Review of ALS Industries DS game cases

Hollow Man

CAGiversary!
I posted this elsewhere, but felt it deserved its own thread.

These USA game cases are officially licensed by Nintendo and made by ALS Industries. At 3 cases per package, which hold 3 games each, for $5, it's sort of a no brainer in terms of value. They're made of hard, clear smoked plastic, contain the Nintendo and Nintendo DS logos, and are comprised of one lid that opens and closes the compartment (which is separated into 3 parts).

They seem to do their designed trick - provide game storage/protection without taking up space or breaking the bank account. They're durable and close with a decent "snap" (so much so that if you're not careful when exerting force to open them, the games may just fly out).

I've found them at both Best Buy and Circuit City, and you can go to their web pages to see if they have them in stock at a store near you.

-HM

They made some GBA cases that were very similar to these. The held three games and opened from the side... Very nice quality those were.

[quote name='Hollow Man']I posted this elsewhere, but felt it deserved its own thread.

These USA game cases are officially licensed by Nintendo and made by ALS Industries. At 3 cases per package, which hold 3 games each, for $5, it's sort of a no brainer in terms of value. They're made of hard, clear smoked plastic, contain the Nintendo and Nintendo DS logos, and are comprised of one lid that opens and closes the compartment (which is separated into 3 parts).

They seem to do their designed trick - provide game storage/protection without taking up space or breaking the bank account. They're durable and close with a decent "snap" (so much so that if you're not careful when exerting force to open them, the games may just fly out).

I've found them at both Best Buy and Circuit City, and you can go to their web pages to see if they have them in stock at a store near you.

-HM[/QUOTE]

Great review! I'm only now realizing that I can't take the DS cases, pretty though they are, everywhere I take my DS, cuz they're so frickin huge. So these cases are indeed a no-brainer. I'll have to try and find a pack at BB/CC.

Thanks!

I've been waiting for my Best Buy to get this as in stock for local pickup for weeks. Have a $5 consolation code from them so that would make it free. I was in store a week or so ago and they had two on the shelf, but either they don't let you buy the last couple through the site or it's out of synch. PITA. When I first looked it was in stock at the Best Buy a few miles further from me, but I figured it would come back in stock at the nearest within a week. A couple days later it went OOS everywhere near me. Okay enough ranting.

Maybe I have OCD but I get paranoid that "snap cases" will scratch the sides of DS games. Do they?

The case snaps shut, but the holders for the actual games inside the case don't "snap" the games into place. They're actually loose when you open the case, but stay in place when the case is shut. I haven't noticed any scratching, and find these to be the most pocketable solution for carrying multiple games.

I've been waiting for my Best Buy to get this as in stock for local pickup for weeks. Have a $5 consolation code from them so that would make it free. I was in store a week or so ago and they had two on the shelf, but either they don't let you buy the last couple through the site or it's out of synch. PITA. When I first looked it was in stock at the Best Buy a few miles further from me, but I figured it would come back in stock at the nearest within a week. A couple days later it went OOS everywhere near me. Okay enough ranting.

Me too. One day I saw them actually get one in and I did. Six hours later, I still didn't receive a pickup confirmation. Finally at store closing I receive an email that says they didn't have it in stock any more. I was so pissed. I called customer service and they said since I used a digital coupon, it was non-reusable so I basically lost out on $5. But they said they would ship it to me for free from their warehouse. I said you guys don't even have it in stock on your website. They said, oh, that's tough. Finally the guy said he could change my order to backorder and free shipping. A week later...it ships. I'm getting it Tuesday!

Thanks for the mini review, I'm tempted to get a pack, but 5 dollars is a lot to me and I can't find too many of those cases anywhere... I'm so damn cheap.... I'll try to scrounge up for some money.

It's a lot to me, too. But it's a three pack, so it holds nine games. They're the best domestically available cases and the price is very reasonable.

How in the word did you guys afford to buy any games or your DS if you think $5 for 9 game slots is too expensive?

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']How in the word did you guys afford to buy any games or your DS if you think $5 for 9 game slots is too expensive?

-HM[/QUOTE]

Please don't poo poo the cheapness. ;)

For me it's a simple matter of that being the only thing BB is going to have that I'd want to use the $5 code on. (Which now expires in a few weeks...) If their .com shipping charge wasn't ridiculous ($5 for that little package) I'd just order it there and let it ship when they got them back in.

I have 9 of these cases and they are great. Funny though that I only see them at Circuit City. Great value at $5 for a set of 3.

i'm using tic tac containers...without the tic tacs. 3 to a container and my brain age case holds at least 3 tic tac cans no problem. i'm currently full, so the next game i get will need to find a new home or one will go back in the original ds case.

i dunno why i can't find these or the gba ones in canada. i should have picked up more while i was down in the states.

I've only seen these at BB and CC. Since the launch of DS Lite, I've hardly seen most stores even restock either version.

I have these cases. I think I got them at Circuit city for $5. They are very awesome and useful. I put them in my Hori cases.

bread's done
Back