CAGcast #36: In Mousin We Trust

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
This week's show features Wombat's broken 360 experience, LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth II and Hitman Blood Money reviews, Xbox Live Marketplace's slippery slope, the latest gaming and shopping news, your questions from the CAGbag and much more!

Download - 61 minutes, 28MB
(If you haven't yet done so, PLEASE review us by clicking here!) Get us featured on iTunes!
RSS feed
Past CAGcasts

[media]http://cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagcast36.mp3[/media]

Linkage:
Intro: FFXII: Death of Aeris
mousin tribute thread - CAGwiki page
CAGcast reviews: 1, 2

New Releases: Prey, Chromehounds

Play-Asia.com Lucky Summer Sale
Xbox 360 Premium Console $360 Shipped After Coupon at Overstock
The CAGschwag Store is Open!

Socom III maps / pricing
XBLA Wednesdays unveiled
Another Oblivion Add-on
Sony tough on backwards compatibility
Free game with Wii/PS3 pre-order down under

CAGbag
Outro: South Park: Chef's Luv Shack
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I think I'd far rather get additional content free as a pre-order bonus than a figurine or some other useless object. One of the only pre-order bonuses I've ever bothered with was the GameCube remakes of the N64 Zelda given as a bonus for pre-ordering Wind Waker.

A lot of add-on modules and sequels in the past were well under way when the game shipped. Ever since Doom mods turned into a gold mine developers and publishers have been on top of this. Some sequels even appear to have been in the works before the first game shipped. X-men Legends II was pretty quick to appear. Reusing the code base can save a lot of money and is only going to increase.

Ugh, I had a similar problem with microsoft support. Here is a paste minus identifying information from several months ago when I mailed someone regarding this. I should note that this was never resolved, they never mailed me anything, and I still have the $50 gold card unused:

I've been trying to get a resolution for an XBox 360 live
subscription card problem I've had for a week or so now. I have
sat on hold for a few hours waiting for solutions, gotten forwarded
to places that then forward me somewhere else. Now just today I was told
I should call back tomorrow and (I'm not kidding) "ask for John". I assume "John" is the only person who can operate the fax machine.

My problem is basically this, I got an XBox Live 12+1 month subscription
card when my trial gold month ran out. When the foil was scratched off that covered the code, the code itself was partially destroyed. That
night I sat and tried for about three hours to guess the missing glyphs,
however this was futile so I put it off for the next day. Which is where
after about 30 minutes on the phone with a nice support woman I was told to fax my card with my information (as I did) to 1877 557 8408.

I never received any confirmation, I waited a few days to see if anything had been mailed. Then today I got around to calling the support number again only to be bounced around for nearly an hour with no resolution and what is the most frustrating $50 I've ever spent.

The discussion about Insomniac was hilarious. I agree 100%. R&C was a major reason I bought a PS2. I guess the good news is by the time there is an R&C game out the PS3 may have dropped in price.

i dont get is i post a 360 deal from dell and it was only $340 and it worked for over 2 weeks, and now this 360 for $360 deal comes up and it gets all the attention?

Good episode, guys. Nice tribute to Mousin. Given the general tenor of the show, I know it's hard to address something as grim as an actual death among the user base without it sounding weird, but I think you handled it well.

Cheapy: When that blogger said your comments "betray your background," he meant that despite your worldliness (i.e., you live in Japan), some of the things you say still mark you as a quintissential New Yorker (or at least, what guys like him think New Yorkers are like). I don't think he meant it in an especially negative way, though I do find his stereotyping of New Yorkers as "parochial" somewhat odd. Incidentally, since I'm from Atlanta, I consider myself a neutral observer. ;)

Grammatical eye jab of the week: During the show, Wombat employed the oft-used rejoinder "the point is moot." The correct meaning of the term "moot" is often overlooked. A moot subject is defined as one worthy of discussion. So saying "the point is moot" is essentially like saying "that's debatable." The connotation in either instance is that the subject in question is trivial (kind of like this whole paragraph). Leave it to English to make the phrase "that is worthy of discussion" actually mean, "that's not worth discussing at all." :roll:

Wombat: What led you and your wife to go with Nutrisystem? I've been doing Weight Watchers for just over 5 weeks now. It was my wife's idea initially, but last week she ditched for Atkins, that traitor. Anyway, I plan to stay on it indefinitely because I think it's the only one of the major diet plans that actually teaches you proper eating and exercise habits and trains you to eat a balanced diet for the rest of your life. So far I've been very happy on it, feel better, get plenty to eat, and have lost about 15 pounds.

Growing up, my mom was the national chair for Overeaters Anonymous, so I got more than my fair share of education about eating disorders, diets, and nutrition (and they psychology behind all three). I think, fundamentally, a diet has to be a way that you can realistically eat for the rest of your life. Thus, I take a relatively dim view of Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, and especially low carb/no carb crap like Atkins and South Beach because they ask you to either eat their products exclusively or eat in a way that is unrealistic over a long period of time (no one in their right mind goes into Atkins thinking "I can do this forever!" or if they do, they quickly change their mind after a week or two). Moreover, once you go off those plans (they are all meant to be used for a finite amount of time), you are more likely to gain the weight back (plus a little) because you are generally unprepared to make healthy choices in a real life situation. My dad goes on and off Atkins practically every other month, which I know is doing irreparable damage to his heart and arteries (when he's on it, he eats butter like a candy bar and downs red meat by the ton), but he loses weight so he's convinced he's healthy.

Admittedly, I know less about Nutrisystem than I do the others, so I'd be interested to get your impressions of it. I wish you and your wife the best and hope it does work for you. Keep us aprised.

I totally agree with as per your comments about pre-order content, pre-order bonus should not include significant game-play content. As a game developer, "bonus" content has always been difficult to address, IME often that content was not planned for, at the start of the project (by developers), but evolved from more and more interaction the marketing departments. I am certainly hoping that both MS and Sony are able to solidify the download content area, as it does have great potential plus as a consumer, the competition would be healthy.

A concern I have with download content is the possibility of game patches. Traditionally console games are 100% complete packages, any bugs left in the game are ether minor, super hard to find, or are sloppy and/or careless from the lack of publisher testing. With download content how many console games in the future will require patches?

As for Insomniac doing a FPS, I was both surprised and disappointed on that news as well. I wonder if Sony is concerned that the price of the console (and the luke warm reception at E3) will limit the PS3 market to hard core gamers only, so it might be a long time before the PS3 gets more variety beyond the realistic and or FPS genre.

Cagcast is awesome, thanks

I like the magazine w/ads and coupons. Maybe Best Buy could put in the coupon from the gamer gift card so they can save money on the cost of the cards since (nearly) all cags buy the cards just for the coupon.

:applause:

Very classy guys. I haven't even made it 15 seconds into the CAGcast but the FFVII music and episode dedication are spot on! Good form lads.

Great show guys and a great CAG tribute to Mousin.

Wombat, have you ever tried Goblin Commander? It's an RTS lite. Pretty mindless but I had a ton of fun with it.

I guess Wombat didn't pay attention to last year's E3 when Insomniac announced Resistance, which was pretty good when I played. The weapons are pretty cool and unique. Plus, their first game was an FPS for the PS1 called Disruptor. ;) They're working on Ratchet and Clank for the PS3, don't worry.

Otherwise, good show.

:lol: I love the Chef's Luv Shack ending. What a good game.

lol im currently listening to this and it rox! im amazed you had that much trouble with the ms support, ive never really had any problems with them and im on my 3rd xbox 360 and 2nd xbox, so ive called them a few times. KEEP THE FACEPLATE! its a free faceplate, i did it :p

[quote name='Wombat']where, by who. copycat bastards[/QUOTE]

Smartass. There is only one Cagcast. I was reffering to previous episodes.
Oh and the right answer for the Xbox live question is to use a normal DVD player. Then you won't get invites.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']you ever figure out why it says I cant vote because my aim info says I am from a different country?[/quote]

I had posted in the apple podcasting forums but have had no luck yet.
I just posted again in the itunes forum.

Hey, good job guys.

Wombat, thanks for the DVD drive imitation, my New Sony HD TV's speakers nearly blew out, not to mention my dog ran into the closet. Man, was that thing loud or what?

Also, good luck on the diet stuff. I've been trying to drop some weight too and it is not as easy as it was to put on the weight. Also, it's not as fun. But by eating smarter and hitting the gym I've been able to shed about 40 lbs since last November.
I'm still fat but I feel way better about myself.
Good luck, my corpulent brother.
You should post some before and after pictures.

Talkin about the Virtual Console, inCastlevania III. You got to play as Alucard, Wombat. Not tryin to be an a-hole, just wanted to clarify. It's my favorite Castlevania as well.

[quote name='soliddragon']Talkin about the Virtual Console, inCastlevania III. You got to play as Alucard, Wombat. Not tryin to be an a-hole, just wanted to clarify. It's my favorite Castlevania as well.[/QUOTE]

and Alucard spelled backwards is Dracula

[quote name='Wombat']Dracula, Dracula's son whatever he turned into a bat and that was sweet.[/QUOTE]

Not as sweet as Grant (the pirate guy you were talking about) though. Well, until you tried to turn too many corners on a ceiling and fell to your death. That dude had mad hops though.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Hey, good job guys.

Wombat, thanks for the DVD drive imitation, my New Sony HD TV's speakers nearly blew out, not to mention my dog ran into the closet. Man, was that thing loud or what?[/QUOTE]

Is it pure coincidence that your comment also coincides with your avatar?

[quote name='umcthomas']I like the magazine w/ads and coupons. Maybe Best Buy could put in the coupon from the gamer gift card so they can save money on the cost of the cards since (nearly) all cags buy the cards just for the coupon.[/quote]

The magazine idea sounds cool, but I think a newsletter of some sort would be more feasible. Just my two cents.

Wombat - Even though I have no-idea what your job background or field is, if you're willing to move to the west-coast there's a job waiting here for you. Think about it [after you've entered my contest]. ;)

If they did a magazine, it would have to daily, because the whole point of the site is it find game deals, and some of those deals last about a few hours.

[quote name='joshingit']The magazine idea sounds cool, but I think a newsletter of some sort would be more feasible. Just my two cents.

Wombat - Even though I have no-idea what your job background or field is, if you're willing to move to the west-coast there's a job waiting here for you. Think about it [after you've entered my contest]. ;)[/QUOTE]

What kind of job, is it Legal, not that I mind just curious

[quote name='Wombat']What kind of job, is it Legal, not that I mind just curious[/QUOTE]

Watch out. You're going to end up managing a medicinal marijuana clinic and get shot in the face...and not by a gamer.

You've got my vote for the CAGmag!

@Wombat - Ok, it is pretty clear that you work in the Audio Engineering field (or something similar). If I am right then you might want to take a look at working for a game company. Those skills are always in demand. (Hint: Take a look at Lucas companies. He just opened a gigantic facility at the Presidio in SF and is hiring like mad for all of his companies that are housed there.)

EDIT/Hint #2: (I have people on the inside. :D)

[quote name='daphatty']@Wombat - Ok, it is pretty clear that you work in the Audio Engineering field (or something similar). If I am right then you might want to take a look at working for a game company. Those skills are always in demand. (Hint: Take a look at Lucas companies. He just opened a gigantic facility at the Presidio in SF and is hiring like mad for all of his companies that are housed there.)[/QUOTE]

Are they actually going to start producing graphical adventures again or just double their output of crappy Star Wars games?

"We need more people on Jabba's Palace Karaoke, STAT!"

[quote name='daphatty']You've got my vote for the CAGmag!

@Wombat - Ok, it is pretty clear that you work in the Audio Engineering field (or something similar). If I am right then you might want to take a look at working for a game company. Those skills are always in demand. (Hint: Take a look at Lucas companies. He just opened a gigantic facility at the Presidio in SF and is hiring like mad for all of his companies that are housed there.)

EDIT/Hint #2: (I have people on the inside. :D)[/quote]
So I'm guessing Wombat should be on the lookout for an office linebacker heading his way?

[quote name='daphatty']You've got my vote for the CAGmag!

EDIT/Hint #2: (I have people on the inside. :D)[/quote]

Hell ya. Their facilities are fucking amazing when it comes to amenities and such it makes companies such as Microsoft look pathetic.

Wombat - it's 100% legal.
:whistle2:\"

[quote name='joshingit']Hell ya. Their facilities are fucking amazing when it comes to amenities and such it makes companies such as Microsoft look pathetic.

Wombat - it's 100% legal.
:whistle2:\"
[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for a PM with the info :)

[quote name='Tybee'] Grammatical eye jab of the week: During the show, Wombat employed the oft-used rejoinder "the point is moot." The correct meaning of the term "moot" is often overlooked. A moot subject is defined as one worthy of discussion. So saying "the point is moot" is essentially like saying "that's debatable." The connotation in either instance is that the subject in question is trivial (kind of like this whole paragraph). Leave it to English to make the phrase "that is worthy of discussion" actually mean, "that's not worth discussing at all."
[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to jump in here to defend Wombat - not that he needs it. His meaning of 'moot' was in accord with the usual sense of this word in North American English. BTW, that's not just my opinion; that's the view of the Oxford English Dictionary. The OED shows Wombat to be in good company in using 'moot' with this meaning. The usage also appears in major publications like Time and law journals and even in the opinions of the Supreme Court.

It's true that originally 'moot' meant only 'debatable' but everyday observation (and the OED) indicates that it no longer has only that meaning. To argue otherwise would be like suggesting that only women can be described as 'hysterical' b/c that word contains the Greek root for 'womb'.

[quote name='gordonmj']I just wanted to jump in here to defend Wombat - not that he needs it. His meaning of 'moot' was in accord with the usual sense of this word in North American English. BTW, that's not just my opinion; that's the view of the Oxford English Dictionary. The OED shows Wombat to be in good company in using 'moot' with this meaning. The usage also appears in major publications like Time and law journals and even in the opinions of the Supreme Court.

It's true that originally 'moot' meant only 'debatable' but everyday observation (and the OED) indicates that it no longer has only that meaning. To argue otherwise would be like suggesting that only women can be described as 'hysterical' b/c that word contains the Greek root for 'womb'.[/QUOTE]

And lesbians come from the island of Lesbos. Mmmmmmm....lesbians. :drool:

bread's done
Back