$8.96 CC games mini-reviews

Fatesealer

CAGiversary!
With so many of us getting in on the deal, I figured we may as well speak our minds as to what we think of the games (that have been played so far)

Wild Arms 4: I'm loving it so far, though I miss the individual tools like the other 3 had. Well worth the price.
Ultimate Spiderman: Instantly recognied Mac (of Foster's) as the voice of SPiderman. Good so far.
Castlevania: Feels so 'empty', like Lament was. It may just be me but Hector moves kind of stiff. I'll give it more time.
True Crime NY: AWESOME intro level.......... and then the game starts... meh
The Warriors: I think it'll be something over quickly so I've put it aside for now.
Driver PL: I think I'm all 'GTA'ed' out. You've played one, you've played them all... but badass CG movies though ^_^.
SSX On Tour: So wait, I have to create my own character? Where's the fun in that? Give me back my Kaori damnit :p.
Hulk UD: Mindless fun... put it aside.
Gun: Worth the price. FUn while it lasted (all 3 hours of it).
Radiata Stories: Havent gotten real time in yet, so no rea lcomment.
Getting Up: It's ok for what it is. It's not SUPPOSED to be the best game ever, but as a regular game, it's alright.

Castlevania took a little while to get into for me. Once you get a couple of Innocent Devils and start evolving them, the game really takes off. Once that aspect really got going, I really started to enjoy this game.

I Played:

Indigo Prophecy - I didn't like it too much. Boring but I wanted to keep playing to see what happens next.

Hulk UD - Nice Free Roaming Beat em up game. Like OP said Minless Fun.

Matrix Neo - Ok so Far. Not as good as I was expecting. I had higher standards for this one.

[quote name='Logain8955']Castlevania took a little while to get into for me. Once you get a couple of Innocent Devils and start evolving them, the game really takes off. Once that aspect really got going, I really started to enjoy this game.[/QUOTE]

Yep... it really picks up once you get out of that boring first level, too.

Castlevania: COD - Not a classic but better than Lament of Innocence.
Syphon Filter Omega Strain - Boring levels, respawning enemies, lame story...Meh.
We Love Katamari - Better than the first, tons of fun.

Still need to pick up Wild Arms 4.

Just thought I mention that Radiata Stories is a pretty decent RPG but both endings are just so lackluster. It will leave you with a "That's It?" type of impression.

[quote name='slidecage']is Castlevania: COD an RPg type game like the DS one or is it totally different[/QUOTE]

It has SOTN style rpg elements. You can also level up your innocent poke-er-....devils...and evolve them too.

I bought Radiata Stories, Hulk, and Spiderman at launch (though via GR preorders so I only paid $30 for each). I think all 3 are well worth the CC clearance price. I played the GC versions of Hulk and Spiderman, but I'm sure there's not much difference.

Radiata is an excellent game and if you are an RPG fan do not hesitate to get this game at $9. I played through one path (about 1/3 through you choose one of two paths) and while it was a bit short compared to many other RPGs I kind of liked that. It was nice to finish a RPG without it consuming my gaming time for several weeks. I think I put about 30 hours into it. Eventually I will go back to it and play the other path.

Oh, and I also got We Love Katamari which I had a blast with - much more variety than the first one. This is a no-brainer at $9. Seems to be hard to find though (none at 4 CC's I went to).

For the guy who had high expectations for Path of Neo - all I can say is "really?". All I ever hear about Matrix games is how bad they are. I picked it up and might play it some day, but I have very low expecations for it. So maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised :D.

The game from this sale that I am most likely to play any time soon is the Nightmare Before Christmas game - has anyone played through that? From the reviews it sounds short (which is fine if I only spent $9 on it), looks pretty, but doesn't have the greatest gameplay.

Another I might consider playing soon, once I get it from a CAG via trade, is Gauntlet (which was simply not available anywhere near me - I even had them check stock at nearby stores). Any comments on that? How is it as a single-player game vs the online elements?

[quote name='io']
Another I might consider playing soon, once I get it from a CAG via trade, is Gauntlet (which was simply not available anywhere near me - I even had them check stock at nearby stores). Any comments on that? How is it as a single-player game vs the online elements?[/QUOTE]

Go to GameFAQs and read some user reviews, or people on that board.. the game is universally hated. A short, easy single player mode (someone said it's 3 - 4 hours), I don't even think the game has online elements, it has 0 replayability... it's not even worth $9 I think. I saw it at a few CC's and I passed on it, the game was supposed to be on the right path in development and then most of the people who were working on it bailed. I've got better uses for my gaming time then playing shit like Seven Sorrows (which is aptly named).

I use GameFAQ's as an example because on every board, there is always someone who loves the game and defends it... I saw nobody defending the game there.

Path of Neo is pretty decent actually, for a third person brawler. I enjoyed the time I spent with it, the game really picks up when Neo learns more moves.

I like gun so far, but the control is weak and the towns are empty compared to any GTA game. It's still fun, though.

Awesome thread. I picked up Indigo Prophecy, Radiata Stories and Castlevania; now all I need is a working PS2 to play them. I'm glad to hear Radiata is on the shorter side actually, as much as I loved DQVIII, 75 hours is just too much time to spend on one game.

[quote name='coolz481']Awesome thread. I picked up Indigo Prophecy, Radiata Stories and Castlevania; now all I need is a working PS2 to play them. I'm glad to hear Radiata is on the shorter side actually, as much as I loved DQVIII, 75 hours is just too much time to spend on one game.[/QUOTE]

Dragon Quest is a pretty solid game thats humorous at times... but most of that 75 hours is leveling up to beat the 'next area'. I can't tell you the many times I thought I was strong enough, only to have to put in work to level up more. I'm near/at the end and right now, I don't have the patience to finish despite giving it 72 hours (most trying to fight metal slimes).

[quote name='Fatesealer']Dragon Quest is a pretty solid game thats humorous at times... but most of that 75 hours is leveling up to beat the 'next area'. I can't tell you the many times I thought I was strong enough, only to have to put in work to level up more. I'm near/at the end and right now, I don't have the patience to finish despite giving it 72 hours (most trying to fight metal slimes).[/QUOTE]

I put over 100 hours into DQ VIII. Even though I spent $30 on it, it was probably my single best gaming purchase ever.

I didn't really do any power-leveling (metal slime hunting) until I beat it the first time and went back to do the extra stuff - the Dragovian Trials. THOSE are very tough indeed, and you need to be up there level-wise. I probably tacked on another 30 hours just for that part.

But the main game, I don't think, requires too much time spent doing mindless levelling. If you play through every area and spend a bit of time searching for treasure chests you'll be fine. I even used the spell that wards off random encounters throughout most of the game, so I avoided many battles. It only works on weaker monsters, but it saved me tons of time when backtracking to seach for chests.

[quote name='Logain8955']Castlevania took a little while to get into for me. Once you get a couple of Innocent Devils and start evolving them, the game really takes off. Once that aspect really got going, I really started to enjoy this game.[/QUOTE]
True that. The beginning was boring, but after getting by that beginning part I'm playing it quite a bit. It's addicting in a strange way. I might even spend some extra time hunting for some rare drops tomorrow. I'm pissed since I missed stealing from Issac the first time you fight him. Still not as good as the GBA/DS versions, but definitely better than the garbage that was Lament of Innocence.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']True that. The beginning was boring, but after getting by that beginning part I'm playing it quite a bit. It's addicting in a strange way. I might even spend some extra time hunting for some rare drops tomorrow. I'm pissed since I missed stealing from Issac the first time you fight him. Still not as good as the GBA/DS versions, but definitely better than the garbage that was Lament of Innocence.[/QUOTE]

Third'd (tho I kinda liked LoI :p). The leveling up aspects are very addictive, and I enjoyed collecting the ingredients to make new weapons as well (although some of the hardest to make end up being useless...). Very fun game imo, and well worth $9.

I also really enjoyed SSX: On Tour as well. Better than 3 imo - the only downside is you have to create your own character, but besides that it's all good.

ME: Getting Up is a fun game that's marred by unnecessary stealth. But there's enough good game there to make it worth playing through. A semi-decent story, some very nice environments and several very cool ideas. I think if they ever make a sequel, they could smooth out some of the rough edges, drop the stealth & really have something.

Getting Up is a fun game that's marred by unnecessary stealth.
EXACTLY. I'm up to the inside of the meat processing plant, and I just couldn't play anymore. The stealth elements are killing it for me. It's a damn shame since the game is decent. I just don't see why developers feel the need lately to toss in this stealth garbage.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']EXACTLY. I'm up to the inside of the meat processing plant, and I just couldn't play anymore. The stealth elements are killing it for me. It's a damn shame since the game is decent. I just don't see why developers feel the need lately to toss in this stealth garbage.[/QUOTE]

You know, I was wondering what the hell this game is about. I guess I'll have to read some reviews. But the fact that it has stealth aspects is a complete turn-off for me. I hate stealth :D.

[quote name='io']You know, I was wondering what the hell this game is about. I guess I'll have to read some reviews. But the fact that it has stealth aspects is a complete turn-off for me. I hate stealth :D.[/QUOTE]

I love stealth when it's done GOOD, and not just thrown in and done half ass like a ton of games, or when it's done un-needlessly. Some game did a good job with stealth... I can't think of any right now but I know some games did, other then MGS / Splinter Cell. I don't mind stealth but it seems most developers have no clue how to utilize it... I don't want long drawn out stealth sequences in my action games!!!

Now that I know Getting Up is ruined by horrible stealth scenes, I'm going to ebay it, and make my $7 back I paid for it. Thanks!!

io - Did you ever play Gauntlet yet? I bought it since it was the last copy, I honestly thought about playing it, but bad user reviews and that review from Gamespot just makes me want to ebay my copy. I mean, they even cut the unlockable characters out of the final build :(

Here's a mini review - Blitz the league is a fun take on football, it's nothing mind blowing and a far cry from real football games but breaking someones bones and seeing the rough hits never gets old.

[quote name='Roufuss']
io - Did you ever play Gauntlet yet? I bought it since it was the last copy, I honestly thought about playing it, but bad user reviews and that review from Gamespot just makes me want to ebay my copy. I mean, they even cut the unlockable characters out of the final build :([/QUOTE]

I am still trying to obtain it via trade with another CAG, but he hasn't responded in a few days (after I almost mailed my end of the trade). Hopefully I'll hear back from him soon, otherwise I guess I'll just hold off entirely on Gauntlet.

For whatever reason, it seems to be hard to find at CC. It is not quite Radiata or Katamari hard, but none of the 4 CC's around me had it the day it made the sale list. They are overflowing with most of the other titles.

I put a little time in with DK King of Swing tonight, and although I'm only on the second world (6th level) I must say it's a pretty fun game. So far for me the controls have been very nice and easy (some reviewers complained about the controls) my only complaint so far is the game seems to move a little bit slow, not that DK was ever a speed demon but if they could have sped the game up a little bit this game would have been awesome. Still from what I've played so far I recomend it if you like platformers, but keep in mind I'm not too terribly far into it.

Of the games I bought, I've only touched Star Wars: Episode III for the DS. After playing through the first couple missions, I find the game to be a pretty fun beat 'em up. You have the option of playing as either Obi Wan or Anakin. To give the game some replay value, both characters have unique Force powers. The game also does a pretty good job at implementing the Force powers. There are also Starship Battles that work to mix up the side scrolling action. I cannot comment on any of these flying missions having not yet played them, although I hear they are quite fun.

My only beef with the game is that I wish it would have made better use of the touch screen. Hopefully the flying missions do a better job of this than the side scrolling portion.

Overall, I am happy with the game but I know it will only be a matter of time before I sell / trade it off.

Ultimate Spider-Man (DS):
7.5/10
Fun, but the locked perspective is kinda annoying. The comic-book cut scenes are kinda cool though.

Metroid Prime: Pinball:
8/10
Crappy at first, but it grows on you. Fairly hard too, and a little confusing.

Mario Party Advance:
6/10
Eh, a big pain to start and pick up and play with. It has some good mini-games I guess.

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction:
8.5/10
Awesome. I love it. Destruction gets a little old, but the free roaming and missions are sweet, and it really feels like a lot went into the game. Great graphics, too.

I don't think I really need to express opinions on Katamari or FFIV Adavance other than saying they're both great.

Advance Wars DS is fun, but I really suck at it, so that taints my opinion a bit.

Drill Dozer is a blast. Definitely worth the money. It's just... great.

Trace memory is well worth the money. it's short but pretty cool, especially if you like point and click adventure games. great artwork too.

DK : King of Swing - Awesome once you get used to the controls, lots of unlockables and it's pretty fun.

DBZ: Supersonic Warriors 2 - Pretty fun if you're a fan, lots of unlockables and lots of things to do. It's pretty much just a fan service game (but halfway decent).

Dr. Mario / Puzzle League - It's just awesome, you have no excuse not to buy it if you even like puzzle games a little bit.

Fifa 2006 (DS): Very good portable soccer. Pretty full featured, good controls for d-pad, and good graphics (though animation obviously limited). The touch-screen tactics/overhead map are extermely useful.

Pac 'n' Roll (DS): Fun from what I tried, but seems like it will get old quickly. You go around eating dots to get to the next area and face a few platforming/baddie challenges.

Sigma Star Story (GBA) is a merge of two great genres: RPGs and Gradius-like shooters. The shooting sequences seem a bit TOO easy at this point, but are a great alternative to the usual RPG battle systems.

I haven't played enough Advance Wars to give my two cents, but I am liking what I'm seeing so far :)

The Warriors is decent fun. It's probably the best beat-em up I've played since the SNES days. It also has a decent amount of side stuff to do, in the GTA fashion. Defending your turf, working out to gain stamina, some flashback missions. My only problem is that the controls feel a little "loose" at times. Once you get used to it, it's no big deal but it can get annoying.

Roufuss i played Gauntlet for a few hours multiplayer(4 player on ps2 offline)

Id say its worth 8 bucks, and i didnt read a single review

Sometimes people will say they hate or love a game just because thats what they read in a review(i have actually run into a person like this)

[quote name='Weedy649']Roufuss i played Gauntlet for a few hours multiplayer(4 player on ps2 offline)

Id say its worth 8 bucks, and i didnt read a single review

Sometimes people will say they hate or love a game just because thats what they read in a review(i have actually run into a person like this)[/QUOTE]

I have no one who wants to play it multiplayer though... I was expecting something along the lines of a more typical action RPG, and it dosen't seem like Gauntlet can really deliver. I have so many AAA games to play right now I don't think I have time for a C game, which is what the professional and game player reviews have made it out to sound (at least the single player campaign aspect).

Not even any unlockable characters... that's just sucky, and I remember the ones they had planned for the game were supposed to be awesome. I followed this game from its birth (the Game Informer spread) and really starting doubting it once John Romero and Chris Taylor (I think it was him, I honestly don't remember anymore) bailed on the project, and it seems the whole game suddenly changed.

The game was supposed to be more of an action RPG but apparently the "fans" wanted a pure Gauntlet experience.

I haven't sold it yet... I bought the only copy I saw for PS2 but I just have so much else to play. I mean, it may be awesome as a multiplayer game but I don't really have the means to play it like that =/

Godzilla:Save the Earth.

I dont know if it is because its a $9 game but this game is pure, button mashing fun. A cross between War of the Monsters and Powerstone.

Each monster has unique abilities and powers which seem to help balance out the gameplay. When more than two characters are onscreen at once it goes into a top down type perspective.

The graphics arent mind blowing but they get the job done. A shame my XBOX is no longer connected to LIVE because I would LOVE to try this online. But if you get some friends over and I can see the mayhem that would ensue.

Good game, very much worth $9, Id even say $20-30 range.

Flatout XB - wasn't that impressed with the handling in the driving game itself, but the bonus modes with the demolition derby, high jump, and long jump (you fling the driver out of your car fir height and distance! were fun!

3 out of 5

Dr.Mario/Puzzle Mania - great puzzle games and each games has many different modes. My roomate can't stop playing it, I had to pull out my old GBA so I could get my DS back from him!

4.5 out of 5

Exit PSP - great style, great music, great graphics! A very fun puzzle game, reminds me a bit of Lemmings...the only problem is I am about 25-30 levels in and the levels do require a bit of trial and error, so you may play a level through for 8 minutesand then make a move that is an unrecoverable mistake and you must start from scratch. :( For some reason I'm fascinated by the cinematic that plays when you finish a level and Mr. ESC runs off screen.

4 out of 5

PS2

The Incrediable Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Great game that is well worth the $10. The gameplay is great. The story is decent. I just beat the game today. Highly recommended even for the $20 it usually retails at right now.

8.7/10

I've only cracked open two of them so far, but what the hey...

Xbox Driver Parallel Lines - This seemed pretty decent, but like someone else said earlier, its another open-ended GTA game where there's so much to do, and I can't really be bothered to get into it. (I recently just played Total Overdose and am all open-ended-gameplayed-out for the moment). Love the 70s music though, and it had a very cinematic feel. But I decided I'd rather have the $21 from Gamerush than hold onto it.

Xbox Gun - This is pretty cool and I'm into it, even though I just said I've had enough open-ended GTAness for a while, this one is different enough to be interesting. Very cinematic, the shootouts are intense (I'm playing on Hard level), and there's a lot of variety in the gameplay - horseback riding, stagecoach chases, bounty hunting, poker(!) and so on. This is a keeper!

[quote name='Roufuss']I have no one who wants to play it multiplayer though... I was expecting something along the lines of a more typical action RPG, and it dosen't seem like Gauntlet can really deliver. I have so many AAA games to play right now I don't think I have time for a C game, which is what the professional and game player reviews have made it out to sound (at least the single player campaign aspect).

Not even any unlockable characters... that's just sucky, and I remember the ones they had planned for the game were supposed to be awesome. I followed this game from its birth (the Game Informer spread) and really starting doubting it once John Romero and Chris Taylor (I think it was him, I honestly don't remember anymore) bailed on the project, and it seems the whole game suddenly changed.

The game was supposed to be more of an action RPG but apparently the "fans" wanted a pure Gauntlet experience.

I haven't sold it yet... I bought the only copy I saw for PS2 but I just have so much else to play. I mean, it may be awesome as a multiplayer game but I don't really have the means to play it like that =/[/QUOTE]

Doh. I have been waiting for this to drop to $20 and i really wanted it for $8.96 but I can't find it around here anywhere. If it was almost exactly like Gauntlet: Dark Legacy but with different levels and powerups (and maybe a few improvements) I'd be happy. I assume the people bad-mouthing it are like the ones who bad-mouth GTA:SA for being "more of the same?"

The Matrix: Path of Neo - 7 out of 10 - I finished this earlier, and I enjoyed it. Not too long, not too short. A bit easy at times but still good. I wish the combo system was a little more fleshed out because I found myself doing the same thing over and over unwittingly. The final boss fight was somehwat reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus, which is good, but what the fuck was up with that ending?

Has anyone played Half-Life 2 (XB) yet? Dear god, I don't know if I'll be able to finish this game. The framerate is so choppy, stuttery, and slow that it gave me a headache after 30 minutes. I don't know if I can deal with it.

Goldeneye DS- decent DS-based FPS action. Beat it on easy and sold it for $10. Has a bug that causes the controls to freak out if you put the game to sleep.

Star Wars: Episode III DS: seems ok after a few levels. Definitely has a learning curve. I might re-sell, haven't decided.

Polarium: Puzzle mode is pretty fun--the mechanic is interesting and the line drawing is uniquely suited to the DS. The soundtrack is sweet. The tetris-like Challenge mode is pointless., since it just boils down to how fast you can draw. My favorite of my DS purchases, but with no replay value, I will probably sell it once beating it.

Castlevania: COD Xbox: Seems pretty crappy but I'm a 2D Castlevania fanboy, so i will keep it.

Mercenaries Xbox: seems awesome, but I haven't played it much yet.

[quote name='io']I put over 100 hours into DQ VIII. Even though I spent $30 on it, it was probably my single best gaming purchase ever.

I didn't really do any power-leveling (metal slime hunting) until I beat it the first time and went back to do the extra stuff - the Dragovian Trials. THOSE are very tough indeed, and you need to be up there level-wise. I probably tacked on another 30 hours just for that part.

But the main game, I don't think, requires too much time spent doing mindless levelling. If you play through every area and spend a bit of time searching for treasure chests you'll be fine. I even used the spell that wards off random encounters throughout most of the game, so I avoided many battles. It only works on weaker monsters, but it saved me tons of time when backtracking to seach for chests.[/quote]

Agreed, I played it awhile back and it was a great game. I finished the game in about 70 hours, then went back and did power leveling to beat the Dragovian Trials and unlock the Dragon Soul technique. I was hoping for BeDragon, but was a little disappointed. On the whole Dragon Quest VIII has been one of my favorite games of this gen, but I was again disappointed by how easy the final boss was and the game in general wasn't that tough and got really simple if you had 2 Timbrel of Tensions. I did enjoy wandering around the vast terrain though and always finding a new treasure chest I had overlooked or an enemy that could be recuited for my monster team.

Any game that I can spend over 100 hours playing and still want to play more is a winner in my book. I just wish the game was on par with Dragon Warrior II as far as difficulty was concerned. Although, part of DWII's immense difficulty came from the level caps and enemy spells that could instantly (and often did) obliterate your party. I digress though, anyone that hasn't played DQVIII owes it to themselves to do so now that the game can be had for $20 or less most places. In fact, I'm going to go play it right now.

bread's done
Back