$9.99 For Pretty Much The Worst Handheld Game, Real Time Conflict: Shogun Empires

Actually, I love this game. It has an excellent mix of real time elements and action-strategy. A great amount of replay value can be found too, so for $10 you really cant go wrong. A must-own for any DS player.

Not.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I've actually heard some really great stuff about this game if you are a strategy fan. Or am I thinking of Age of Empires for DS?[/quote]

You're thinking of any other strategy game on the DS than this game.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I've actually heard some really great stuff about this game if you are a strategy fan. Or am I thinking of Age of Empires for DS?[/quote]

Yeah, you're probably thinking of AOE DS, it's a pretty good game. I've never played Shogun Empires, but it sounds like that's a good thing.

[quote name='the ender']You're thinking of any other strategy game on the DS than this game.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty funny. It's hard to understand how Namco could put out such a poor game. The Gamespot review is pretty brutal.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/strategy/shogunwarriorthelostarmy/review.html

And I quote..

You'd think that a real-time strategy game would be a great fit for the Nintendo DS, but stay away from this one and its busted artificial intelligence and half-baked minigames.

The Good: Good concept and the beginnings of some decent strategy gameplay.

The Bad: Broken artificial intelligence during battles; broken artificial intelligence on the strategic map; numbingly repetitive minigames; no real differences between two playable characters; various noticeable bugs.

Unfortunately, things quickly start to come apart at the seams as you play. The real-time strategy battles that are supposedly at the heart of this game are practically a joke. You've got just three types of units on the battlefield: archers, swordsmen, and spearmen, though once per battle you can also summon your warlord, who will magically show up on his horse and cut down several enemies before going away. That's all right, but the problem is you can't do anything with your units except throw them at their enemies. Even if you did have more tactical options, you wouldn't need them to overcome the game's completely brain-dead artificial intelligence. Enemy units will just kind of mosey around, sometimes rushing to certain death, other times just standing there under a rain of your archers' arrows. What's more, the battles are completely unmanageable unless you play them while zoomed out to where you can see the area around your units--but at that point, you can't even distinguish your units from each other. So you just throw your blob of guys into the enemy blob of guys, and then you win. Over and over again. For some reason, you also always seem to start out with the same exact number of soldiers, so there's no concept of having to replenish your armies or wear down the enemy or anything like that. There's really nothing strategic about this game.

[quote name='BackInBlack']I got King Kong from CC yesterday for DS, why am I fighting huge crabs?[/QUOTE]
Dunno, but make sure you flip it over and attack its weak point for MASSIVE DAMAGE!

Sorry. I had to. Sorry.

[quote name='poopy']Dunno, but make sure you flip it over and attack its weak point for MASSIVE DAMAGE!

Sorry. I had to. Sorry.[/QUOTE]
strell would be proud

and i was actually thinking about picking this up for $20 when i got my DS. Didn't even read a review, thank god for CAG's warnings

aw hell naw.

the worst handheld game ever is Shinobi for GBA.

I played the rom,

and I DARE any of you to play that!

it is..... horrendous!!!

[quote name='JEKKI']aw hell naw.

I played the rom,

it is..... horrendous!!![/QUOTE]

Sadly, I own the game. It's not good, but Elf Bowling is much, much worse.

It's a terrible, terrible game, but not the worst handheld game ever. It's not even the worst DS game. I say this based on three simple things:
1: It's an actual game (better than Ping Pals)
2: It won't reset your DS while you shoot enemy crabs (better than King Kong)
3: It's not Elf Bowling 1 & 2 (better than... um... Elf Bowling 1 & 2)

Still, the only way I would ever get this game is if someone offered it to me for free. And even then I'd still try to haggle them down to a lower price.

[quote name='Rozz']Actually, I love this game. It has an excellent mix of real time elements and action-strategy. A great amount of replay value can be found too, so for $10 you really cant go wrong. A must-own for any DS player.

Not.[/QUOTE]

Dammit...you really had me going there for a minute. This game looks cool but the reviews have been soooo bad that I passed on it for $10 several times.

[quote name='mofo1115']Thanks OP in for 1!

haha jk[/quote]

That isn't funny. Don't ever fucking joke about paying money for this game. Ever. In a world. Ever.

GB - Bart Simpson's Escape from Camp Deadly
GBC-Nsync Get To The Show
GBA-Evergirl
DS-Scooby Doo Unmasked

Seriously, Shogun's way better than all of the above

even though evergirl could have been a cool dating/fashion sim with a pda....

I played the rom,

it is..... horrendous!!![/quote]
I used to own it. I didn't think it was great, but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

I played the rom,

it is..... horrendous!!![/QUOTE]

This is actually true, I paid money for that when it came out. Still have the sweet mini poster from it too. HORRIBLE game.

bread's done
Back