More PS3 Rumor...complete with PS2 inside

gaelan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
75 (100%)
link

June 5, 2006 - A surprising report has emerged from Japan's Ultra One monthly technology magazine. The magazine's July issue reports that Sony will be achieving backwards compatibility on the PlayStation 3 not through software emulation, as previously announced, but through physical hardware.
The magazine states that the PS3 hardware, in its current form, includes the core PlayStation 2 chipset. This presumably means that initial PS3 units will include the single Emotion Engine (the PS2 CPU) and Graphic Synthesizer (the PS2 graphics chip) combo chip that powers the slim model PS2. Of course, including the extra hardware drives up costs. The magazine adds that Sony plans on removing the PS2 chipset from future revisions of the PS3 hardware once it has finished development of a proper software-based PS2 emulator. Such a removal would help bring down costs for the system.
Sony has repeatedly stated that PS2 software would run on the PS3 through software emulation, leaving many to believe that the company had developed a powerful emulator for the older hardware. This would have been a particularly impressive feat, considering that even the PlayStation 2 originally used a combination of hardware and software to maintain backwards compatibility with original generation PlayStation games.
If the Ultra One report is true, the use of hardware emulation casts some doubts on what kind of visual updates we can expect for PlayStation 2 games. PlayStation games saw a few marginal upgrades when running on the PlayStation 2 due to the PlayStation graphics chip being emulated entirely through software running on the PS2's Graphics Synthesizer.
On the other hand, hardware emulation pretty much guarantees that every game that runs on the current PS2 will do so on the PS3.
A few other revelations appear in the Ultra One report, an investigative story into the reasons for the PS3's high price point. Izumi Kawanishi, head of Sony's Software Platform Development Division, commented to the magazine that one difference between the PS2 and the PS3 is that the PS3, as it was announced, is "nothing more than just the basic system." Sony is considering releasing models with larger volume hard disks and upgraded network features in the future. However, Kawanishi noted, Sony won't be changing CPU clock speed or memory amounts, as all PS3s have to run the same games.
The PS3 comes equipped with, in addition to a default hard disk, a "large amount of flash memory," the magazine reveals. This is used to house the operating system and all future system updates. Based on the wording in the magazine, it seems that the hard disk is to be used exclusively for multimedia content and will not contain any system features; users will, after all, be able to swap the built in hard drive out with any standard drive they pick up at a computer hardware store.
The magazine also provides an assurance about the PS3's compatibility with its own games. The PS2 lost compatibility with older titles as new models were released featuring updated chip designs. This won't be a problem with the PS3, as the magazine reveals that in the event that problems are discovered following an updated chip design, the system will be able to connect Online to download any required patches, which will then be stored on the hard disk.
Finally, the magazine gives a solid price estimate for the high-end PS3 model in Japan. Sony officially lists the price as "open," meaning retailers will have to determine their own pricing, but Ultra One says that the price is "expected" to be 73,000 yen.
Who exactly is expecting this price is anyone's guess, as the magazine doesn't give specifics. We'll wait for official word from Sony on that price point, and on the other details in the Ultra One article, before considering this report confirmed.

Backwards compatibility has always been a big deal for Sony, so I never doubted that they would deliver. Hearing this is still very good news tho, assuming it's true.

On a side-note, the only real visual upgrades that have been promised for older games are resolution bump-ups, and I really don't see how the hardware emulation would prevent that.

large-ps3.JPG

somebody please tell me that is photoshopped.
711242p1.html

[quote name='dtarasev']Don't they have a PS1 "on a chip" for the PS2? If so then this is pretty much the same idea.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much. It's good news for those that want to sell their PS2 off for a down payment on a PS3.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']wait if they are crammin a ps2 in there, how are they goin to have room to heat my buns for my burgers too?[/QUOTE]
Thats on the next revision, the Grilleration Station.
ps37nu.jpg

[quote name='Strell']Kutaragi is going to live in his PS3.

But his ego isn't.[/QUOTE]

The same could be said for myself and my wang.

I don't see how this is news. It's pretty obvious they would opt for hardware emulation, rather than software emulation (Judging from the failure that is Xbox BC)

I didnt know Sony did any of its BC thru emulation. I thought the PS2 had a PS1 on a chip in it, and I assumed the the PS3 would have both PS1, and PS2 'chips' in it.

[quote name='AFStealth']I don't see how this is news. It's pretty obvious they would opt for hardware emulation, rather than software emulation (Judging from the failure that is Xbox BC)[/QUOTE]
It is kinda new news since the only BC talk was about the "PlayStation HUB".

Wiil Sony still need emulation for PSX games or will they include the PSX chip like the PS2 did for PSX BC?

[quote name='AFStealth']I don't see how this is news. It's pretty obvious they would opt for hardware emulation, rather than software emulation (Judging from the failure that is Xbox BC)[/QUOTE]
Except that MS could only do their BC one game at a time and Sony can pretty much just emulate the software and get pretty much all the PS2 games at once.

[quote name='spoo']It is kinda new news since the only BC talk was about the "PlayStation HUB".

Wiil Sony still need emulation for PSX games or will they include the PSX chip like the PS2 did for PSX BC?[/quote]

yea I was wondering that myself are they going to have both ps2 and ps1 chips on the system

SO when they say emulating software they mean as downloading a program for it or using a software to run the PSX and PS2 games?????? i'd imagine you can DL it from online the PS3, also nice article gaelan THX a bunch.

[quote name='AFStealth']I fail to see your point.[/QUOTE]
Because Microsoft had no rights to the Xbox hardware, they couldn't anything better, in regards to backwards compatability, than emulating each game to work on the 360. Since Sony obviously does have the rights to the PS2 hardware, they could and can create an emulator that emulates the hardware itself and would pretty much play any game you throw at it. It's the difference between having to download emulators for each game and downloading one emulator to cover them all.

[quote name='jam3582']yea I was wondering that myself are they going to have both ps2 and ps1 chips on the system[/QUOTE]Actually, from what I heard, there's already been a software emulation for the PS1 for a long time in the works, which I believe works pretty good right now. So, the PS1 will be BC by software, while the PS2 will be BC through hardware.

bread's done
Back