DS Lite Battery Life

2poor

CAGiversary!
How long is the DS Lite battery life supposed to be? I charged it fully yesterday and only played for an hour or 2 today and my battery died. Should I try to exchange it? If so should I just say my battery died as an excuse?

Two possibilities.

You only think you charged it fully and either your outlet shorted or the cable got loose in the ac jack.

or.

Your DS Lite's battery if fubar and you need to exchange it.

Either way, I would try to charge it fully again and see what happens.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Two possibilities.

You only think you charged it fully and either your outlet shorted or the cable got loose in the ac jack.

or.

Your DS Lite's battery if fubar and you need to exchange it.

Either way, I would try to charge it fully again and see what happens.[/quote]

That would be a good idea to try. I'll charge it tonite and leave it on the lowest brightness setting all day tommorrow and see how long it lasts. The manual says it should last 15-19 hours.

Will Target even let me return the DS Lite? I have all the stuff that came with it still and receipt.

[quote name='2poor']

Will Target even let me return the DS Lite? I have all the stuff that came with it still and receipt.[/QUOTE]

No store should deny an exchange when you have a receipt.

Return might be somewhat hard due to the fact that when they turn it on nothing seems wrong with it. I think target charges a restocking fee for non-defetcive items. Yes their is something wrong with yours but they can't see that at the moment so they might say no dice.

Whoops. I meant exchange, not return. I just want to replace this DS Lite with another one.

[quote name='AshesofWake']kinda on topic, what IS the actual estimated battery life for each brightness setting? anybody know?[/quote]
On Nintendo's battery FAQ web page, they say, "The Nintendo DS Lite has four levels of brightness. The battery will last 15-19 hours on the lowest settings, and 5-8 hours on the brightest. This can also vary depending on the type of game activity."

I found the following at http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/06/11/121459.php

First Level: 15-19 Hrs.
Second Level:
10-15 Hrs.
Third Level:
7-11 Hrs.
Fourth Level:
5-8 Hrs.

I use third level.

-HM

Check for dead pixels...if you have one then return it even if the battery works fine...if the battery had acted weird and I was SURE id charged it well the first time around I wouldnt want to take any chances.

Quick question - will this thing give any kind of warning before the battery completely dies?

I've been getting the red light a bit sooner than I expect (of course, I may be playing more than I THINK I am, heh). Nintendo.com says that there's actually about 30% power left at this, point, which if you think about it, is quite a lot (almost 1/3 of total life).

So I'm thinking of playing for another few hours before charging, but I'd hate to be in the situation where it shuts off before I can save my game or put it in sleep mode.

Thoughts?

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']Quick question - will this thing give any kind of warning before the battery completely dies?

I've been getting the red light a bit sooner than I expect (of course, I may be playing more than I THINK I am, heh). Nintendo.com says that there's actually about 30% power left at this, point, which if you think about it, is quite a lot (almost 1/3 of total life).

So I'm thinking of playing for another few hours before charging, but I'd hate to be in the situation where it shuts off before I can save my game or put it in sleep mode.

Thoughts?

-HM[/QUOTE]

For me, as soon as I see the red light, I charge it ASAP. I would hate to lose my progress in a game just because I was stubborn and not save when I should have. Especially with games like New Super Mario Bros.

I too have been getting the red light sooner than I expected. I have it on the second bright setting, but if the red light still means it has 30% left, that is pretty good.

Please correct me if Im wrong, but using the wifi will drain the battery faster. I've been playing a LOT of mario kart online, so I'm going to hold off on that a bit and see how long my battery lasts.

Using the wifi will drain it faster, but I haven't been using it too much.

It seems the unit will in fact die after a while in red - I played for additional 45 minutes and it shut down on me. I have been playing on the second to brightness setting.

I guess I need to simply pay more attention to how long I'm playing, and see if it's anywhere close to the 7-11 hours I expect, but I really don't think so.

-HM

I have a related question... is it possible to play on a DS that is plugged AC socket to both play a game and charge the battery at the same time like the SP is suppose to be? If so, does the battery take longer to charge if you play at the same time?

I don't have a DS yet, but have a SP. And I had some problem playing on my SP while charging. One time after I played the game while charging, the red low-battery indicator would no longer work on my SP. I called Nintendo and a representative seem to suggest that it's not good to play and charge at the same time. So I no longer play and charge my SP at the same time. I'm just wondering if the DS have similar issues.

[quote name='jasonlives13']For me, as soon as I see the red light, I charge it ASAP. I would hate to lose my progress in a game just because I was stubborn and not save when I should have. Especially with games like New Super Mario Bros.[/QUOTE]

It's not a good idea to let a li-ion discharge so low before recharging. It reduces the battery's life. You should try to recharge it after about 50% and every once in a while (like, after 10 recharges from 50%) you should let it deplete almost fully before recharging it (helps keep).

If you let it go down to almost empty, the battery loses a bit of charge holding (not sure of the proper terminology on this stuff) power because it has little to nothing to hold. So charging it at 50% prevents that. Also, by letting it deplete almost fully every one in a while before charging helps to get rid of excess oxidation build-up (which we can't see) to help reduce corrosion.

[quote name='Hollow Man']From http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/dslite/battery_faq.jsp#play

Can I play my Nintendo DS Lite while I'm recharging the battery?

Yes, it is possible to play your Nintendo DS Lite while the battery is recharging; however, this will cause the charging process to take longer than the typical three hours when the system is not being played at the same time.

---

-HM[/QUOTE]

I guess my question is this... if you play your DS while it's charging, then after the light indicator said it's fully charged, you unplug the DS from the wall socket, and continue to play your DS. After DS's battery is low, will DS's low battery indicator turn on before it shut down? Or will the DS shutdown without warning because you were charging the DS while playing?

My SP actually will shutdown before the red-light indicator is turned on and the Nintendo representative said it's because I was charging while playing on my SP.

You should be fine. My girlfriend played with hers plugged in earlier in the week, then unplugged during the week, and the red light came on for her yesterday.

-HM

Also, if you use a Rumble Pack, flashcard, or WiFi, i think it would also suck up more battery. Not sure how much though. Just a few things to consider. But normally you should be getting about 4 hours on high brightness settings.

bread's done
Back