Say...that controller looks familiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No fuck this. Nintendo created EVERYTHING. THEY MADE THE WORLD AND EVERYTHING IN IT!!!!!!!!!!

That Nintendo dude Reggie inspired the Sega people to create that controller so Nintendo still made it first!!!!!!!

Besides the fact that it has buttons and is a controller, what is the connection here? It's (somewhat) square and one handed?

I mean, aside from the fact that this one isn't motion controlled, that the analog stick is tacked onto it instead of on a nunchuck design, that it is only similarly shaped (except not), that it doesn't have the sound implementations, that it isn't the central controller for a system (let alone a dead system), that the button layout is different, that it's not wireless, that it takes memory cards, etc etc etc, WHAT point are you trying to make other than post a flamebait topic?

This thread is a prime example of why I think it's hilarious people call me the fanboy when there's obvious examples of it that are far more magnified than anything I've ever done/said. I've never gone into a forum to troll around with bullshit starter threads.

But hey, the world is a stupid place. Meh.

Haha, while that looks pretty fucking awesome, it's not really similar to the wiimote any further than the fact that it's a controller and long.

QFT Strell, QFT

I'm pretty sure at this point it's impossible to create something new and not hear "OMG TEHY STOLEZ IT FROM MY FAV COMPANY" all over the internet, regardless of what company you are.

Why is the stupid QFT abbreviation becoming so popular on these forums? I think it looks stupid. Quantum field theory? Why don't you just say "true dat"?

Now if I agree with anyone, I will put "IAWY" (I agree with you). We might as well start turning everything into an abbreviation and make people guess what we said.

EFJKJFEIDFSTEP

[quote name='scottman']Why is the stupid QFT abbreviation becoming so popular on these forums? I think it looks stupid. Quantum field theory? Why don't you just say "true dat"?

Now if I agree with anyone, I will put "IAWY" (I agree with you). We might as well start turning everything into an abbreviation and make people guess what we said.

EFJKJFEIDFSTEP[/QUOTE]

What's funny is when someone says quoted for truth, and then doesn't even bother quoting the person...

The design is so "novel" that I see no physical way of using the D-pad / bottom buttons if you are holding it with one hand. That is... if you only have one thumb per hand...

Isn't the big difference here that that controller is just simply a one-handed controller and the "wii-mote" has all the motion sensing abilities? If that's just a one handed designed controller, then who the hell cares? One-handed controllers have existed for nearly decade now IIRC, maybe even further back than that.

Well, I say that analog stick looks just like the N64 stick, and so does the d-pad. Probably the same parts. And the wiimote totally stole the idea from my 1981 zenith cabinet television.

[quote name='scottman']
EFJKJFEIDFSTEP[/QUOTE]

Well I'm certain in some language, "EFJKJFEIDFSTEP" translates roughly to "I am gay."

Scottman is gay!

ROFLAMOMLAFMOAMAL

/this is a stupid, stupid joke, yes.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Link (Kotaku)

Comments? Thoughts? Hilariously over-defensive and angry responses?[/QUOTE]

No, no ... it doesn't deserve more than a *yawn* really.

EDIT: And there's also the link to a pre-Dreamcast one-handed controller on that page, which you strangely forgot to link to.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3149992

So ... aside from annoying people (which, I admit, is a laudable goal), what was the point again?

[quote name='Metal Boss']And what do you know, the sony controller doesn't really look like a WII-mote either!

:roll:

Thanks for the article OP[/quote]
Nintendo really ripped off Sony anyway, they had remotes way earlier!

e8_1_sbl.JPG

ZOMG OLOL!

[quote name='scottman']Why is the stupid QFT abbreviation becoming so popular on these forums? I think it looks stupid. Quantum field theory? Why don't you just say "true dat"?

EFJKJFEIDFSTEP[/quote]

QFT... WTF?? ROTFLMAO!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']What's funny is when someone says quoted for truth, and then doesn't even bother quoting the person...[/QUOTE]

Wow I always took it as Quite fucking True.

EFJKJFEIDFSTEP[/quote]

[quote name='RedvsBlue']What's funny is when someone says quoted for truth, and then doesn't even bother quoting the person...[/quote]

So sorry to have offended you guys, you should have warned me that you guys are uptight about this kind of thing. :roll:

[quote name='Strell']Well I'm certain in some language, "EFJKJFEIDFSTEP" translates roughly to "I am gay."

Scottman is gay!

ROFLAMOMLAFMOAMAL

/this is a stupid, stupid joke, yes.[/QUOTE]

QFT

actually, it was supposed to be:
even fanboy jerks know jam from every ignorant duck fills strell's turtle embroidered pants.

I thought it was clear enough. :)

EFJKJFEIDFSTEP[/quote]

A-MEN... nothing says argumentative fanboy teenager with no debate skills like "QFT!". It's usually followed by spelling errors.

[quote name='SpazX']Nintendo really ripped off Sony anyway, they had remotes way earlier!

e8_1_sbl.JPG

ZOMG OLOL![/quote]

WHAAAT?!?! A WII controller in BLAAACK!?!? OMG, Must have!! Look at that sickter d-pad!

[quote name='SpazX']Nintendo really ripped off Sony anyway, they had remotes way earlier!

e8_1_sbl.JPG

ZOMG OLOL![/quote]

Holy crap. That is my DVD player remote! A DVD player that I bought in 1999.

[quote name='lebowsky']Holy crap. That is my DVD player remote! A DVD player that I bought in 1999.[/quote]

See! Sony thought it up years before Nintendo.

No, this man used the 6 degrees of freedom in his club to deal out some massive damage. Way before Sony.

20443_RSSize%28398x600%29.jpg

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Im dying to see this, can anyone post pics for the people at work?[/QUOTE]

Your work blocks kotaku???

EDITED OUT PIC

The Japanese reads-

15 years from now Nintendo will look foolish for copying our design! HA HA! Sega will once again be Numba One!

Doh! Here it is at imageshack. Please edit out the links to it in your reply so we don't have to see it 3 times here.

dreamcastwiimotemag8ua.jpg

Whi is it that no one notices that that isn't a one handed controler? You hold that with 2 hands like you were firing a small machine gun.

Didn't Sony release a one handed controller for the PSOne? Seems that I recall something small that was mostly meant for use with RPGs, kind of almost like a mouse (but not the mouse they released). Anyway, one handed controllers aren't anything big. Nintendo being nuts with their two current systems (DS & Wii) is something big.

Looks like you can accuse any company but Nintendo of stealing (or 'borrowing') ideas from someone else without making an uproar.

[quote name='rabbitt']Looks like you can accuse any company but Nintendo of stealing (or 'borrowing') ideas from someone else without making an uproar.[/quote]

In this thread? What exactly are you talking about?

[quote name='SpazX']In this thread? What exactly are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

People get on Sony's ass because they take an idea from Nintendo (and I will admit, that was a fishy move on their part), but when someone says that Nintendo stole an idea from someone else, they get their rifle out of the closet.

The Video Game industry survives partly on taking old ideas, and stepping them up to the next level. While the Wii controller isn't an old idea, eventually someone has to say 'Let's take that core idea, and branch off on it to push gaming in a new direction.'

[quote name='rabbitt']People get on Sony's ass because they take an idea from Nintendo (and I will admit, that was a fishy move on their part), but when someone says that Nintendo stole an idea from someone else, they get their rifle out of the closet.[/quote]

How do you measure the response? What makes this thread the rifle out of the closet and the 13 page "Sony controller rips off Nintendo" thread just the good old mild getting on Sony's ass?

[quote name='rabbitt']People get on Sony's ass because they take an idea from Nintendo (and I will admit, that was a fishy move on their part), but when someone says that Nintendo stole an idea from someone else, they get their rifle out of the closet.

The Video Game industry survives partly on taking old ideas, and stepping them up to the next level. While the Wii controller isn't an old idea, eventually someone has to say 'Let's take that core idea, and branch off on it to push gaming in a new direction.'[/quote]
Yeah I know adaptations are good, but this thread started with something that looks like a two-handed gun that's absolutely nothing like the wii controller besides it being long and being a controller.

So I don't really see how this is showing how if you say Nintendo copied something people go crazy. You might as well say they copied from the telephone since it's also long and has buttons, then when they say that doesn't make any sense you say they're fanboys.

[quote name='MarioColbert']The design is so "novel" that I see no physical way of using the D-pad / bottom buttons if you are holding it with one hand. That is... if you only have one thumb per hand...[/QUOTE]
I believe it's a two-handed controller, where you have one hand (probably left hand) on the far end with the analog stick, A and B buttons, and trigger, then the other on the handle end with the d-pad, X and Y buttton, and second trigger. Or you just use one hand one whichever end the particular game requires and play that way. To be able to see the VMU on the end, you probably have to hold it straight up in your lap.

[quote name='Strell']This thread is a prime example of why I think it's hilarious people call me the fanboy when there's obvious examples of it that are far more magnified than anything I've ever done/said. I've never gone into a forum to troll around with bullshit starter threads.

But hey, the world is a stupid place. Meh.[/QUOTE]

If you are called "the fanboy," it's probably because you jump to conclusions and have kneejerk reactions without thinking things through and make stupid statements because of it. Sometimes, you can control your anger and pretend to be "above all this" (the post you made here), while sometimes it's just so darn outrageous and you CAN'T HOLD BACK YOUR FURY!! ("SONY STOLE THE WII CONTROLLER!", weak mother jokes in retailation to posts, playing it off as "I was just joking around" if you paint yourself into a corner, etc).

If I was starting shit, I would have titled it like your aforementioned "Sony the theives" thread. I gave it a "lighter" title because it wasn't meant to be some hard-hitting expose on Nintendo's evil underbelly, it was just something interesting to see that would have been posted here eventually anyway.

However, you did jump right into that over-defensive thing I mentioned in the OP. Nice.

Relax. I couldn't care less if Nintendo "stole" this from the Dreamcast or not. I really doubt they did, and even if they did the influence was probably minimal once it was beyond the actual shape of the controller. Hell, I thought you guys all liked Sega for being the only other "non-evil" game developer or whatever. I know I used to like them.

How is it a kneejerk reaction by totally destroying the idea that the Wiimote is a knockoff this?

I'm sorry, but that's being pwned like a little bitch, not reactionary.

I can't think of a better way to spell it out for you than how I did in the first post.

And again, your thread is you posting in the Wii forum to bash the Wii, whereas mine was to attack a boneheaded obvious ripoff move. For them to be similar, I'd have to go into the Sony forum, call Sony a bunch of fuckheads, call Sony fans a bunch of fuckheads, and then attempt to defend my statements under the guise that "I'm just having fun."

And since you are probably incapable of detecting the sarcasm, I'll spell it out for you - that is what you did and have done, not me.

IN the meantime, I challenge you to find me making anti-360 and anti-PS3 threads in their respective forums. If I was really worried about it, I'd list off the same things in the Nintendo forums. Unfortunately, you'll laugh it off and tell me I'm the one in the wrong, and then you'll get backing from a few peons floating around.

There's something to be said about that sort of thing, but I'm not worried about it.

Strell tightened his robe and rose from the submissive, kneeled position. He had almost dared to accept the similarities of the apocryphal remote invention as originating from somewhere other than the Nord himself. Although he did not completely submit, nor admit as such to another sole, the shadow doubt cast into his psyche was enough to warrant a flaggelation. The blood snailed to the small of his back and soaked the garment. Along with the stinging burn, the cool evaporative sensation waffed between his arms as he typed. The pain was a sadistic kind of pleasure and reinforced his faith in the one, true Creator.

"I am your servant", he murmered, working through the pain as it lifted his spirit. It gave him the strength to shun the blasphemous and keep the non-believers at bay. Still venerable to attack, the propagation of the prosthetic proselytization was warranted and must continue.

In his best prose, and a quick genuflect, he began with, "I know you are but what am I...?"

Wow.

You need to go back to livejournal, and pretend that you know how to write.

But hey. I'd feel self important too if I was quoting the prologue to Caterbury's Tales.

The Narrator's Apprentice;1915828 said:
Strell tightened his robe and rose from the submissive, kneeled position. He had almost dared to accept the similarities of the apocryphal remote invention as originating from somewhere other than the Nord himself. Although he did not completely submit, nor admit as such to another sole, the shadow doubt cast into his psyche was enough to warrant a flaggelation. The blood snailed to the small of his back and soaked the garment. Along with the stinging burn, the cool evaporative sensation waffed between his arms as he typed. The pain was a sadistic kind of pleasure and reinforced his faith in the one, true Creator.

"I am your servant", he murmered, working through the pain as it lifted his spirit. It gave him the strength to shun the blasphemous and keep the non-believers at bay. Still venerable to attack, the propagation of the prosthetic proselytization was warranted and must continue.

In his best prose, and a quick genuflect, he began with, "I know you are but what am I...?"

Not this shit again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back