Lets be real...can you still support SONY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddy

CAGiversary!
With everything we know now from Phil Harrison lies to missing components and empty promises does anyone think SONY will end up in a good position? I STILL cant understand why everyone who wants a PS3 is happy about a Blu-Ray player being included...I mean its a combo electronic device (BIG NO-NO) if your PS3 breaks then your movie player is broken too...who the hell buys combo devices? Old people do.....thats about it

I don't really give a damn about hardware features like Blu Ray, but as long as Sony's system is getting stuff like MGS 4, I'm pretty much forced to buy the system.

Sony will be ok. For all the shit that I give them, they wouldn't be in business if they were stupid. I truly don't like Blue-Ray, some of their practices, and the $600 price tag is just fucking asinine to me, but I don't see them going anywhere.

[quote name='Chacrana']I don't really give a damn about hardware features like Blu Ray, but as long as Sony's system is getting stuff like MGS 4, I'm pretty much forced to buy the system.[/QUOTE]

Wouldnt be surprised to see this on 360 in the future...lol

I never supported SONY, i supported RPGs. I could care less what console is made by whom, as long as it has games I want to play. I won't spend $600 on a console, but as great games come out and the price drops, eventually the two lines intersect and thats when it's time to purchase.

They did the same thing when the PS2 came out (Still waiting for the Toy Story graphics) and people still ate them up. Sony isn't worried.

Myself, I love my 360 and will wait for a true price drop or a Killer App for my PS3 purchase

I have a love hate relationship with Sony. I hate their hardware. I can only get certain games on their systems though...and I like the fact that their systems are backwards compatible. I'm waiting though this gen to see how things pan out before jumping in.

I'll wait for Assassins Creed to come out to judge...this is the only game I have seen that would make me purchase a PS3 at this point. Of course, if they anounce a 360 version...

[quote name='Number83']I'll wait for Assassins Creed to come out to judge...this is the only game I have seen that would make me purchase a PS3 at this point. Of course, if they anounce a 360 version...[/QUOTE]

I think I read somewhere that the E3 version was running on a 360. It was a story on IGN but they took it down. Can't seem to find the link to the original article anymore.

Ubisoft hasn't denied that AC will be on the 360 though.

I'll wait 1-3 years for the dust to settle and a few models of the PS3 are released to get the bugs and kinks out of the system. If the 360 had so much funk with it during launch, I shutter to think what the PS3 will go through.

I'll wait a year, and my money will go where the games are. I'm not really interested in paying $60 a game for ANY of the new systems, so I'll wait until there is some used or discounted stuff too. It doesn't really matter what any Sony rep, or any other brand for that matter says, you can always read the box of the product you are buying to find out what it does.

I hardly ever watch DVD's because I think they usually aren't worth buying, so Blu-Ray won't mean anything to me. But it is nice that I can just use the PS2 to play something when I do want to watch it. For that reason I wouldn't buy the PS3 for its Blu-Ray function.

I don't care what company makes what system, and I also don't really care what kind of business they do since I'm not a shareholder of any of them. If I can only afford to purchase one system, I will go with whatever one has the most games that I like. For the last two generations of systems that has been Sony's machine, but that could change here and only time will tell. If MGS4 can come out for the 360, that will be a significant factor for me since right now thats the main game I'm interested in for PS3.

Crap. I voted for #3 but I definitely plan on doing #4 about 3 or 4 times over and then if I make enough money off of that I might keep one for myself... there are too many dumbasses out there who will pay $1,000 if there are shortages...

[quote name='willardhaven']what do you guys do if there are no shortages? lose money?[/quote]

Return the systems where I bought them - it's a win-win...

[quote name='suffah']I think I read somewhere that the E3 version was running on a 360. It was a story on IGN but they took it down. Can't seem to find the link to the original article anymore.

Ubisoft hasn't denied that AC will be on the 360 though.[/quote]

W00t!!!! I hope you're right!!!!!

[quote name='willardhaven']what do you guys do if there are no shortages? lose money?[/QUOTE]

There will definitely be shortages...a near-thanksgiving/xmas launch almost guarantees it.

The question is, how big will the margin be? I wouldn't be surprise if it's at least 100%

The other thing is, it may be difficult to even secure ONE. With all the gauging that happened with the 360 (even ebay semi-encouraged it), the speculators/prospectors will be out in full force. Which means, once again, the true gamers get screwed over by the mainstream crowd.

I'd like to say I'll wait a year or so to get a PS3 once there's a price drop, which is probably the best way to go about, but there is that obsessive tech geek part of me that really makes me want to pick one up at launch. Of course unless I win the lottery I'll probably be best off going with the first option. I've resisted the 360 thus far, so I think I can handle avoiding the PS3 for awhile. The Wii on the other hand. . .

Ill be picking one up at launch. $600 for all it does is a good price to me. I dont give a shit what the name on my system is, I just want to play the games.

[quote name='Daddy']With everything we know now from Phil Harrison lies to missing components and empty promises does anyone think SONY will end up in a good position? I STILL cant understand why everyone who wants a PS3 is happy about a Blu-Ray player being included...I mean its a combo electronic device (BIG NO-NO) if your PS3 breaks then your movie player is broken too...who the hell buys combo devices? Old people do.....thats about it[/QUOTE]

Sony will end up in a great position.

Blue ray roms can hold a ton of storage. which is why i love that it isnt an adon like hddvd is for 360. everygame can now utilize up to 200gig of space on a bd rom. This is a system made for the future of gaming andnot just a more powerful system with a new number attached to it (ps1 to ps2 and xbx to 360)

Including a HDD in every system is also the best move for the future of gaming.

As for your "combo drive" bashing. ever heard of dreamcast? ps1? ps2? xbox? xbox 360? all do more then just play game discs.

So looks like everyone buys "combo devices" .

I only have loyalty to the games. I bought a GC simply because of RE4 and Monkey Ball, an XBox solely for Halo 2, and my PS2 i got a year after launch because of MGS2.

I don't give a crap about blu-ray at the moment.

by the time I do, it'll be included in HTIB systems with "brand new" technology like "progressive scan" or whatever they come up with, with the best "new" plug in, better than HDMI, whatever that'll be.

the only reason i want the PS3 is because Sony has the best RPGs, MGS, Tekken, VF, etc. etc.

they have all the franchises. But we'll see if those franchises stay loyal to Sony if the PS3 doesn't sell as well as forcasted in the first year. (btw, i'm in the camp that WON'T buy the PS3 at launch)

Sony's pretty much guarenteed to be 1st again... honestly, with the market the PS2 has they could've fucked up even worse with the PS3 but the general consumer just isn't that smart. Chances are, 80% of PS2 owners will end up with a PS3 just because they'll think the PS3 is ____ times better than the PS2.

Besides, if the games are good then I doubt gamers won't buy one once the price is right.

I really dont think the momentum carries over that heavily, especially if you keep making decisions that people frown on. Sure, consumers as well as people in general, are pretty dumb, but I still dont think they are guaranteed the crown again. They are not immune from failing.

You'd think the momentum of the SNES wouldve carried over to the N64.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']You'd think the momentum of the SNES wouldve carried over to the N64.[/quote]

Excellent point

I can't afford a system where the hardware alone costs $600. When the price comes down into the $250 and below range, then maybe I'll consider it.

Maybe we should start thinking about combining resources to sell some PS3s. I'd love to have a PS3 but with all this potential profit, I can't help trying to flip at least 4 of these. There's been a bunch of speculation that these might go for $1000 but I have a feeling there will be a couple fat cats around NYC that might be willing to drop more.

I believe Sony is making a huge mistake in putting so much shit in the PS3 that it has pretty much outpriced itself out of the competition. The average gamer most likely doesn't have the income to spend $700 on a console.

Make no mistake, the PS3 is going to be an excellent system. Probably the best one ever made, but at $600, it's out of most people's price range.

It will be interesting to see what Sony does if sales are pretty bad soon after launch. Will they bend and announce a price drop, or will they continue to preach how "cheap" it is and how we should thank them for creating such a work of art?

I've been getting a lot of chuckles from reading stuff on message boards lately (not just this one). It seems message board life is completely removed from the real world. EVERYWHERE I go, people are talking about the PS3 - how they're going to get one, where they can get one, when pre-orders will start. The 360, even when it was selling out, didn't have nearly the same buzz. Most of the people I know who did buy a 360 got it either because a) they get all of the systems or b) they got a really good deal on one & got it "just because".

EVERYONE wants a PS3. It will be nearly impossible to find, and will sell through the roof. But if you went by what you hear on message boards, there would only be 3-4 people lined up at launch to buy it, and everyone would be buying a Wii instead. Of course, if you also went by the boards the Gamecube would have been the best-selling console last gen. :p

Maybe your reality is just exceptional. No one I know on this side of the screen is planning on getting a PS3. None of them own a 360, and almost all of them are buying a Wii at launch.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Maybe your reality is just exceptional. No one I know on this side of the screen is planning on getting a PS3. None of them own a 360, and almost all of them are buying a Wii at launch.[/QUOTE]

Your reality is just not the norm apparenty. I would say 60% of the people I talk to and/or hang out with have a 360, and are really pumped for the PS3. People I work with that are not even big in gaming talk about the PS3.

I don't think the price will hurt demand of the Ps3 at all...whatever little johnny wants at xmas time, that's what his parents are gonna get him, REGARDLESS of the price. You'd be surprised at what parents are willing to throw down to shutup their spoiled brats during the holidays.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Your reality is just not the norm apparenty. I would say 60% of the people I talk to and/or hang out with have a 360, and are really pumped for the PS3. People I work with that are not even big in gaming talk about the PS3.[/quote]

Count my reality as not being "the norm" either. People I know are thinking about getting a 360, but when they heard the price of the PS3, the definite launch buy went down to a wait (presumably for a price drop) and buy.

Simply put, I adore a good portion of the PS2 library and have over 120 titles for the PS2 alone...and yet I didn't buy my own PS2 until seven months ago for a song (around $60 for a fat PS2, two controllers, 1st party mem card, headset, network adaptor, and three games).

At this rate I honestly don't see myself even considering a PS3 until well down the line. I like the way some of the games are shaping up but the MSRP is way too high for me to even consider, especially when there are plenty of games out on the market. Why should I consider spending around up to $800 or $850 on a new system and games in a single year when I can wait around, buy most of the games I want when their prices drop for about $150 to $200 and call it a year?

[quote name='toper']I don't think the price will hurt demand of the Ps3 at all...whatever little johnny wants at xmas time, that's what his parents are gonna get him, REGARDLESS of the price. You'd be surprised at what parents are willing to throw down to shutup their spoiled brats during the holidays.[/QUOTE]

Even little johnny has some conception of value and effeciency. If given the choice between a PS3 and one game, or a Wii and four games, I wonder which one he would choose?

[quote name='vinhjdao']Even little johnny has some conception of value and effeciency. If given the choice between a PS3 and one game, or a Wii and four games, I wonder which one he would choose?[/QUOTE]

Little Johnny isn't the target audience for the launch period - it's his dad. ;)

Uh...yes?

Its about the games, and so far the PS3 has the most exclusive games that I want (DMC4, MGS4, Killzone 2, Heavenly Sword, Eight Days, etc)...so until Microsoft can offer me more than FPS/Sports games and Nintendo can get some real 3rd party support I'm sticking with Sony.

While it would be nice to afford and have a PS3 at launch, the lack of interesting launch titles and the high price will keep me from buying one unless I get a large windfall of money between now and then. Couple that with a pretty stellar holiday line up for 360 and the Wii launching at the same time and I don't feel the need to drop $600 on a PS3 in November. I admit, when the 360 came out there wasn't a great load of great launch titles, but I don't see anything on the PS3 list that I want before MGS4 that I can't live without, and that's probably late 2007 at the earliest. Assassins Creed looks cool but I think that will probably end up on 360 at some point, and even if it doesn't I'm not sure it interests me enough to sell me on a PS3.

Also, I think people are overestimating the loyalty of consumers to Sony. Last gen, the PS2 was relatively inexpensive. This generation the launch price of the PS3 is DOUBLE that of the PS2. I personally think that's going to turn away a lot of people that might normally have bought a PS3 at launch, especially if it's launch titles look worse than the current crop of titles for 360. Everything I heard from E3 about Madden 07 for 360 and Madden 07 for PS3 said the 360 version easily looked and played better than the PS3 version. And it's shit like that that is going to reign in casual players IMO. Of course the PS3 will still sell out though, if only because there are going to be people buying 2-3 to sell on eBay.

I honestly don't think any of today's systems have pr oven to be worthy of buying at launch.. the last system that I thought was worth it at launch was the N64.

In the end, it does come down to the launch price for me. A PS3 (downgraded version), an Xbox 360 (premium) + 2 games, or a Wii and five games.

While the power is nice, what good is it if it only lasts for... 10-15 hours of enjoyment (assuming that's the average length of one game).

It's not whether the PS3 will be worth owning... it's a question of when it'll be worth owning.

I voted to wait.

My bro bought the PS2 at launch and it was cool. The graphics were neat but there just weren't enough games at launch. I think we had ready to rumble 2 for a while and then Unreal Tournament. The thrill died fast. My bro then sold it and made a profit. I didn't buy one for myself until GTA 3 came out. When GTA 3 came out I marched over to the nearest Target and bought the system, game, and memory card.
It will probably be a similar story this time around. I'll wait until GTA 4 comes out and then march out to the store and hand over my cash like a chump.

However, since I now have more cash fluidity I will be able to indulge at launch if I want to.
Still, 599 plus 59.99 game and tax wiil be end up totalling 7 bills and change just to get started. That's a lot of money.

[quote name='argyle']Little Johnny isn't the target audience for the launch period - it's his dad. ;)[/quote]

And chances are his dad is going to say fuck Sony when it comes to forking over $600 for a video game console.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']I voted to wait.

My bro bought the PS2 at launch and it was cool. The graphics were neat but there just weren't enough games at launch. I think we had ready to rumble 2 for a while and then Unreal Tournament. The thrill died fast. My bro then sold it and made a profit. I didn't buy one for myself until GTA 3 came out. When GTA 3 came out I marched over to the nearest Target and bought the system, game, and memory card.
It will probably be a similar story this time around. I'll wait until GTA 4 comes out and then march out to the store and hand over my cash like a chump.

However, since I now have more cash fluidity I will be able to indulge at launch if I want to.
Still, 599 plus 59.99 game and tax wiil be end up totalling 7 bills and change just to get started. That's a lot of money.[/quote]

You do realize that GTA 4 is launching simultaneously on the 360 and PS3, right? If all you want to play is GTA 4, you can do it much cheaper than buying from Sony.

[quote name='Daddy']Wouldnt be surprised to see this on 360 in the future...lol[/QUOTE]

I would. Kojima doesn't like ports and ports of MGS games have never turned out as well as they did in their original PS/PS2 iterations.

meh, I can't really afford it but I really want one.

I think this reference to Pulp Fiction is a good one.

The PS3 is like a $5 shake.

The $5 shake is so goddamn good that it will blow your mind away, but it is still $5 for a shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back