I have frozen ground beef and I wanna cook it. Can I just put it in the skillet?

basketkase543

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I just came back from work and want to make some spaghetti for dinner but my dumbass just realized that my ground beef was frozen. I've been heating up the package by placing some hot running water over it.

Would it be a problem if i just placed the meat partially frozen in the skillet with oil and just started cooking it? I think it'd be fine but I just wanted to ask some of you cooks out there.

Do you have a microwave with a defrost option? It's not the best, but I think that would be better than going at it frozen.

just cook it in the skillet while frozen...don't let it burn and keep stirring/breaking it apart with a spoon. don't defrost it unless you have mastered that skill because you'll probably end up cooking it in the microwave which is bad.

Yea, should be fine. Occasionally flip the ground beef brick and scrape off the cooked portion with a spatula to get it to cook faster. I assume that you are just using the meat broken up as you would for chili, not meatballs. Be careful about putting frozen food into hot oil (splattering).

[quote name='basketkase543']I just came back from work and want to make some spaghetti for dinner but my dumbass just realized that my ground beef was frozen. I've been heating up the package by placing some hot running water over it.

Would it be a problem if i just placed the meat partially frozen in the skillet with oil and just started cooking it? I think it'd be fine but I just wanted to ask some of you cooks out there.[/QUOTE]
You should definitely stop doing that.

3 ways to defrost beef: in the fridge, in cold water, or in the mocrowave. Anything other than that you risk contamination of the beef.

I don't think I would even eat that beef at this point anymore.

Related question for you guys who are suggesting microwave defrosting:

Does anyone have the sort of microwave that has a grilling feature? What is your opinion of these? My microwave is older, and I am wondering if this is useful to look for when I need to replace it.

The standard microwaves don't brown the meats when they are cooked, so the appearance is less appetizing. This is what gaelan was probably talking about.

You can warm it up with water. It's not the safest way in the world but it's not going to make it a hellspawn of bacteria unless you did it all night. Cold water is better though.

And yes, you can brown it from a frozen state without issue. Just watch it. I wouldn't even add oil into the skillet.

Throw the brick in the skillet and cover it on low heat and let it sit. Check it every 5 minutes to flip and skin.

Defrost it in the microwave (if your microwave has a defrost mode). Cook it without oil. You really don't need the oil to brown ground beef.

You can cook it frozen, but get ready for scraping and risking burning the meat.

I say fuck it at this point. I won't eat any meat that has been defrosted in the microwave or any other way besides letting it sit and defrost in the fridge. It tastes different. Probably a mental thing though :)

Thanks for the help fellas. I've just started cooking it as is partially frozen and it seems to be working out fine. I'd offer you all some food, but email isn't that advanced yet. Maybe some day :D

[quote name='pimpinc333']I say fuck it at this point. I won't eat any meat that has been defrosted in the microwave or any other way besides letting it sit and defrost in the fridge. It tastes different. Probably a mental thing though :)[/quote]

I used to be just like this until I bought a microwave with a defrosting capability. Since it warms the meat in multiple stages, you don't run the risk of cooking it. I don't notice a taste difference. It could be that I only use 97/3 Ground Sirloin though...

[quote name='mtxbass1']I used to be just like this until I bought a microwave with a defrosting capability. Since it warms the meat in multiple stages, you don't run the risk of cooking it. I don't notice a taste difference. It could be that I only use 97/3 Ground Sirloin though...[/QUOTE]

Yea I have a defrost on my microwave also. I use usally 90/10 ground beef. I'm gonna go with the taste thing just being a mental thing of me knowing I defrosted it a different way then what im accustomed to.

bread's done
Back