The Frugal Gamer?! wtf?

mtxbass1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/710/710027p1.html
I was checking out this article on IGN this morninig, when I saw this.
Two games, EA's Burnout Revenge and THQ's The Outfit, had their retail stickers dropped to $39.99. First posted on The Frugal Gamer, it appears EB Games, GameStop, Amazon, and Best Buy all chopped the purchase prices for the two titles down from their lofty $60 starting point.

The Frugal Gamer?

http://www.thefrugalgamer.com/

How is this not a blatant ripoff of CAG?

The Frugal Gamer has in fact been around for a few years on GameTab as it states, but that site layout is straight out CAG.

I may have to have a talk with Reed over there, but he's a good guy. Fairly sure he wouldn't intentionally gank someone's layout.

Actually guys this isn't a ripoff at all. Based on the copyright at the bottom of the front page their site has actually been around longer than CAG by a whole year so they were here first.

Frugal started in 2002 as to where CAG started in April of 2003.

The similiar layout is probably due to both sites being powered by Movable Type.

Bit of a weak community they got there, though.

Also looks like they just registered the domain back in late feb.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][whois.internic.net]Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registeredwith many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.netfor detailed information. Domain Name: THEFRUGALGAMER.COM Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC. Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com Name Server: NS2.EV1SERVERS.NET Name Server: NS1.EV1SERVERS.NET Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK Updated Date: 26-feb-2006 Creation Date: 26-feb-2005 Expiration Date: 26-feb-2007NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date theregistrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry iscurrently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expirationdate of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoringregistrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database toview the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.[/FONT]

But also, Cheapy needs to keep the front page better updated with things other than the CAGCast. We probably had that news in the forums way before thefrugalgamer ever did, and we could've gotten that credit (and free advertising) at IGN.

Come on Cheapy, get a leg in!

[quote name='evilmax17']But also, Cheapy needs to keep the front page better updated with things other than the CAGCast. We probably had that news in the forums way before thefrugalgamer ever did, and we could've gotten that credit (and free advertising) at IGN.

Come on Cheapy, get a leg in![/quote]

That's all I was really hoping for here really. We should have gotten the credit over at IGN.

Difference is, the Frugal Gamer has nothing but deals posted. In fact, all the deals are posted on the front page. CAG couldn't do that.

I doubt the "Outfit and Burnout Revenge dropping $20" would have been chosen over any number of other deals that have been posted lately.

[quote name='botticus']Difference is, the Frugal Gamer has nothing but deals posted. In fact, all the deals are posted on the front page. CAG couldn't do that.

I doubt the "Outfit and Burnout Revenge dropping $20" would have been chosen over any number of other deals that have been posted lately.[/quote]
Last I checked, we were a deals site, and the last deal we have posted was from May 12th. Hell, we didn't even post the Free Year of EGM (and kotaku and joystiq both have it up). Stuff like the Xbox 360 Corporate Pack is good for a laugh every now and again, but its not enough to sustain an entire website.

[quote name='evilmax17']Last I checked, we were a deals site, and the last deal we have posted was from May 12th. Hell, we didn't even post the Free Year of EGM (and kotaku and joystiq both have it up). Stuff like the Xbox 360 Corporate Pack is good for a laugh every now and again, but its not enough to sustain an entire website.[/QUOTE]

Something is in the works.

[quote name='evilmax17']Last I checked, we were a deals site, and the last deal we have posted was from May 12th. Hell, we didn't even post the Free Year of EGM (and kotaku and joystiq both have it up). Stuff like the Xbox 360 Corporate Pack is good for a laugh every now and again, but its not enough to sustain an entire website.[/QUOTE]
I agree with that, but the point I was trying to make was, why have any registration if you're going to post all the deals on the front page? And in this case, unless we posted all the deals on the front page, this particular deal probably wouldn't have made it anyway.

[quote name='botticus']I may have to have a talk with Reed over there, but he's a good guy. Fairly sure he wouldn't intentionally gank someone's layout.[/quote]I'm more interested in learning how much Ziff Davis paid for GameTab.
evilmax definitely makes a good point. I will do something about it.

[quote name='Wombat']I wonder if they will start a Fagcast with a witty co-host named Koala[/quote]
I hear the Talking Pie is still looking for work. Diane Mizota is probably available too.

[quote name='CheapyD']I'm more interested in learning how much Ziff Davis paid for GameTab.

EvilMax definitely makes a good point. I will do something about it.[/QUOTE]
Crap, he got bought out? I knew him before he had a job, I might have to get some handouts from him ;)

All the guy does is comb Gamestop's price drop list, it seems. He doesn't have contacts like we do here.

I agree that the main page needs to be updated way more often. We've had wind of a ton of these price drops wayyyyyyyy before he posted them.

Hey guys, I have a great idea for a new website - The Money-Conscious Video Game Aficionado. Think it's been done?

[quote name='Wombat']I wonder if they will start a Fagcast with a witty co-host named Koala[/QUOTE]

Now that is some funny stuff man!

bizarro_world.jpg

CAG is pretty much safe from imitators if for no other reason than ultimate Intellectual Property: Wombat. Total comedy gold.

With the right agent, you could be an international superstar, Wombat. Even to the extent of a long running series of Bollywood farcical romantic action/adventure musicals.

5277 4 Life.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']we needs to have a rumble with those Frugal Gamers[/quote]

I can bring some music, but who's gonna do the choreography?

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']we needs to have a rumble with those Frugal Gamers[/quote]

I know there's a PS3 controller joke in there somewhere...

[quote name='mkg12']I am wondering, which CAG's are double agents?

*edit*
they even have their own FrugalyJ.....[/QUOTE]
20 bucks says that he looks like CheapyD, only with a goatee. :twisted:

[quote name='SpazX']I can bring some music, but who's gonna do the choreography?[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Can see it now. A bunch of guys dancing with wii-motes in their hands. :razz:

[quote name='Scobie']CAG is pretty much safe from imitators if for no other reason than ultimate Intellectual Property: Wombat. Total comedy gold.

With the right agent, you could be an international superstar, Wombat. Even to the extent of a long running series of Bollywood farcical romantic action/adventure musicals.

5277 4 Life.[/QUOTE]

so very true, I would make a great Pirate/Singer/Prince

[quote name='evilmax17']Somebody already beat you to it.

200pxprince1983purpletrenchhan.jpg
[/QUOTE]

How do you know that isnt me, ever wonder why I (prince) doesnt speak in public anymore.

[quote name='evilmax17']But also, Cheapy needs to keep the front page better updated with things other than the CAGCast. We probably had that news in the forums way before thefrugalgamer ever did, and we could've gotten that credit (and free advertising) at IGN.

Come on Cheapy, get a leg in![/QUOTE]

I agree, combing through their front page I'm reminded of all of the deals we've had that haven't been posted on the front page of our site even though we've covered them extensively.

I thought the reason most deals weren't posted on the front page was because it gives no one the incentive to sign up for the site when they can just casually browse the front page, note the deals, and then go elsewhere.

Maybe I'm just being selfish, but if all of the insider deals are posted on the front page, I can see the fatwallet effect killing a lot of them.

Its definatly a blantant ripoff. But not to be an ass, it was nice to actually see deals again. I havent bought anything off of CAG for almost 6 months, cause I check fatwallet and others. The front page deals brought me here, but since you left for japan cheapy, the site pretty much only standing on its own.

If you want help in graphical design for the site, and new outlook, or new rules to make this a haven for new users as well as the people who'll never leave like myself... you have it all right here.

I'd be happy to help in any way possible if I have the time to. A couple ideas...

1. I've watched some of JimmieMacs youtube videos, they're entertaining, but unpolished, you could really work that into a video pod-cast. I would love to do some of the writing for it, I'm taking screenwriting classes now. He's pretty hilarious, and you could have a cheapass version of Tucker Max or Maddox right there alone.

2. A better layout on the front page, too much stuff all over it and not enough deals. Give the Mods the ability to post new deals on the front page for when you're not here or dont have the time. Shrike is always here in the afternoons it seems.

3. Impliment a email, IM, voicemail system for when a deal drops you have people or a program send a mass message. I would love to get a prerecorded voicemail on my cell phone if I was out on the town.

4. Make people pay to cover the costs of premium services. I would gladly pay $5 a month for a closed forum with deals breaking there first and trickling to the public once Fatwallet breaks it.

5. Sue this "FrugalyJ" motherfucker where he stands.

These are just ideas, and I'm sure you're busy and maybe they're not all good ideas, but PM me and we'll talk more about ideas and how to impliment them, maybe a Xbox Live confrence voice chat would be good?

[quote name='Mookyjooky']
4. Make people pay to cover the costs of premium services. I would gladly pay $5 a month for a closed forum with deals breaking there first and trickling to the public once Fatwallet breaks it.
[/QUOTE]

There would be no point to that... someone, somewhere, would pay the $5 just to leak the deals elsewhere as soon as they were posted, making that $5 a month worthless.

[quote name='Roufuss']There would be no point to that... someone, somewhere, would pay the $5 just to leak the deals elsewhere as soon as they were posted, making that $5 a month worthless.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. This wouldn't work. Just ask Defender. (No offense intended.)

[quote name='Mookyjooky']3. Impliment a email, IM, voicemail system for when a deal drops you have people or a program send a mass message. I would love to get a prerecorded voicemail on my cell phone if I was out on the town.[/quote]

That seems pretty extravegant and costly. RSS is the more traditional method. I mean, can you imagine the costs of an infrastructure that sends out thousands of long-distance phone calls for every deal, whether they may be interested in it or not? It would instantly counteract any of Cheapy's referal income.

[quote name='Zoglog']The name is so much less offensive though. the word "ass" makes me blush =/[/quote]

Are you like 13? Come now, the stupid word ass. Beh I say it in public, I spread the word of CAG, I'm sort of an uninittiated disciple. Just call me Saint Hiccup

[quote name='Cao Cao']20 bucks says that he looks like CheapyD, only with a goatee. :twisted:[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='lebowsky']I thought the reason most deals weren't posted on the front page was because it gives no one the incentive to sign up for the site when they can just casually browse the front page, note the deals, and then go elsewhere.

Maybe I'm just being selfish, but if all of the insider deals are posted on the front page, I can see the fatwallet effect killing a lot of them.[/quote]

That's exactly the reason why I thought most deals were not posted on the Front page and I have always agreed by that. Sure, there needs to be more articles and materials, but I like it the way it is. I've seen far too many deals dead from the fatwallet effect or stores getting smart because of it. Please Cheapy leave it the way it is. If there needs to be more deals on the front page, then just put up when a game is about to go GH or have a price drop or gets one. benboxer and tubtub give great notice in advance as well as others.

[quote name='Roufuss']There would be no point to that... someone, somewhere, would pay the $5 just to leak the deals elsewhere as soon as they were posted, making that $5 a month worthless.[/quote]

Hell no. The minute the forums go to a pay per view basis I'm leaving and packing my bags to wander and stage over at slickdeals and fatwallet. CAG has always been the best and lets keep it that way. I think membership is still doing well.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']That's exactly the reason why I thought most deals were not posted on the Front page and I have always agreed by that. Sure, there needs to be more articles and materials, but I like it the way it is. I've seen far too many deals dead from the fatwallet effect or stores getting smart because of it. Please Cheapy leave it the way it is. If there needs to be more deals on the front page, then just put up when a game is about to go GH or have a price drop or gets one. benboxer and tubtub give great notice in advance as well as others.[/quote]
Just to note: CAG has almost 55,000 registered users, and the thread titles are still displayed on the front page. So even if Joe Blow Unregistered Guy surfs to the front page and doesn't see an article about a CC $5 sale, he could easily see the 1000 post thread on the front page. And as I said, with 55,000 users, we're not a small community anymore.

This was definately a concern back when we had a few thousand users, but we've since transitioned from a small tight-knit community to a very large userbase. CAG isn't a secret anymore, we've been in most (if not all) of the major gaming print magazines. Everybody knows we exist, and our competition is posting the deals if we aren't.

Instead of trying to hide our greatest assets, we should be exploiting them to their fullest potential. If some guy reads about CAG in EGM and decides to surf here, we want him to think "wow, look at all this stuff!" instead of "hrm, this doesn't seem to be that big a deal."

We want to convince people to stay, not keep people out.

bread's done
Back