Anybody have a few links on the actual building of PC's?

SS4Brolly

CAGiversary!
This could probebly go in the PC forum, but I think I'd get more responces here.

Anyways, by Saturday all my parts that I've ordered should be at my house and ready to assembly. What Im wondering is that does anybody have a site or two that has PLEANTY of pictures (Or even video) of what to do and in what order.

Thanks!

Not much help from me, but you may have a friend who could help you with it and not even know it. I know I don't advertise my computer put-togethering skills for fear of being hounded by family members, but if a friend were to ask I'd exchange an afternoon to walk through them with it for some manner of big sandwich, so, you know, ask around.

I don't know of any sites, but feel free to pm me with any questions.

Here is a quick guide:

1. Make sure your order is complete with all parts you paid for

2. Make sure all your parts are compatible - read manual

3. Get your case ready - remove any sharp edges if need be

4. before installing your mobo in the case put in the cpu/heatsink/fan and memory - I recommend an artic silver paste

5. Then put the mobo in and plug in leds and vid card - make sure to touch the inside of the case first to avoid static shock

6. With the mobo in and vidcard, power, and power button/leds hooked up turn it on to see if the mobo boots up - make sure the cpu fan runs else turn it off quick.

7. If the mobo boots up hook the rest up to it and you are ready to rock

[quote name='SS4Brolly']Artic Silver paste? Something else I'm gonna need to buy?[/quote]

You don't need to buy it, but it is highly recommended since it will lower your cpu temp.

Artic Silver has a lot of products, but I recommend Ceramique as it is easy to use and apply without the scare of screwing up your cpu cause of a short.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/

EDIT: And if you are gonna buy some buy it from Newegg.

Word to the wise.. if you don't know how to build a computer.. buy one pre-built. There are a myriad of things you can mess up and a pile of small little things that can go wrong or be missed/forgotten.

Not to mention.. buying all the parts is very rarely less expensive than buying a Dell.

edit - And unless you're very patient.. just go to your local computer store to get cpu heat paste.. no reason to wait for NewEgg to ship it to you.

edit - And unless you're very patient.. just go to your local computer store to get cpu heat paste.. no reason to wait for NewEgg to ship it to you.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about since Newegg is one of the fastest shippers around - 2 to 3 days on Saver shipping.

Also your local store is gonna ass rape you on the price of a little tube of paste which will most likely be some no name crap and not artic silver.

Regular thermal paste is fine unless you:

-Plan to overclock your CPU

-Are running a very high end CPU

-Are a benchmark whore

I don't think any of these apply to the OP. As long as you have good air flow and enough fans, heat is not much of an issue.

I just don't get it. Where is the need to say "you obviously don't know what you're talking about." Why not just give your opinion, that newegg will ship it fast and cost less...and leave out the insult. That's very immature of you.

[quote name='Scrubking']edit - And unless you're very patient.. just go to your local computer store to get cpu heat paste.. no reason to wait for NewEgg to ship it to you.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about since Newegg is one of the fastest shippers around - 2 to 3 days on Saver shipping.

Also your local store is gonna ass rape you on the price of a little tube of paste which will most likely be some no name crap and not artic silver.[/quote]

It's pretty simple. First step is to open the case. Take out any erranous junk that might be in there and put it off to the side (you'll probably need it later). Take out the motherboard after you're grounded and basically put it in the case and screw it in. Probably the hardest part right there as something you have to jiggle it around or switch the I/O shield and put another one in (the thing on the back of the case that the plugs stick out of). Just make sure to read the manual of your motherboard if you're unsure of something. The processor goes in pretty easily, same with the ram and PCI/AGP cards.

If you're stuck with something we'll be glad to help ;)

[quote name='Scrubking']edit - And unless you're very patient.. just go to your local computer store to get cpu heat paste.. no reason to wait for NewEgg to ship it to you.

Also your local store is gonna ass rape you on the price of a little tube of paste which will most likely be some no name crap and not artic silver.[/quote]

First off (and just FYI, I'm MCSE + I and A+ certified, so I'm not talking out of my ass here).. Arctic Silver is no better than normal thermal paste. Secondly, a mom&pop computer store by me sells it for less than NewEgg, and I don't have to pay shipping. So instead of randomly throwing out insults simply because your suggestiong was shown to be a poor one.. grow up.

First of all, by saying that you have to be "very patient" you are insinuating that Newegg takes a long time - which it doesn't - so you don't know what you are talking about there.

Secondly your mom and pop store is exactly that a store that is by YOU and not necessarily by Brolly so you assumtion that he can get the same price and availability just cause you can is ignorant, and the many artic silver reviews speak for themselves.

Not to mention that your advice for him to buy a dell was flat out stupid since he already said he bought all of the parts.

I wasn't insulting you earlier, but now I am and you are a low tolerance dumbass who doesn't know what an insult is. Remember this is the internet.

You are acting like a total jerk and it's not necessary. He's right, you really do need to grow up. Try being a little more respectful of others and their opinions - give that a whirl why don't you.

[quote name='Scrubking']First of all, by saying that you have to be "very patient" you are insinuating that Newegg takes a long time - which it doesn't - so you don't know what you are talking about there.

Secondly your mom and pop store is exactly that a store that is by YOU and not necessarily by Brolly so you assumtion that he can get the same price and availability just cause you can is ignorant, and the many artic silver reviews speak for themselves.

Not to mention that your advice for him to buy a dell was flat out stupid since he already said he bought all of the parts.

I wasn't insulting you earlier, but now I am and you are a low tolerance dumbass who doesn't know what an insult is. Remember this is the internet.[/quote]

[quote name='Scrubking']First of all, by saying that you have to be "very patient" you are insinuating that Newegg takes a long time - which it doesn't - so you don't know what you are talking about there.

I wasn't insulting you earlier, but now I am and you are a low tolerance dumbass who doesn't know what an insult is. Remember this is the internet.[/quote]

Read my post dumbass. I never suggested him buying a dell, I pointed out its usually not much of a savings to buy the parts as opposed to buying a dell. Secondly, I do this stuff for a living, Arctic Silver is a joke, its overrated. Third, I guarantee he can get a good thermal paste somewhere close to him for less than Newegg charges for Arctic Silver plus shipping, and he'll end up getting it quicker.

If you're going to be an immature prick, atleast read what I wrote first.

Back on topic for OP. This site is a start. It has a section of articles that has some tips and a links section to other sites. I have more links at home that I use but I can't remember their URL's. Building a PC is not nearly as hard as it used to be. I use to always be afraid of the voltage setting on the MB. I never fried a computer in all my years but I still hold my breath, you never know. Just do plenty of research before you start.

http://www.motherboards.org/

Building a PC is not nearly as hard as it used to be.

Word.

Building a pc is very easy, especially with all of the info on the internet - no matter what the so called pros tell you. They have to say it's hard or else they wouldn't be able to take your money. :wink:

@Brolly
Also don't forget to backup your info and get all of the drivers ready on a cd before any formating or dismantling. Also set up another way to get on the net if you are taking your old pc apart and need help.

If you check you local library you should find plenty of books on the subject that will be more convenient to have at hand. So long as they're no more than four years old most of the information will be valid for construction purposes. With that on hand you can then use Google to search out information specific to your components.

Get a second or third opinion on everything. Valid information will be widely repeated. Some wild idea on BIOs settings or such you only find in one loacation is probably ill advised.

Well, I dont really have a choice in building it. I already got 80% of the items here (Still waiting of my CPU/Mobo to come in the mail)

Anyways, this is what Im gonna put together:

AMD 64 3200+
Asus K-something Delux Motherboard
1 GB Transcend RAM
250 GB Maxtor SATA HD
ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 XT
XP Pro

I think Im gonna pass on the paste though. I dont plan on doing any OC'ing or leaving it on 24/7. Probebly just solid use from 3PM to 1AM every day. That, and Im over $300 in debt as it is. There isnt any PC stores around me anyways. I read that my CPU runs at a low temp with stock cooling anyways. Im sure I can get it later if I really want to.

Sometime in the future when Im out of the red (Late September, most likely) Ill by a DVD burner and whatnot. Im just gonna gut out DVD drivers out of my current PC (Not this one, I got two working ones) for now.

I just asked a friend that built his on his own and he said he'd stop by and lend a hand.

Yeah, so Im aiming to do it this weekend, depending on when stuff gets here.

Oh, and do I always need to do a format of my HD if Im going to install XP? When I got it, my uncle formated it so it could be used as a boot drive and loaded it up with Gigs and Gigs of movies and music. I havnt checked it out yet, but I think its something about 40 GB. Will I need to move stuff over onto other HD's?

Ok, thanks again for all the help!

[quote name='SS4Brolly']Oh, and do I always need to do a format of my HD if Im going to install XP? When I got it, my uncle formated it so it could be used as a boot drive and loaded it up with Gigs and Gigs of movies and music. I havnt checked it out yet, but I think its something about 40 GB. Will I need to move stuff over onto other HD's?[/quote]

If you do a normal install of XP, it will format the drive whether you want to or not. I don't know if there is an XP installation routine that will NOT format the drive. You could always partition the drive and install XP on it's own partition. But if you're a rookie it's probably easier just to transfer all that stuff to another drive. Hell, if you're an expert it's easier to do that.

Ill soon be building a computer. I have my CPU (AMD 64 3200+) and motherboard here, and Ill be getting several more parts tomarrow. I only have a few more things to order, so I cant wait.

Rise from your grave!

Hah - I was read the whole thread and got down to the parts list and saw 1 gb of ram, XP and then the rest and was like when was this posted?

I haven't made a post in months, but seeing a thread rise from the dead is definitely post worthy!
Yeah, I wonder if the OP ever did get that arctic silver or when he opened the processor box and saw the standard paste that came on it realized he was fine without it lol.

bread's done
Back