Cooling options for a small room?

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
I'm looking for something that'll keep my dorm room cool. Unlike other rooms, my room has the window and door diagnoally so I don't get any airflow.

I'm thinking about getting this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16896101421

Is uses water to keep a room cool... but what I want to know is, is that bad for electronic components? I'm sure it's and I'm probably being a dumb ass thinking so but I don't want to take any risks with all my electronic equipment.

If that's not a good idea, anybody here got any other recommendations? Maybe a dehumidifier? I had three fans in my room last year and they didn't do much so I need alternatives. I don't need my room to be freezing cold but something around 75F would be cool (pun intended).

Air conditioners have water inside so it's normals. I say just use some good fans to cool things off.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']air conditioning?[/QUOTE]

:lol: They won't let you have a real air conditioner, not those window ones. Plus it's too expensive.

[quote name='StarChild']Air conditioners have water inside so it's normals. I say just use some good fans to cool things off.[/QUOTE]

A/Cs have water inside? I always thought it was some type of chemical (like freon in cars). But hell, if it's just water then that thing'll be awesome!

Not to troll, but that Fujitronic thing sounds like a fan in the description.

But, if that Fujitronic thing actually cools air then it has to exchange the heat and send it somewhere, meaning an exhaust hose that you'll have to stick out your door or window.

My suggestion would be one of those dual window fans.

Have you tried a box fan in the window? I lived in the "ghetto" dorm for one semester with no A/C and steam heat, and the box fan cooled the room by a good 15-20 degrees.

[quote name='b0bx13']Have you tried a box fan in the window? I lived in the "ghetto" dorm for one semester with no A/C and steam heat, and the box fan cooled the room by a good 15-20 degrees.[/quote]

I also got through college with a box fan in the window.

Also what helps is to have a second fan in the room that's pointed at you constantly, that really helps keep down the heat.

When I lived in a dorm room, we had about 7 fans in our room. In the window two double fans, and a box fan. Then we had two tornado fans, and two 3 foot osalating fans. Kept things cool.

Vinny, I don't know where you live, but if you live somewhere that makes you consider getting a dehumidifier, the Fujitronic won't work for you. It's a swamp cooler, and are designed to work in hot, but dry climates, like southern California or Arizona (i.e. deserts). They work on evaporative cooling, and actually produce very humid air (90% or so humidity levels) which isn't very good for electronics equipment. Either way, probably not what you want. Although on the plus side, they are much cheaper to operate in terms of electricity costs than A/C units.

But, if that Fujitronic thing actually cools air then it has to exchange the heat and send it somewhere, meaning an exhaust hose that you'll have to stick out your door or window.
It doesn't work on a heat exchange system so there is no exhaust hose.

A/Cs have water inside? I always thought it was some type of chemical (like freon in cars). But hell, if it's just water then that thing'll be awesome!
A/C's have a refrigerant inside, like freon (but more modern). They act as dehumidifiers as a byproduct of the refrigeration cycle, and that is why they produce water. You don't pour water into them to make them work, if you do, that is a swamp cooler. Older A/C's drain water out the window, newer ones can evaporate water right outside the window.

They won't let you have a real air conditioner, not those window ones. Plus it's too expensive.
They have "real" air conditioners that don't sit on windows, called ductless split air conditioners. Split air conditioners can be placed anywhere in a room, and are split into two units. One is the actual AC unit, the other is connected to it (unfortunately through a wall) using a long tube to drain water into it as well as placing many of the AC units duty's on the outside, making the unit much quieter indoors. Unfortunately, they are more expensive to buy than standard window units.

Refrigerative dehumidifiers work on the same principle as A/C units, and I don't think they are much cheaper to operate. There are mechanical dehumidifiers but I don't know much about their effectiveness, although I'm sure they are much cheaper to operate.

Basically, if you want really comfortable air, you have to pay for it. That's why every college student I know uses nothing but box fans.

[quote name='espy605']
They have "real" air conditioners that don't sit on windows, called ductless split air conditioners. Split air conditioners can be placed anywhere in a room, and are split into two units.[/QUOTE]

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4456979

Here's the portable ac unit. It ducts to the window. Although not shown, it will have 2 flexable tubes connected to a long skinny sheet of plastic that you put in the window and shut the window against it. This is the cheapest I've ever seen one and is still expensive @ $350.

I'd go with everybody else's suggestions and buy up some cheap fans.

Wow, thanks for all the heads up guys.

[quote name='b0bx13']Have you tried a box fan in the window? I lived in the "ghetto" dorm for one semester with no A/C and steam heat, and the box fan cooled the room by a good 15-20 degrees.[/QUOTE]

I guess I live in a ghetto hall too. We have those vent windows that you see in big industrial buildings, the ones that you have to rotate a level and the windows swing open upwards. I hate them because you can't just open a part, We also have steam heating.:p

HOUSBannerWiley.jpg

The problem with those is that you can't just open one, they all open together. Otherwise, I could've used one of those hanging fans up top to exhaust hot air and box fans at the bottom to bring in cooler air.

Now, I've seen these put to use by many kids... usually they put two on the window sill blowing air in or out but that leaves the top area open which just continues to let hot air in. I've seen four of them used at one time, which seems like it could work. It's worth a try since those fans are like $6 each at Wal-Mart.

I actually have a Vornado fan... it's a smaller one. It's powerful but I don't like how it directs a narrow stream of air. It gets the air moving though. I do try to have a fan on me but it becomes irritating because my contacts keep drying out if there's any direct air anywhere near my face.:whistle2:(

I bought an AC unit like the one puternerd linked to at Home Depot when our cenral air went out earlier this summer. It was 8000 BTUs and cost $300 has a pretty good efficency rating as well. My last trip to the same Home Depot they didn't have any left though so ymmv at your local one if you have one.

$300 is a bit more than I really want to spend...

Like I said, you have to pay for it.

Try a dehumidifier, and buy it from a place with a good return policy so that if you don't like it you can return it. Dehumidifiers don't actively cool rooms, but if you live in a high humidity environment, it will dry the air out enough so that your own body's perspiration can more effectively cool your body. That may not sound like much, but some people find it very comfortable. It's also why really humid, hot weather is so intolerable, since sweating doesn't cool you down since it can't evaporate.

Here's one in your price range at Wal-Mart:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2025455

Comes with built in 30 pint bin (which is much smaller than it sounds) with an option of draining through a standard hose.

Well, I'm not set on an A/C... that was never the plan unless it was affordable. I just wanted to know if those water based coolers worked. I guess they do but if they're bad for electronics, then hell no am I getting one (new computer w/ 21" LCD, receiver, speakers- no way am I taking that risk).

I'm thinking that 4 box fans plus extra fans in the room would be best.

[quote name='Vinny']Well, I'm not set on an A/C... that was never the plan unless it was affordable. I just wanted to know if those water based coolers worked. I guess they do but if they're bad for electronics, then hell no am I getting one (new computer w/ 21" LCD, receiver, speakers- no way am I taking that risk).

I'm thinking that 4 box fans plus extra fans in the room would be best.[/quote]
Yup, have a box fan in the window and then have one of those standing fans in front of the box fan to blow the cool air even further...

And with those stand fans, you can set it on rotate so the air isn't blowing directly on your face, but around the room to cool it.

bread's done
Back