looking for a flat screen tv

EddieBelfour

CAGiversary!
i have over 200 saved up for one, but have obtained a credit card. this makes saving a bit easier, since i can take the overage out of my pay checks in august and pay the bill with them. im looking to spend around 400 dollars and know where to look.

what im asking is, does anyone have one? im looking for at least a 27 incher. i woudl rather it be a sony or something along those lines. is anyone familiar with daewood or daewoo (whichever it is) products? are they better or worse than the big brands. i know bjs has some nice prices. a 32 inch flat screen for a bit over 300. HELP!!! thanks in advance.

Get a SONY WEGA, do not get a Daewoo, they perform like garbage.

If you aren't getting an HDTV, and your room is the size of a regular-master bedroom, I would recommend you stay within the range of 24-27 inch televisions... Unless you are sitting very far away, the larger televisions will look like shit.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...94019&productCategoryId=cat03003&type=product

I suggest this television, or a very similar model, you'll get amazing picture and decent sound... I've had my 20" WEGA for almost 3 years and it still impresses me when I get a new game.

I say get the BIGGEST TV you can afford. I know people that have a 60" HDTV and they are probably only 6 feet away from it. Although, I feel that is too close....

I have a 20" APEX flat-screen. It perfoms well for about $100.

SamsClub.com (and in store I'm assuming) has some 27" Flat TV's for around $270. One is an APEX, but it has a DVD player built in. The other is a Samsung.

They also have a Panasonic 27" FLat for $300

and RCA 24" for $227

People who have 60" TVs in their tiny little living room just look rediculous to me. You have to fit the tv to the room. Hell, you can't even really see the picture on that big a tv if you're that close.

I have a 58" in my living room, but its hella long so I have room to be able to situate my seating further away. In a normal (largish) bedroom I'd go 31" MAX.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']People who have 60" TVs in their tiny little living room just look rediculous to me. You have to fit the tv to the room. Hell, you can't even really see the picture on that big a tv if you're that close.

I have a 58" in my living room, but its hella long so I have room to be able to situate my seating further away. In a normal (largish) bedroom I'd go 31" MAX.[/quote]

I think I'm gonna have that problem. But I've decided I'm gone recess the TV into the wall when I get the large screen. should make it just perfect for a 58"-60"

thanks for the feedback guys- im taking that coupon to best buy tomorrow for a purchase while im looking for my "nieces bday gift". i always use that excuse when buying something i dont really "need"

i know man, im about to get medication, im getting jumpy over here. im not sure what im going to get, i may just go look and mull it over, but im going to use that coupon. we might be nerds, but cheapassgamers are a o k with me :roll:

I have a 27" Panasonic. It's their equivalant to the Sony WEGA model I believe. I paid $500 for it at the time and have been pretty happy with it. The only problem has been some bugs with the input outlets in the front of the TV. If they get bumped or proded wrong, the sound in one of the speakers goes out for a while till I prod it some more to get it back up. I think is from over usage of those outlets. Something must be loose.

I would suggest not getting a Daewoo. I personally haven't ever had one, but I have not heard great things. It's the old adage....you get what you pay for!

I just bought a Philips 27' flat screen at walmart for $278 and I love it !!

It's got the av connections and s cable and all that crap o' la on the back and front with great sound, i'm happy with it :)

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']Bring a console and try out all the TVs, I did that at Circuit City once.[/quote]

the funniest thing about this is that you are completely serious. i think i may have to.

[quote name='joey12169']I just bought a Philips 27' flat screen at walmart for $278 and I love it !!

It's got the av connections and s cable and all that crap o' la on the back and front with great sound, i'm happy with it :)[/quote]

Wal-Mart has great prices. They have a 27 inch flat screen Sanyo (which is a decent brand by my standards) for $249. Also have a 32 inch regular Sanyo for $300. Not sure which I'm going to buy, probably the 27 flat.

I do know I'm going to wait until the day after Thanksgiving to get my TV though. They'll be like $15 at Wal-Mart. Heh.

Make sure your tv has component inputs in it if you are getting a non-wega.

Since you have the money I really suggest you get the Sony WEGA 27"..

Sony 32" Wega, here. Nothing but problems on mine. VERY prone to bruising, bending of picture, static charges, and techs seem to have difficulty calibrating it properly if you ever need a tube replacement.

Just head to epinions.com to be safe.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']People who have 60" TVs in their tiny little living room just look rediculous to me. You have to fit the tv to the room. Hell, you can't even really see the picture on that big a tv if you're that close.

I have a 58" in my living room, but its hella long so I have room to be able to situate my seating further away. In a normal (largish) bedroom I'd go 31" MAX.[/quote]

I had a 62" Rca in my apartment, and a couch, xbox, gc thats all. Now its in my house looks smaller in my family room.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']Make sure your tv has component inputs in it if you are getting a non-wega.

Since you have the money I really suggest you get the Sony WEGA 27"..[/quote]

I second the 27" WEGA. Never had any problems with it, and the component quality seems very close to a CRT.

:lol: I have a Sharp 27" flat screen paid $ 250.00 for it at Costco, it is soo good , I now have two units in the house.It is a very heavy mother it weighs about 90 + lbs.
It has A/V , S , and componet imputs. You can't go wrong for the money.
I think Sony Wega may have a little better picture. But the Sharp X flat is a truly great bargain for the price. You will not be disappointed. :lol:

I have a Daewoo 20" flatscreen and it's ok. Only get one if you are set on going cheap, my friend's Sony Wega looks better. But then again it should, since his cost like twice as much.

Make sure you get at least S-video in it, I'm looking to dump mine now since it only has composite input.

The Advent HT2751A is absolutely HORRIBLE. If you're only going to watch HD/1080i stuff, it might be fine. But many DVDs, games, etc. use something lower, such as 480p. The video scaler in the HT2751A is only optimized for 1080i, making anything less look awful.

In short, this is a terrible set for DVDs and games. An ok budget television for HD, but I don't think anyone that has seen a game running on this would suggest it.

EDIT: I would sadly have to also suggest a 27" when you're looking around. Even though the extra size is nice on a 32", most 32" models are extremely flawed compared to their 27" counterparts. Dunno why, but almost 100% of them are.

a 32 incher would swallow me whole in my bedroom. thats what its for. we have a pretty heated old school sony that was nice for its time in the living room. i wonder why the 32's have that problem.

at 100 plus pounds its going to be a workout getting this tv. about to go and look at it in an hour or so.

By the way, in my gallery I have pictures of my 27" Sony WEGA in my room, if you need an idea of how much space it takes up or how small/big it looks in a room.

http://www.FreeFlatScreens.com/default.aspx?referer=7266454

Its the same people as the ipod and freevideogames.com one. They do work but require a tiny bit of effort. If you decide to do it make sure to do the ancestry deal because its fast and easy to cancel. It took me literally under 2 minutes to cancel (I honestly was shocked how easy it turned out to be). You only have to do ONE offer unlike most of these "free" things.

For the record, they do make money. Everytime someone signs up for aol and whatnot they get a referral check, they are really just middlemen trying to make a buck by also offering something in return praying we forget to cancel a deal or even just find something we are interested in so they make even more money.

Again, its legit, its the same company that does freevideogames.com. Im pretty sure this site is new though.

You can get a free 27 inch Sony Wega or an LCD or something, whatever you chose.

Oh, and dont use your main email. Youll get spammed in the long run hard, this is another crappy yet still viable way they make money.

I bought a Sanyo 24" "TruFlat" TV a few months ago from Wal*Mart for about $200.

It's not a bad TV; component, S-Video, and two A/V inputs, along with 16:9 compression support (no progressive scan or comb filters, though). Games look great, DVDs look great, and, if I didn't have a shitty cable service, I'm sure plain-old TV would look great, too. Sure, it's not state-of-the-art, but for the very nice picture and very reasonable price, it's worth it.

A great step up from my Broksonyk (or however it was spelled) 13" TV I used to use.

[quote name='mmn'][quote name='joey12169']I just bought a Philips 27' flat screen at walmart for $278 and I love it !!

It's got the av connections and s cable and all that crap o' la on the back and front with great sound, i'm happy with it :)[/quote]

Wal-Mart has great prices. They have a 27 inch flat screen Sanyo (which is a decent brand by my standards) for $249. Also have a 32 inch regular Sanyo for $300. Not sure which I'm going to buy, probably the 27 flat.

I do know I'm going to wait until the day after Thanksgiving to get my TV though. They'll be like $15 at Wal-Mart. Heh.[/quote]
I got the sanyo 27 in flat and love it, it has a really nice picture for the price.

I've had a Sony WEGA 36" for about 6 months now and love it. The sucker is heavy as hell, but the picture quality is top notch. Watching dvds and playing games that support 16:9 with the compression on is amazing. I opted to get this tv over a smaller HD because there are very few channels being broadcast in HD (unless you go with a proprietary HD cable service which only carries about half the channels I get now).

I have read about people who have headaches with their large screen wegas, but I haven't had one. It's solid as a rock. But it's also about twice the $400 budget mentioned earlier. :?

Get a SONY WEGA, 400
rca 27 inch tru flat 300
phillps 27 flat 300

I have the rca it is bulit like a rock good quality and great tv (picture is awesome speakers in enhanced mode sound like sourrod sound) the interface is solid blue and you can not make it clear which is the only thing that bugs me.

have a 32 inch jvc flatscreen.... love it. It was 499 dollars at christmas probably has came down since. got mine at hh gregg

im about to shop for it tomorrow, have to pay my tuition and then its on. i appreciate the help and last minute suggestions wont hurt. i saw a joint at best buy for 299.99 a sharp flat screen which looks good. 329 upgraded.

then kmart has a nice entertainment center for 19.99. its so on.

[quote name='Explosion']if you want, you can get a 27" Sony WEGA flatscreen for free by clicking on the link in my signature.[/quote]

Dude... at least tell him there's more to it than simply clicking a link.

*EDIT* for content.

bread's done
Back