Characters in SSBB Sakurai is considering

SMMM

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
Apparently the current result of the Japanese surveys. Here's a few that Sakurai weeded out. I got these from the IGN boards, so take it with a grain of salt if it's not true.

The complete list of characters that Sakurai listed before stopping updating:

Koopa Troopa (Super Mario Bros. - 1985)
Hammer Bros. (Super Mario Bros. - 1985)
Toad (Super Mario Bros. 2 - 1988)
Petey Piranha (Super Mario Sunshine - 2002)
Vivian (Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - 2005)
"Cel-Shaded" Link (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 2002)
Tetra (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 2002)
Link's Uncle (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - 1991)
Ganon/Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda/The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 1986/1998)
Bow Wow the Chain Chomp (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX - 1998)
Ridley (Metroid - 1986)
Sylux (Metroid Prime: Hunters - 2006)
Noxus (Metroid Prime: Hunters - 2006)
Weavel (Metroid Prime: Hunters - 2006)
Peppy Hare (Star Fox - 1993)
Slippy Toad (Star Fox - 1993)
Krystal (Star Fox Adventures - 2002)
Wolf O'Donnell (Star Fox 64 - 1997)
Diddy Kong (solo) (Donkey Kong Country - 1994)
Diddy Kong & Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest - 1994/1995)
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country - 1994)
Ninten (Mother - 1989)
Paula (Mother 2 [EarthBound in the U.S.] - 1994 [1995])
Jeff (Mother 2 [EarthBound in the U.S.] - 1994 [1995])
Poo (Mother 2 [EarthBound in the U.S.] - 1994 [1995])
Claus (Mother 3 - 2006)
Lucas (Mother 3 - 2006)
Princess Kumatora (Mother 3 - 2006)
King Dedede (Kirby's Dreamland - 1992)
Lololo & Lalala (Kirby's Dreamland - 1992)
Marx (Kirby Super Star - 1996)
Jeigan (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Oguma (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Nabarl (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Sheeda (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Maji (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Saji (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Sigurd (Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu - 1996)
Ike (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
Soren (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
Mia (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
The Black Knight (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
Gardevoir (Pokémon Ruby & Pokémon Sapphire - 2003)
Steven Stone (Pokémon Ruby & Pokémon Sapphire - 2003)
Black Shadow (F-Zero X - 1998)
Palutena (Kid Icarus - 1986)
Medusa (Kid Icarus - 1986)
Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus - 1986)
Isaac (Golden Sun - 2001)
Felix (Golden Sun - 2001)
Little Mac (Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream - 1990)
Dragon Chan (Super Punch-Out!! - 1994)
Banker (Mario Paint - 1992)
Ray 01 (Custom Robo - 2004)
Captain Olimar (Pikmin - 2001)
Human Main Character (Animal Forest - 2001)
Tom Nook (Animal Forest - 2001)
Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo! - 2005)
Harry the Robot (Teleroboxer - 1995)
Doctor Wright (SimCity - 1991)**
Muddy (Mole Mania - 1996)
The Blue Virus (Dr. Mario - 1990)
Urban Fighters (Urban Champion - 1984)
Lip (Panel de Pon - 1995)
Furil (Nintendo Puzzle Collection: Panel de Pon - 2003)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou - 1986)
Demiru (Tomato Adventure - 2002)
Tomato Robot (Tomato Adventure - 2002)
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight - 1993)
Donbe (Shin Oni ga Shima - 1987)
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo - 1989)*
Jill (Screw Breaker [Drill Dozer in the U.S.] - 2005 [2006])
Ippongi Ryuta of Cheer Squad (Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan - 2005)
Hero/Heroine (Magical Vacation - 2001)
Professor Kawashima (Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day - 2006)
Master Hand (Super Smash Bros. - 1999)
Crazy Hand (Super Smash Bros. Melee - 2001)
#166 Golden Sun characters and/or Advance Wars infantrymen
#218 Famicom Tantei Club characters

Third Party Suggestions

Mega Man (Capcom) (Mega Man - 1987)
G-Red (Capcom) (Gotcha Force - 2003)
Simon Belmont (Konami) (Castlevania - 1986)
Power Pro-Kun (Konami) (Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu '94 - 1994)
Lupus (Rare) (Jet Force Gemini - 1999)
Geno (Square Enix, Inc.) (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 1996)
Mallow (Square Enix, Inc.) (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 1996)
Sora (Disney/Square Enix, Inc.) (Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories - 2004)
Magnus Gallant (Quest/Nintendo) (Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber - 2000)
Princess Katia (From Software) (Lost Kingdoms - 2002)
Kalas (tri-Crescendo/Monolith Soft) (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - 2003)
Thomas the Kung-Fu Master (Irem) (Spartan X [Kung-Fu in the U.S.] - 1985)

I hope Geno, Megaman, and Simon Belmont make it.

Other than that, I don't care too much for the other people. I'd probably vote in some Mother 3 people IF NINTENDO WOULD RELEASE IT IN ENGLISH, SIGH.

I made two requests for Reggie. I would hope he would appear.

Especially when the world is threatened by GIANT ENEMY CRABS, Reggie will find their weak spot to deal MASSIVE DAMAGE.

Could've sworn Lolo and Lala came from their own series? (Lolo's Adventure, NES?)

Anyway, I'd love for Simon to make an apperance, since using a whip would be pretty unique for the game.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I just want Sonic. Sonic vs Mario is the old school showdown.[/quote]

God dammit yes, must have sonic. Megaman sounds cool too, and King Dedede might be cool.

[quote name='Supercake']Could've sworn Lolo and Lala came from their own series? (Lolo's Adventure, NES?)

Anyway, I'd love for Simon to make an apperance, since using a whip would be pretty unique for the game.[/QUOTE]
That's Lolo and Lulu, not Lololo and Lalala ;)

[quote name='Vinny']Sonic would seem like the obvious choice... maybe they already talked about it and Sega said no?[/quote]

Or maybe they already said yes so there's no point in discussing it? ;)

Oh dear Lord, please not Petey Piranha! The last thing I want to see again is that diaper wearing walking plant.

[quote name='SMMM']
Professor Kawashima (Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day - 2006)
[/quote]
Do you fight by screaming "BLUE BLUE BLUE MOTHERfuckING BLUE!!!" at the controller? Or do you have to add numbers really quick? Worst suggestion ever. I mean ever.
[quote name='SMMM']
Mega Man (Capcom) (Mega Man - 1987)
G-Red (Capcom) (Gotcha Force - 2003)
Simon Belmont (Konami) (Castlevania - 1986)
Princess Katia (From Software) (Lost Kingdoms - 2002)
Kalas (tri-Crescendo/Monolith Soft) (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - 2003)
[/quote]

Something tells me that Mega Man and Sonic are the "unofficially confirmed" characters. What I mean by that, is that if they won't be included in the game, there will be bloody murders.

[quote name='MarioColbert']Do you fight by screaming "BLUE BLUE BLUE MOTHERfuckING BLUE!!!" at the controller? Or do you have to add numbers really quick? Worst suggestion ever. I mean ever.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking something along the lines of his head floating around and attacking the player, who has to fight him along the same lines as Master Hand.

Hell yes on geno. I had wished that it was in the last one, but I guess that fell through. And as for sonic not being on the list, don't forget that there are still many unlockable characters in the newer one.

[quote name='UncleBob']I was thinking something along the lines of his head floating around and attacking the player, who has to fight him along the same lines as Master Hand.[/quote]

That would be.... amazing.

[quote name='TimPV3']Why do we need a poll? Put them all in.[/quote]

Agreed.

Weren't they talking about making this game with a huge roster, like 50+ of uncloned characters?

[quote name='ZombieHendrix']How about unlockable characters that aren't just alternate costumes with the same move lists?[/QUOTE]

The unlockable characters in SSBM may have similar moves, but the subtle differences in attack frames and power result in compeltely different playstyles. The more you play, the more you realize two "clones" do not merely have alternate costumes.

The character Geno is owned by Square-Enix I believe. So that would make him a 3rd party character as well, and a little tougher to obtain the rights.

I never thought of geno before, that'd be fantastic. I hope Geno, Megaman, Captain Olimar, Simon Belmont, Kalas, and sonic.

I also want to see Wolf link from twilight princess. I dont even know how it would work, but i want it. And wind waker link.

I have to make myself stop..........

Waluigi and Petey Pirahna are AIDS, and god damn I hope they don't even have trophies in this game. Waluigi is the worst game character Nintendo has ever made.

I want the pig form of ganon. Then add the whole damn kong family as playables. Go kranky kongs smash attack with his walker!

King K. Rool I dunno if i see happening, but I would be surprised if King Dedede isn't added.

I just want Megaman. Preferably X, but I'd take any iteration so long as he was in the game... is it just a pipe dream? I don't know, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I want Viewtiful Joe to be in this game so badly.

I'd also be fairly surprised not to see Mr. and Mrs. Pac-Man. They are already in the Japanese Mario Kart arcade game.

I really want Jeff, Paula, and Prince Poo.

Also, what about FF characters? I think if Cloud was playable, everyone would freak completely out and buy multiple copies of this game, though I would prefer Mog from FFVI.

With all of the hints of at least 8 million characters in SSBB, I really hope that the balance will still be as perfect as it is in SSBM (Shiek debatable).

[quote name='Giygas']Also, what about FF characters? I think if Cloud was playable, everyone would freak completely out and buy multiple copies of this game, though I would prefer Mog from FFVI.[/QUOTE]
I was just thinking the same thing, since someone else mentioned a character being owned by Square/Enix. Why not throw in Cloud and a few other FF alumni? Can you imagine how many consoles that would sell in Japan for people just wanting to play those characters? Nintendo and Square/Enix seem to be on pretty good terms these days, and I can only imagine that being a big coup for Nintendo.

I'd also like to see some of the SMB2 characters show up, like Wart and Mouser. Maybe these characters aren't very big in Japan, but I think they'd both be pretty unique additions.

I doubt we'd see any ps1/2 ff characters in it, and i wouldnt want to see them. If anything mog would be the best fit with the game, or maybe a chocobo.

If there's going to be a floating head in the game it needs to be Andross, not that crazy doctor.

Oh man. I'm down for hammer bros, Ike (get rid of goddamn Roy...), Claus and Lucas(Where's Flint, damnit!?!?), and Olimar. I'm really, really hoping for only Snake and maybe one other super secret bonus character e.g. Rockman(with all of his damn costumes). It might be nice to see Ryu or Ken thrown into the mix too.

Giygas, RE: Jeff I think he'd just be the damn whipping boy every round. He'd rely real heavy like on guns and gadgets and not a whole lot of movement which is no good in SSB.

Also, I'm really hoping Gene Hackman will be in this. That guy kicks all kinds of ass.

I'm down for a Belmont anyday, but would prefer Alucard :D

Also, do you guys think one of Snake's moves would be laying down dirty magazines?

So I was looking at the Smash Bros. site, and decided to check out the messageboard to see if there was any additional information. While looking, I came upon this:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo...ssage.id=271311&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Now, from the looks of it, I realize the Nintendo forums are POS. Curiosity got the best of me though, and I ran the link in that post through Babelfish (a translator). Interestingly enough, the guy's post seems to match up pretty well with Sakurai's response. I could just make out the details in very bad English:

Some characters will absolutely not be returning. Also, HAL had a shit-load of trouble trying to put together a roster of only 26. In light of that, to think that the roster would be anywhere near the rumored 50 is absurd.

That's some bad, bad news.

[quote name='Greetard']So I was looking at the Smash Bros. site, and decided to check out the messageboard to see if there was any additional information. While looking, I came upon this:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo...ssage.id=271311&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Now, from the looks of it, I realize the Nintendo forums are POS. Curiosity got the best of me though, and I ran the link in that post through Babelfish (a translator). Interestingly enough, the guy's post seems to match up pretty well with Sakurai's response. I could just make out the details in very bad English:

Some characters will absolutely not be returning. Also, HAL had a shit-load of trouble trying to put together a roster of only 26. In light of that, to think that the roster would be anywhere near the rumored 50 is absurd.

That's some bad, bad news.[/QUOTE]

i will take that with a grain of salt, though i could def see mewtwo gone and pichu too

If these characters do make it into the game, the possibilities would be amazing.

Link vs. Belmont

Samus vs. Mega Man

Mario vs. Sonic

[quote name='cochesecochese']Good. Make them be all of the Pokemon that weren't Jigglypuff and Mr.Game and Watch.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i will take that with a grain of salt, though i could def see mewtwo gone and pichu too[/QUOTE]

You crazy.

Pikachu, Mr. Game & Watch, and Mewtwo will almost definitely return. My guess is Dr. Mario, Pichu, Marth or Roy, and Young Link. You know, most of the clones.

Heheh. That doesn't mean I have to like it. I wish Dr.Mario would get nuked and they'd just give Mario the Dr.Mario costume instead. Who cares if he shoots fireballs instead of pills?

[quote name='Greetard']So I was looking at the Smash Bros. site, and decided to check out the messageboard to see if there was any additional information. While looking, I came upon this:

That's some bad, bad news.[/QUOTE]

This isn't HAL Labs though. This is an entirely new studio made solely for Smash Bros Brawl. I think they might surprise us. I'm thinking at least 35.

Phoenix Wright would make an absurdly good addition to SSB:B

Brawl attack could be a huge version of the judge in the background crushes everyone with his gavel.. lol.

Damn, having Geno in the game would be roughly the greatest thing ever. I'm still praying for Sonic to show up, as a Mario vs. Sonic showdown is something I've been dreaming about since I was like, 5 years old or so. Mega man would just be icing on the cake.

I'm also praying for the Ouendan guys to show up, maybe as some sort of crazy item or something.

bread's done
Back