VHS, and Wal-Mart helped introduce these reasons into the mainstream. If either HD DVD or Blu-Ray wants to even start the war, then they need to give reasons to switch from DVDs. Unfortunately, it will be tough to make the major improvements that are comparable to the advantages that DVDs had over VHS. I mean, you have 15-23.3GB of space, so what are ya' gonna do with it, Movie Companies?

As for who would win the HD DVD/Blu-Ray, I agree with Wombat that the mainstream buyer will go for HD DVD because of the name (And possibly the lower price; $499

[quote name='shipwreck']Hmm... I think you guys might have stumbled across something you should do every week at the very end of the CAGcast. The mentioning of all the deals that help out the site by using the CAG links almost seemed like the sponsors that many other casts have at the end of their shows. Seems like it would be a good idea to keep something like that in the format to point out the sales going on and remind people to use the CAG links. Nothing too over the top, but something short like you guys did in this episode.[/quote]Excellent suggestion...thanks!

[quote name='trip1eX']3. YOu don't have to rewind a DVD. YOu can skip to whatever chapter of a movie you want to. [/QUOTE]
*:lol: as I remember Blockbuster's "Rewind your DVDs" blunder*

I posted this in the other E3 article thread, but I'm not sure if you're reading it anymore, so...

Regarding Zelda, I'd like to point out that the series always holds your hand and introduces things to you one at a time. So while the controls might have been tough to get the hang of, that's probably because they threw you in with so much stuff when you were unused to the controller.

It's like being thrown right into the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time if you had never used the N64 controller before. Of course you'd be overwhelmed. But in the actual game, I'm sure they'll teach you each aspect of the controls one at a time. That's what Zelda games always do.

Great show as always, guys. LOL @ that Slate article. What a load of BS.

Also...bring back the Hype Wagon! I know Cheapy hates it, but now that E3 has come and gone, you should have PLENTY of stuff to throw on there.

First off, I wanted to echo LordWow's sentiments that the Wii is the first console I've been excited about in forever. But there's one small feature I think will be key for the system. If the startup noise (over the Wii logo) is Wombat saying "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!" It could easily be bigger than that silly "Dawning of Aquarius" chorus singing SEGA at the start of Sonic. ;)

bread's done
Back