Sony says PSP is "the fastest selling console ever"

GizmoGC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
84 (98%)
According to the 2006 PlayStation Business Briefing which states that 15 million PSP's have been shipped across the globe, which they claim has made it "the fastest selling console ever".

I'm sorry, but there is NO way that is correct. I'm not going to even get into the whole shipped/sold aruement, but how can a $250 portable system be the fastest selling console ever? Did they say 'console' instead of 'portable' on purpose? There is no way the PSP has outsold any GB/GBA/DS system.

But lets assume they meant to include the GB line in that....could this be possibly true?

I'm sure there is some fineprint that Sony is hiding from us.
I'm guessing they were trying to say ""the fastest selling portable console made by Sony".

The sale figures for the DS and the PSP are not even close.

[quote name='gizmogc']According to the 2006 PlayStation Business Briefing which states that 15 million PSP's have been shipped across the globe, which they claim has made it "the fastest selling console ever".
[/QUOTE]

That's according to playstation. Don't trust the maker of an item, they're mainly there to promote their own stuff.

The simplest thing to do is find specific contradictory information. What was Nintendo claiming for the GBA one year after launch, the DS one year after launch?

Note that this just means PSPs absorbed by the retail channel. A majority of that would be actual end user sales since retailers aren't going to keep ordering more stock until shoppers are threatened by collapsing pyramids of PSPs. This does not indicate what the net revenue, if any, resulting from those sales are or how much PSP software has been sold.

For a brief time the sega Dreamcst was the fastest selling console in the history of the industry. It had an almost immediate sellout in all markets in its first month respectively. But sales dropped dramatically after that. There is no question Dreamcst had a great launch. It just didn't do much after that to keep up the momentum.

Sony means its the fastest selling system for them (Sony). I do not think this is true however. I mean, the PS2 probably outsold it in a year right?

there is nothing wrong with the psp, is just there are WAY too many nintendo fanboys who cant stand sony's success, heck the OP's title is "DS 4 life"

i dont get whats so hard to be happy for both ds and psp, they are both amazing handhelds.

[quote name='omegaweapon7']there is nothing wrong with the psp, is just there are WAY too many nintendo fanboys who cant stand sony's success, heck the OP's title is "DS 4 life"

i dont get whats so hard to be happy for both ds and psp, they are both amazing handhelds.[/QUOTE]

Hi.

We're talking solely about incorrect information.

Learn to read.

[quote name='Strell']Hi.

We're talking solely about incorrect information.

Learn to read.[/QUOTE]

Give me a link to prove its wrong. I can just go and say that WWI never happened, but Ill need proof to back it up if I want people to take me seriously.

Ok, how about the fact that the DS outsells the PSP by a factor of 10 or so in Japan alone?

Couple that with the fact that the DS has a lead here in the US, as well as pretty much every other territory?

I don't even need sales figures. This would be like Sony telling us they sold the most Betamax players because only they gave a shit about them.

[quote name='Strell']Ok, how about the fact that the DS outsells the PSP by a factor of 10 or so in Japan alone?

Couple that with the fact that the DS has a lead here in the US, as well as pretty much every other territory?

I don't even need sales figures. This would be like Sony telling us they sold the most Betamax players because only they gave a shit about them.[/QUOTE]

We are not talking totals sale though, we are talking about the amount sold per how long the system has been out.

[quote name='rodeojones903']We are not talking totals sale though, we are talking about the amount sold per how long the system has been out.[/QUOTE]

Point is that if the PSP ever had a chance of being "the fastest selling console ever," it held it for maybe a day or so at the most.

Then the DSL, Brain Age, and Mario Bros. came out and it's topping 120K units in Japan alone per months. The DSL is throwing out huge sales alone in America.

By the time it hits England and other territories, it will be selling much, much faster.

Then there's the issue that all the software coming out in the fall is orgasm worthy.

Also, as others have pointed out, Sony repeatedly only says what they've "shipped." That has absolutely nothing to do with a userbase. When you ship X but only .3X gets sold, you shouldn't get to claim you sold X.

I could believe it IF the story in Japan wasn't the way it was. But the hype for the system died over there pretty quickly, and Nintendo keeps repeatedly capitalizing on the horse that got them to the show. Worldwide sales figures don't work to Sony's favor, and their system only came out 6-7 months after the DS. Maybe if it had come out last week and had the figures it has now, we could talk. But it's getting trounced in Japan and is losing to the DS everywhere else, and the DSL is only boosting sales in any territory it is released in.

This is just blatent damage control from their camp.

Shipped not sold. Sony still can't figure out the difference. Almost every store I go into now has a mountain of PSPs sitting there. This isn't even just the core package I'm still seeing plently of value packs with dust on them. Let's not forget how many PSPs we see being sold off right here on CAG almost daily. I have a PSP and I like it (just finished Syphon Filter....awesome awesome game) but Sony just loves to talk shit. It is really really getting old at this point.

Yeah, Sony always quotes shipped numbers not sold. Sony has shipped 17 million plus PSPs worldwide according to the PSP wiki. The DS and Lite have sold 18 million plus worldwide.

Just in case you're wondering, the PSP was released in Japan in 12/12/04 and the DS in 12/2/04 so this whole fastest selling unit jive may be true, but eventually the Nintendo DS overtook this lead and overshot the PSP relatively quickly. The PSP has sold faster in the United States and probably the UK (a lot of which has to do with the PSP coming out in Europe six months after the DS and a holiday season launch).

[quote name='ananag112']Sony means its the fastest selling system for them (Sony). I do not think this is true however. I mean, the PS2 probably outsold it in a year right?[/QUOTE]Actually, I think Sony means their platform. Because the release of PS2 in multiple territories had a larger gap, then the PSP, and Sony also had a lot of shortages of PS2. From what I believe, there was less than 10 million PS2 consoles shipped in a year, because I remember there being 2.5 million PS2 consoles in the U.S., in March 2001. Basically, I think Sony means it's their fastest selling platform (only because they didn't have a shortage), but it won't surpass PS1 and PS2 though.
[quote name='rodeojones903']Good for them. I'll never get all the hate the PSP gets, its an amazing handheld.[/QUOTE]I agree. I really like the PSP.
[quote name='jkam']Shipped not sold. [/QUOTE]That's the only number that hardware companies give. MS did the same with Xbox. Companies don't always know the exact number of consoles sold, that's why the shipped number is mentioned. If stores weren't selling the console, they wouldn't ask more shipments. There's no denying that I usually see the value pack PSP sitting around stores shevles, but I rarely see a core pack, meaning that one IS selling.

[quote name='Samurai T']
That's the only number that hardware companies give. MS did the same with Xbox. Companies don't always know the exact number of consoles sold, that's why the shipped number is mentioned. If stores weren't selling the console, they wouldn't ask more shipments. There's no denying that I usually see the value pack PSP sitting around stores shevles, but I rarely see a core pack, meaning that one IS selling.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't seem unreasonable in today's age of technology that they couldn't figure out the exact number of consoles sold. Every system is most likely scanned at every process from shipping, to shelved, to sold. So to me it seems like Sony and M$ want to give the impression that they've sold all these units when its not the truth. If 5 million PSP's are sitting on shelves throughout the world is it fair to count them? I don't think so.

As for the core pack I'm not sure what its like in Indiana but I see literally mountains of them in every store I walk into here in Jersey. I don't doubt that they sold quite a few upon announcing it as some people waited to get in at the lower price point but I think the steam from that has died down a bit.

I own a PSP as well as a DS and I love them both...but I don't really care for Sony's bullshit.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Good for them. I'll never get all the hate the PSP gets, its an amazing handheld.[/QUOTE]

It's the lack of good original games. I like the PSP a lot, but it'd be nice to see more original stuff on there... or at least something that can match Castlevania on the DS.

[quote name='Chacrana']It's the lack of good original games. I like the PSP a lot, but it'd be nice to see more original stuff on there... or at least something that can match Castlevania on the DS.[/QUOTE]

Castlevania DoS isn't particularly original. There is very little it does that Castlevania hasn't been doing since Symphony of the Night. I think DoS and Siphon Filter for the PSP fill very similar niches--more of the same, but refined and portable. And they're both great games.

You are right, however, and hopefully the PSP will get some more original properties.

[quote name='Chacrana']It's the lack of good original games. I like the PSP a lot, but it'd be nice to see more original stuff on there... or at least something that can match Castlevania on the DS.[/QUOTE]

But you can say the same thing for the DS. Most of the great DS games are not original. Mario Kart, Metroid Prime, NSMB, Castlevania, Advance Wars, Animal Crossing, Mario & Luigi, and the upcoming Zelda game are all "unoriginal" titles. The original games for the DS alot of the time blow ass.

Sony is definately tooting their own horns. I love the PSP, but i know that the DS/Lite kicked Sony's ass in just about every country.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Some things are unoriginal only in title. That would be like saying that Mario Galaxy is unoriginal.[/QUOTE]

True, but the ones I listed are very similar to their predecessors.

Well, all I know is that before the PSP, I had never played a Megaman game before.

Ever.

Ever.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever.

[quote name='Chacrana']It's the lack of good original games. I like the PSP a lot, but it'd be nice to see more original stuff on there... or at least something that can match Castlevania on the DS.[/QUOTE]I have Castlevania: DoS for my DS, and I don't like the game as much as half my PSP collection, and I've been a huge Castlevania fan for ages.

If you were to look at my DS collection, not one game is completely original. Most of the games are just sequels to GBA games I liked. My PSP is basically the same way (I own very few ports), although I own Tokobot and Kingdom of Paradise. For the most part, no console/handheld has completely original games on it, since it seems like most platforms are filled with sequels to games.
[quote name='jkam']I own a PSP as well as a DS and I love them both...but I don't really care for Sony's bullshit.[/QUOTE]Does Nintendo give me coupons for games, game demos, DVD cases, T-Shirt, hats, etc. Nope, but Sony does. So I don't think their bad at all. They give me good stuff for supporting their platforms, but that's another story.

[quote name='Strell']
By the time it hits England and other territories, it will be selling much, much faster.
.[/quote]

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but this comment. There was an article on gamespot last week about the uk launch of the ds lite. It went on to say how they weren't selling out, and while one of the bigger stores had a line, most of the other stores didn't even have any window space up front showcasing it.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6153095.html

Quiet UK launch for DS Lite

Nintendo's redesigned handheld went on sale in the UK today, offering gamers a choice of colors--but will it Lite up the cash registers?

By Guy Cocker, GameSpot UK Posted Jun 23, 2006 12:16 pm PT

The Nintendo DS Lite launched today in the UK to a rather muted response, with no major retailers holding midnight opening events. The console, which is available in both black and white in the UK, costs £99.99 ($179), although most retailers have been offering discounted bundles with games and accessories.
At GAME's flagship Oxford Street store in London, around 40 people lined up for the 8 a.m. opening, although most of them had already paid the £20 deposit to ensure they'd get hold of a console. Despite reports that Nintendo had suffered a theft of a shipment of DS Lites bound for the UK, GAME fulfilled all preorders, and even offered customers the chance to change colors if they so desired.
Those that did make the effort to visit the store early on were rewarded with various gifts that included posters and a Brain Training (known as Brain Age in the US) T-shirt, which, oddly enough, came in a bag that featured an image of the Game Boy Advance SP.
When GameSpot staffers spoke to customers that were buying a DS Lite, most said they had opted for bundles that offered the console and two games for £130, with almost an even split of those opting for the white and black colors. However, the most popular games of the day were Tetris DS and Metroid Prime: Hunters, both of which sold out within half an hour.
Other Oxford Street stores were making much less fuss over the launch. A tiny poster in the window of Currys Digital advertised the new console, while Virgin Megastore's window was too occupied with a big sale to devote any space to the DS Lite. Many customers who opted to buy online from GAME have reported consoles arriving a day early, while both Play.com and Amazon.co.uk had the console in stock as of press time.
We spoke to Mike Barnes, manager of GAME's Oxford Street store, to hear his take on the launch.
GameSpot UK: With the massive success of the DS Lite in Japan and the US, what were your expectations for the console in the UK?
Mike Barnes: We had great expectations for this particular console, especially considering that the previous console was so successful on launch and through its life span. We'll still be selling the previous version for the foreseeable future, but we expect that this will then dwindle off and that Nintendo will move over to producing just the DS Lite.
GSUK: How many people were at the front of the store when it opened this morning?
MB: Probably about 40 people, and the first 10 received an Atari Classics Game Boy Advance game. We have done midnight openings in the past, most recently with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation Portable, but the demographic of the DS is very much focused on kids, especially with games such as Nintendogs, Over the Hedge, and [Super] Princess Peach. We felt it was inappropriate for kids to come in and stand outside the store, especially in London. We made the decision to open early on the day of launch instead.
GSUK: Nintendo suffered a theft of thousands of DS Lite consoles bound for Europe, but the company promised this wouldn't disrupt the launch. Has GAME received its expected allocation?
MB: All preorders have been fulfilled and there is also free sales stock in selected stores. Anyone who comes into the Oxford Street store is likely to be able to buy a console off the shelf today, but in other stores there might not be quite so much free stock. Most of the people here today have paid a £20 deposit to order the console, which guarantees them a machine for 48 hours from the launch today. We've also got a really good incentive program, where you can trade in your old console and get the DS Lite for £59.99, which is £40 off the RRP.
GSUK: The console has been out since March in Japan. With the simultaneous worldwide release of the Xbox 360 and the PS3, do you think that this will be the last time the UK will see such a wait for a console?
MB: Absolutely, I think it will be the last time. The UK and European market has become much more important to the games industry, and going forward we expect simultaneous launches to become standard, and they certainly are for the consoles coming out later in the year.
GSUK: What sort of split has there been between the white and black DS Lite models, bearing in mind that the black version is exclusive to Europe?
MB: So far it's about 50/50. We received more models of the white unit than we did the black one, but actually in terms of preorders and people buying today, many people have changed their minds at the checkout today and it's worked out at about an even split.
GSUK: With the sleek redesign of the console and the "Touch Generations" line of games, Nintendo is quite clearly aiming for a mainstream market. Has this theory panned out at retail?
MB: It's too early to tell, but early indications are that this is how this is going to work. As I said, the DS is traditionally seen as a kids' console. At this time of year, it sells to kids who are going away on holiday and need something to play in the car, but as you can see in the store today, the majority of people in the queue look a little bit older. Therefore, with the new look and the games that are specifically designed for an older market like Brain Training, hopefully they will appeal to an older market.

[quote name='rodeojones903']The original games for the DS alot of the time blow ass.[/quote]

What games have you played for the DS, do you own one?

And I'd like to add:

Some kid told me PSP is the best system ever. When I asked why he told me that he can watch movies where ever. I told him UMD's suck and he told me that he just downloads his movies. Does that make a good system? I don't think so...oh and downloading games from other systems and having an emulator for you PSP doesn't make it good either.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']What games have you played for the DS, do you own one?

[/QUOTE]

If you took the time to look at my collection before asking that you would have your answer. Im a big DS fan, but I just think that some of you have such a huge bias that you ignore how great of a system the PSP is.

Here are a few of the horrible DS like original titles not based off a movie/license.
Asphault: Urban GT
Dino Master
Dragon Booster
Elf Bowling 1 & 2
Monster Trucks DS
Ping Pals
Tao's Adventure
Whac-A-Mole

That list would be much larger if it were bad games based on movies/tv shows/other licensed properies.

I have both and am a fan of both Sony and Nintendo. Here is what I usually post when a topic like this comes up.

Bought both of these handhelds at launch. I have played probably 15 hours on my PSP total since I bought it a year+ ago. DS is really fun. I play it a lot more then I do my PSP. Personally, I really don't care about the graphics the PSP sports. Sure the PSP is nice looking but when I'm playing a game most of the fast moving objects have a ghosting image on them. ( Is it just me that notice's this? )

Also the analog stick. IMO they should have done it right by putting 2 Analog Sticks on the system. Personally I would rather have none then just 1 that teases you.

Hopefully MGS:pO will sway me over to liking the PSP more. Welll all this talk about the PSP I might go pick mine up and play it again. :)

[quote name='rodeojones903']
Here are a few of the horrible DS like original titles not based off a movie/license.
Dino Master
Dragon Booster
Elf Bowling 1 & 2
Monster Trucks DS
Ping Pals
Tao's Adventure
Whac-A-Mole
[/quote]

That wasn't meant to be an attack but yes all those games suck ass. You'll get that with any system you purchase unfortunatly. I like my PSP a lot, even though all I have interest to play is Mega Man Powered Up. Waiting on some Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins.

[quote name='rodeojones903']But you can say the same thing for the DS. Most of the great DS games are not original. Mario Kart, Metroid Prime, NSMB, Castlevania, Advance Wars, Animal Crossing, Mario & Luigi, and the upcoming Zelda game are all "unoriginal" titles. The original games for the DS alot of the time blow ass.[/QUOTE]

I think the guy meant that... while the PSP usually gets ports of PS2-ish games, the DS actually gets newer stuff. Sure DoS isn't an original concept but it is an original title. But what do we get on the PSP? 90% of the stuff is basically feels like ports with a new level or two.

Hey, I love my DS way more than my PSP. I'll admit it. But that's on the games alone because we all (should) know that each machine has its own strenghts and weaknesses. And thus far, developers have been half assing nearly everything on the PSP because we're at a point in gaming where quality comes after development cost.

And I don't think that it's too hard to believe that this is just some kind of marketing spin by Sony. Nintendo rarely uses 'shipped' numbers, they usually talk about units 'sold'. If you need proof, look in the July Game Informer issue, page 17, the first new paragraph... you'll see that GI wrote that George Harrison actually talked about actual sales numbers, not shipped numbers.

As Strell already said, it just doesn't seem possible for the PSP to be the best 'selling' console ever with 15 million units 'shipped'.

[quote name='rodeojones903']If you took the time to look at my collection before asking that you would have your answer. Im a big DS fan, but I just think that some of you have such a huge bias that you ignore how great of a system the PSP is.

Dino Master
Dragon Booster
Elf Bowling 1 & 2
Monster Trucks DS
Ping Pals
Tao's Adventure
Whac-A-Mole

That list would be much larger if it were bad games based on movies/tv shows/other licensed properies.[/QUOTE]

Trauma Center, Meteos, Phoenix Wright, Ouendan, Brain Age, Nintendogs, and Big Brain Academy

(all completely original titles and games, you strawman arguement using fuck) more than make up for those shitty games.

I guess you just loved pursuit force. and Coded Arms, that was an instant classic..

The bottom line is the PSP gets more dumbed down straight up ports from the PS2. You can't combat that by saying that the DS gets new entries in popular nintendo franchises which either use the DS features to enhance a classic formula (Advance Wars, Kirby) or add online (Mario Kart, Tetris) or are a completely new game (Mario Bros.)

Add to that now the DS Lite has as good (or better) of a screen than the PSP, the Wi-Fi connection is taking off, with fewer, but better games than the PSP, and the only real advantage the PSP has is being a really expensive MP3/Video player. I really don't see why the PSP should exist as a gaming-centric device. If sony had just focused on the multimedia aspects, the PSP would be a better, more specialized device, not to mention being cheaper.

[quote name='jkam']It wouldn't seem unreasonable in today's age of technology that they couldn't figure out the exact number of consoles sold. Every system is most likely scanned at every process from shipping, to shelved, to sold. So to me it seems like Sony and M$ want to give the impression that they've sold all these units when its not the truth. If 5 million PSP's are sitting on shelves throughout the world is it fair to count them? I don't think so.

As for the core pack I'm not sure what its like in Indiana but I see literally mountains of them in every store I walk into here in Jersey. I don't doubt that they sold quite a few upon announcing it as some people waited to get in at the lower price point but I think the steam from that has died down a bit.

I own a PSP as well as a DS and I love them both...but I don't really care for Sony's bullshit.[/quote]

Look I can understand you guys saying their claim is BS I have a hard time buying it myself and I love my PSP. But saying they should be able to track the numbers of the amount of units sold after they hit the stores is also BS. No corperation builds an infrastructure to track that kind of crap because A its costly and B dosen't do anything for them.

Why the heck would the company that sold the unit to a retailer care if it sat on the shelf and collected dust for 30 yrs they already made their profit no more tracking needs to be done. The only tracking they need to do is how many units are being sold from their company so they can keep manufacturing enough to make demand.

Other tracking they might do would be the cost of the individual components that make up the system to find out if there are any that can be manufactured cheaper or purchased from a third party at a reduced cost. Anyway thats just my two centss in the matter make of it what you will.

[quote name='PhoenixT']Look I can understand you guys saying their claim is BS I have a hard time buying it myself and I love my PSP. But saying they should be able to track the numbers of the amount of units sold after they hit the stores is also BS. No corperation builds an infrastructure to track that kind of crap because A its costly and B dosen't do anything for them. [/QUOTE]

Actually, you're wrong. Japan has a company that keeps track of all videogame sales for every retailer. The US has NPD or whatever which tracks 60% of retailers. And yes, I do mean actual sales... the companies record sales data from each chain and sums it up.

[quote name='Vinny']

As Strell already said, it just doesn't seem possible for the PSP to be the best 'selling' console ever with 15 million units 'shipped'.[/QUOTE]

Again, they are not claiming that. They are claiming the fastest.

[quote name='jer7583']Trauma Center, Meteos, Phoenix Wright, Ouendan, Brain Age, Nintendogs, and Big Brain Academy

(all completely original titles and games, you strawman arguement using fuck) more than make up for those shitty games.

[/QUOTE]

No shit?!? Well seeing that I own everyone of those titles I would have never guessed. The arguement was to say that people are ripping on the PSP, for an issue that the DS has itself.

[quote name='Vinny']Actually, you're wrong. Japan has a company that keeps track of all videogame sales for every retailer. The US has NPD or whatever which tracks 60% of retailers. And yes, I do mean actual sales... the companies record sales data from each chain and sums it up.[/quote]

Thats interesting when I worked for maytag to my knowledge they had no way to track units sold at all except to the retail chain once it was their their tracking stoped period they had no structure for tracking any of it at that point. Yes I realize the products are different but the concept is the same. Manufacturers tend to not care what happens to the unit once its sold out of their inventory unless it conserns a defective unit under their own manufacturers warranty. If they all track actual sales thats fantastic kudos to them someone find them if thier published and post them to end the discussion once and for all. I'm with the majority of you though that I have a hard time believing the PSP is the fastest selling system out there at the moment. Second yeah I could see but not the first.

I may be wrong, but doesn't sony sell the consoles to the stores. So if you take the literal sense of there way of calculating units sold, it is correct.

[quote name='Vinny']I think the guy meant that... while the PSP usually gets ports of PS2-ish games, the DS actually gets newer stuff. Sure DoS isn't an original concept but it is an original title. But what do we get on the PSP? 90% of the stuff is basically feels like ports with a new level or two.
[/QUOTE]

I will gladly take ports when developers are porting / upgrading incredibly hard to find and expensive games, like Tales of Destiny 2 (Eternia) and Valkyrie Profile, so this way I don't need to pay $80 - $120 dollars on an old ass game. I just pray Suikoden 1 + 2 comes out in English somewhere. Not to mention the compliations like Gradius Collection, those are awesome as well. Ports aren't that bad as long as developers are porting good games, and I can only really think of two or three straight up ports that added nothing over a previous version, because Sony dosen't like straight ports.

And the PSP's entire Spring library was almost port free... Mega Man Powered Up (huge remake), Daxter, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, Untold Legends 2, Me and My Katamari, Pursuit Force, Metal Gear Acid 2, and some others I can't really think of atm. Shit, I'll even throw Megaman Maverick Hunter X in there because it added a TON of stuff over the SNES version.

If you move to Summer, you have Legend of Heroes 2, Monster Hunter Freedom, Blade Dancer, and some other games.

I own alot of DS games, and honestly, 99% of the DS's games are way too easy , have no replayability (Super Princess Peach at least has tons of replayability), or are just way too short. At least with the PSP, the games last me longer then a day and I come back to them occasionally. There is some stuff on the DS I really like, but I play the PSP alot more, since it has more to offer me. I will admit I enjoy Big Brain Academy a ton, but I think Brain Age and Nintendogs wear thin very fast, and while they are innovative, they aren't very much fun imo.

Does nobody seem to remember the GBA was a fucking port machine? Where was everyone back then ragging on Nintendo?

....there has to be some sort of sentence or picture that goes along with "the fastest selling console ever".

It just doesnt make ANY sense on its own, unless you had two registers and had a race between a guy buying a PSP and another one buying a DS.

[quote name='Samurai T']Does Nintendo give me coupons for games, game demos, DVD cases, T-Shirt, hats, etc. Nope, but Sony does. So I don't think their bad at all. They give me good stuff for supporting their platforms, but that's another story.[/QUOTE]

So as long as Sony gives you things your willing to listen to their constant bullshit? Nintendo has given us a few nice freebies...maybe not as many but the Zelda Collector's Edition is pretty top notch in my book. I'm still not sure what that has to do with Sony talking crap.

I like Sony when it comes to their games but they run at the mouth way too much. I own a PS2 and a PSP but they just act like little kids when it comes to promoting their systems. I'm even not bashing Sony per say just their promotion tactics.

As for the PSP vs. DS debate....They are both great systems. I would have said that the DS was the clear winner but Syphon Filter pretty much gave me hope for the PSP. The load times are short. The graphics are great. The controls work perfectly for the game. The major problem with the PSP is games like Tomb Raider Legend that while good fall a bit flat because of the control setup. They were made for the PS2. If more companies would make games suited for the controls it would work out. Sony's showing us that it can be done but the 3rd parties need to follow suit.

As for the unoriginal DS games comment...do yourself a favor go play pac n roll and pac-pix. Then tell me where else you can get an expierence like that. Play Wario Ware. Play Feel the Magic, Kirbys Canvas Curse, or Trauma Center. Yes the Ds has Mario Kart and other games that were already done but that's what makes it even better. You get normal games as well as some totally new refreshing content. Best of both worlds.

[quote name='Roufuss']I will gladly take ports when developers are porting / upgrading incredibly hard to find and expensive games, like Tales of Destiny 2 (Eternia) and Valkyrie Profile, so this way I don't need to pay $80 - $120 dollars on an old ass game. I just pray Suikoden 1 + 2 comes out in English somewhere. Not to mention the compliations like Gradius Collection, those are awesome as well. Ports aren't that bad as long as developers are porting good games, and I can only really think of two or three straight up ports that added nothing over a previous version, because Sony dosen't like straight ports.

And the PSP's entire Spring library was almost port free... Mega Man Powered Up (huge remake), Daxter, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, Untold Legends 2, Me and My Katamari, Pursuit Force, Metal Gear Acid 2, and some others I can't really think of atm. Shit, I'll even throw Megaman Maverick Hunter X in there because it added a TON of stuff over the SNES version.

If you move to Summer, you have Legend of Heroes 2, Monster Hunter Freedom, Blade Dancer, and some other games.

I own alot of DS games, and honestly, 99% of the DS's games are way too easy , have no replayability (Super Princess Peach at least has tons of replayability), or are just way too short. At least with the PSP, the games last me longer then a day and I come back to them occasionally. There is some stuff on the DS I really like, but I play the PSP alot more, since it has more to offer me. I will admit I enjoy Big Brain Academy a ton, but I think Brain Age and Nintendogs wear thin very fast, and while they are innovative, they aren't very much fun imo.

Does nobody seem to remember the GBA was a fucking port machine? Where was everyone back then ragging on Nintendo?[/QUOTE]

I agree with pretty much all of what you said... except with the part about PSP games being longer. They're not longer, it's just that you spend half the time waiting for the game to load.:lol:

All jokes aside, I think it's different to port a game from a previous generation (like SNES to GBA) compared to porting a current gen game to a current gen portable (like PS2 to PSP). I'm not saying that porting is a huge issue with the PSP but a good majority of the games on the PSP can be experience on the PS2. See, I have no problems with them bringing over Tales of Eternia or Suikoden I/II on the PSP as long as they do a good job (and they let me know beforehand so I can ebay my original copies which I paid way more then I should've had to). But when we get crap like Def Jam and Burnout Legends, I can't say I'm all too happy.

As for the length/ease, I agree that most DS games are too short and/or too easy. But for a portable game, I don't think I wanna be stuck playing the same game for long too... I only play portable games on short bursts and both systems have proven great for that (mostly thanks to the sleep mode). But DS games also cost less so I don't exactly expect a colossal experience. As long as the game is good and lasts what I feel is enough, it works for me.

[quote name='Vinny']I agree with pretty much all of what you said... except with the part about PSP games being longer. They're not longer, it's just that you spend half the time waiting for the game to load.:lol:

All jokes aside, I think it's different to port a game from a previous generation (like SNES to GBA) compared to porting a current gen game to a current gen portable (like PS2 to PSP). I'm not saying that porting is a huge issue with the PSP but a good majority of the games on the PSP can be experience on the PS2. See, I have no problems with them bringing over Tales of Eternia or Suikoden I/II on the PSP as long as they do a good job (and they let me know beforehand so I can ebay my original copies which I paid way more then I should've had to). But when we get crap like Def Jam and Burnout Legends, I can't say I'm all too happy.

As for the length/ease, I agree that most DS games are too short and/or too easy. But for a portable game, I don't think I wanna be stuck playing the same game for long too... I only play portable games on short bursts. And DS games also cost less so I don't exactly expect a 10+ hour experience.[/QUOTE]

Well, DS games only cost a little less... most Nintendo 1st party games average for $34.99, most PSP games go for $39.99. The days of a $49.99 PSP game are over, I believe, I think that little project failed miserable. And using CAG none of us should pay more then $30 for any handheld game anyways ;)

Burnout Legends is actually REALLY good on PSP... it's the DS one that completely sucks :D Alot of developers have really nailed down load times, as well, I don't think I've experienced a game recently that had insane loading times.

[quote name='PhoenixT']Look I can understand you guys saying their claim is BS I have a hard time buying it myself and I love my PSP. But saying they should be able to track the numbers of the amount of units sold after they hit the stores is also BS. No corperation builds an infrastructure to track that kind of crap because A its costly and B dosen't do anything for them.

Why the heck would the company that sold the unit to a retailer care if it sat on the shelf and collected dust for 30 yrs they already made their profit no more tracking needs to be done. The only tracking they need to do is how many units are being sold from their company so they can keep manufacturing enough to make demand.

Other tracking they might do would be the cost of the individual components that make up the system to find out if there are any that can be manufactured cheaper or purchased from a third party at a reduced cost. Anyway thats just my two centss in the matter make of it what you will.[/QUOTE]

Not true. Nintendo has a network for retailers to report their sales. It is integrated into the POS system at many of the biggest retailers. The whole thing is fully automated.

Look at the box for any Nintendo console or handheld. Notice the hole that allows the machine's serial number to be read or bar code scanned? That gets scanned at time or sale (or return) and produces reports that go to Nintendo. In addition to tracking retail sales it also plays a role in assisting law enforcement. Police departments can send serial numbers to Nintendo for verification that the unit was never reported as a legit sale, or if the unit was registered to an end user, help in a prosecution against a thief.

You'll find the same serial number access hole on Sony and Microsoft boxes but Nintendo was first. They established this back in the SNES days. I can remember the section of their CES and later E3 booths where they would tout the advanatages of their retailer support.

Since big retail chains account for nearly all sales of console hardware it is in fact easy to track sellthrough with reasonable accuracy. It is far more accurate to track units shipped and/or sold to retail channels, and as a matter of policy Sony prefers to quote those numbers.

A company most certainly does care if their product is languishing on retail shelves. If the retailer cannot move the product he isn't going to order more units. Besides, the bread and butter of this business is software sales. If you have ten million units shipped but only 3 million units in end users' homes, the numbers you can expect to move on a game are far, far less than the number of machines you've manufactured and shipped out.

A company most certainly does care if their product is languishing on retail shelves. If the retailer cannot move the product he isn't going to order more units. Besides, the bread and butter of this business is software sales. If you have ten million units shipped but only 3 million units in end users' homes, the numbers you can expect to move on a game are far, far less than the number of machines you've manufactured and shipped out.

This can be tracked by repurchases from various companies. If you sell a larget batch of inital units and there are no reorders you can tell from that trend that your units are not moving off the shelves fast enough so demand is low for you particular item. You don't need to know how many each retailer is selling to find out this data you can get it from the purchase orders they place with you. That being said the information you guys are saying they are gathering is nice to know I suppose if nothing else for a PR standpoint. As I already admited before this post that if they track this great! The last manufacturing company "I" worked for Maytag didn't it wasnt pertinent information and they had no system in place to track a product past its point of sale which for them was the retailer.

The cos. should have hard data for the game systems because almost all retail stores scan the serial numbers. They just don't want to share...

Dane.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']....there has to be some sort of sentence or picture that goes along with "the fastest selling console ever".

It just doesnt make ANY sense on its own, unless you had two registers and had a race between a guy buying a PSP and another one buying a DS.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That this thread has evolved into another "PSP has the best games! No, it sucks!" thread is a testament to how much smoke Sony is blowing up everybody's asses.

It has nothing to do with whether fucking Syphon Filter is a better game than Pac Pix or whatever the fuck else. Considering the DS has been available for only a week longer than the PSP and has sold at least a million more units -- these are facts, people, not "equally valid opinions that everybody is entitled to" -- for Sony to state something like this is obvious selective use of numbers. They're neglecting to mention that it's over a very specific period of time, or in a particular region, or whatever.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']What games have you played for the DS, do you own one?

And I'd like to add:

Some kid told me PSP is the best system ever. When I asked why he told me that he can watch movies where ever. I told him UMD's suck and he told me that he just downloads his movies. Does that make a good system? I don't think so...oh and downloading games from other systems and having an emulator for you PSP doesn't make it good either.[/quote]

Hell yes it does.

bread's done
Back