Alternatives to the CAGcast.

PawnTakesKing

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So after listening to #34 on an endless loop for the last week, I need something new. Sadly, since there is no CAGcast this week, Cheapy and Wombat have forced me to go in search of other quality listening material. All I need is something to tide me over until the next CAGcast. I've tried listening to Penny Arcade and 4colorrebellion, but they bore me to tears.

Anybody have a good CAGcast alternative? Something video game related?

I downloaded the Major Nelson podcast today. It was decent enough although I about lost my mind when he started on his "the power of 360" Shpiel. I hate to be pandered...

Moxio has a point, I guess. There just is no alternative. I feel like I'm missing something jumping into these new podcasts. Nonetheless, I've downloaded the Dreamstation and Chatterbox podcasts and will try listening to them on the way to work tomorrow.

Well the only other podcast I really listen to besides cagcast. Is the 1up podcast called 1upyours.

I enjoyed them throughly. Also there daily podcasts from E3 were great.

I like RadiOPM as they talk about more than just PS stuff.

I recommend DL.TV for tech folks to watch, as it's excellent and has lots of cool programs, items, and stuff for your computer and other tech items that I'd never have found elsewhere. They do talk about videogames whenever noteworthy stuff happens, but it's not the main focus of the show.

Other than these two and CAGcast, there's not much else I'd listen to. Maybe just the Kojima podcast, but I haven't checked it out in a while.

you can always listen to past CAGcast and rememeber the good times that were, October 2005. ooorrrr You could pretend that you just bought the season one set and listen to them all in a row. You can read the forum posts for each show while listening and pretend its commentary :)

[quote name='Wombat']You could pretend that you just bought the season one set and listen to them all in a row.[/quote]

Holy crap, that's a flim-flammin' dose of innovation for an untapped market! Imagine being able to buy "season" sets or Best Of yearly sets of the Howard Stern Show in MP3 on Media CD/DVD.

Or do they do that already?

Either way, I'll be sitting here moping for the next week. I thought 35 would be ready to D/L tonight. :oldman: What are we to do now, go see Superman? And even if we do, what do we listen to on the drive to the theater?!? :hot:

Lard is the poor man's butter, but this is just crap.

lol at shameless self promotion.

But I'll give it a listen.

*EDIT

I listened to confessions #3; that was pretty funny!

[quote name='mik']You could try "GameStore Confessions" on thefanboys.com

;)[/QUOTE]

Wow, I heard all of the "Gamestore Confessions" and one of the regular podcasts. The two hosts come off as lethargic and uninterested in podcast number 3. It's as if they are sedated or something.

So I guess Mik and Silent G were having breakfast at a restaurant or something and decided that their conversation is something worth recording and labeling a podcast. How great their idea must have sounded when they first thought of it. In their infinite wisdom they decided that people would actually like to listen to those two nerdy guys that are seated to close one's table to effectively ignore when one is eating at a restaurant. Who doesn't like to be a fly on the wall and listen in as two guys with monotone voices surreptitiously review a few games. I know I do.

One cannot ignore the sounds of forks and knives being used, people chatting, and other usual restaurant sounds. This atmosphere is supposed to contribute to the illusion that one is listening in as two guys talk about video games. Unfortunately, this same atmosphere threatens to undermine the actual meat of the podcast. It isn't that the restaurant ambiance is too loud, but that Mik and Silent G are too bland.

Maybe it’s the way Mik (or is it Silent G? I can't tell the difference) fawns over HL2 Ep. 1 through out the whole episode or the way one of them says that Prey "...pays off achievement points like a damn slot machine" that makes this episode tasteless. Why a slot machine? Slot machines are not known for freely and repeatedly giving away money. A more proper analogy would have been that prey gives achievement points like a vending machine. Silent G (or is it Mik) decided to use the analogy because even though he decries the use of cliches he cannot help but fall prey to them (pun intended). It is easy to rely on stereotypes and cliches, they are easy and require no thought. But what can one expect from such a poorly thought out premise for a podcast.

According to the description for podcast #3 "It gets no more high concept than this, folks: two nerds escape the office, go to lunch, and talk about their various geekdoms (primarily video games) over a chorus of annoying ambient noise." Sadly, Mik and Silent G's geek-talk does not manage to rise above the din of the restaurant, piquing the interest of the listener. Rather, their conversation itself becomes indistinguishable from the "chorus of annoying ambient noise."

Doctorfaustus,

Thanks for giving it a listen, and thanks for taking the time to write up that feedback (sardonic tone and all ;) ). Obviously, we've only done it a few times--and I find many of your criticisms to be valid ('tis why I recommended the GameStore Confessions rather than the Lunchcast)--so we're still figuring a way to make it work.

Acknowledging that we tend to be more dynamic in print than in audio, we're adding another, more animated bloke to our lunch routine. We'll see how it goes.

If anything, it's given us added respect for folks like Cheapy and Wombat who do this--and do it well. We'll keep at it, as we have a small band of listeners who seem to be enjoying the blog and audio thus far.

Perhaps I'll ask you for another appraisal in the future--it's good to hear honest reactions.

~mik . . . or am I Silent G?

The Gaming Steve podcast won't provide much "entertainment" but it's really freaking good and interesting.

[quote name='Vegan']The Gaming Steve podcast won't provide much "entertainment" but it's really freaking good and interesting.[/quote]

I used to listen to that, but two hours of one guy talking without the slightest bit of humor is just too much for me. He also talks about a lot of PC games that I have no interest in so, instead of fast-forwarding, I just stopped listening to it. Plus that fucking theme song...

I do agree that it has a lot of good information though if you can sit through it.

I agree that your articles are more "dynamic" than your podcast. In fact, I think they're hilarious and well written. I am actually interested in reading some more in the future.
Also the gamestore confessions are pretty funny.

[quote name='mik']Doctorfaustus,

Thanks for giving it a listen, and thanks for taking the time to write up that feedback (sardonic tone and all ;) ). Obviously, we've only done it a few times--and I find many of your criticisms to be valid ('tis why I recommended the GameStore Confessions rather than the Lunchcast)--so we're still figuring a way to make it work.

Acknowledging that we tend to be more dynamic in print than in audio, we're adding another, more animated bloke to our lunch routine. We'll see how it goes.

If anything, it's given us added respect for folks like Cheapy and Wombat who do this--and do it well. We'll keep at it, as we have a small band of listeners who seem to be enjoying the blog and audio thus far.

Perhaps I'll ask you for another appraisal in the future--it's good to hear honest reactions.

~mik . . . or am I Silent G?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vegan']Dude that's the best part![/quote]

The best part is when he talks about how the games industry really works. You don't get that from editors or even awesome New Yorkers.

But Shipwreck is right, two hours+one guy+no humor = quickly boring.

[quote name='b3b0p']GoNintendo PodCast[/QUOTE]

Seconded.

I also like Orange Lounge Radio, cept that supid bitch princess can get annoying at times

look no further:

http://pressstartpodcast.com/

these guys are NPR veterans who also happen to be gamers and started their own show, so it's very professional and intelligent and all that. They're only on their 5th podcast, but they got an interview with one of the lead designers on WoW. They also got a hands on test with the Wii just for the show! So you know it's the real deal...

they're just normal, down to earth, but pretty intelligent guys analyzing the game industry and culture. I like it cause it's not too dry, but it's not pretensious either. they also don't act like comedians or fanboys, so it's got a nice balance. damn, this is starting to sound like my iTunes review for them...go listen!

This Week In Tech is the only other podcast I enjoy listening to, other than CAGcast. CAGcast is probably one of the best things going for the site (other than deals.) Cheapy should really have the site branch out into reviews, etc.

1up yours- great podcast. A group of hilarious guys do talk for an hour and a half discussing gaming and game related news. It's distinctly seperated into parts, so you can skip through if you want to go straight to news or whatever. I would definately recommend it as an alternative, the personalities on this show are terrific.

Gaming Steve- Two hours of intelligent gaming discussion. This guy knows a lot about how the gaming world works. Definately recommend it if you're looking for cold hard information. I think it's really interesting, even if he doesn't crack a lot of jokes.

This Week in Tech- Intelligent discussion on everything going on each week technology related. From lawsuits to what celebrity is hacking another's blackberry, this podcast covers everything. I would recommend this podcast to people with at least a basic knowledge of technology and its termonology, because these guys discuss issues, but don't explain them.

Gamespot presents the Hotspot- This podcast is ok. I listen to it in the middle of the week when there's a drout in newly published podcasts.

PC gamer podcast- self explanatory

Xbox live major nelson podcast- just started listening to it, mainly because of the number of plugs its been getting off of cagcast. I can't say much about it.

Of course, cagcast trumps all. However, if you want something else to listen to, these are the best podcasts I'd recommend. :cool:

What the hell happend to dreamstation.cc's podcast? If thats how its going to be from now on, im very disappointed. It was my second fav :(

I really like the Gamespot's "hotspot." It may be because I really like thier editors' personalities but they seem to have very entertaining, informative, nostalgic and most importantly humorous commentary.

Just like everyone else, I listen to The Hotspot, CGW Radio, 1 UP Yours, EGM Live, KOXM Radio, Gaming Steve, Major Nelson.

As far as "intelligent" gaming discussions go, I listen to Gamasutra Radio (formerly Fat Pixels) and the new Gamespot podcast, "Designer Threads".

But my favorite has to be GameFaceRadio. The two hosts, Kaze and Zeta, are "just" a couple of Midwest guys having a normal conversation about old-school gaming and anime. Yet these guys are probably the most hardcore you'll ever meet. It isn't on a normal release schedule - sometimes it comes out every other week, sometimes once a month - but it's definitely worth adding to your iTunes or RSS aggregator. And just take a listen to Ep 7 - "Dork Up" has to be made the new mantra of the gaming culture.

Jeremy

[quote name='levi333']What the hell happend to dreamstation.cc's podcast? If thats how its going to be from now on, im very disappointed. It was my second fav :([/quote]

I agree, used to be one of my favorites, but now it has turned to shit :(

I never liked dreamstation.cc because it seemed overproduced and edited. Basically it was the equivalent of listening to the morning zoo. Just too much forced enthusiasm for my tastes.

And another one to stay far away from is Evil Avitar's podcast. I cringe just mentioning it. The host is an annoying talking head, and they seem way too concerned about making non-gaming related segments in which forum members can participate on-air.

Jeremy

there is another podcast that is very similar to the CAGcast - the SAGcast from Short Attention Gamer.

the hosts of this podcast remind me of Cheapy and Wombat. similar personalities. if CAG is sprite, then SAG is sierra mist.

--EDIT to mention Evil Avitar--
Unlike previous poster, I kind of like how they do the community participation - people can listen to the podcast live and make chatroom comments.

But the hosts ARE extremely annoying. They go off on way too many irritating tangents with empty talk. like when the host jokingly tells the audio producer that he is slacking:

Producer: slacking? oh goodness
Host: no obviously youre the hardest working guy here
Girl host:: Im the hardest working guy here!

oh har-dee-har har.

[quote name='Apossum']look no further:

http://pressstartpodcast.com/

these guys are NPR veterans who also happen to be gamers and started their own show, so it's very professional and intelligent and all that. They're only on their 5th podcast, but they got an interview with one of the lead designers on WoW. They also got a hands on test with the Wii just for the show! So you know it's the real deal...

they're just normal, down to earth, but pretty intelligent guys analyzing the game industry and culture. I like it cause it's not too dry, but it's not pretensious either. they also don't act like comedians or fanboys, so it's got a nice balance. damn, this is starting to sound like my iTunes review for them...go listen![/QUOTE]

Oh shit son, that sounds amazing.

[quote name='dr_bootygrabber']there is another podcast that is very similar to the CAGcast - the SAGcast from Short Attention Gamer.

the hosts of this podcast remind me of Cheapy and Wombat. similar personalities. if CAG is sprite, then SAG is sierra mist.

--EDIT to mention Evil Avitar--
Unlike previous poster, I kind of like how they do the community participation - people can listen to the podcast live and make chatroom comments.

But the hosts ARE extremely annoying. They go off on way too many irritating tangents with empty talk. like when the host jokingly tells the audio producer that he is slacking:

Producer: slacking? oh goodness
Host: no obviously youre the hardest working guy here
Girl host:: Im the hardest working guy here!

oh har-dee-har har.[/QUOTE]

I was about to write something nasty until I went to their website and realized that they started thier show about 2 months before us.

And to Rocksolid, now I have something to listen to tonight while I play me some MUA

I like the Team Fremont podcast personally as well as Broadcast Gamer ... not as muchso for Evil Avatar's podcast, as I stopped listening to it around the 30th Episode.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']check my sig. i think we have a pretty decent show - at the least, we're updating every tuesday nowadays.[/QUOTE]
Any way to download other than I-tunes?

So just curious - has anyone given my recommendation GameFaceRadio a listen? The GFR Gaiden episode was great.

BTW, I do not work for or am associated with GFR in any way. Just a big fan.

Jeremy

Can I just say, as someone who did a couple of episodes for the "old" DreamStation.cc show, and has been on more recently that we're still just trying to find ourselves. We're by no means professionals. We're really having a hard time trying to balance out what we do for the site like reviews, interviews, hitting up shows like E3, and everything else site relate. Not only that, but we have real jobs that pay the bills.

We're trying to be more regular about our shows, it's hard when the guy who's been doing it for the last year goes and gets hired by Microsoft, but that goes to show you that not only is our site quality, but our staff is as well. (or something) I hope those that were listening continue to listen as we iron out and get the transition going. From one CAG to another, not just someone who is spamming your boards.

If I may do a little bit of shameless self-promotion. Greg Sewart and I (we're both ex-EGMers but Greg still does freelance work in gaming) started up a podcast a few weeks ago called the Player One Podcast. Giving it a try could be a good distraction for when you're waiting on Wombat/Cheapy to post a new CAGcast.

Our show page is here.
You can subscribe through iTunes here.

Sometimes we do a little talking about working at a gaming mag, but I'd like to think our industry observations are at least sometimes insightful. Comments welcome.

- Chris J.

[quote name='FullmetalCJ']If I may do a little bit of shameless self-promotion. Greg Sewart and I (we're both ex-EGMers but Greg still does freelance work in gaming) started up a podcast a few weeks ago called the Player One Podcast. Giving it a try could be a good distraction for when you're waiting on Wombat/Cheapy to post a new CAGcast.

Our show page is here.

Sometimes we do a little talking about working at a gaming mag, but I'd like to think our industry observations are at least sometimes insightful. Comments welcome.

- Chris J.[/QUOTE]

Shameless, yes... ;) but it's ironic I just heard about your podcast yesterday on EGMLive and have it downloaded to listen for today. I'll let you know what I think.

[quote name='jrutz']Shameless, yes... ;) but it's ironic I just heard about your podcast yesterday on EGMLive and have it downloaded to listen for today. I'll let you know what I think.[/quote]

Did the exact same thing for the exact same reason!

[quote name='FullmetalCJ']If I may do a little bit of shameless self-promotion. Greg Sewart and I (we're both ex-EGMers but Greg still does freelance work in gaming) started up a podcast a few weeks ago called the Player One Podcast. Giving it a try could be a good distraction for when you're waiting on Wombat/Cheapy to post a new CAGcast.

Our show page is here.

- Chris J.[/QUOTE]

Hey No Fair! you guys are legitimate media you can't go plugging your professional wares around here... In all seriousness thats very cool and I will take a listen, you just have to promise to keep listening to us.

[quote name='Wombat']Hey No Fair! you guys are legitimate media you can't go plugging your professional wares around here... In all seriousness thats very cool and I will take a listen, you just have to promise to keep listening to us.[/QUOTE]

OK, I promise. Easy promise to make. I thoroughly enjoy the CAGcast.

(and I'm totally not in the professional gaming media anymore. I work at an anime magazine.) ;)

- CJ

[quote name='FullmetalCJ']OK, I promise. Easy promise to make. I thoroughly enjoy the CAGcast.

(and I'm totally not in the professional gaming media anymore. I work at an anime magazine.) ;)

- CJ[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah cause thats not just cool or anything, Damn you Johnston!!!!

the old dreamstation guys went and started another podcast. It is http://www.gamercastnetwork.com/. The head guy, chris is a spot guess as was mentioned earlier he got a job at msft. The new dreamstation isn't bad, it just isn't on enough. I hope they can work it out.

I listen to the 1up, cagcast, gamercastnetwork, oxm,nextgengames,majornelson,ign,and gamespot. They are listed in the order of preference to listen to them.

bread's done
Back