Anyone know how to beat a speeding ticket?

zewone

CAGiversary!
Feedback
155 (99%)
I got a ticket yesterday for speeding. I really don't want to pay it ( who would?). Any advice/tips? This is my 1st ticket.

Generally (around where I live) you can get a lawyer that will "plead down" the ticket. The lawyer usually charges about twice the cost of the ticket to do that. You can get a traffic lawyer's number off a seedy ad in your phone book. The down side is it costs you more. The up side is that you might avoid a mark on your driving record (such as 'points' in some states) that increases your insurance costs. It's a toss up on what you want to do.

Show up to the court date on the ticket. You can plead guilty or not guilty. If you go not guilty, you get a trial, and in some states, if the officer doesn't show, you're off the hook. In my case I plead guilty and got the ticket down to $79 from $99 (which also lessens the charge, helping insurance a bit).

[quote name='b0bx13']Show up to the court date on the ticket. You can plead guilty or not guilty. If you go not guilty, you get a trial, and in some states, if the officer doesn't show, you're off the hook. In my case I plead guilty and got the ticket down to $79 from $99 (which also lessens the charge, helping insurance a bit).[/quote]

Good for you. The cops ALWAYS show in Kansas City, it must be a part of their job. Of course they tell you the date and time of the hearing when you are handed the ticket, so I guess they can set dates that are good for them.

I've heard things about asking when the last time the radar gun was calibrated - and if it wasn't within a certain time period, the ticket is invalidated. Have no idea if this is actually true or not, but sounds like it could be =]

Depends on where you live. Where did you get the ticket?

In some states you can do Defensive Driving - in others you can do community service and sometimes pay nothing. If you have the option to call the judge, or to call the prosecutor, they will deal with you.

Long story short, you are VERY lucky if you get out of it.

Off Topic but i got 2 god damn tickets today. I have a fucking perfect driving record until now. Both tix are fucking retarded.

One because i parked....IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE! There is this stupid fucking club down the street (why the fuck did they let them build a club in the middle of a bunch of house and schools is fucking beyond me) and since the city doesnt want the people go to that club to park on the street there is a no parking sign.

Yes i understand the law BUT USE fuckING COMMEN SENSE. When you look up the fucking plate number and the addresses matches the house the car is sitting in front off give him a fucking break. What the fuck.

The second one was coming home from school......i am already going 45...and the turning light switches to yellow..i am like 20 fucking feet away. Hmmm slame on my brakes or just go through....i go through seeing as its 11:30 at night and there really is no one around. Now i get pulled over by a cop that was literaly 7 blocks away who has to make a u turn to even get behind me. Then he fucking babbles on about how the traffic cycle is set up that when the light turns yellow its green for the other side or some shit.

God damn i am pissed.

Anyone know how much these tix are? Also the points would be nice?

Sorry to ask a question in your Topic OP i didnt see the use of having 2 tickets threads.

[quote name='Soodmeg']

One because i parked....IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE! There is this stupid fucking club down the street (why the fuck did they let them build a club in the middle of a bunch of house and schools is fucking beyond me) and since the city doesnt want the people go to that club to park on the street there is a no parking sign.
[/quote]

I got a ticket for parking in my own apartment complex lot once. All the parking spaces were filled so I parked on the drive to the parking lot (off the street) and then got ticketed. I think the owner tried to have me towed by the cops but they didn't (probably because I had no record before that). Luckily the parking tickets don't count toward insurance.

Not to sound bitchy but i loathe being poor and living in a poor city. My bitch ass city officals have set a fucking zero tolerance cleaning up the city act.

Basically that means they will put out 30 cops to patrol the same (5 square miles...because that is how small and shitty my city is) and TICKET EVERY AND ANYTHING so that the city can get more money.

That ok i am not even that mad....8 months of college left and i am fucking out of here.....and free to forget that this city even existed. They can have there fucking 200 bucks now..because in a couple years this will still be the poorest city and i will be off making a butt load of money doing what i love.

fuck Michigan.

Here's an idea, DON'T BREAK THE fuckING LAW A-HOLE!!! :D

I got out of my speeding ticket, by asking for a Supporting Deposition (The Judge actually asked me if I wanted it. I agreed to stall for more time). My next appointment was in 2 1/2 weeks. Well needless to say, I didn't receive my supporting deposition by the next court date. Case dismissed. Total dumb fucking luck if anything

For all of you who have played Phoenix Wright this might help you out:

http://www.jesbeard.com/s1.htm

I found the entire thing to be really informative and probably would hold water in court. If you feel brave enough and are confident in your public speaking then I strongly suggest trying this out :).

My dad once got pulled over for speeding...He yelled at the cop for 45mins and argued with him. Next day my dad went and complained about the ticket and that was that.

Go to court. Worst thing that happens is you have to pay the ticket. Oh and prepare your ass with some lube once your insurance company gets word if you get points.

Go to court and talk with the prosecuting attourney before you plead to anything see if you can work out a deal. I managed to plead no contest to a reckeless driving charge, paid the fine and went to traffic school and didn't get anything on my record.

And I really have no sympathy for poeple complaining about a $150 ticket, because mine was well over $400.

As someone who has been pulled over 29 times and issued 13 citations, I really suggest going on the court date and talking to the magistrate. If the officer does not show up (very unlikely because he is paid to be there) then the citation will be dismissed. If he does show, talk to the magistrate and try to get the fine reduced. Several times I talked my way in to driving school and although I had to pay the entire fine for the driving violation, the points (given or taken depending on your state) did not show up on my license. In your case, going to a driving school is a big possibility since you said you have had no other moving violations.

Also, when I ride with the Sheriff's dept., I always issue citations for moving violations if the driver's speed is more than 10% over the posted speed limit. With the exception of school zones, where you'll get a ticket for ANYTHING over the posted speed limit.

It's been years since I've handled speeding cases, but I'll give it a go. First, don't show up for multiple court dates. If you have the option of requesting a trial for your first court date, do that. If you can do it in the clerk's office versus in court, that's even better because they don't always check the cop's schedule (Here in Illinois, it's set up where each cop has set "days" for their cases to be heard).

Make sure you show up on time. If it's busy and the cop doesn't show up on time, the prosecutor may just say screw it and dump it.

If your trial actually goes, the other suggestions about calibration of radar are correct. The radar must be calibrated and in "good working order" at the time. Calibration used to consist of an internal test as well as checking it with tuning forks. Don't let the police officer even say the speed without testimony to this calibration. That means you act like a lawyer and object! The judge should know, but if pushed, your objection is foundation.

Now, if you were clocked by laser, pace, or any other method, the situation is different, but most of the speeding tickets are off radar.

If worse comes to worse, and you are found guilty, ask the judge for some type of supervision, diversion, etc. to keep the ticket off your driving record, thereby saving a hit on your insurance.

I've heard that if you overpay the ticket and throw out the refund check for however much you overpay, the points won't go on your record. That is if you care about points. I talk my way out of tickets (the two that they were gonna give me).

Not sure if its the same in the US, but in Canada if you ask to see their radar gun and they don't show it to you, or it was off, then they can't issue a ticket. Its always best to ask, at least here. I always do, its its got me out of quite a few tickets.

[quote name='Demolition Man']You know how to beat a speeding ticket..... DON'T GET ONE. Simple as that.[/QUOTE]
Thanks dude! That helps a lot. Too bad I didn't think of that!!

[quote name='Metal Boss']Pay it[/QUOTE]
The police killed my biological father. I'm not paying them shit.

[quote name='evan11221']Not sure if its the same in the US, but in Canada if you ask to see their radar gun and they don't show it to you, or it was off, then they can't issue a ticket. Its always best to ask, at least here. I always do, its its got me out of quite a few tickets.[/QUOTE]

Not here, they don't have to show you. It's really meaningless anyway. How do you know the speed he's showing is you?

[quote name='valor19']As someone who has been pulled over 29 times and issued 13 citations, [/quote]

How the fuck do you still have a license?

I have beaten my speeding ticket at least twice by using this book "Beat Your Ticket: Go to Court & Win!" by David Wayne Brown. Your local library would have it too. This book is awesome & explains your options & scenarios which would help you to fight the ticket. The cop does not expect you to come prepared he/she is dumb struck when you start using legal jargon from this book.

It is available on amazon for cheap too.

Best of luck.

The link below is to amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...f=pd_bbs_2/102-3022324-7178567?_encoding=UTF8

bread's done
Back