You guys want the truth about GS? Ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuros

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
It seems that lots of people here have some misconceptions about GS. I work at a GS so feel free to ask questions.

To start, whoever tells you that the Edge Card can't be used at a GS is wrong. A couple of weeks ago the Edge Card was added into the discount menu, giving you the 10% off.

[quote name='javeryh']I have a question: If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done? :D[/QUOTE]

you have failed at failing and should be ashamed to be successful. :lol:

question: why do gamestore employees lie more frequently than most store employees even when they aren't prompted to give any extraneous information?
:lol:

Is it true that GS employees are generally brighter and more competent than EB employees? That's been my experience at a handful of stores, and I've spoken with others who have noticed the same.

Why is it that GS has to put those fucking pricing stickers on every fucking thing in the store and it's impossible to get that shit off? Can't Gamestop invest in a cheaper way to put a tag on an item that says "We're completely raping you on the price of this item"?

[quote name='Apossum']you have failed at failing and should be ashamed to be successful. :lol:

question: why do gamestore employees lie more frequently than most store employees even when they aren't prompted to give any extraneous information?
:lol:[/QUOTE]

Example?

AnotherPoorGamer: Nothing in the works yet. I'll take a look today and see when I head into work.

Schuerm: Yea, it probably sounds like a hurt cow or something. I don't know exactly, I haven't hurt myself.

BeerGuy: When you think about it, the stickers are the most efficient way of pricing items. We can't put up those paper signs like the bigger stores because we move games around so often. Just as a note, GS stickers are easier to remove than EB stickers. If the stickers are rather new, or at least not too old, you can remove them no problem if you go slow.

Thanks Kuros, got another one is it common practice for GS to open/gut all new games for display or just one copy of each particular game?

Sorry to cut in like this.........But I also work @ the Stop...only for the piss poor
discount,And I do feel that the GS employees are some what better than EB
Employees at something like customer service,processing trade-ins, and etc.
But now since the merger they(EB) still have the better employee discount &
get paid more that Stop's empoor'ees, but I welcome the brethren.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Thanks Kuros, got another one is it common practice for GS to open/gut all new games for display or just one copy of each particular game?[/QUOTE]

It someone depends on the store actually.

Our store: We try to keep it to one gut for new games. We know people like their sealed copies. We give out the gut last.

What is up being charged full price for that last "new" copy -- you know, the one that has the box out on the shelves, but the disc and manual are sitting in a drawer much like the pre-owned stuff. I did a semi-rant about that on my lastest podcast ESC Pod (Podcast.Planet521.com), about being charged full price for Under the Knife, even though the game was basically treated like a pre-owned title. Why should I have to pay full price for essentially an open-box item? Why can't y'all put out one of those generic game boxes with the handwritten titles, like you do with pre-owned titles? (Which is another issue with me, too. People trading in nothing but the disc -- how the hell do they bring them in? On an unused CD-R spindle? Or maybe just the disc themselve???)

[quote name='retrovertigo']What is up being charged full price for that last "new" copy -- you know, the one that has the box out on the shelves, but the disc and manual are sitting in a drawer much like the pre-owned stuff. I did a semi-rant about that on my lastest podcast ESC Pod (Podcast.Planet521.com), about being charged full price for Under the Knife, even though the game was basically treated like a pre-owned title. Why should I have to pay full price for essentially an open-box item? Why can't y'all put out one of those generic game boxes with the handwritten titles, like you do with pre-owned titles? (Which is another issue with me, too. People trading in nothing but the disc -- how the hell do they bring them in? On an unused CD-R spindle? Or maybe just the disc themselve???)[/QUOTE]

It's considered new because it's unplayed. If you want a discount, nicely (emphasis on the nicely) ask if they can get you a 10% discount because it's an open box item. We can do that, but if you get mean, then forget it. I've had people start complaining before I even got to the discount and I think to myself "Forget the discount." and they pay full price.

As for people trading in disc only games, it happens more than you think. Usually they bring them in a CD case or just by themselves. Unfortunally in my opinion, we do give them the same amount for disc only or complete. I wish we could deduct for not having case and/or the manual.

retrovertigo I hear that. I just refuse their "last copy" stickered to death new games anymore. It wasn't so bad when it would happen once in a great while, but lately it seems anything thats not a new release is the last copy.

By the way nice thread Kuros. Most of the guys working around in the stores by me are pretty cool.

so can employees give out the 10% discount anytime as long as the customer is nice? if thats true then i'll be sure to be extra nice when i buy my next game.

[quote name='Darwin23']so can employees give out the 10% discount anytime as long as the customer is nice? if thats true then i'll be sure to be extra nice when i buy my next game.[/QUOTE]

You took what I said out of context. :p

We aren't gonna give you a discount on a sealed game, but if it's opened, ask if you can get a discount because it's opened. If the employee isn't a jackass, he/she can give you 10% off.

I have a question. Can you take back a used game as much as you want? I returned one I didn't like and got another. This one sucks too. Can I take it back?

When someone comes asking for a "rare" or hard to find game, do you guys actually stash it in the back? Maybe not you per say, but do the other employees hide games in the back, so they can buy it later or whatnot? And if they do, have you ever just lied to them and said "No we don't have it"?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I have a question. Can you take back a used game as much as you want? I returned one I didn't like and got another. This one sucks too. Can I take it back?[/quote]

From my experience (as a customer, not as a worker) you can take it back as many times as you want within the first 7 day period. It doesn't start over when you exchange a game. You have 7 days from the purchase of the first used game. Within that 7 days you can exchange to your hearts content. But after that 7 days from the time you purchased the original used game, you have to stop.

Make sense? Not sure if all G-stops are like that but mine is.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I have a question. Can you take back a used game as much as you want? I returned one I didn't like and got another. This one sucks too. Can I take it back?[/QUOTE]

Typically, stores will allow you to exchange twice off of the same transaction. Anymore is pushing it.

SolidSnake: If it's rare and hard to find, it depends really if someone wants it. Do employees get to hold games? Yes, but not forever. It's funny though, we have had a Gitaroo Man at our store for months and no one has picked it up. I'll just say that it's on hold for someone else and most people don't complain.

[quote name='Kuros']It's funny though, we have had a Gitaroo Man at our store for months and no one has picked it up. I'll just say that it's on hold for someone else and most people don't complain.[/quote]

That's because Gitaroo Man was reprinted. The price on the shelf for it at most GS is now overpriced.

TBW

How many managers do you go threw in a week?

Did you ever notice an employee puting there hands on costumers like soul mates when the employee is much too aged?

So whats your postion at GS? theif, pirate, or the extra who gets killed some where in the episode ?

Is your manager rasict in anyway?

Is your manager bald or carries a frown ?

[quote name='RegalSin2020']How many managers do you go threw in a week?

Did you ever notice an employee puting there hands on costumers like soul mates when the employee is much too aged?

So whats your postion at GS? theif, pirate, or the extra who gets killed some where in the episode ?

Is your manager rasict in anyway?

Is your manager bald or carries a frown ?[/QUOTE]

I don't speak idiot.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']Did you ever notice an employee puting there hands on costumers like soul mates when the employee is much too aged?[/quote]

FTW!!!!

[quote name='Kuros']I don't speak idiot.[/quote]

:D You've got to hand it to him though - that was a remarkable 2nd post ever...

I've gotten the 10% discount on my Trauma Center copy since it was the last one and opened. I actually didn't ask for it, the guy gave it to me. I thought that was decent since it was opened. The GS at the Pavillions in Scottsdale is good like that.

Why, when I go to gamestop looking to buy PSP games, does the sales guy tell me PSP games suck? This makes no sense to me as a salesman.

[quote name='kixalot']Why, when I go to gamestop looking to buy PSP games, does the sales guy tell me PSP games suck? This makes no sense to me as a salesman.[/QUOTE]

Then the salesman is an idiot.

kixalot
Why, when I go to gamestop looking to buy PSP games, does the sales guy tell me PSP games suck? This makes no sense to me as a salesman.

Well kixalot the salesman obviously wants to stop people from buying PSP games or the salesman is telling the truth from his own exprience. However this is a bad salesman in my book since he is being paid to sell out.

You know like sell out the store, sell his soul, sell himself.

[quote name='javeryh']FTW!!!'!
[/QUOTE]

Well at this GS I remember this sales person who would put there hands on little kids when they was just reaching for the Gamestop cards and would stare into there eyes telling them "I will get that for you"

The same sales rep would have there arms hanging off costumers asking if they want to pre-order.

More Questions.

Did you ever Windex the counter after somebody had there hands all over the counter?

Did you ever did that nope we don't have it gig to people but mostly kids when you did really have the game ?

Did you ever see a manager beg for there job on there knees or leave the cases open while taking there lunch break after being told the entire store was going to be laid off?

has your GS ever let people hang out and play music while playing there favoirte game of there choice?

Did you ever have a GS affair with one of the new or used employees?

Do most gamestop employees realize how fucking annoying it is to try and sell us on disc replacement plans, strategy guides, discount cards, pre-orders, or bringing in trades? I'd really like to see the customer who says "Really? Gamestop does trades now? I had no idea!"

Also, how hard does corporate push that during team building meetings or what not? Interesting thread despite most posters (mine included) of EB/Gamestop.

[quote name='ericx']What game is getting the most trade in value right now?[/QUOTE]

Well I remember when Dragon Balls GT was selling less for what they would trade in. The guy behind the counter was like okay lets round em up and trade them and repeat.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']
Did you ever have a GS affair with one of the new or used employees?[/QUOTE]

:rofl:... used employees, that put up a bad mental image.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Minimum wage is $7.15 here. That's why I thought 6 was kind of low...[/QUOTE]

In FL it's something like $6.35 or $6.50.

What happened to "try before you buy?" That might have only been a Funco thing, I don't know, but if it wasn't, I'd like to know what happened to it.

how come my job is soooo easy working at gamestop?

how come I get to put stuff on hold for myself at work, like Castlevania SotN?

how come I get first dibs on games right when they are traded in, Phoenix Wright anyone?

how come people throw their money at me when I am ringing them up, then when I give them change I drop it everywhere and say "oops!"

[quote name='Kuros']You took what I said out of context. :p

We aren't gonna give you a discount on a sealed game, but if it's opened, ask if you can get a discount because it's opened. If the employee isn't a jackass, he/she can give you 10% off.[/QUOTE]

So are you saying it's corporate policy to give the 10% discount on opened items, or is it totally employee discretion?

Also, I was told Gamestop started a new price matching policy recently. Can you verify?

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']how come my job is soooo easy working at gamestop?[/QUOTE]

Well working at Gamestop is no easier then working at MCdonalds. It depends if your a kid or doing a kids job with a kids pay.

how come I get to put stuff on hold for myself at work, like Castlevania SotN?

It's sotre policy to offer deals to employees. If a GS is in a mall and you work in the mall you might have discounts. Also this way they can pump profit back into the store.

how come I get first dibs on games right when they are traded in, Phoenix Wright anyone?

Well once again you are costumer and have that right. Also if the manager allows it then you have that right. Again it's a right that you have.;)

how come people throw their money at me when I am ringing them up, then when I give them change I drop it everywhere and say "oops!"

Well people throw money at you since your a the cash register or is a agressive shopper. Again you droping money everywhere is delaying the next costumer or to get back the costumer for throwing there money.

[quote name='kevzik']Would GS rather hire a good sales person, or one who has an extreme deep background in gaming?[/quote]
I can jump in on this question. Around October of last year, I was hired to work at a new GS opening in my area. I can honestly say that if I was working any other minimum wage job, I would be an incredible employee; however, this isn't true with GS. I think what many people fail to realize is that everything in Gamestop revolves around trade-ins, reservations, and subscriptions. These three things (primarily the latter two) more or less decide how many hours you will be working the next week, or even if you will have a job the next week. This means that a better sales person is generally needed. I know our store has had a few girl workers who brought in excellent numbers even though they constantly mispronounced games and they knew nothing of what they were talking about.

And to the person who talked about the workers asking about all of our extras, we're simply doing our jobs. Our store has been in trouble numerous times due to our lack of numbers. Our managers tell us that we have to ask EVERY customer for GPG's, reservations, subscriptions, and remind them that we take trade-ins as they leave. Per store, anytime one has to work, 9% of their sales have to be reservations and at least 6 % of our sales has to be magazine subscriptions. This may be annoying, but don't take it out on the employee. We're just doing what we have to do to stay on board.

later this year will gamestop be finally be able to take returns on purchases from EB games and giftcards, discount cards and what not?

[quote name='RegalSin2020']Well working at Gamestop is no easier then working at MCdonalds. It depends if your a kid or doing a kids job with a kids pay.

It's sotre policy to offer deals to employees. If a GS is in a mall and you work in the mall you might have discounts. Also this way they can pump profit back into the store.

Well once again you are costumer and have that right. Also if the manager allows it then you have that right. Again it's a right that you have.;)

Well people throw money at you since your a the cash register or is a agressive shopper. Again you droping money everywhere is delaying the next costumer or to get back the costumer for throwing there money.[/quote]

rofl you seriously answered the questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back