Cheap Games at Value City

hertzy

CAGiversary!
I went into Value City on Sunday and they had some older games on sale for xbox, ps2, game cube, and gba. I was only looking for xbox games so that is all I remember but they had quite a few for all the systems.

xbox

buffy-chaos bleeds 9.99
pulse racer 7.99
blood wake 9.99
elder scrolls-morrowind ????
shenmue II 9.99
grabbed by the goulies 9.99
wreckless 9.99
amped 2 9.99
sphinx and the cursed mummy 9.99
outlaw tennis 14.99
kelly slater pro surfer 9.99
mace griffin 9.99
minority report 9.99
dr muto 7.99
mtv music generator 9.99
robin hood defender of the crown 9.99
aggressive inline 9.99
i-ninja 9.99
rally fusion ????
blowout 7.99
aquaman battle for atlantis 7.99
the hobbit 9.99

gamecube

timesplitters 2 9.99

I know they're not that good but I figured maybe someone out there might want to pick one of them up. If someone already posted-my bad.

We have Value City here in Michigan. All they sell is crappy bargain bin games, so if you don't have one you're not missing anything.

[quote name='jkg2k3']We have them in Illinois too, they scare me![/QUOTE]Yeah, the one in Illinois nearest to me is a pretty crummy place.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']We have Value City here in Michigan. All they sell is crappy bargain bin games, so if you don't have one you're not missing anything.[/quote]

That isn't true at all. I picked up La Pucelle Tactics for $20 there when it was still $40 at other stores. It is harder to find good stuff but they don't always have just crap.

i've gotten some decent PC titles at mine in the past, random stuff like NOLF2 for a buck. decent for deals on occasion.

Value City sells sealed PSX games for $5 each. Sometimes they have a sale and they're $3 each. Last time I went there I picked up 20 sealed games for $60 + tax...mostly obscure puzzle games that came out near the end of the PSX's life cycle, but also Legend of Dragoon, Hellboy, etc. There were around 100 different titles at the store I went to. Lots and lots of kiddie games too...Easter Bunny, Barbie, etc.

Theres one in Virgina Beach near here. They used to be a good store, but has kinda gone downhill. Then again, its been about 3 years since I've been there...

I picked Sly 3 for $20 back in November. You can find strange deals like that at VC. It's mostly older stuff though. Some good, and a lot of bad.

Not just east coast obviously, as most of the people in this thread are in the Midwest, including myself here in Indiana.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']We have Value City here in Michigan. All they sell is crappy bargain bin games, so if you don't have one you're not missing anything.[/QUOTE]

The one in Livonia Mall is disgusting. When is that place being knocked down anyway? They started knocking down Wonderland Mall a while ago. A Walmart is going to take it's place. :cry:

All my Value City has is a bunch of Die Hard games for the PS2 and PS1 along with Aqua Man, Starsky and Hutch, and bad license games. And a copy of F-Zero Maximum Velocity that keeps going there.

[quote name='aoLat']The one in Livonia Mall is disgusting. When is that place being knocked down anyway? They started knocking down Wonderland Mall a while ago. A Walmart is going to take it's place. :cry:[/QUOTE]
Considering the shape that the mall is in, though, that might not be a bad thing. It's so run down and deserted - both in terms of stores and the people who shop there - that it's worlds easier to start over instead of repairing.

It's kind of late now, but I was talking about Livonia Mall and not Wonderland.

[quote name='friedram']..... I'm guessing "VALUE CITY" is a east coast thing.[/quote]

It was actually started in Columbus, Ohio as Schottenstein's. Those stores have been around here for about 30 years. They opened up Value City Furniture stores, and then decided to use that name for the dept. stores when they went to other cities where the Schottenstein family name was not as well-known. They are all over the mid-west, but I don't know how widespread or far-reaching the chain is. They've been into the 2nd market for clothing long before Marshall's and the closeout business long before Odd Lots/Big Lots (which was also started in Columbus, Ohio).

yeah, they're really hit or miss, sort of along the same lines as big lots/odd lots. always amazes me that ohio state let them put their name on their basketball arena... 'value city arena' just sounds so tacky.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Considering the shape that the mall is in, though, that might not be a bad thing. It's so run down and deserted - both in terms of stores and the people who shop there - that it's worlds easier to start over instead of repairing.[/QUOTE]

But the food court there when I was a little kid was amazing, and I'd always watch the other older kids playing each other in Street Fighter 2, and Mortal Kombat, and Killer Instinct. It was awesome. :D

[quote name='aoLat']But the food court there when I was a little kid was amazing, and I'd always watch the other older kids playing each other in Street Fighter 2, and Mortal Kombat, and Killer Instinct. It was awesome. :D[/QUOTE]

You're thinking of Wonderland, I'm pretty sure livonia mall never had a food court. Wonderland mall was amazing back in the day though. I remember going there about a week after mortal kombat 1 came out for the arcade and there were like 30 people there watching fights and stuff.

I grew up with Value City in Ohio as a kid in the 70's and 80's. I think VC Furniture cam along after the fact but I could have it wrong. I think VC used to the home of "irregulars", but I think now it is closer to Marshall's and T. J. Maxx. They actually have some decent prices on suits and shoes.

I am in GA now and the stores down here seem to be significantly better than I remember in Ohio. They may just be newer. One last thing, they have the value card (who doesn't now adays). Its free, but all it really does is get you coupons in the mail. I have one now that is buy one item, get your second item for 50% off. I don't recall any exclusions, but I could be wrong.

[quote name='Rirse']All my Value City has is a bunch of Die Hard games for the PS2 and PS1 along with Aqua Man, Starsky and Hutch, and bad license games. And a copy of F-Zero Maximum Velocity that keeps going there.[/quote]

if they have die hard for PSone, get it! its a classic and you will prob. love it

[quote name='portnoyd']Where in NJ is there a Value City? Only ones I've ever seen were in Michigan.[/QUOTE]

There used to be one in Paramus but it since closed down like the rest of the Bergen Mall.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']You're thinking of Wonderland, I'm pretty sure livonia mall never had a food court. Wonderland mall was amazing back in the day though. I remember going there about a week after mortal kombat 1 came out for the arcade and there were like 30 people there watching fights and stuff.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of Wonderland because the guy I quoted was talking about Wonderland Mall being replaced with a Walmart. :cry:

Also, you suck.

I think Value City purchased the games from FYE because some of the games are in the large blister packs that I only ever saw at FYE. Anyway, I am going back up in a few minutes so I will look to see what other games they have for all the systems and I will list them.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']I grew up with Value City in Ohio as a kid in the 70's and 80's. I think VC Furniture cam along after the fact but I could have it wrong.[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure either, but I do know that the furniture store was built onto their 2nd Columbus location (on Innis Rd.) a *long* time ago (mid 70's I would guess), and I seem to remember the Lancaster, Ohio location (south of Columbus) briefly being called Schottenstein's before it's name was changed to Value City.

As for the OSU Arena, it's even more convoluted than that. It's the Value City Arena at the Schottenstein Center--essentially 2 names for the same building. I guess when you pretty much pay for everything you get what you want.

[quote name='portnoyd']Where in NJ is there a Value City? Only ones I've ever seen were in Michigan.[/QUOTE]
There is one in Manalapan.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I'm not 100% sure either, but I do know that the furniture store was built onto their 2nd Columbus location (on Innis Rd.) a *long* time ago (mid 70's I would guess), and I seem to remember the Lancaster, Ohio location (south of Columbus) briefly being called Schottenstein's before it's name was changed to Value City.

As for the OSU Arena, it's even more convoluted than that. It's the Value City Arena at the Schottenstein Center--essentially 2 names for the same building. I guess when you pretty much pay for everything you get what you want.[/QUOTE]

I grew up in the 'bus through the 80's, and I also vaguely remember schottenstein's being a discount/outlet store... and that it was top o' the list in trashiness at the time. think lots of unsorted bins of cheap crap - there was no order to the place. AFAIK the value city name came along later, and the two were combined.

yep, basically, it's the "schottenstein center" for the surrounding grounds, but "value city arena" for the building itself.

If you are looking for a Value City store, try checking the web site www.valuecity.com to find one.

I work for this company, not in the stores however. Value City was a store that did mostly buyouts of goods that were being discontinued or stores that were closing. Now Value City only does a limited number of buyouts and doing more regular purchasing of items for regular stock. Just in the years I have worked for the company, I have seen a big change in the stores.

Ok, now that is out of the way... The games that Value City sells are older "Value Priced Games" that are packed in blister packs. I am not sure of the company that we get them from however I know they are the same "Value" games you find in most stores that sale the blister packed games. Basically, nothing that good or if it is a good game then it is over a year old. Which can sometimes be nice if you are looking for an older game that most stored don't have.

Ok and now the commercial is over, we now return to your regularly scheduled thread...

A bought a copy of Dark Cloud 2 from a local VC. It had a french manual shrink-wrapped to the case, so I'm assuming it came from Canada...? Many copies of Wild Arms 3 packaged the same way.

bread's done
Back