Will GameStop give full credit for an unopened game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silencer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Here's the deal - I bought the Xbox 360 bundle (from another store) and got Project Gotham Racing 3, which I don't really have an interest for. I'm wondering if GameStop will give me FULL credit for the game which I can use to get another game (Ghost Recon). Since I bought it at another store, I do not have a receipt for GameStop.

Normally, I'd just go to Toys R Us because I know they give you TRU credit for unopened games even if you don't have a receipt, but GameStop is closer.

Thanks

They wont give you full credit and ToysRUs no longer does returns without a receipt. Besides what you would be doing is pretty unethical.

Good topic.

But since I like to leave the flaming for others (they're funnier than I am), I'll just answer the question: No.

Sorry, not sure why it's considered bad ethics? The value of the games are the same -- I just don't want this specific product. I'm not ripping anyone off.

[quote name='Silencer']Sorry, not sure why it's considered bad ethics? The value of the games are the same -- I just don't want this specific product. I'm not ripping anyone off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah exactly, go trade it in and don't worry about all the naysayers. Oh and make sure you don't take "no" for an answer from the employees at gamestop. Tell them "code 24 override" they'll know what to do then.

Short answer: no.
Long answer: Hell no.
Longer answer: no, and they'll sometimes open it up right then and there to look at it.

[quote name='Silencer']Sorry, not sure why it's considered bad ethics? The value of the games are the same -- I just don't want this specific product. I'm not ripping anyone off.[/QUOTE]
To be brief: GameStop gets new games from the distributor for less than retail. That's how they make a profit. When you return a game that you did not buy from them for $50 + tax, or whatever it will be, they are essentially paying you the retail cost to acquire a new game in their inventory. So when they sell it (assuming they sell it before it drops in price or gets marked down), they will sell it for $50 + tax or zero gain.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah exactly, go trade it in and don't worry about all the naysayers. Oh and make sure you don't take "no" for an answer from the employees at gamestop. Tell them "code 24 override" they'll know what to do then.[/QUOTE]
Shit, does everyone know about the code 24 override now?

[quote name='Silencer']Sorry, not sure why it's considered bad ethics? The value of the games are the same -- I just don't want this specific product. I'm not ripping anyone off.[/quote]

I understand where you are coming from but your intent doesn't matter. What if you bought the game for $10 at CC and brought it to GameStop for a $50 return? From GameStop's perspective it's the same thing as you described but there is definitely something unethical about that scenario. By returning it to GameStop you are implying that you bought it there (which you did not) and your deception will result in a personal gain (getting a different game that you actually want). It's kind of sort of fraudulent...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah exactly, go trade it in and don't worry about all the naysayers. Oh and make sure you don't take "no" for an answer from the employees at gamestop. Tell them "code 24 override" they'll know what to do then.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...and I'm sure they listen to anyone who comes in the store talking about overrides.

Don't be a douche and trade it to someone here who wants it, or ebay it.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Yeah...and I'm sure they listen to anyone who comes in the store talking about overrides.
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps next time I can spell out s-a-r-c-a-s-m with a nice big sign for you for next time huh?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Perhaps next time I can spell out s-a-r-c-a-s-m with a nice big sign for you for next time huh?[/QUOTE]

For me and everyone else, apparently.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']For me and everyone else, apparently.[/QUOTE]

Everyone else? You're the only one who posted a serious replyto what I said...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Everyone else? You're the only one who posted a serious replyto what I said...[/QUOTE]

No offense, but there's no reason for you to be a douchebag. I understand I'm "new" to this board (actually not, I have an older registration date than you) but that doesn't give you the right to talk down to me or as you put it "be sarcastic." There's no reason to treat anyone like shit so grow up, yes?

[quote name='Silencer']No offense, but there's no reason for you to be a douchebag. I understand I'm "new" to this board (actually not, I have an older registration date than you) but that doesn't give you the right to talk down to me or as you put it "be sarcastic." There's no reason to treat anyone like shit so grow up, yes?[/QUOTE]

Yes mommy :cry:

oh and this one's for cochese:

[S-A-R-C-A-S-M]

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yes mommy :cry:

oh and this one's for cochese:

[S-A-R-C-A-S-M][/QUOTE]

Back at cha

DDDTeeFront1.jpg

[quote name='botticus']To be brief: GameStop gets new games from the distributor for less than retail. That's how they make a profit. When you return a game that you did not buy from them for $50 + tax, or whatever it will be, they are essentially paying you the retail cost to acquire a new game in their inventory. So when they sell it (assuming they sell it before it drops in price or gets marked down), they will sell it for $50 + tax or zero gain.[/QUOTE]

While the OP shouldn't be doing this for ethical reasons, I must point out that you are incorrect in your analogy. If GameStop paid $40 for Ghost Recon, then they are out $40 to begin with, and they are hoping to sell it for $50 to make $10. If the OP takes his copy of PGR3 and exchanges it for Ghost Recon, then GameStop is still only out $40 in cash. Once they sell PGR3 for $50, then they have still made $10. This doesn't take into account that Ghose Recon is a better seller though and PGR3 may drop in price before it's sold, but that's another matter.

Got all that? So, the bottom line is it's still unethical to do it and that should be enough of a reason not to.

[quote name='fwacce']While the OP shouldn't be doing this for ethical reasons, I must point out that you are incorrect in your analogy. If GameStop paid $40 for Ghost Recon, then they are out $40 to begin with, and they are hoping to sell it for $50 to make $10. If the OP takes his copy of PGR3 and exchanges it for Ghost Recon, then GameStop is still only out $40 in cash. Once they sell PGR3 for $50, then they have still made $10. This doesn't take into account that Ghose Recon is a better seller though and PGR3 may drop in price before it's sold, but that's another matter.

Got all that? So, the bottom line is it's still unethical to do it and that should be enough of a reason not to.[/QUOTE]

While that might be correct in theory, it's not in practice. They aren't profiting $10 in reality, when you factor in costs such as labor, rent, electricity, etc. If they pay $50, even in store credit for a game that should have only cost them $40, they have only broken even. There is no guarantee that they will sell a new game in return. Someone else would probably buy a game that the OP wanted eventually anyways, so it wasn't in their best interest to give them the credit.

Neither you or I know for sure, but what happens when MSRP drops? Does GS receive the difference from the manufacturer? I would have to think not. If the OP goes and trades in that game for hardware, that's even a bigger hole in GS's wallet because there is less margin on that. If the OP uses that credit on used items, it's an even bigger loss to GS. You may think it the opposite, but the used stuff is probably going to sell regardless. Which would GS rather do? Sell it to someone for cash, or for someone with store credit on a return?

I know someone can better explain the logistics of corporate accounting (I'm out of practice), but there is much more involved than what you posted.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']While that might be correct in theory, it's not in practice. They aren't profiting $10 in reality, when you factor in costs such as labor, rent, electricity, etc. If they pay $50, even in store credit for a game that should have only cost them $40, they have only broken even. There is no guarantee that they will sell a new game in return. Someone else would probably buy a game that the OP wanted eventually anyways, so it wasn't in their best interest to give them the credit.

Neither you or I know for sure, but what happens when MSRP drops? Does GS receive the difference from the manufacturer? I would have to think not. If the OP goes and trades in that game for hardware, that's even a bigger hole in GS's wallet because there is less margin on that. If the OP uses that credit on used items, it's an even bigger loss to GS. You may think it the opposite, but the used stuff is probably going to sell regardless. Which would GS rather do? Sell it to someone for cash, or for someone with store credit on a return?

I know someone can better explain the logistics of corporate accounting (I'm out of practice), but there is much more involved than what you posted.[/QUOTE]

I'm very well versed in the world of corporate accounting, and there is more involved than what I posted.

Everything you list is true, but it would still be true with the original game the OP wants to trade for. Just because GameStop sells Ghost Recon instead of the OPs PGR3 doesn't mean that people don't get paid or the electrical bill goes unpaid that month. It's an even trade-off assuming the games are the same value with the same sell-through rate and incentives from the manufacturer. Since we don't know the facts of GameStops numbers on individual titles, we can only assume they are equal for the purpose of this discussion. However, you could argue that it takes time, effort and cost to do a return/exchange that shold be factored into the expense. That would be true and another reason why GameStop would not want to do this.

With all that being said, it's still unethical. Nothing changes that. OP why don't you just offer it for trade to someone looking for the game in exchange for Ghost Recon. That way, everyone is happy.

Walmart has a policy that they will take returns on unopened merchandise. After doing this 3 times you have to wait 6 months before doing it again. They will give you money or a wal-mart gift card for the retail amount. This is not a joke, I've returned 2 things this way already. Gamestop and other places are not good like this.

[quote name='seththefallen']Walmart has a policy that they will take returns on unopened merchandise. After doing this 3 times you have to wait 6 months before doing it again. They will give you money or a wal-mart gift card for the retail amount. This is not a joke, I've returned 2 things this way already. Gamestop and other places are not good like this.[/quote] and this is illegal and the most frowned upon action on Cag even more than hoarding. You deserve to rot for doing this.

In other news, my 2000th post! Hooray for me!:)

LOL Seththefallen. That loophole with Wal*Mart is bound to close sometime.

The loopholes with EB eventually did. And basically, all I was doing was exploiting a price difference between their OWN stores.

I'd buy a game at store A, take it to store B(about 20 miles away) and the price difference was typically $10-30.

They closed those loopholes though LONG before the GS merger. EB started only giving used credit value after a while.

I think, for a while, I had close to $150-300 in credit at EB from doing 'returns' of the same game to different stores, when their prices were different between stores.

[quote name='fwacce']I'm very well versed in the world of corporate accounting, and there is more involved than what I posted.

Everything you list is true, but it would still be true with the original game the OP wants to trade for. Just because GameStop sells Ghost Recon instead of the OPs PGR3 doesn't mean that people don't get paid or the electrical bill goes unpaid that month. It's an even trade-off assuming the games are the same value with the same sell-through rate and incentives from the manufacturer. Since we don't know the facts of GameStops numbers on individual titles, we can only assume they are equal for the purpose of this discussion. However, you could argue that it takes time, effort and cost to do a return/exchange that shold be factored into the expense. That would be true and another reason why GameStop would not want to do this.

With all that being said, it's still unethical. Nothing changes that. OP why don't you just offer it for trade to someone looking for the game in exchange for Ghost Recon. That way, everyone is happy.[/QUOTE]

I know I didn't say it the best way, but we're basically on the same page.

[quote name='fwacce']While the OP shouldn't be doing this for ethical reasons, I must point out that you are incorrect in your analogy. If GameStop paid $40 for Ghost Recon, then they are out $40 to begin with, and they are hoping to sell it for $50 to make $10. If the OP takes his copy of PGR3 and exchanges it for Ghost Recon, then GameStop is still only out $40 in cash. Once they sell PGR3 for $50, then they have still made $10. This doesn't take into account that Ghose Recon is a better seller though and PGR3 may drop in price before it's sold, but that's another matter.

Got all that? So, the bottom line is it's still unethical to do it and that should be enough of a reason not to.[/QUOTE]
Isn't that assuming that he does an even trade though? If they give him store credit (which, granted, is a zero-cash-value deal), he could put that $50 (now same as cash) in store credit anywhere.

[quote name='Silencer']I'm wondering if GameStop will give me FULL credit for the game which I can use to get another game (Ghost Recon). Since I bought it at another store, I do not have a receipt for GameStop. [/QUOTE]
I don't know about Gamestop, but I'm sure you could do this at Wal-Mart (if there's one near you). If the game is unopened, and you don't have a receipt, just say it was a gift. Obviously, you won't get cash, they'll give you in store credit (which is just as good), and I'm sure Wal-Mart will have the game you're looking for.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Perhaps next time I can spell out s-a-r-c-a-s-m with a nice big sign for you for next time huh?[/QUOTE]
Maybe you should just stop being a dick all the time. Almost every post I see you make, you're acting like a retarded ass.

Here is is an easy way to look at it

Gamestop:
Buy PG3 for Distributer for $40, sell for $50. Profit = $10
'Buy' game from you for $50, sell at $50. Profit = $0
PG3 drops to $30 new next week, they just gave you $50. Profit = -$20

Now, MAYBE if this was a hot game they would let you return it unopened, but PG3 is a launch title and every store has numerous used and new copys they can no longer sell.

[quote name='gizmogc']Here is is an easy way to look at it

Gamestop:
Buy PG3 for Distributer for $40, sell for $50. Profit = $10
'Buy' game from you for $50, sell at $50. Profit = $0
PG3 drops to $30 new next week, they just gave you $50. Profit = -$20

Now, MAYBE if this was a hot game they would let you return it unopened, but PG3 is a launch title and every store has numerous used and new copys they can no longer sell.[/quote]

In your second scenario you are forgetting that the first scenario would have occurred had they not had the extra game so they are actually losing $10 in profit. It's kind of like being a Lost Volume Seller.

Wait, is there really a code 24 override? I'd love to send an idiot friend into EB winking and trying to get stuff cheap, only to get kicked out.

take it back to target or walmart. While waiting in line I've seen people return items wrong sizes, clothing or what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back