- - - - -

Nintendo Brand DS Lite Play-Thru Case REVIEW!

#31 lilboo   Not addicted to WoW CAGiversary!   18235 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:15 PM

Nah this doesn't fit in your pocket---Well unless your wearing cargo shorts that have the HUGE pocket.. then maybe.

The only case that should fit in your pocket is the Mario Sleeve.. that neophane or whatever that material is called.. It's the $9.99 sleeve that comes with the cloth (which is ok) and the stickers (LOL).. That could fit into your pocket (as long as your pockets are spacious)

#32 Arkay Firestar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1422 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Arkay Firestar

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:36 PM

One more question about this case. Im looking for a case small enough to be pocket sized, dont care too much about how many extras it can hold. Would this be the case for me? I read the sleeves have a problem of the color rubbing off.

I think sleeve or hori compact case for you...but truth be told, I've heard bad things about the sleeve...like the colored ones stain the plastic rubber feet and other parts of the DS Lite with their color...so get a white one or get another kind of sleeve case.

#33 Hollow Man   Booster seat? Hot dog! CAGiversary!   745 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Hollow Man

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:17 PM

Yes, there are a number of people who have said the red sleeve has rubbed off and stained the feet of the Lite. I'd stay away from that sleeve.

I used a ski goggle bag for mine until my Hori multipouch arrived yesterday.

-HM

#34 zero_bit   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   68 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:54 PM

I only get about 5 hours on my DS playing time ... =(
I have to charge the thing all the time. I'm on the 2nd to brightest setting, and have the volume almost cranked all the way. Is this normal?

#35 OGHowie   Old Ass Gamer CAGiversary!   2004 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:13 PM

Damn you Coconut! I want your E3 version. I got the regular black one from Circuit City and will prob cut/tear the plastic out too but I wish I had elastic straps in mine.

#36 b0bx13   Ah, custom title. CAGiversary!   1300 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:24 AM

Really off topic (but it's MYYYY thread so its ok :P)

I was looking again at the first pic..and.. I just noticed I think i have a sub-conscious that's OCD!

Meaning: When I put the games in the 3-pack cases.. I just put them in. But now that I'm looking at them.. I think I secretly catergorized them LOL
I have Mario-Peach-Kirby in one.. : Adventure/Platformer Games
Brain Age/Big Brain Academy/Zoo Keeper in another: Puzzle/Thinking Games
And Mario Kart/Animal Crossing: Wi-fi games.

Just wanted to point that out. I'm going to go INTENTIONALLY mess them up because that's weird.

and BTW back on topic--what the guy above me asked about the E3 case--Yeah if anyone knows--can ya answer? :) I'm curious bout that too!

To continue the off-topic-ness, what are those cases called/where can I get some? I know I saw them somewhere a while back, but I can't remember where.

#37 weevles   No. CAGiversary!   17510 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:57 AM

Good use of pics.

I just wish they would design a portable case that doesn't look so teeny and cutesy. My wife loves to tease my little DS "man purse" I picked up from an import shop. The damn thing is functional and can carry a bunch of games and the adapter to boot, but I look like I should be humming and skipping when I have to carry it around. :P

#38 freonchill   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   8 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

freonchill

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:30 AM

thanks for the review - had my ds lite since the day it came out here in the states and havent taken it out and about with me b/c i couldnt decide on a case to protect it.

was looking @ the steel case listed @ amazon, but for $10 this looks like a winner.

thanks again for the review

#39 lilboo   Not addicted to WoW CAGiversary!   18235 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

To continue the off-topic-ness, what are those cases called/where can I get some? I know I saw them somewhere a while back, but I can't remember where.

I don't know the EXACT name..but.. they are DS game cases. They come in a 3 pack (for a total of holding 9 games) for $5. I think everyone sells them, but I got mine at Circuit City. They really are great!

thanks for the review - had my ds lite since the day it came out here in the states and havent taken it out and about with me b/c i couldnt decide on a case to protect it.

was looking @ the steel case listed @ amazon, but for $10 this looks like a winner.

thanks again for the review

No prob! Glad ya enjoyed it :)

Well my boyfriend picked up the steel (well it's aluminum) and it's actually really nice as well. Someone posted a review on here somewhere. Unless your talking about the whole kit..then I dunno about that.

The intect aluminum case is really nice. The one I have is really nice. Again--the best way to answer the ultimate question of "What case is good" is asking yourself "What do I need to carry?"

They both carry the same amount. So now you ask yourself what kind of style you want :)

#40 Hollow Man   Booster seat? Hot dog! CAGiversary!   745 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Hollow Man

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:53 PM

I reviewed these game cases here:

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=97534

-HM

#41 espionage   Aging Hardcore Gamer CAGiversary!   509 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for doing this review!

I'm actually very happy with the ALS brand cases I have found from Circuit City.

I got one of the ALS brand cases for my Nintendo DS for $10 back when the Nintendo DS first came out and love it:

http://www.amazon.co...glance&n=468642

It's definitely thicker than ALS's DS Lite case because it has a front sleeve to hold Nintendo DS games (without cases) but behind the sleeve is a pocket that you can store your charger/headphones, or GBA games.

I use it now to hold my DS Lite, all my games, and accessories, and it fits fine. But I think eventually I will need to pick up a DS Lite case at some point since I still held onto my old DS for trips with my girlfriend and will be traveling with both DS's at times.

I'm not too big a fan of the plastic play through sleeve though, so I'll probably pass on this one and get a Hori case.

BTW here are some other Gamecube related great cases that I have gotten at Circuit City from ALS:

Nintendo Gamecube game case:
http://www.circuitci...roductDetail.do
Didn't enjoy putting my gamecube discs in a CD holder with all the sliding around so this fit the bill perfectly!

Nintendo Gamecube console case:
http://www.circuitci...roductDetail.do
This is a small cute cube case that holds your console, cables (and the fat adapter), all four controllers, and the game case too. I use it when I want to bring my Gamecube over to a friend's house for four player fun!

#42 IvanHood   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   597 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:40 AM

Just to reiterate what someone else has mentioned, the plastic on these cases is not very difficult to remove. In my experience, the stitching is very high quality, and tearing out the plastic did not damage my case at all. Do this at your own risk, of course, but for those of you who like this case but hate the plastic (like me), this is an option.

#43 catapult37   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   389 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 05:37 PM

I bought this case last night before reading this thread. I really love the case... it feels like it protects the DS very well and I actually like the playthrough thing.

Good advice on where to put the stylus, but I also bought a thumbstrap which I already prefer... unfortunately that's one of the things that doesn't fit so well due to its weird shape (though it is possible to put it in the main compartment near the fold). Anyway, yes there are some storage compromises but this is a slick-ass case. I love it.

#44 Rusdude   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   71 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:25 AM

I've got the white E3-exclusive version that -- as already mentioned -- is the exact copy except for lack of play-through plastic (two straps instead). And I also have a bunch of those game cases (also from Circuit City; I think, they go for $3 for a 3-pack).

Previously, I was looking at getting a nice leather case, but the E3 case is so nice, I'll keep it. It looks much better than the pictures :) Here's what I can fit in it:

-- two game cases (=6 games), one extra stylus, one pair of earphones (in the pouch);
-- one DS Lite w/ a game and one game case (in the main compartment)

So, a total of 10 games, earphones, and DS Lite :)

FYI, I have the invisibleShield on my DSL, so I'm not worried about squeezing DSL and a game case inside. I'd not think it could gamage DSL but who knows...

P.S. Lilboo, I also sort games by category when I put them in cases :)
P.P.S. invisibleShield (from ShieldZone) rocks!

#45 Irish   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   5 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:08 AM

FYI

I picked up the navy blue version from Circuit City and I agree that the plastic is not a good/perfect fit, but I've found that it seems to be dependent on the temperature and time spent in the case. Sometimes I take it out, sometimes I don't. I've also been able to basically "cram" two of those game cases in as well. For $10 I'm not going to complain. It serves to keep my DS protected from any bumbling. I don't need it to carry the charger and everything else. Give me a half dozen games for my "Adult ADD" and a powered up DS and I'm good to go.

#46 lilboo   Not addicted to WoW CAGiversary!   18235 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:56 AM

P.S. Lilboo, I also sort games by category when I put them in cases :)

That's cool.. but the demented part about what happened with me is that I realized it later. It wasn't intentional. Now that I looked at it and made that connection.. sadly, all I do is catergorize them.. sigh!

#47 Rusdude   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   71 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:53 PM

That's cool.. but the demented part about what happened with me is that I realized it later. It wasn't intentional. Now that I looked at it and made that connection.. sadly, all I do is catergorize them.. sigh!

As long as you find time to play them, it's all good :) It's probably a positive sign too.

P.S. Not sure what happened to all the E3 cases (eBay was full of them when I got it a few weeks ago), but here's one auction -- http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem