Digital Devil Saga - great game

62t

CAGiversary!
Feedback
76 (100%)
Right now I am about 70% done with the main game and this is becoming one of my favorite PS2 RPG. The graphics looks nice and the FMV are pretty neat. The soundtrack also fits the game really well. Too bad the soundtrack doesnt have Danger, the best song in the game. The setting is also different from most RPG. Instead of saving the world you are trying the save yourself.

The charaters are intersting and they all have great voice actors. My only complain is that the main character doesnt talk. While some games like Chrono Trigger is able to pull it off, in this game it just isnt too effective.

The battle system is like most turn base rpg. The intersting thing is that elements play a key role. If you hit someone with the element he is weak against, you gained an extra turn. However if you got hit by an element you are weak against your emeny will gain an extra turn. As for gaining new skills, the Mantra system is similar to FFX's sphere. The different is that you must spend money before you can buy the skills. After buying the skills you have to get enough ability points before learning the skills. The challenge is that you are unlikey to have enough money for all the skills, so you have to chose carefully. The good thing is that you can get a new game plus which allows you to start over with all the skills that you learned.

The difficulty is also a bit on the hard side. I find myself running away from fights more than a few times, and the boss battles are hard if you dont know what you are doing. You are alwasy low on money so you have to be careful on how you spend it. If you are up to the challenge you can fight some of the optional boss, one is even considered to be the hardest boss in RPG history.

My only complain is that the random encounter is a bit high, but the good thing there is no encounter during puzzle rooms.

[quote name='62t']
The difficulty is also a bit on the hard side. I find myself running away from fights more than a few times, and the boss battles are hard if you dont know what you are doing. You are alwasy low on money so you have to be careful on how you spend it. If you are up to the challenge you can fight some of the optional boss, one is even considered to be the hardest boss in RPG history.
.[/QUOTE]

Gotta disagree with you about the money thing... as long as you fight the battles and win them quickly, money is pretty easy to get. I know I never struggled for money throughout the game like some people did, and I had my main three characters mantra grids almost maxed.

Check out the Manipura Waterways for some quick money, you're almost to the point where you can get there.

Some of the boss battles are pretty hard though... some of the optional boss battles are even harder.

It is an awesome game though... at 70%, you still have some of the best parts left to experience, espically the ending. Can't wait for part 2.

Nocturne on the Revolution,... what????

Anyways,... haven't opened my DDS yet. As a matter of fact,... after finding out I botched Nocturne, I stopped playing about 70% through.
I think I'll start Nocturne over again this weekend.

I hope that ZION is right.
This is the most refreshing series in a long time.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']you shouldve known ahead of time it was going to be similar to Nocturne[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize it was going to be EXACTLY like Nocturne, it's like they added 2 new features splashed on a new coat of paint and called it a new game.

[quote name='Roufuss']Gotta disagree with you about the money thing... as long as you fight the battles and win them quickly, money is pretty easy to get. I know I never struggled for money throughout the game like some people did, and I had my main three characters mantra grids almost maxed.

Check out the Manipura Waterways for some quick money, you're almost to the point where you can get there.

Some of the boss battles are pretty hard though... some of the optional boss battles are even harder.

It is an awesome game though... at 70%, you still have some of the best parts left to experience, espically the ending. Can't wait for part 2.[/QUOTE]

DDS can be easy if you go to gamefaq or look at cheats were to level up the best. It's a pretty difficult RPG compered to others.

I bought this and Stella Deus just in case they decide to become rare.

Really looking forward to playing DDS and the sequel, but I'm going to hold off on attempting that for a month. Why? So there will be a nice stock of experienced players out there that can give me pointers!

I am glad to hear that you are rather enjoying it though.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']DDS can be easy if you go to gamefaq or look at cheats were to level up the best. It's a pretty difficult RPG compered to others.[/QUOTE]

Nope, I just used trial and error to figure out the weak spots. I think I went to GameFAQ's once to find out a combo move, and that was it.

Even before Manipura Waterways, I was leveling and getting money from Svadhistara (spelling is off) before fighting an optional boss.

If you take the time to explore and re-explore everything, you don't really need GameFAQ's at all. It was difficult to an extent, but the only extremely hard part I found were the optional bosses... they are some pains in the asses.

I also hated Nocturne, but loved this game... not sure why.

ea-boxshot.jpg

ea-closeup.jpg

Search on eBay or Half.com for it. The whole CD is great.

Agreed, I'm really enjoying DDS. It's more 'userfriendly' and 'entrylevel' than Nocturne. I played the heck out of Nocturne for about 60 hours, then shifted to something else. But I've been playing DDS pretty much nonstop. I like having a small group of characters I can focus on, and later on there are mantra that help the non-active members not be penalized for not being used.
While you sometimes will run out of money, it seems like the monetary balance is very good. The enemies drop enough money, depending on where you are in the game, to keep you going. You still have to save up a little for some higher level mantra, but that's as it should be.
I don't know if I'd call it 'hard', but it's definitely 'challenging'--like Nocturne, you have to be aware of whom you're fighting, and know the enemies and your own party's strengths and weaknesses. The strengths/weaknesses, along with the PRess Turn system, are done quite well, and unlike many other RPGs, are pretty much essential to get a handle on. If not essential, it can make the game drastically easier or harder if you do or don't know the weaknesses.
I have only gone to Gamefaqs to ask a couple questions or look up details about certain mantra/skills [as in, what does it do] before I bought it. The game itself is pretty simple, and can be quite linear, so you're never really at a loss to know 'where do I go from here.' I personally like that, I don't really like the entirely 'wideopen' games.
I'm really enjoying DDS, and looking forward to DDS2.

I love this game. It's right on the top of my most favorite RPGs.

And i'm appalled by zionoverfire's selling of the game. It does rather feel like Nocturne I agree, but the premise, storyline and attitude are completely different. The customization features have changed too, completely redefining the battles and strategy against enemies.

[quote name='Satoshi-kun']
And i'm appalled by zionoverfire's selling of the game. It does rather feel like Nocturne I agree, but the premise, storyline and attitude are completely different. The customization features have changed too, completely redefining the battles and strategy against enemies.[/QUOTE]

So basically it's Nocturne V.2.0 yes? I expected more and it did not deliver so it's gone.

[quote name='zionoverfire']So basically it's Nocturne V.2.0 yes? I expected more and it did not deliver so it's gone.[/QUOTE]

It depends on what you didn't or did like about Nocturne.

I loved the battle system (short battles that take strategy = awesome) and art style but hated the characters and story of Nocturne.

DDS one ups this by providing a good cast and a decent story, imo, and I very much liked the mantra grid system of leveling up. DDS just feels more polished I think.

It's not a long game... 20 hours tops for the main story mode, can probably go through it in a weekend if you power through it. The game gets really good about 1/2 way there when you get to the Coordinate 136.

[quote name='Satoshi-kun']Then i'll have to assume you're not a fan of either games.[/QUOTE]

Nocturne was difficult be enjoyable, DD felt repetitious. I had assumed they would do more than upgrade the graphics and change the mantra system, clearly I was wrong.

Well, there's actual character development for one, voiceovers, a progressive Hinduism-ish storyline with philosophical intrigue, etc.

But I guess the above didn't appeal to you. Oh well.

[quote name='Satoshi-kun']Well, there's actual character development for one, voiceovers, a progressive Hinduism-ish storyline with philosophical intrigue, etc.

But I guess the above didn't appeal to you. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

A nice new coat of paint on the old picket fence doesn't change much beyond the surface.

I highly disagree, Zion-- I think they share cosmetic similarities but other than that-- they are completely different. For one thing, the story lines-- while both deal with post-apocalyptic stuff and demons, are completely different.
more importantly though I'm 60 hours into SMT:N and about to get the true demon ending and only 10 hours into DDS, but I can already see the gameplay taking a bit of a backseat to the story in it. That's only because Nocturne is so detail-oriented that I was constantly monitoring each characters stats and progress, but I'm on auto-pilot in that sense with DDS. I feel like I'll just cruise through it.

But they do have the same style and have the same enemies which is kinda lame, but luckily I loved the enemies in Nocturne.

just my humble opinion, and honestly, I could see why someone would hate both of these games. it definitely sucks to be neck-deep in a dungeon having gathered all the treasure, killed the boss, gained some levels, and have some crap enemy kill the main character with a death spell while you are on your way out.

[quote name='Apossum']I highly disagree, Zion-- I think they share cosmetic similarities but other than that-- they are completely different. For one thing, the story lines-- while both deal with post-apocalyptic stuff and demons, are completely different

But they do have the same style and have the same enemies which is kinda lame, but luckily I loved the enemies in Nocturne.
[/QUOTE]

Look the stories might be slightly different but as you said the background is nearly the same and most of the monsters identical if anything new mosters feel like slightly modified versions of older ones not something they put actual effor into, this makes the game incredibly boring. To top it off the combat system only has a few minor changes to it.

I expected more from Atlus so DD got tossed on ebay and I for one don't miss it in the slightest.

Look the stories might be slightly different but as you said the background is nearly the same and most of the monsters identical if anything new mosters feel like slightly modified versions of older ones not something they put actual effor into, this makes the game incredibly boring. To top it off the combat system only has a few minor changes to it.

OK, gotcha, read ya loud and clear, roger, over and out ;-)

[quote name='kaji7p56']You tell 'em Zion! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yes and tell them I will!

Now you should all go off and play growlanser or Ys, those are quality RPGs.:D

I played Growlanser 2. But Growlanser III had nearly identical monsters, just slightly modified, much of the same feel, and only a few minor changes to the combat system.

Kidding--to an extent. I haven't gotten into GIII, I've been playing Nocturne [55 hours] and DDS [29 hours] and enjoyed them both. I also played Final Fantasy X and X-2, and liked X-2 better, so I guess I'm also a Squeenix fanboy who doesn't know good RPGs. Of course, I've also played Persona, Shining Force, Parasite Eve, Wild Arms, etc., I even wasted a couple hours on Guardian's Crusade and Eternal Eyes. Now that the rollcall/RPG cred is established, the final issue is that I know what I like to play, I know what I find fun/enjoyable, and that's what counts, not the validation of some anonymous message boarder.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Yes and tell them I will!

Now you should all go off and play growlanser or Ys, those are quality RPGs.:D[/QUOTE]

Alright, now you've gone too far!!! *Shakes fist at Zion*
:D

Now that the rollcall/RPG cred is established, the final issue is that I know what I like to play, I know what I find fun/enjoyable, and that's what counts, not the validation of some anonymous message boarder.

yes, but imagine a message board without arguing...ha! it's a trap-- message boards can't exist without arguing!

Okay, gonna go finish the last few hours of Nocturne before my life gets hijacked by summer school and that other gender of the human race

[quote name='Apossum']Alright, now you've gone too far!!! *Shakes fist at Zion*
:D
[/QUOTE]

I don't know about Wee's, but Growlanser was really good.

[quote name='zionoverfire']What? It's the truth.[/QUOTE]

how can you tell me DDS is the same old shit and then recommend those, which follow the same RPG and SRPG formulas I've been playing since god knows when? :lol:

your opinion is wrong. ;-) jk

[quote name='Apossum']how can you tell me DDS is the same old shit and then recommend those, which follow the same RPG and SRPG formulas I've been playing since god knows when? :lol:

your opinion is wrong. ;-) jk[/QUOTE]

DDS = Nocturne with a new coat of paint, which really is just Final Fantasy 7 with a an updated engine.

Ys involves smacking the crap out of things and GG has an interesting semi-real time engine.

I'm 40 hours in Nocturne and GOD it's hard going back to play knowing that I need to level for another two hours and go through the third kapla...I hope the ending is worth it. I really do miss...you know...a story. But the monster stuff is cool - i'm just waiting to use the magatama to strengthen my chars. once they are level 99 (I know i'll hit it by the end in order to survive the final boss).

At any rate - can't wait to get my hands on DDS (got it on my shelf).

[quote name='zionoverfire']DDS = Nocturne with a new coat of paint, which really is just Final Fantasy 7 with a an updated engine.

Ys involves smacking the crap out of things and GG has an interesting semi-real time engine.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU! I almost forgot I had the GG Deluxe, been sealed since the day it came out I guess Its time to try that baby out tonight

I just hope DDS 2 is way better than the first. I haven't played any great mind blowing inducing rpg game since the psone era ended. I thought it was a pretty good game but it has it flawed. Same enemies as nocturne and the human form was pointless and so was the ammo thing.

Hmm...Xenogears now that was a great game..

[quote name='blueweltall']I just hope DDS 2 is way better than the first. I haven't played any great mind blowing inducing rpg game since the psone era ended. I thought it was a pretty good game but it has it flawed. Same enemies as nocturne and the human form was pointless and so was the ammo thing.

Hmm...Xenogears now that was a great game..[/QUOTE]

You want mind blowing? Try Psychonauts when it comes out for the PS2, it's not really an RPG but it's make by exiles from Lucas arts. It's got a definate Monkey Island/Sam and Max feel to it.

human form is used to kill a certain monster, and in the second game guns will be needed for a new type of enemy.

[quote name='62t']human form is used to kill a certain monster, and in the second game guns will be needed for a new type of enemy.[/QUOTE]

That is so gay.:lol:

Oh noes! A monster that can only be stopped by tiny pieces of metal.

[quote name='blueweltall']Never played monkey island before and never heard of sam and max.[/QUOTE]

You didn't just say that. Ok? From now on, if people ask you about either of those games, you say OH YEAH THEY WERE GREAT HAHAHAHAHA. Then laugh it off and play off of what they were talking about.

"Ys involves smacking the crap out of things "

Because that's *such* a novel concept. Brave Fencer Musashi. That one Zelda game, i think. Virtually any 'action/RPG' on any console.

"and GG has an interesting semi-real time engine."

a-hem. Herzog Zwei. Warcraft. Command Adventures: Starship.

"Oh noes! A monster that can only be stopped by tiny pieces of metal."

Hmm....werewolves. Resident Evil [I'm sorry, bullets stopping a zombie? Only if you use enough to shred them. Flamethrower, maybe.] And the concept of "something earthly defeating something otherworldly/demonic" is quite a valid one....vis Orson Welles's production of "War of the Worlds".

Ammo wasn't pointless in DDS, it just wasn't utilized a lot. There were a few enemies who were more susceptible to bullets, but in most cases, it wasn't really worth the time to bother switching forms.

Monkey Island and Sam and Max? I liked the comics, but I never liked the 'point and click adventures'.

Both Nocturne and DDS do have stories, they're just not whacked over your head with dozens of cool cutting edge CGI cutscenes with professional voice acting. That's okay, I prefer to use my imagination to expand on the story. I've always preferred scifi that 'assumes' you know something about the environment/milieu, and doesn't treat you like a moron by spelling it all out for you.

DDS = Nocturne with a new coat of paint, which really is just Final Fantasy 7 with a an updated engine.

:rofl:

Okay, now I know that either:

A. You've never played nocturne
B. You're just trying to get a rise out of me
C. Both

an updated FFVII? please post the number of your drug dealer, I wanna smoke some of that too! I'd love to hear a detailed explanation of how it's remotely like FFVII.

I'm 40 hours in Nocturne and GOD it's hard going back to play knowing that I need to level for another two hours and go through the third kapla...I hope the ending is worth it. I really do miss...you know...a story. But the monster stuff is cool - i'm just waiting to use the magatama to strengthen my chars. once they are level 99 (I know i'll hit it by the end in order to survive the final boss).

it can be a pain, but it's very possible to go through the game without power-levelling too much-- The whole key to battle is exploiting(and defending) weaknesses to get criticals and more turns. If you get a guide and look ahead, you can plan out whole parties for boss fights. so the Analyze skill is actually useful. I beat the last boss(well, 2nd to last since I'm going for the secret ending) at level 85 with almost no sweat. Also, change up your party a lot! Fusing new demons every time you level up is a good idea.

So, as a little encouragement since the end of this game is pretty crazy, I'll let you know that the game doesn't really pick up till after the 3rd Kalpa. I put it down for a few weeks when I got to the 3rd kalpa too, but when I went back to it and beat it, it was like a different game. Basically, you'll have to choose your alignment(they really press the issue from the 4th kalpa and on) which will determine which ending you get. I think there's like 5 different endings. Just don't go neutral unless you plan on going for the True Demon Ending!

[quote name='Apossum']:rofl:

Okay, now I know that either:

A. You've never played nocturne
B. You're just trying to get a rise out of me
C. Both

an updated FFVII? please post the number of your drug dealer, I wanna smoke some of that too! I'd love to hear a detailed explanation of how it's remotely like FFVII.[/Quote]
Simple, tons of random battles with the same monsters, would you prefer I say it's the same as dragon warrior 7? The basic combat system has been abused to death and nocturne/DD didn't really do much to upgrade it. So basically you wander around power leveling to see small tid-bits of a story that don't really tie into the combat. Nocturne at least was novel in the way the game played, DD just felt like dissapointing. Do I really want to spend another 30 hours doing exactly what I did before so I can watch a plot as boring as Xenosaga's? No, I don't.

If you get a guide and look ahead, you can plan out whole parties for boss fights. so the Analyze skill is actually useful.

Thankyou for pointing that out, while playing nocturne that was my biggest gripe, I don't mind having to plan ahead sometimes but a strat. guide should not be required to complete a game.

[quote name='dtcarson']"Ys involves smacking the crap out of things "

Because that's *such* a novel concept. Brave Fencer Musashi. That one Zelda game, i think. Virtually any 'action/RPG' on any console.
See even you are having a difficult time coming up with action RPGs, they don't make a huge quantity of them.

Oh and you forgot Alundra.;)

[quote name='dtcarson']
"and GG has an interesting semi-real time engine."

a-hem. Herzog Zwei. Warcraft. Command Adventures: Starship.
Let's see 2 obscure games and Warcraft which is nothing like it. You probably would have done better to compair it to MechCommander or Chrono Trigger.

[quote name='dtcarson']
Hmm....werewolves. Resident Evil [I'm sorry, bullets stopping a zombie? Only if you use enough to shred them. Flamethrower, maybe.] And the concept of "something earthly defeating something otherworldly/demonic" is quite a valid one....vis Orson Welles's production of "War of the Worlds".
Okay...... you've gone way of the deep end in that one. The real question is why did they create a human mode that is nearly worhtless? It adds very little to the game.

[quote name='dtcarson']
Ammo wasn't pointless in DDS, it just wasn't utilized a lot. There were a few enemies who were more susceptible to bullets, but in most cases, it wasn't really worth the time to bother switching forms.
Exactly, ammo was worthless.

[quote name='dtcarson']
Monkey Island and Sam and Max? I liked the comics, but I never liked the 'point and click adventures'.[quote name='dtcarson']
So I'm guessing you didn't play many computer adventure games back in the day, it's really to bad perhaps you would have gained an appreciation for a game that contained a story to go along with all the mindless battles.

[quote name='dtcarson']
That's okay, I prefer to use my imagination to expand on the story. I've always preferred scifi that 'assumes' you know something about the environment/milieu, and doesn't treat you like a moron by spelling it all out for you.
That's a great idea, how about this we just go make up the game in our head and save $50.:applause:
Leaving things open to interpretation is one thing (a la myst), but creating a game without a story is just plain lazyness.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Simple, tons of random battles with the same monsters, would you prefer I say it's the same as dragon warrior 7? The basic combat system has been abused to death and nocturne/DD didn't really do much to upgrade it. So basically you wander around power leveling to see small tid-bits of a story that don't really tie into the combat. Nocturne at least was novel in the way the game played, DD just felt like dissapointing. Do I really want to spend another 30 hours doing exactly what I did before so I can watch a plot as boring as Xenosaga's? No, I don't.
[/quote]

then we agree to disagree. I just don't see any FF7 or DW7 in it at all. The press turn system, the demon conversation system, the moon phases affecting various aspects of play, exploiting weaknesses, fusing demons, picking and choosing skills, ingesting mitama which affect stats, strengths and weaknesses in different ways-- I didn't see any of that in either of the aforementioned rpgs. As for the plot, I thought choosing your path(smt is the original series to feature that), rebuilding a dead world, killing multiple gods and witnessing strange human psychology at it's roots was very entertaining. it drags for a lot of the game, I'll give ya that but I felt it paid off in the last 20 hours or so when things start coming together.

Thankyou for pointing that out, while playing nocturne that was my biggest gripe, I don't mind having to plan ahead sometimes but a strat. guide should not be required to complete a game.

It's not required at all. That's why I said the Analyze skill was useful ;-)

[quote name='Apossum']then we agree to disagree. I just don't see any FF7 or DW7 in it at all. The press turn system, the demon conversation system, the moon phases affecting various aspects of play, exploiting weaknesses, fusing demons, picking and choosing skills, ingesting mitama which affect stats, strengths and weaknesses in different ways-- I didn't see any of that in either of the aforementioned rpgs. As for the plot, I thought choosing your path(smt is the original series to feature that), rebuilding a dead world, killing multiple gods and witnessing strange human psychology at it's roots was very entertaining. it drags for a lot of the game, I'll give ya that but I felt it paid off in the last 20 hours or so when things start coming together.
[/QUOTE]

Simple it has extremely repetitive random encounters every 5 feet and the combat system hasn't been significantly upgraded in a decade. Granted parts of the Nocturne world are nicely done, but got DD is sooo dry. I understand the whole purgatory blandness thing but it makes the whole game seem dull.

[quote name='zionoverfire']I played the first few hours, it felt exactly like Nocturne so I sold it.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha this game is way better than Nocturne. I hated how Nocturne had no character development (w/your party members); you felt no attachment to your party at all since they were simply disposable monsters. This game is the complete opposite in that respect. I thought the core Nocturne battle system was fine, and with the improvements of this game as well as the character attachment, it reaches a whole new level in DDS. I love this game and it is easily the best RPG of the year so far. Please give it another chance. You do not need a guide to beat this game like w/Nocturne.

Whoever says this game is like FF7 or any FF game is a moron. OMG it has random encounters! OMFG IT HAS CUTSCENES!!!!!!1 OHNOES HAS TEH CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!!!!!!1 SO DO A MILLION OTHER RPGS, SO STFU.

DDS does not require a guide at all. Virtually every time I've died, it has been because I wasn't prepared for the battle. Learn from it, backtrack, retry, and whoop up on them. The game itself can be fairly linear, which I like.
The things I like best about DDS are:

* character development: watching how each character comes to grips with the new demonic part of the personality [however: i didn't count this against Nocturne, the level of character development in that game suited the game].
* the mantra/skill system. I have always loved the 'job' system, and DDS giving you the ability to keep your old skills really allows you to customize and adapt your party.
* enemy designs. Yes, some of the monsters are repeated from Nocturne or other SMT games. 85% of fantasy RPGs have got a "slime" or "green slime" enemy, and a "dragon", etc. There are some things that are a core part of the genre, that is one of them. Virtually every Action/RPG has got an "archer" character. Same thing.
* skill variety. Much greater than 'Fire/Stronger Fire/Strongest Fire', the huge selection of skills really allows you to personalize your characters and your play style.
* story. No, it's not hammered over your head with 10 minute cutscenes every 1/ hour. That's fine. It's there, it is fleshed out tantalizingly slowly, enough to keep me interested in answering the questions it is raising.

I liked Nocturne, but I think I like DDS better.

bread's done
Back