Best way(s) to clean your DS Lite?

lilboo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
So I have 2 of those wipe cloths (same thing, just one is a Peach face and one is a Mario face LOL) and they really don't do much for the screen.. just pretty much get away any bit of small dust.

What can you do about smudges?? I just hate that if by any chance your finger touches the screen you get a finger print..and the cloths don't wipe that away! (Unless your supposed to wipe hard, and I'm afraid to press hard on the screen)

And even the case gets kinda smudgey..and the cloth only does so much.
Sooo.. what are some of the best ways to clean it? I always make sure my hands are clean before I use it.. so yeah.

Any sprays? Other kinds of wipes/cloths?

I would recommend screen protectors, so you can wipe the screen a little harder without worrying about scratching it (although if you're worrying about cracking the screen, thats something else)...with the protectors skin oil and fingerprints and the like seem to come off easier...at least they did with my Phat DS.

Also, maybe have a soft cloth with you at all times to rub the outer shell with...its hard to get skin oils off entirely, but if you spread them enough they're not noticable...maybe even dampen a paper towel a LITTLE bit (wet hand, shake hand, then slap towel once or twice for very slight moisture) and get the smudges off the outside that way.

One way or another though, just be careful what you use to wipe the screens, and remember that protectors can be easier to clean.

Oh, that's cool. So I ASSUME that spray cleaner is also safe on the DS' screens?? More concerned with touch screen.

I should look into the screen protectors.. the Hori ones are the best, correct??
I guess I'll look into importing them then =)

I guess that & the cleaner because the cleaner should take away all smudges on the DS itself right?

Thanks alot for the info thus far!

I like to use cloths that are safe for camera lenses and sunglasses- I've had a cloth from "Digipower" that I got from Circuit City years ago for a camera. I also have some from optometrists that you get with new glasses. As long as you keep the cloth clean you don't have to worry about them scratching your screen and they always remove smudges for me. Once or twice I've used those wet Flents Wide N Clear cloths - they also work well.

Yep, lense cloths work great.

Or the bag rag that came in that Mario bundle at CC, as it's more or less a lens cloth.

I bought the Pelican Game Stop Screen Protector/Stylus pack. At first, I was hesitant, as I had always read that non-official styli could hurt the touch screen, but as of now it's just a spare. However, the screen protectors work quite nicely, and don't leave residue. There are some bubbles if you don't put it on perfectly, but they are completely invisible while the system is on.

I always say this and EVERYONE looks over my post. But I will try again.

My wife uses MAC makeup. But she normally doesnt use the applicator that comes with it (a small round extremely soft sponge)

That things kicks major ass at wiping the screen clean. So I did a little checking (since I dont normally shop for makeup!) and they sell just the sponges for like 10-20 @ $2 at Walmart etc.

They are superior in wiping fingerprints off (they absorb the oil) and they dont smudge one bit. They are super soft and can be used over and over. I have never once scratched my screen with them...

Okay now just ignore this post and keep on reading and looking for something that does it better... you wont find it for this price. 10 cents. Thats a CAG for ya.

[quote name='Snake2715']I always say this and EVERYONE looks over my post. But I will try again.

My wife uses MAC makeup. But she normally doesnt use the applicator that comes with it (a small round extremely soft sponge)
[/quote]

Ahh... you, see that's where you lost all CAG validity. The wife cost offsets the 10 cent applicator score. :D

[quote name='Billservo']Ahh... you, see that's where you lost all CAG validity. The wife cost offsets the 10 cent applicator score. :D[/QUOTE]

True BUT its easy to keep her happy. And she makes pretty good money so a $30 compact once every 3 months is nothing. In reality I get a free applicator!!

Before I got my Hori Screen protector I would just wet a corner of a microfiber cloth and give the screen a once over, then use the dry part of the cloth to dry the screen and *BAM* beautifully clean screen.

[quote name='jcp4322']monster screen clean seems to work well also[/quote]

I love that stuff. I have seen it single handedly revive PS2 games that would no longer play. Kinda pricey though.

QFT = Quoted For Truth

Tiny dab of rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip does wonders. The top is dry by the time I'm wiping down the bottom of the screen.

I may try out those make up sponges. I was just at Wal-Mart a few hours ago. Should have checked this thread earlier. :cry:

I'm jacking this thread to say GET A FREAKING SCREEN COVER.

I scratched my touch screen if you couldn't tell. I'm talking 1 cm of unrepairable suckage. :cry:

Rubbing alcohol, or better yet, industrial grade isopropyl alcohol (same thing but higher concentration) is great stuff as it destroys oils left by sausage fingers. Q-tips are good, industrial cleaning q-tips are better (double sided, tightly packed heads that don't break apart or drop lint).

Just make sure when you're wiping your screen with a lens cloth that there isn't any sediment on the cloth or screen. You don't want to be dragging a small pebble across it.

I've actually heard that you can use toothpaste on the screen to clean it. There was a link I found before but I'm too lazy to look for it now. The poster who said get screen protectors is right though, you NEED them. I had a small cm scratch on my DS too, and I hated it. Get em.

Never mind, not too lazy I guess:
http://ninds.deviantart.com/journal/5240411/

[quote name='chair_home']I've actually heard that you can use toothpaste on the screen to clean it.
[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I wouldn't do that. Toothpaste normally has some "grit" in it. Might be ok for glass but I wouldn't do that for a plastic screen.

Bringin this back..My dad has the eyeglass cleaner---Would that work if I spray my DS screens and wipe it off w/ a microfiber cloth?

BTW--I have that mario case for the DSLite and it coems with that cloth--that's considered a microfiber..riiight?!

Here's what I do:

Cotton cloth diapers are great for cleaning LCD screens (I use them on camera lenses and glasses, too). Dampen one just a bit with water and then rub the smudges away.

The big thing to avoid: wood-based wipes (paper towels, tissue, etc.). The wood fibers will scratch the surface and the scratches will build up over time.

I'd avoid alcohol or other cleaners, in general. From my experience these will end up rubbing off labels and there may be an issue with the alcohol and the surface of whatever your rubbing not agreeing (you may damage the surface).

Brad

I usually use rubbing alcohol, and I just mix it with water(I use about 80%water 20% rubbing alcohol)and I have a little spray bottle that I keep it in, I spray the mix on a eyeglass cleaner rag, and it takes off the smuges , fingerprints etc.

[quote name='Snake2715']I always say this and EVERYONE looks over my post. But I will try again.

That things kicks major ass at wiping the screen clean. So I did a little checking (since I dont normally shop for makeup!) and they sell just the sponges for like 10-20 @ $2 at Walmart etc.

They are superior in wiping fingerprints off (they absorb the oil) and they dont smudge one bit. They are super soft and can be used over and over. I have never once scratched my screen with them...

Okay now just ignore this post and keep on reading and looking for something that does it better... you wont find it for this price. 10 cents. Thats a CAG for ya.[/QUOTE]

I just might look into this..

[quote name='js1']I just might look it to this..[/QUOTE]

If you do post back here so that people can get another opinionon it.

[quote name='UndyingForce']i use the fine piece of cloth that came with my glasses

works like a charm[/QUOTE]

But But if your glasses arent being clean how do you know that you got EVERy mark?

bread's done
Back