No more political threads on front page

Perhaps not all of us give a crap whether or not someone is selling their CC games for $10 apiece?

Tengas paciencia, por favor

[quote name='WildWop']Perhaps not all of us give a crap whether or not someone is selling their CC games for $10 apiece?

Tengas paciencia, por favor[/quote]

Well at least they have to do with "cheap ass games"

Unless there are serious objections, on Friday, I will take the political forum off the front page latest message board posts section.

[quote name='CheapyD']Unless there are serious objections, on Friday, I will take the political forum off the front page latest message board posts section.[/quote]

I object.

In fact, I seriously object. Who's with me!?

Considering that your "Latest posts" is exactly that I don't see the problem. I mean they're the threads getting the most reaction, the most replies and probably the most views right?

For like 2 weeks surrounding the CC sale there was nothing but CC threads on the "Latest" section. It was trade lists, official lists, before I eBay etc. No one complained then. I personally got tired as all hell of the trading threads but that's what users were most interested in at the time. It came and went.

I think this is only going to be an issue during the convention weeks and last week of October. I wouldn't really worry about it, besides, those threads wouldn't be there unless there was user generated interest.

Very nicely summed up - though you are incorrect in stating that no one complained about the CC threads. They did. But you are correct in pointing out that, much like the CC threads, these will come and go as the peak interest periods arrive and depart.

After the election, there wont be much on the front page about politics. There will be two threads. Bush Wins! The other, Bush really lost or something like that.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']For the love of god can we please stop clogging the "latest post" section of the front page with political threads?[/quote]

I was just thinking of putting up a thread saying this but I forgot about it. Anyways, I know election time is heating up, but this is site is primarily about cheapass games and not politics. I can name a bunch of people on these boards who live for that stuff. It was cool at first, but the partisan flaming does get annoying and repetitive. I'd rather just see game-related material for the most part.

I'd perfer they not be there. If a new person stumbes upon the site, and see's a "Latest Posts" full of nothing but Bush/Kerry stuff, they'll just turn around and leave. Think about all the good posters than have shown up... if the post give the impression that only politics is discussed here, the number of quality new users the site gets will drastically go down, and the flag waving/burning radicals will hold sway over the board... while the percentage of threads ended by the invocation of Godwin's Law of Usenet sharply spikes.

There are plenty of dedicated forums to politics... there's no really reason to turn CAG into one.

This site is a good escape to get away from the politcal machine we live in everyday...For us to talk about games and deals...I think bringing politcs into it isnt a great idea...I know that we have the forum and thats great...but plastering it on the front page is not...I dont want to see everytime I long on about something with Michael Moore or Bush...I hear this crap everyday on the news and I dont want to see it pop up when Im looking for some good games to trade or to talk to other gamers...There is my 2 cents...take it or leave it.

~Karma

[quote name='karmapolice620']This site is a good escape to get away from the politcal machine we live in everyday...For us to talk about games and deals...I think bringing politcs into it isnt a great idea...I know that we have the forum and thats great...but plastering it on the front page is not...I dont want to see everytime I long on about something with Michael Moore or Bush...I hear this crap everyday on the news and I dont want to see it pop up when Im looking for some good games to trade or to talk to other gamers...There is my 2 cents...take it or leave it.

~Karma[/quote]

I agree. The political forum is fine, but I already see and hear enough Bush/Kerry/Moore junk every day. Clogging the front page with more of it doesn't help at all.

This site is "Cheap Ass Gamer," not "Cheap Ass Politics." If I want to discuss politics, I'll turn on the television and call some friends.

I concur with JSweeney. It'd be one thing if this was a general interest forum, but it's really a forum about cheap ass gaming, be it from retail or internally with trades.

Putting the political threads on the frontpage places it in the face of the non-registered members, who might be turned off of the internal forums.

Also, for those that are annoyed by seeing tradelists, the front page bump serves a valuable purpose for the traders. And while it may be just as irrelevant to you as an Xbox sale thread is to me, both of those ultimately keep within the theme of the site. Political discussions (especially the illogical flame wars that these threads tend to devolve into) do not.

[quote name='eldad9']Could we do the same for sports threads?[/quote]

Hmmm... An interesting idea. So basically block off the Cheap Ass Lifestyle portion of the boards from the frontpage?

Cheapy, maybe this could be yet another poll.

The politcal forum has been removed from the front page.
I'm inclined to keep the regular off topic posts on the front page for now.
Thanks for your feedback.

[quote name='CheapyD']The politcal forum has been removed from the front page.
Thanks for your feedback.[/quote]

Cheapy, u best be leavin lifestyle/off topic on the front it spices up a lot of boring nothin. Such as when the CC deal was happening, mine was DOA and I had to watch a couple weeks of nothin but CC posts, just made me angrier for my lack of games.

[quote name='CheapyD']The politcal forum has been removed from the front page.
Thanks for your feedback.[/quote]

This is a good move. I've made it a point to just not look at the front page for a while so as to not be sucked into that section anymore. I've never seen anything so pointless...just people going 'round and 'round. I got tired of being part of it. So I'm out.

Again, I think it's a good move.

The political discussions, especially when there is no way of knowing the age of the other participants (no offense, kids, but teenagers' opinions on political issues are worse than useless to me) just clutter up a place I go to get away from that stuff.

As it is, I've completely given up on Usenet due to the lack of oversight control. In a moment of boredom yesterday I checked a normally active Xbox newsgroup to find the fist 150 or so headers were a political discussion. While there is nothing new about it, the sheer number of jackassess massively crossposting purposely inflammatory material has overwhelmed the genuine content.

[quote name='MrBadExample'][quote name='crissy1616']Cheapy, I accidentally voted for the wrong one. I meant "NO"[/quote]

Are you from Florida by any chance?[/quote]

I just noticed this now, but it definitely made me laugh out loud in the middle of my office.

[quote name='BigHow'][quote name='MrBadExample'][quote name='crissy1616']Cheapy, I accidentally voted for the wrong one. I meant "NO"[/quote]

Are you from Florida by any chance?[/quote]

I just noticed this now, but it definitely made me laugh out loud in the middle of my office.[/quote]

Haha, I was just going to respond back with, ummm you can see where I am from under "location", dumbass, but then I realized the reference.

Well, one must admit that the ballot was hard to understand, I mean, one has to click a little dot, why not a checkmark? That is so much easier to understand. Thanks for your concern, guys! /sarcasm

bread's done
Back